GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Malavita, Ciment, 2 invisible), 275 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,810
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why was Anthony acting weird #419255
07/26/07 06:53 AM
07/26/07 06:53 AM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Why was Anthony reluctant to see his mother when she meets him? Was mike manipulating his own son against his mother?

Last edited by Zaf-the-don; 07/26/07 06:54 AM.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Zaf-the-don] #419290
07/26/07 09:28 AM
07/26/07 09:28 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don
Why was Anthony reluctant to see his mother when she meets him? Was mike manipulating his own son against his mother?

Most likely in an indirect way. Anthony, it appears had a great love and respect for his father, and seeing how Mike didn't pay much attention to Kay, Anthony felt he shouldn't either.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: johnny ola] #419296
07/26/07 10:13 AM
07/26/07 10:13 AM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Thanks Johnny Ola that makes sense but what about when Kay says look whats happening to our boy during the fight, what did she mean by that?

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Zaf-the-don] #419297
07/26/07 10:24 AM
07/26/07 10:24 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
She was probably referring to his estrangment from her plus his being in the milieu that was Mike's Mafia way of life and she feared he was destined to join it.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: olivant] #419301
07/26/07 10:33 AM
07/26/07 10:33 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: olivant
She was probably referring to his estrangment from her plus his being in the milieu that was Mike's Mafia way of life and she feared he was destined to join it.

Agreed.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: johnny ola] #419380
07/26/07 03:03 PM
07/26/07 03:03 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Anthony was just weird. He loved his father but then became very estranged from him ... even contemptuous....but once Mike let him become an opera singer it seemed like everything was forgiven and forgotten.

I guess it just goes to show those artistic types are a bit twisted.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: dontomasso] #419661
07/28/07 04:40 AM
07/28/07 04:40 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Anthony didn't have an "average" up-bringing,therefor he's weird.With a life like his and being exposed to it,he was bound to go a little loopy.

Back to the question,Michael perhaps, could have told Anthony that his mother was a "bad person" etc

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: whisper] #420208
07/29/07 08:08 PM
07/29/07 08:08 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Carson_Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Boat House
He probably just liked Michael more because Kay had to raise him/discipline him and whenever Michael was around it was time for fun (Note: see massive communion party).

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Carson_Corleone] #420212
07/29/07 08:22 PM
07/29/07 08:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I'm not sure what anyone means by Anthony's acting weird. He's not in II very much and doesn't say much and in III he's grown.

Last edited by olivant; 07/29/07 08:22 PM.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Carson_Corleone] #420214
07/29/07 08:29 PM
07/29/07 08:29 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: Carson_Corleone
(Note: see massive communion party).

What a boring party for a boy. There were more adults there than kids.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Mignon] #420219
07/29/07 08:53 PM
07/29/07 08:53 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
Carson_Corleone  Offline
Made Member
Boat House
Good point Mignon, but I was referring to the "lots of presents" part of the party.

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Carson_Corleone] #420280
07/30/07 12:07 AM
07/30/07 12:07 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
That's probably the only part he liked about the party.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Mignon] #420318
07/30/07 08:44 AM
07/30/07 08:44 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Mignon

Thats the only part of any party that kids like.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: johnny ola] #420319
07/30/07 09:08 AM
07/30/07 09:08 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: johnny ola

Yeah, I'm sure all eight year olds would just love some long winded senator followed by the Siera Boys' Choir.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: dontomasso] #420462
07/30/07 02:41 PM
07/30/07 02:41 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Yeah, I'm sure all eight year olds would just love some long winded senator followed by the Siera Boys' Choir.

But, dt, you and I would have appreciated the quartet singing "Bella Figlia dell' Amore" (deleted scene) even if we were kids. ;\)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Turnbull] #420464
07/30/07 02:43 PM
07/30/07 02:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

But, dt, you and I would have appreciated the quartet singing "Bella Figlia dell' Amore" (deleted scene) even if we were kids. ;\)

They really deleted some lovely music from the communion scene.

But they left in the big dance number!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: pizzaboy] #423820
08/09/07 01:02 AM
08/09/07 01:02 AM
Michael's car
ApolloniaVitelliCorleone Offline
Beautiful but Virtuous
ApolloniaVitelliCorleone  Offline
Beautiful but Virtuous
Wiseguy
Michael's car
IMHO I think Anthony heard his mother say she got an abortion. He was standing just outside the room where Kay and Micheal were yelling at each other so he had to have heard her. As young as he was at the time I think maybe he understood what that meant as her follow up to that was to yell, "It was a son and I had it killed..." Poor kid with a cold distant father then to find out his mother killed his little brother before he was born.

No wonder that boy didn't want to kiss her!

"I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more."
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: ApolloniaVitelliCorleone] #424124
08/09/07 08:29 AM
08/09/07 08:29 AM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: ApolloniaVitelliCorleone
IMHO I think Anthony heard his mother say she got an abortion. He was standing just outside the room where Kay and Micheal were yelling at each other so he had to have heard her. As young as he was at the time I think maybe he understood what that meant as her follow up to that was to yell, "It was a son and I had it killed..." Poor kid with a cold distant father then to find out his mother killed his little brother before he was born.

This is an excellent observation AP. It puts everything into context, especially with Kay's "holier than thou" attitude toward Michael's penchant for having people whacked. At least Michael didn't whack any babies.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: 45ACP] #424191
08/09/07 10:58 AM
08/09/07 10:58 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: 45ACP

This is an excellent observation AP. It puts everything into context, especially with Kay's "holier than thou" attitude toward Michael's penchant for having people whacked. At least Michael didn't whack any babies.

I don't think that had anything to do with Anthony's estrangement from his mother. Since the inference is that Michael obtained custody of the children, one may also infer that Michael did as so many divorced parents do, he inveiged against Kay. Anthony was simply following his father's lead.

By the way, I am amused 45 by your holier than thou characterization of someone's reaction to multiple murder. Afterall, it is only murder that Michael contenances. How dare anyone object to that!

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: olivant] #424195
08/09/07 11:00 AM
08/09/07 11:00 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Uh, holier than thou was probably a poor choice of words.

Welcome to the BB.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: ApolloniaVitelliCorleone] #424336
08/09/07 02:32 PM
08/09/07 02:32 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss

That could be it but its left so open that any things possible.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: olivant] #424447
08/09/07 05:29 PM
08/09/07 05:29 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: olivant
. . . By the way, I am amused 45 by your holier than thou characterization of someone's reaction to multiple murder. Afterall, it is only murder that Michael contenances. How dare anyone object to that!

I was merely comparing a baby murderer to an adult murderer . . . both are guilty.

"Wherefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest. For wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself. For thou dost the same things which thou judgest."

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: 45ACP] #424567
08/09/07 09:14 PM
08/09/07 09:14 PM
Skid Row
Eddie_The_Cag Offline
Wiseguy
Eddie_The_Cag  Offline
Wiseguy
Skid Row
Getting back to why Anthony was acting somewhat strangely, I shall provide my speculations.

But first, I apologize in advance if this post becomes ponderous, but that was a really, really good question, and like any good question, it might take more than just a few words to answer it.

While trying to give my views, I will mention events in the order in which they are presented in the film, although I do mean to ultimately respond to the original question posed by Don Zaf, to wit:

<a tip of the hat to Don Zaf>

Here goes:

In the part of Godfather II, where Kay confronts Michael with the idea that his lifestyle and profession are doing harm to Anthony, the scene unfolds more or less as follows:

First we see a nanny and the children, Mary and Anthony, cooling their heels in a hallway in the Hotel Washington, probably just outside the room in which Michael and Kay are about to have their argument in.

Mary is skipping up and down in the hallway, cavorting happily and noisily, while while Anthony slumps against the wall silently and without movement. At first he seems like he might be bored, or for some reason, dejected.

After we hear what Michael and Kay have to say to one another, we might come to think that perhaps Anthony is actually depressed.

The couple begins their verbal fencing, and as Apollonia correctly pointed out, the kids could obviously hear what they had to say. Hell, the way those two were shrieking at one another, I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that all of DC heard what they had to say!

<the Cag bows cordially at donna Apollonia in thanks for the input>

Kay's first thrusts seem to show us that she's somewhat miffed-- and either jealous or morally outraged-- by the fact that Michael seems to have (once again and as usual) gotten away with virtual murder-- if not worse. Kay never really did approve of the family business, after all. So, she offers him a frosty congratulation for being "too smart for any of them to beat you". She then goes on to wonder aloud just what the hocus-pocus involving the Pentangeli brothers was all about...

Michael demurs gently. He more or less suggests that what happened between Frank and Vincenzo Pentangeli was their affair, and theirs alone. Kay seems to believe this about as much as I believe I will be the next Pope. Smart girl!

Kay, in apparent frustration, then decides to abandon the preliminary strokes and just go straight for Michael's heart by bringing up the specter of her taking off with the children.

At this point, she justifies her abandonment of him by saying, "Look-- look what's happened to us, Mike -- my God, look what's happened to our son, Michael!"

Michael denies that anything is wrong with Anthony. But then Kay goes on to remind Michael that Anthony's life is weird. For instance, she tells him that, "Anthony's friends... are your buttonmen!" They woof at one another before and after this dramatic statement...

Now, Mama Mignon and Don Tomasso <a respectful kiss on the hand of Mama Mignon, and a stately bow to Don Tomasso for their input> have clearly pointed out that Anthony's First Communion party was anything but the sort of bash that a kid his age would really have gotten off to.

Let's face it: he would probably have rather gone for pizza at an amusement park than to have put up with the sort of boring festivities he was actually treated to. And maybe this, when taken together with the fact that Anthony seems to hang around with adult soldiers and caporegima instead of regular children his age might all be enough to bring him down... but methinks there might-maybe have been more afoot than just these things...

We don't know how, exactly, Anthony and Mary are schooled. If they're in public schools the way Joe Bonanno's grandchildren were, then we might suspect that perhaps he suffers the castigation of his peers as a result of their father's identity, which was so vividly outed by the fact of the congressional committee and subsequent publicity. But somehow, I don't think that Michael would have put his first-born children in a public school... ah, but all of this is but bald speculation, and I can't stand by any of it. However, the fact remains that all children of notorious criminals (whether privately educated or not) tend to eventually pay a heavy social price at one point or another in their lives.

And let's go back to what Apollonia said: that Anthony was privy to such a dire conversation as the one in which Kay told Michael that she had killed (her exact word) Michael's son... Anthony's unborn baby brother.

We, as adults, can sit around and try to evaluate the relative criminality (or lack of it) when comparing the business of offing one's physically lethal business competitors and enemies against the business of aborting a child... but never mind us. Instead, let's consider the social mores that would have prevailed in Godfather II, where Kay has an abortion in the more restrictive social setting of the late 1950's. With this in mind, it is possible to say (without regard to my personal beliefs regarding homicide of any type) that it would have been rather easy for Anthony to cleave to the side of his very strong father instead of clinging to his now-outcast mother.

Finally, let's consider the scene in which Connie finds herself in the unhappy position of having to shoo Kay out the door because Michael just showed up:

When Connie woofs at Anthony to go over and kiss his mother, Anthony doesn't drag his butt. Instead, he RUNS over to her, and he hugs her strongly. But he still won't kiss her, especially not in front of his father. Anthony is trying to show loyalty to his father, despite his continuing affection for his mom. If Michael would have showed up thirty seconds later, maybe Anthony would have finally kissed her. Lord knows that this is what Connie and Kay wanted him to do... and maybe even what Anthony, in his heart of hearts, desperately longed to do.

The poor kid...

Somehow, I don't think that Michael would have actually gone so far as to try and overtly poison his son's attitude towards his mother, although I am certain that Mike's negative attitude towards Kay would have been palpable anyway. But to preach against her would have gone against the grain of Michael's heritage, within which, one's mother is somewhat akin to the Virgin Mary and is always to be loved-- no matter what. And again, I will mention the sort of social mien that prevailed in the late Fifties, when one didn't quite discuss family skeletons with one's children... until they were old enough to understand... if even then...

It would have been too impolite, too coarse... too low-life. Too humiliating!

Poor Anthony! He still loved her, but he is a conflicted child, with issues that have been mixed together as if by having his heart turned into puree by a high-dollar food processor. I cannot quite wonder at the fact that he is so mixed up, and so sad. I would have been amazed if he wasn't.

Putting it simply I will say this: the kid was under a lot of pressure, and we can expect pressurized children to be a bit tweaky at the very least.

I can only console myself on behalf of Kay and Anthony by reflecting that by the time of Godfather III, Anthony seems to have reconciled with his overwrought mother, and she has come to become his great sponsor insofar as his career as a performance artist is concerned. She's there to joust against Michael once again on Anthony's behalf, bless her heart! And if this hadn't been the case, I would have remained shattered.

When Michael closed the door in Kay's face, I cried about as hard as she did. It hurt like hell, because I sympathized with all of them! I was so upset that I personally shot half my crew for treason, even though none of them were disloyal!

That stupid movie! NOW look what you made me do!

Finally, with a chuckle and friendly wink at Don Tomasso, I must agree: those artistic types are usually kind of weird!

Alas! This stupid thing I wrote turned out to be too long. I'm sorry!

But as Frank Pentangeli once said,

You'll have to excuse me -- I'm tired, and I'm a little drunk!

See you in church!

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Eddie_The_Cag] #424578
08/09/07 09:28 PM
08/09/07 09:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Eddie, I'm not sure about your perceptions. For one, Anthony does take his time about walking over to his mother and he doesn't hug her. For two, Kay is already out the door when Michael shows up. There's no 30 seconds possible.

As I posted above, it's simple. Michael had custody of the kids and he probably led them to believe that their mother didn't love them or something similar. A custodial parent will sometimes do that depending on their level of avarice in an attempt to get back at the other parent. When Anthony grows up, matures, and begins to realize who his father is and what his father has done, he restores his relationship with his mother as it was meant to be. It's not a reconciliation; Anthony relaizes that he has been led astray.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: olivant] #424815
08/10/07 10:48 AM
08/10/07 10:48 AM
Zaf-the-don Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline OP
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Thanks for your input Eddie and welcome to the boards.

Re: Why was Anthony acting weird [Re: Zaf-the-don] #429487
08/26/07 06:19 PM
08/26/07 06:19 PM
USA
J
JMDII Offline
Wiseguy
JMDII  Offline
J
Wiseguy
USA
Maybe Anthony is pissed because Kay threw out his favorite G.I. Joe and sent him to bed without ice cream. Lousy ass Kay.

JMD

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull