GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 381 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,068
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,367
Posts1,059,468
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fanucci - 2 questions / observations #420412
07/30/07 12:26 PM
07/30/07 12:26 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Fanucci

1. Fanucci is basically the only one wearing white in all the scenes he is in; white hat, white suit. What do you think was the reason for that choice of color (non-color)? Good guys wear white.

2. Vito goes through the whole charade with Fanucci about the payment of money from Clemenza and Tessio - the negotiation in the store - after which he stalks him from the rooftops then ambushes him in the hallway. Other than theatrics, why the whole charade with the money? He snuck up on Fanucci and killed him. He could have done that without the negotiations and the end result would have been the same. Vito - the hero of the neighborhood.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: MaryCas] #420416
07/30/07 12:36 PM
07/30/07 12:36 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Carson_Corleone  Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Made Member
Boat House
1. I think that was done to show he has wealth and to make him stand out.

2. This was a test Vito was conducting. He did it to show Fanucci he's not just another person Fanucci can harass. Since Vito convinced Fanucci to take less money, this sealed it for Vito that Fanucci wasn't such a big shot. Also, there is a deleted scene where Fanucci get's his throat slit by some kids, this also helped Vito realize Fanucci wasn't truly backed up by Maranzella, the Black Hand.

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Carson_Corleone] #420427
07/30/07 01:27 PM
07/30/07 01:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, Fanucci had heard a disco version of La Donna e Mobile and he was going to dance to it at the San Rocco party later that night.

In all probability it was vanity. And Vito wanted to mislead Fanucci into thinking that everything was going to go just as it had in the past - deception, pure and simple.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Carson_Corleone] #420430
07/30/07 01:29 PM
07/30/07 01:29 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Not sure about the white, MC, but the scene with the money negotiations is definitely as Carson stated, to make sure that Fanucci was not truly connected. Also, it gave Vito an alibi. Many people could attest that he had a protracted discussion with Fanucci in the coffee shop, and that Fanucci left that meeting alive, and was seen in the streets afterwards at the feast.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Sicilian Babe] #420444
07/30/07 01:46 PM
07/30/07 01:46 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Fanucci wore white, probably as vanity, and to show the people he was shaking down that he was a "grandee," someone whose physical appearance would show them he was bigger and better than they were--and not to be messed with.
In addition to establishing an alibi as SB said, Vito's charade may have been both a test, a precaution and a lesson in dealing with his new friends, Clemenza and Tessio. A test, because he wanted to see if they'd trust him with the negotiations and give him their share of the money to be paid to Fanucci. A precaution, because he didn't want the possibility that his new pals might rat him out--"Yeah, Vito said he'd kill Fanucci rather than pay him off." A lesson, because until then he'd been silent and passive, seemingly accepting Clemenza's leadership (and in a deleted scene, grunt work). But Fanucci's sudden death surprised his pals, made them wary of him for a while (per the novel) and finally cemented Vito's leadership.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Turnbull] #420472
07/30/07 02:58 PM
07/30/07 02:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think the coffe shop scene also manifested a Vito characteristic. He was like the shark that is supremely confident in his abilities and his intentions, and with little or no trepidation. If you recount the scenes where Vito dealt with others it is with that same confidence and fearlessness. And that confidence and fearlessness permitted Vito a little narcissism. The novel explains it better than I. Vito liked to, in a sense, drag things out. For example, he could have told Bonasera yes or no. But he enjoyed maneuvering people into a position of dependence, supplication, or misapprehension. he also could have told Sollozz yes or no over the phone or by messenger or whatever. But he enjoyed the joust, the performance.

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: olivant] #420483
07/30/07 03:12 PM
07/30/07 03:12 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Vito liked to, in a sense, drag things out. For example, he could have told Bonasera yes or no. But he enjoyed maneuvering people into a position of dependence, supplication, or misapprehension. he also could have told Sollozz yes or no over the phone or by messenger or whatever. But he enjoyed the joust, the performance.

That aspect of Vito's character is superbly portrayed in II, in his scenes with Sr. Roberto. They're among the best in the Trilogy.

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Turnbull] #420487
07/30/07 03:21 PM
07/30/07 03:21 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
It was my impression that Vito went to the meeting with Fannucci, just to put Fannucci at ease and his guard down. As we know, Fannucci was an "independent contractor", and I would imagine very suspicious of any new people he did "business" with.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: johnny ola] #420502
07/30/07 03:58 PM
07/30/07 03:58 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
As others have said, it was to give himself an alibi after the killing (Fannuci was alive when he left the shop), although the novel explains he didn't need one (The cops only talked to known hoods about Fannuci's murder, and even then they didn't really care too much about it). I also like the theory that it was another test to make sure (one last time, I guess) that Fannuci was NOT a big shot and didn't have any connections to Maranzalla or the Black Hand, although the novel says that Vito's offering less money was permissible (it specifically says that Fannuci might be persuaded to wait longer, or take nothing more).

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Turnbull] #420527
07/30/07 05:03 PM
07/30/07 05:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Vito liked to, in a sense, drag things out. For example, he could have told Bonasera yes or no. But he enjoyed maneuvering people into a position of dependence, supplication, or misapprehension. he also could have told Sollozz yes or no over the phone or by messenger or whatever. But he enjoyed the joust, the performance.

That aspect of Vito's character is superbly portrayed in II, in his scenes with Sr. Roberto. They're among the best in the Trilogy.

Exactly TB. Getting Roberto's agreement to allow Colombo to stay then bringing up the dog was pure hubris.

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: olivant] #420590
07/30/07 09:20 PM
07/30/07 09:20 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Thanks gang. Always nice to hear the opinions and perspectives of our members. It gives a another basis to watch the scenes the next time. And these scenes are some of my favorites of the trilogy. I think the Fanucci character is a bit exaggerated, but it provides context and contrast to develop the Vito character. Will I ever tire of these films? No way. I even find many things to like about III. Grazie paisanos.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: MaryCas] #420676
07/31/07 11:06 AM
07/31/07 11:06 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Check out a previous thread: "Was Fanucc a Finook?"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: dontomasso] #429922
08/29/07 10:03 AM
08/29/07 10:03 AM
F
FreddoN Offline
Associate
FreddoN  Offline
F
Associate
In the novel didn't Fanucci go to Vito's apartment? I think that's where the haggling over the money took place. He went looking for "his" money, not Vito going to see Fanucci. Vito then made sure people saw Fanucci leave the Corleone apartment alive and well and HAPPY, no sign that they had argued. Vito then made his way roof to roof to a building across the street from Fanucci's building. He went down the stairs, crossed the street and waited in the entranceway of Fanucci's building. He killed him just inside the entrance to his apartment building.

The white suit I think was a way of flaunting his supposed status. In those days, wearing white and keeping it clean, showed you didn't do manual work. Average people didn't do laundry like we do today.

An interesting point from the novel....Sonny witnesses his father killing Fanucci.

Last edited by FreddoN; 08/29/07 10:04 AM.
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: FreddoN] #429923
08/29/07 10:48 AM
08/29/07 10:48 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, in the novel the meeting took place in Vito's apt.

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: olivant] #429939
08/29/07 12:15 PM
08/29/07 12:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I never found it credible that Sonny witnessed Vito killing Fanucci. Vito was ultra-careful to assure that neighbors witnessed Fanucci leaving the apartment, and that no one witnessed his killing Fanucci.

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: Turnbull] #429966
08/29/07 02:28 PM
08/29/07 02:28 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

There is a nice parallel scene in GFIII related to Fanucci's final stroll through Little Italy. In that he makes a big deal of putting money on religious icon, while in GFIII Joey Zasa is parading around eating italian food and raffling off a car.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: dontomasso] #429977
08/29/07 03:20 PM
08/29/07 03:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes--examples of how FFC is always mixing violence with religious observation. Nasty touch: the statue of the Virgin falls in the gutter during the Zasa shootout.

Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: dontomasso] #430016
08/29/07 07:11 PM
08/29/07 07:11 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
During Fanucci's final stroll, Vito carefully stalks him from the rooftops and quietly accomplishes his goal.

During Zasa's final stroll, Vincent boldly and recklessly disrupts the entire procession to publicly accomplish his goal.

I remember thinking that this was done purposely to show the contrast between a young, deliberate Vito and a young, rash Vincent...and possibly to show Vincent's similar temperament to Sonny.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Fanucci - 2 questions / observations [Re: YoTonyB] #431282
09/04/07 03:58 PM
09/04/07 03:58 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Also both Fanucci and Zasa were gangsters who liked to cut "a bella figura."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull