GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (ChiTown), 403 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,415
Posts1,060,537
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Questions from Newbies #420247
07/29/07 10:10 PM
07/29/07 10:10 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline OP
Button
45ACP  Offline OP
Button
Oklahoma
The reason I'm starting this thread is to try and avoid the dreaded "try the search function" in answer to forum newbie questions, something I plan to do over the next few weeks, anyway.

Maybe other newbies will feel comfortable enough to add their "newbie questions" here as well, without starting a new thread each time.

Since I have had an opportunity to watch The Trilogy several times on AMC and Bravo over the past several days, I am now hooked. Fortunately for me, I ran across this forum through a Google search, and plan to study all of the threads over time.

However, there are some burning questions I have as I begin my quest to understand all the plot intricacies. (I have not read the books either). More than likely these questions have been asked before, but I need to know now, and ask for your indulgence . . .

1. (Part II) Vito Corleone was 9 years old when he came to America. He was married and had his first child (Santino) in 1917, right? Do we khow how old was Vito in 1917?

2. (Part II) Was Tessio the young guy who invited Vito to go to the theater with him to see his girlfriend/actress, and later told Don Fenucci to "sit down" inside the theater?

3. (Part II) Vito hides the pistols and later meets their owner, young Clemenza, who helps him steal a rug for his wife. What was the baby's name that Clemenza set on the new rug?

4. (Part II) Was this young Clemenza the same "fat" Clemenza of the 1940's, who later "dies of a heart attack?"

5. (Part II) Was Tessio the other guy at the Corleone dinner table with Vito and Clemenza the day Vito offered to take $50 from each of them and settle with Don Fenucci?

6. (Part II) How much time passed between the rug theft and the murder of Don Fanucci?

7. (Part II) Immediately after the murder, Vito returns to the stoop in front of his apartment and sits down with his wife and children. Santino appears to be about 6, and a "chubby" Fredo (obviously healed up from his bout with pneumonia) about 12 months older than baby Michael who Vito holds. Have I properly identified the children?

Bonus question: Does anyone recall a scene in GF or Part II where Godfather Michael smiles?

Thanks to anyone who take the time to answer.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #420249
07/29/07 10:18 PM
07/29/07 10:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
1. He was 24 when he started down the path to being the Godfather about the time he murdered Fanucci.

2. No, Genco

3. Santino

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. Well, it seems you have to go by the age of Sonny, but that seems too long.

7. Yes.

Michael barely manages a smile when he sees Kay at her school.

Last edited by olivant; 07/29/07 10:27 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: olivant] #420254
07/29/07 10:49 PM
07/29/07 10:49 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Carson_Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Boat House
Olivant pretty much has it covered. But Michael smiles in Part I when he asks Kay if she likes her lasagne.

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #420255
07/29/07 11:07 PM
07/29/07 11:07 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida

2. (Part II) Was Tessio the young guy who invited Vito to go to the theater with him to see his girlfriend/actress, and later told Don Fenucci to "sit down" inside the theater?

-No that was Genco, whose father owned the grocery store young Vito worked in, and eventually became Vito's consigleri

4. (Part II) Was this young Clemenza the same "fat" Clemenza of the 1940's, who later "dies of a heart attack?"

Yes

5. (Part II) Was Tessio the other guy at the Corleone dinner table with Vito and Clemenza the day Vito offered to take $50 from each of them and settle with Don Fenucci?

Yes

7. (Part II) Immediately after the murder, Vito returns to the stoop in front of his apartment and sits down with his wife and children. Santino appears to be about 6, and a "chubby" Fredo (obviously healed up from his bout with pneumonia) about 12 months older than baby Michael who Vito holds. Have I properly identified the children?

Yes

Last edited by johnny ola; 07/29/07 11:36 PM.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: johnny ola] #420258
07/29/07 11:12 PM
07/29/07 11:12 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
I think Mike cracked a couple of smiles when he was talking with Fredo in outside having drinks with him, and possibly once with Roth in Miami, when asked if he followed sports.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #420260
07/29/07 11:15 PM
07/29/07 11:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, .45ACP [big slow round]. You've posted in the right spirit for these boards. \:\)

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

1. (Part II) Vito Corleone was 9 years old when he came to America. He was married and had his first child (Santino) in 1917, right? Do we khow how old was Vito in 1917?

Dates are all over the place. In GF, the tombstone shown at his burial shows his birthdate in April 1887, which would make him 13 in 1900, when GFII opens. But he looks younger in that GFII opening scene--about 9 years old, which would jibe with a birth year of 1891. The flashback at the end of GFII shows Vito's birthday as December 7, not April 29, which is what's inscribed on his tombstone in GF. Go figure...
As for Santino: we never know his exact age in the films. The novel says he was 35 in 1945, giving him a birth year of 1910, same as Tom.

Quote:

That was Genco, not Tessio.

Quote:
3. (Part II) Vito hides the pistols and later meets their owner, young Clemenza, who helps him steal a rug for his wife. What was the baby's name that Clemenza set on the new rug?

That was Fredo.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Yes again.

Quote:
6. (Part II) How much time passed between the rug theft and the murder of Don Fanucci?

Not much time. Since Vito was out of work and his family presumably starving, he'd have had to have acted soon.

Quote:

Yes, broadly. I say "broadly" because the movie timelines are inexact compared with the novel's timelines, which aren't exactly models of precision, either. But that's not a big deal: we know the sequence of births of the Corleone children, and that's the important thing.

Quote:
Bonus question: Does anyone recall a scene in GF or Part II where Godfather Michael smiles?

In a deleted scene from GF, Michael is positively giddy in bed with Kay in a hotel in NYC, when he calls Tom to say he'll be coming to the family Xmas gathering at the Mall--prior to Vito being shot. I think I discerned the ghost of a smile on his face in Havana when Roth said, "The doctors would disagree, but what do they know?"
The only actor who smiled less than Pacino in the Trilogy was Robert Stack in the run of "The Untouchables" on TV. ;\)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: johnny ola] #420261
07/29/07 11:20 PM
07/29/07 11:20 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline OP
Button
45ACP  Offline OP
Button
Oklahoma
So it appears that about 6 years passed between the rug theft and the murder of Fanucci.

If Vito was 9 when he came to America, and Santino was born in 1917, then Vito was approximately 32 years old when he murdered Fanucci. I'm guessing Vito was about 5-6 years older than Clemenza and Tessio.

In the movie, it appeared that Vito (Brandon) was older than Tessio and much older than Clemenza.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Turnbull] #420264
07/29/07 11:41 PM
07/29/07 11:41 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida

[/quote]
In a deleted scene from GF, Michael is positively giddy in bed with Kay in a hotel in NYC, when he calls Tom to say he'll be coming to the family Xmas gathering at the Mall--prior to Vito being shot. I think I discerned the ghost of a smile on his face in Havana when Roth said, "The doctors would disagree, but what do they know?"
The only actor who smiled less than Pacino in the Trilogy was Robert Stack in the run of "The Untouchables" on TV. ;\) [/quote]

I thought I was the only that noticed that about Robert Stack.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: johnny ola] #420270
07/29/07 11:55 PM
07/29/07 11:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TB, you can hear them say Santino to the baby on the rug.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: olivant] #420278
07/30/07 12:04 AM
07/30/07 12:04 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: olivant
TB, you can hear them say Santino to the baby on the rug.

Just when I thought I was wrong and deleted my answer because of TB's post, they pull me back in.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #420285
07/30/07 12:30 AM
07/30/07 12:30 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
So it appears that about 6 years passed between the rug theft and the murder of Fanucci.

If Vito was 9 when he came to America, and Santino was born in 1917, then Vito was approximately 32 years old when he murdered Fanucci. I'm guessing Vito was about 5-6 years older than Clemenza and Tessio.

No. Don't figure in the numbers Turnbull gave you (they become way too confusing when you try to reconcile what the movie figures against what is in the novel).

Its generally accepted that Sonny was born in 1916 (although I believe Part II may have suggested it was 1917). In any event, according to Part II only, Vito was 9 years old when he arrived in the U.S. in 1901. His birthday was December 7th (remember the end of the movue flashback when Fredo said that the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor on Pop's birthday), so that meant Vito was born in 1891. Assuming that Vito killed Fanucci in 1920 (when Mike was an infant) he would have been about 28 years old. I'd say it was more like three years that passed between the theft of the rug and Fanucci's murder.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: SC] #420303
07/30/07 01:29 AM
07/30/07 01:29 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
At the end of partII the flash back scene doesn't Mike crack a little smile when Sonny intoduces Carlo to him?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Mignon] #420380
07/30/07 11:17 AM
07/30/07 11:17 AM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
Carson_Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Boat House
I think so Mignon, Michael also smiles when he's dancing with Appolonia at his wedding.

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: SC] #420386
07/30/07 11:37 AM
07/30/07 11:37 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: SC

No. Don't figure in the numbers Turnbull gave you (they become way too confusing when you try to reconcile what the movie figures against what is in the novel).

Its generally accepted that Sonny was born in 1916 (although I believe Part II may have suggested it was 1917). In any event, according to Part II only, Vito was 9 years old when he arrived in the U.S. in 1901. His birthday was December 7th (remember the end of the movue flashback when Fredo said that the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor on Pop's birthday), so that meant Vito was born in 1891. Assuming that Vito killed Fanucci in 1920 (when Mike was an infant) he would have been about 28 years old. I'd say it was more like three years that passed between the theft of the rug and Fanucci's murder.

It's always a wonder to me why Puzo and FFC didn't make GFII more consistent with the novel. For example, the novel says that while in Sicily Vito was a real man at age 12. So, why 9?

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: SC] #420456
07/30/07 02:15 PM
07/30/07 02:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: SC

Exactly. That's why I said, "Go figure..."

A possible reason for the discrepancies between Vito's birthdate of 1887 in GF, and 1891 in II, is that GF didn't show Vito's early years, nor was there any plan for GFII when GF was released. So, according to his tombstone in GF, Vito was 68 when he died in 1955--consistent with Brando's appearance in the heart attack scene.
II opens with that dramatic and stage-setting tale of Don Ciccio's massacre of young Vito's family and his escape. Drama, I believe, was greatly enhanced by showing a nine-year-old escaping the evil Don's clutches, than if he'd been a 13-year-old making his escape.
As SC said, it's pointless to try to reconcile dates in the novel with those in the films. The novel says Vito was 12 when his mother sent him to America to escape Ciccio's clutches. The time frame referred to is "...at the turn of the century...", which could encompass a wide range of years--say, from 1890 to 1910, or if you prefer, 1895-1905. Puzo left himself plenty of wiggle-room. What's more, a 12-year-old Vito is more credible as going to work in the Abbandando grocery than a 9-year-old Vito.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Turnbull] #420832
07/31/07 10:35 PM
07/31/07 10:35 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline OP
Button
45ACP  Offline OP
Button
Oklahoma
Why did the Cuban soldiers come marching into the hospital, where Hymen Roth was being treated, and immediately pull out a gun and shoot Michael's body guard (who was in the process of smothering Roth?)

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #420835
07/31/07 10:50 PM
07/31/07 10:50 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
Carson_Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Boat House
Why did the Cuban soldiers come marching into the hospital, where Hymen Roth was being treated, and immediately pull out a gun and shoot Michael's body guard (who was in the process of smothering Roth?)

I believe it was Fredo that tipped off the Cuban soldiers. When Fredo is scurrying off and Michael asks where he's going Fredo says, "I gotta get a real drink." And Michael gives him a suspicious look. I believe that suspicion was justified. A "real drink"? Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

There's no other way the soldiers would march in there unannounced, for no reason.

Last edited by Carson_Corleone; 07/31/07 10:51 PM.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Carson_Corleone] #420840
07/31/07 11:01 PM
07/31/07 11:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Carson_Corleone

I believe it was Fredo that tipped off the Cuban soldiers. When Fredo is scurrying off and Michael asks where he's going Fredo says, "I gotta get a real drink." And Michael gives him a suspicious look. I believe that suspicion was justified. A "real drink"? Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

There's no other way the soldiers would march in there unannounced, for no reason.

Yes, there is. Castro was moving on Havana and Batista was preparing to flee. He sent an escort to the hospital to retrieve Roth and see him out of the country.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: olivant] #420846
07/31/07 11:09 PM
07/31/07 11:09 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Another possibility is that Mrs. Roth, returning to her hotel suite after Hyman was checked into the hospital, discovered Johnny Ola's body and called her husband's contacts in the Cuban government to report the foul play. They immediately surmised that Roth was in danger, and dispatched that smart-looking military detachment to the hospital.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Turnbull] #421140
08/01/07 09:19 PM
08/01/07 09:19 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Yeah,i think they just found Ola's body and were alerted that something was up.Thats what i've always thought.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: whisper] #421894
08/04/07 07:35 PM
08/04/07 07:35 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline OP
Button
45ACP  Offline OP
Button
Oklahoma
Watching GF on Bravo tonight, the Corleone compound (mall?) that Clemenza and later Frankie take over, looks much bigger than it does in Pt II. In Pt II, when Frankie comes home and Michael is waiting for him, you can look across the street and see $5,000 houses (much like Hyman Roth's). In GF, all the surrounding houses are mansions. Any reason for this? I wonder if they shot that one scene in Florida on the same block as the Roth house?

Last edited by 45ACP; 08/04/07 08:13 PM.
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #421896
08/04/07 07:45 PM
08/04/07 07:45 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline OP
Button
45ACP  Offline OP
Button
Oklahoma
Why does Clemenza and Sonny keep reminding Michael to "drop the gun" right away after he whacks Sollozzo and the police captain? What's so important about dropping the gun right away?

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #421899
08/04/07 07:57 PM
08/04/07 07:57 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
Carson_Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Boat House
Why does Clemenza and Sonny keep reminding Michael to "drop the gun" right away after he whacks Sollozzo and the police captain? What's so important about dropping the gun right away?

Because if anyone catches you with the gun on you, you're screwed. Leave it there you can't be linked to the crime.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Carson_Corleone] #421932
08/04/07 11:07 PM
08/04/07 11:07 PM
Michael's car
ApolloniaVitelliCorleone Offline
Beautiful but Virtuous
ApolloniaVitelliCorleone  Offline
Beautiful but Virtuous
Wiseguy
Michael's car
In GF1 Micheal also smiles at Apollonia at the Sunday gathering across the table when he sees her fondling the necklace he has given her; She smiles back shyly and lowers her eyes.

"I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more."
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: ApolloniaVitelliCorleone] #422156
08/05/07 08:08 PM
08/05/07 08:08 PM
J
jeff Offline
Associate
jeff  Offline
J
Associate
This newbie thread was a good idea. I stumbled upon this site, and very helpful answering questions I had.
So here is my "newbie" question/opinion.
It has to do when Michael and Enzo are on the steps outside, ready to protect Vito.
When Mike is talking to Enzo, and right after lighting the cigarette, Mike seems to have an odd look, as he looks at Enzo. I think I read on here, it was because Mike thought Enzo was so nervous, yet Mike was under control.
I always thought it had to do with Mike thinking something was up, or something coming to him that Enzo is hiding something. That scene didnt sit right with me, for some reason. Or am I reading too much into it? Just seems Mike is thinking something there about Enzo.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: jeff] #422164
08/05/07 08:20 PM
08/05/07 08:20 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
You may be on to something Jeff,but i believe it is Michaels realization that he's so calm compared to Enzo.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: jeff] #422171
08/05/07 08:23 PM
08/05/07 08:23 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: jeff
When Mike is talking to Enzo, and right after lighting the cigarette, Mike seems to have an odd look, as he looks at Enzo. I think I read on here, it was because Mike thought Enzo was so nervous, yet Mike was under control.
I always thought it had to do with Mike thinking something was up, or something coming to him that Enzo is hiding something. That scene didnt sit right with me, for some reason. Or am I reading too much into it? Just seems Mike is thinking something there about Enzo.

Mike is thinking something about Enzo. But not what you're thinking that he thought. Mike realized that this boy Enzo stuck his neck out for Don Vito by not only risking his life, but also risking deportation by staying there and taking a chance at getting arressted. I believe that in the novel Michael makes sure that Enzo was taken care by the Corleones for sticking his neck out the way that he did.

As I have posted before about this scene, I feel that was the defining moment for Michael. He and Enzo face death when those cars pull up, and after they pull away Enzo, understandably is shaking uncontrolably. Mike takes the lighter and calmly lights Enzo's cigarette, and then looks long and hard at what he is calmly doing. I think at the very moment Michael realized that he could live this "life" without any problem. That he was a natural at it. I think that many things ran through his mind at that split moment. He also realized that had he not been there to stand outside and act like a bodyguard, his father would have been killed in that hospital. Mike, thinking all this knew that he now must get involved in order to save both his father's life and the family itself.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: Don Cardi] #422239
08/06/07 12:01 AM
08/06/07 12:01 AM
Michael's car
ApolloniaVitelliCorleone Offline
Beautiful but Virtuous
ApolloniaVitelliCorleone  Offline
Beautiful but Virtuous
Wiseguy
Michael's car
Michael also smiles when meeting all the guests at the New Years Eve gathering in Havana. He also smiles when Fredo orders a banana daquari earlier that day.

"I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more."
Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: ApolloniaVitelliCorleone] #422243
08/06/07 12:06 AM
08/06/07 12:06 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
He smiles a bit as a child ;\)

Re: Questions from Newbies [Re: 45ACP] #422341
08/06/07 09:53 AM
08/06/07 09:53 AM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline OP
Button
45ACP  Offline OP
Button
Oklahoma
Watching GF on Bravo tonight, the Corleone compound (mall?) that Clemenza and later Frankie take over, looks much bigger than it does in Pt II. In Pt II, when Frankie comes home and Michael is waiting for him, you can look across the street and see $5,000 houses (much like Hyman Roth's). In GF, all the surrounding houses are mansions. Any reason for this? I wonder if they shot that one scene in Florida on the same block as the Roth house?

Does anyone have an answer for this one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull