GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JGil916), 277 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,596
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lame death scenes in GF III #417260
07/19/07 11:26 AM
07/19/07 11:26 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
I was watching GF III on AMC yesterday and I was struck by either the poor acting or the the poor script of how these characters died:

1) The worst was the death of Don Altobello being killed by the poisoned cannoli, given as a gift by Connie. I think it was a clever touch, but the way the character died while eating the cannoli at the opera was just so ludicrous.

2) The killing of Don Lucchesi by Calo with Lucchesi's own glasses. Again, it was clever, but so unlikely.

Honoroable mention: While it was very traumatic to the other characters, I thought Mary's death scene was also poorly done. I think the main problem was Sophia Coppola's poor acting skills.

I think these death scenes stretched the credibility with the audience.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: goombah] #417266
07/19/07 11:53 AM
07/19/07 11:53 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
 Originally Posted By: goombah

2) The killing of Don Lucchesi by Calo with Lucchesi's own glasses. Again, it was clever, but so unlikely.

Agreed with all....they check Calo for weapons and then let him whisper in Lucchesi ear?? Credibility out the window.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: MaryCas] #417268
07/19/07 11:56 AM
07/19/07 11:56 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Agreed with all....they check Calo for weapons and then let him whisper in Lucchesi ear?? Credibility out the window.

Not to mention him "being clean", just like Mike was with Sollozzo.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: goombah] #417297
07/19/07 12:55 PM
07/19/07 12:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I was watching GF III on AMC yesterday and I was struck by either the poor acting or the the poor script of how these characters died:

1) The worst was the death of Don Altobello being killed by the poisoned cannoli, given as a gift by Connie. I think it was a clever touch, but the way the character died while eating the cannoli at the opera was just so ludicrous.

Honoroable mention: While it was very traumatic to the other characters, I thought Mary's death scene was also poorly done. I think the main problem was Sophia Coppola's poor acting skills.

I think these death scenes stretched the credibility with the audience.

I agree with #2. Killing someone with glasses stretches credulity. But Altobello's death was consistent with poisoning. It would have caused respiratory distress and the depfrivation ofd oxygen to the brain would have resulted in a coma like state that would have led to brain death - nothing more dramatic than that.

Now, #3. There is theis misconception out there that, when shot, everyone reacts the same. At 16, my sister was shot in the upper thigh. Yet, she managed to quickly walk some distance across the floor. I was shot in the left arm. It spun me around and I ended up face down, but didn't feel anyhting. Why? Shock. Mary was shot in the center chest apparently. The slug probably hit at least part of her heart which sent it into trauma. The look on her face and her dropping to her knees was quite consistent with shock. There's not that much actiong that one can do to mimic shock. It varies from person to person. Those of you who have been in combat know what I'm talking about.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: olivant] #417300
07/19/07 01:03 PM
07/19/07 01:03 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I didn't think Mary's death was horrible, but I agree on the glasses. Luchese's body guard had a GUN, but before he could draw it and shoot, Calo could kill Luchese with a pair of glasses?

As for the cannoli death, it could have been a brilliant touch, but Eli Wallach who was terrible throughout the movie couldn't even act dead very well.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: dontomasso] #417307
07/19/07 01:08 PM
07/19/07 01:08 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Part 3 has many bad deaths but dont forget the clothes hanger in part 2, that was preety bad, maybe not had bad as part 3 deaths but still preety bad.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: Zaf-the-don] #417336
07/19/07 01:43 PM
07/19/07 01:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don
Part 3 has many bad deaths but dont forget the clothes hanger in part 2, that was preety bad, maybe not had bad as part 3 deaths but still preety bad.

I think the GFII clotheshangar death scene and the Lucchese death scene compete for the worst.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: dontomasso] #417394
07/19/07 02:59 PM
07/19/07 02:59 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
As for the cannoli death, it could have been a brilliant touch, but Eli Wallach who was terrible throughout the movie couldn't even act dead very well.

You articulated it better than what I originally posted. The idea of poisoning Altobello was great, but I just thought it was implausible that he appeared to stop moving like a robot would when the batteries die.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: goombah] #417397
07/19/07 03:02 PM
07/19/07 03:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

You articulated it better than what I originally posted. The idea of poisoning Altobello was great, but I just thought it was implausible that he appeared to stop moving like a robot would when the batteries die.

If you haven't you might read my post above. A poison may act on the respitory system or the nervous syetem generally. in that case, Altobello might be gasping for breath at one point as his chest heaved. Those might also be spasms as portions of his system shut down. I didn't find it all that unusual.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: olivant] #417691
07/20/07 08:29 AM
07/20/07 08:29 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
 Originally Posted By: olivant

Those of you who have been in combat know what I'm talking about.

What war were you involved in? Vietnam?

Well I am afraid Micheal's death ranks third following clotheshangar death scene and the Lucchese death scene. If Micheal suddenly died, he would have been sitting quietly on the chair. But the first time I watched the GF III, I was amused by the fact that Al Pacino moved his body on purpose forth slowly to let himself fall down to the ground.

Last edited by wtwt5237; 07/20/07 08:30 AM.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: wtwt5237] #417723
07/20/07 11:21 AM
07/20/07 11:21 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
 Originally Posted By: wtwt5237

Well I am afraid Micheal's death ranks third following clotheshangar death scene and the Lucchese death scene. If Micheal suddenly died, he would have been sitting quietly on the chair. But the first time I watched the GF III, I was amused by the fact that Al Pacino moved his body on purpose forth slowly to let himself fall down to the ground.

I purposely did not list Michael's death. I think the point of the scene was to show how Michael lost everyone important to him and that he was alone at the end of his life. His arm just fell limp when he died. I don't think it was as much of a stretch as the others I mentioned. His body was slumped when he died and the weight just naturally made him fall over onto the ground. I thought Pacino broke his fall somewhat, but I found the Michael death scene much more believable than the deaths of Altobello & Lucchesi.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: goombah] #417728
07/20/07 11:29 AM
07/20/07 11:29 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Well, it wasn't lame, but Archbishop Gilday's murder was EXTREMELY far fetched. Are we to believe that Al Neri just slipped by the Swiss guards at the Vatican? In reality, they probably would have cut his throat with one of those swords that they carry around.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: goombah] #417730
07/20/07 11:30 AM
07/20/07 11:30 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: wtwt5237

I purposely did not list Michael's death. I think the point of the scene was to show how Michael lost everyone important to him and that he was alone at the end of his life. His arm just fell limp when he died. I don't think it was as much of a stretch as the others I mentioned. His body was slumped when he died and the weight just naturally made him fall over onto the ground. I thought Pacino broke his fall somewhat, but I found the Michael death scene much more believable than the deaths of Altobello & Lucchesi.

I agree. An elderly man sitting on a narrow seat chair who suddenly loses control over his posture is going to be quite susceptible to gravity. It was realistic. The scene was intended to illustrate not only his physical fall, but his moral and familial fall.

To WT: yes, Vietnam.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: goombah] #427478
08/20/07 01:38 PM
08/20/07 01:38 PM
Roma, Italia
CrazyJoey Offline
Associate
CrazyJoey  Offline
Associate
Roma, Italia
I'm so glad someone clarified that Altobello was killed with the poisoned canolli. I watched GF III four times now, mostly just the scenes w/Andy Garcia, and it finally hit me that's what Connie did.

The first time I saw it, I thought of something sexual with her and the canoli.

It also took all those viewings to figure out the whole Vatican/Pope conspiracy plot...because I kept fast forwarding through all the dialogue.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: CrazyJoey] #427479
08/20/07 01:41 PM
08/20/07 01:41 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
When Connie takes a bite of the Canolli in front of Altobello,it always looked like she was mimicking fellatio.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: whisper] #427480
08/20/07 01:48 PM
08/20/07 01:48 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The guy getting shot while grabbing his "lucky coat" was pretty awful.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: dontomasso] #427481
08/20/07 01:49 PM
08/20/07 01:49 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
The guy getting shot while grabbing his "lucky coat" was pretty awful.

Probably the worst.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: whisper] #428148
08/22/07 12:23 PM
08/22/07 12:23 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
When Connie takes a bite of the Canolli in front of Altobello,it always looked like she was mimicking fellatio.

Maybe she was thinking about Merle.

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: dontomasso] #428169
08/22/07 02:44 PM
08/22/07 02:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under

Maybe she was thinking about Merle.

I disagree. When she does, she barely parts her lips. It hardly mimicks fellation. Madonne!

Re: Lame death scenes in GF III [Re: dontomasso] #428224
08/22/07 09:30 PM
08/22/07 09:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

You said it, dt! Oh, how awful!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull