GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Malavita, 2 invisible), 355 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,094
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,659
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sorry.......But another drapes theory #421705
08/03/07 05:38 PM
08/03/07 05:38 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Right just hear me out ;\)

IMO The shooters were about to kill mike by going in to the house, this explains why they needed Fredos information about the compound and where the corleone men were and how to get in to the house (assuming fredo was dumb enough to believe that Roth wanted to kidnap Mike and no harm would come to him). However as they are about to do it they see the drapes are open and try to kill mike but they mess it up.

Many people agree that Anthony opened the drapes to see where his father was (to see the pitcure). I also beieve that Kay probably got dressed in the bathroom and was too tired to see if the drapes were open (it was a long and tiring party)and went straight to bed, Then mike comes and then she realises the drapes are open.

Thats what i think. I'm not sure if anybody has came up with a conclusive answer to this or has said this before but thats my thought.

What do you think.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Zaf-the-don] #421715
08/03/07 06:03 PM
08/03/07 06:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I'm telling you, it was Manolo, the Gardner.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Zaf-the-don] #421948
08/04/07 11:37 PM
08/04/07 11:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
We are never told what information Fredo supplied to Ola and Roth.
If the shooters' plan was to enter Michael's home and nail him inside, they wouldn't have changed plans to shoot through the window if they saw that the drapes were opened. Professional hit men don't operate that way. It would have been less exacting, less precise, than sticking to the original plan, which would have been to get up close and personal before shooting Michael--and Michael only. Spraying the bedroom with machinegun bullets would not have been an acceptable substitute--unless that was the original plan.
And that's what I believe: Fredo opened the drapes to give them the opportunity to spray the bedroom with bullets and kill Michael--and anyone else who got in the way, including Kay and MIchael's kids if they were present. That's why the would-be killers use machine guns.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Turnbull] #422372
08/06/07 11:19 AM
08/06/07 11:19 AM
Indiana
B
Bozak Offline
Wiseguy
Bozak  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Indiana
Why did the shooters wait so long to shoot (other than theatrical purposes)? I mean, Michael was exposed for a couple of minutes as he walked in, looked at Anthony's picture, etc.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Bozak] #422378
08/06/07 11:56 AM
08/06/07 11:56 AM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
True, it could be a sign of them thinking about how they gonna kill mike, Up close and personal or through the window.

I dont think the killers were pros, because if they were they wouldnt have been that sloppy with the mechine guns.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Zaf-the-don] #422430
08/06/07 02:14 PM
08/06/07 02:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don
True, it could be a sign of them thinking about how they gonna kill mike, Up close and personal or through the window.

I dont think the killers were pros, because if they were they wouldnt have been that sloppy with the mechine guns.

Machine guns actually would be the logical choice if they were planning to shoot through the window (which is what I believe). There's no other way to be with machine guns than "sloppy," but they'd have the likelihood that at least some of the dozens of bullets they'd spray around would find their mark. Relying on a rifle to shoot into a bedroom whose lighting would be suboptimal would be far more risky.
The use of machine guns in that scene underscores Roth's ruthlessness--though Michael was the target, he obviously didn't care if Kay or anyone else (like the kids) got in the way. It also underscores why Michael was so desperate to find out who the traitor was--because Roth, with the traitor's help, would try again, and perhaps be even more ruthless.
I agree with Bozak that the main reason for the delay was for theatrical effect.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Bozak] #422486
08/06/07 05:45 PM
08/06/07 05:45 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Bozak
Why did the shooters wait so long to shoot (other than theatrical purposes)? I mean, Michael was exposed for a couple of minutes as he walked in, looked at Anthony's picture, etc.

There was NO reason to wait other than for 'theatrical purposes'.
Nor is there a reason for Kay to have even gotten undressed and into bed without ever ONCE noticing the drapes were open until her husband was standing in front of the window.

It simply could not have happened.

Had this been a real life hit, no professional gunman would've waited that long once Michael. Even if one did for whatever reason, his partner would not.

The wait is for US the audience, for DRAMATIC purposes... because the hit is to be unsuccessful.

Had this been a real life hit, it never would've even occurred this way, been botched this way and Michael would've been dead and there would be no movie, no theories, no nothing.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Turnbull] #422501
08/06/07 06:25 PM
08/06/07 06:25 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Machine guns actually would be the logical choice if they were planning to shoot through the window (which is what I believe). There's no other way to be with machine guns than "sloppy," but they'd have the likelihood that at least some of the dozens of bullets they'd spray around would find their mark. Relying on a rifle to shoot into a bedroom whose lighting would be suboptimal would be far more risky.
The use of machine guns in that scene underscores Roth's ruthlessness--though Michael was the target, he obviously didn't care if Kay or anyone else (like the kids) got in the way. It also underscores why Michael was so desperate to find out who the traitor was--because Roth, with the traitor's help, would try again, and perhaps be even more ruthless.
I agree with Bozak that the main reason for the delay was for theatrical effect.

Then i'm sure the Mechine guns were also used for theatrical effect. But then again the way the whole scene was (action packed) was for theatrical effect too. Looks like the Drapes question will never be solved. It must have been sloppy writing by Puzo and coppola or was it left open for a purpose.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Zaf-the-don] #422527
08/06/07 07:28 PM
08/06/07 07:28 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I don't think it was left open for a purpose, I'd just chalk it up to sloppy screen writing.

Plus, you have to remember, they had no idea that in 30 years there'd be a bunch of movie geeks, like us, discussing the movie through the Internet. If you told me 30 years ago there'd be an Internet I'd have called Bellevue on you.

Only Al Gore knew about the Internet in 1974.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Turnbull] #422752
08/07/07 11:11 AM
08/07/07 11:11 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Fredo opened the drapes to give them the opportunity to spray the bedroom with bullets and kill Michael--and anyone else who got in the way, including Kay and MIchael's kids if they were present. That's why the would-be killers use machine guns.

TB so you are saying Fredo knew it was going to be a hit?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: dontomasso] #422838
08/07/07 01:46 PM
08/07/07 01:46 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, that's what I believe. I can't prove it, of course. If you believe, as I do, that Fredo opened the drapes, you have to ask: for what purpose? Some here think Fredo was made to believe that Michael would be kidnapped, not whacked (what he meant when he told Johnny Ola, "you guys lied to me"). But even stupid Fredo could not possibly have imagined that simply kidnapping Michael and letting him survive would have resulted in anything beneficial for Fredo. Since Fredo knew his own brother and feared him (as we saw in some dialog twixt Fredo and Deanna at Anthony's party), he'd know that the only way he, Fredo would survive and benefit an attack on Michael would be for Michael to be killed. The violence of Fredo's anger and resentment in the boathouse scene caps it for me.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Turnbull] #422850
08/07/07 02:30 PM
08/07/07 02:30 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

You could be right TB, and if you are it puts Fredo's murder in a whole different light. This would mean that Fredo was lying to Michael even when he said "I didnt' know it was going to be a hit." And Michael would have had to have known Fredo was lying.
This did make Fredo a threat undercuts many of the arguments made on the boards about whether or not Michael went "too far" when he had Fredo whacked.

I certainaly agree that if Fredo would have acquiesed to Michael being kidnpped he would have acquiesced to Michael being killed. The whole point of a kidnapping is to put a ransom on the victims head...or else. So assuming for a minute Michael was kidnapped, you would have Tom, Neri,and Rocco doing the negotiations, and Fredo out of the loop anyway. Assuming they got them to cave on whatever the "negotiations" were, and Michael was released, and then Fredo suddenly got "something for him" then Fredo would be a suspect anyway. None of that makes sense, so the only reason to open the drapes was to allow for a hit. Unless of course Ola convinced Fredo he just wanted to watch Kay get undressed .

Last edited by dontomasso; 08/08/07 04:15 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: dontomasso] #422852
08/07/07 02:34 PM
08/07/07 02:34 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Unless of course Ola convinced Fredo he just wanted to watch Kay get undressed .

Just like when Christopher caught Paulie Walnuts going through Adriana's underwear drawer!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: pizzaboy] #423461
08/08/07 04:19 PM
08/08/07 04:19 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Well, if Wiengartner is right, maybe Fredo just was being passive-aggressive about how much he loathed the window treatments.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Zaf-the-don] #433205
09/10/07 12:45 PM
09/10/07 12:45 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It hit me like a thnderbolt this weekend. Anthony opened the drapes, and here's how.

In watching the Saga we know that Anthony was up and around well pasy his bedtime. We see him sittingnext to a very drunk Pentangeli, so it is logical that anyone else could also have gotten to him.

I think it is likely that Ola saw Anthony making that drawing of Michael, and told him "Anthony you could really surprise your dad by puttting this on his pillow....and while you are in there open the drapes really wide so he can see it when he comes to bed."

Assuming this happened, it would explain a lot about why Anthony is such a psychological mess...he may even have had a repressed memory about what he did.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: dontomasso] #433217
09/10/07 01:29 PM
09/10/07 01:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It hit me like a thnderbolt this weekend. Anthony opened the drapes, and here's how.

In watching the Saga we know that Anthony was up and around well pasy his bedtime. We see him sittingnext to a very drunk Pentangeli, so it is logical that anyone else could also have gotten to him.

I think it is likely that Ola saw Anthony making that drawing of Michael, and told him "Anthony you could really surprise your dad by puttting this on his pillow....and while you are in there open the drapes really wide so he can see it when he comes to bed."

Assuming this happened, it would explain a lot about why Anthony is such a psychological mess...he may even have had a repressed memory about what he did.

That's quite a limb you are going out on. So, someone is going to rely on a 7 or 8 year old kid to aid and abet an assassination. Also, I don't find any evidence that Anthony was a "psychological mess."

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: olivant] #433220
09/10/07 01:37 PM
09/10/07 01:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
Also, I don't find any evidence that Anthony was a "psychological mess."

Oh, Olivant you ARE blind...look what's happened to Anthony!

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: dontomasso] #433223
09/10/07 02:06 PM
09/10/07 02:06 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Anthony's fine!

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: pizzaboy] #433248
09/10/07 02:13 PM
09/10/07 02:13 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Anthony's NOT FINE
I don't wanna hear about it
Anthony's friends are your buttonmen!

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: dontomasso] #433334
09/10/07 03:50 PM
09/10/07 03:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Okay, what happened to him?

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: olivant] #433401
09/10/07 07:50 PM
09/10/07 07:50 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

He was a MUSICIAN!!!

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: olivant] #433411
09/10/07 08:22 PM
09/10/07 08:22 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

I don't find any evidence that Anthony was a "psychological mess."

I don't know about his being a "psychological mess" but the kid definitely had to have had mental problems.

Have you ever seen the deleted scene from the Saga where he runs off during his communion and comes upon the "family" soldiers and Kay chases after him and tries to shelter him from what he had just discovered? Couple that with the hit attempt in his house, his parent's bedroom, where his mother and father slept, where he and his sister came an played with their toys, and the kid had to have had some mental problems.

Not to mention the scene where Michael comes back to the house after Christmas and sees the little red car that he supposedly bought for his boy lying there in the snow as if it was uncared for and untouched. Anthony obviously wanted his father with him for Christmas more than that toy.

And after all he did lose his uncle Fredo, in a boating accident, after leaving the boat that he was supposed to be on with him. And the rumors about his father being responsible for his uncles death started to fly!

GFIII : "I have bad memories."

"Did he kill his own brother?"

I think that FFC threw all those little Anthony scenes in GFII to try and show us that Anthony was becoming affected by what Michael had become. Perhaps the kid really did become a psychological mess!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Don Cardi] #434020
09/12/07 07:59 AM
09/12/07 07:59 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I think that in Connie's state of mind - pissed at Michael for dis'n her and Merle - she told Fredo that she was going to have sex with Merle on Michael's bed. She told him that she was going to open the drapes so everyone could see them and this would humiliate and embarass Michael in front of his guests. When Fredo heard Connie's plan, he inadvertantly passed it on to Johnny Ola, knowing Johnny likes a good sex show (Superman in Havanna). Johnny then took this as a possible plan for seeing Michael in the bedroom, near the window. When Michael was to be informed that his sister was humpitating Merle, on his bed, with the drapes open; Michael would rush into the room, run to the window to shut the drapes and then be killed. Problem was Merle had a premature ejaculation and Connie passed out in the bathroom. Those were scenes that were edited out.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: MaryCas] #434035
09/12/07 08:43 AM
09/12/07 08:43 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
It was Troy Donahue all along.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: MaryCas] #434052
09/12/07 09:02 AM
09/12/07 09:02 AM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
I think that in Connie's state of mind - pissed at Michael for dis'n her and Merle - she told Fredo that she was going to have sex with Merle on Michael's bed. She told him that she was going to open the drapes so everyone could see them and this would humiliate and embarass Michael in front of his guests. When Fredo heard Connie's plan, he inadvertantly passed it on to Johnny Ola, knowing Johnny likes a good sex show (Superman in Havanna). Johnny then took this as a possible plan for seeing Michael in the bedroom, near the window. When Michael was to be informed that his sister was humpitating Merle, on his bed, with the drapes open; Michael would rush into the room, run to the window to shut the drapes and then be killed. Problem was Merle had a premature ejaculation and Connie passed out in the bathroom. Those were scenes that were edited out.

This is my favorite theory.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Sorry.......But another drapes theory [Re: Longneck] #434128
09/12/07 11:28 AM
09/12/07 11:28 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Finally someone around here is thinking straight!

No wonder Merle didn't have money to book passage on the Queen....he was a filure as a gigolo.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull