GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, 1 invisible), 582 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Novel vs. The GF Trilogy #27805
04/15/05 02:54 AM
04/15/05 02:54 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline OP
Made Member
Lollie  Offline OP
Made Member
Michigan
I am about 1/3 through the GF book. Although I find it interesting and it also fills in many gaps that are left out of the movie, I also have to say that the novel portrays the various characters in VERY different ways than the GF Trilogy does. It is rather disappointing to me, actually. I suppose it has to do with the fact that I saw the movies BEFORE I read the book. But, I find the characters in the book rather hostile and not at all like they are portrayed in the movie. Michael seems much more hostile toward Sonny in the book than in the movie. The whole relationship between the brothers (including Tom) is much more negative (I think) than how it is portrayed in the movie.

I have to say that, although the book has provided a lot of information, it is not as satisfying as I thought it would be. Perhaps it will get better as I go further into the book.

Anybody else get the same or similar take?

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Novel vs. The GF Trilogy #27806
04/15/05 10:50 AM
04/15/05 10:50 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally posted by Lollie:

Anybody else get the same or similar take?

~~ Lollie
Identical feeling. Even I watched the movies before reading the book (though only till book 1). Not only is michael more hostile towards sonny, but also talks a lot, compared to the movies where his silence was more powerful. But this being the trilogy forum, movies will be ultimate truth( Just for Me atleast wink )

Re: Novel vs. The GF Trilogy #27807
04/15/05 02:31 PM
04/15/05 02:31 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Give Mike a break, he's just a college boy. He'll become less and less talkative.
What makes this book so unique, is the development of character, incredible knowledge of human nature and portrayal of subtleties in it and in the processes of human mind.
I can write endless hymns to every line, every phrase in the main storyline, but I believe that with time you'll come to appreciate such things yourselves. Of course it's impossible on the first reading, who doubts.
As to someone's being hostile, I can't see where you got that. I feel the intercourse within the family to be portrayed with much more warmth and autenticity in the book than in the movie.
Read on! wink

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Novel vs. The GF Trilogy #27808
04/15/05 03:41 PM
04/15/05 03:41 PM
new york
M
mcorleone2774 Offline
Wiseguy
mcorleone2774  Offline
M
Wiseguy
new york
I agree with you on the development of the various characters through the novel. Although each character experiences both physical and mental changes (Vito Corleone the most) the changes are not implausible nor what would be uncharacteristic of them.

Truly Puzo was a great storyteller, and experienced at people, how they view the world, and how they affect the ones closest to them.

Re: Novel vs. The GF Trilogy #27809
04/15/05 07:17 PM
04/15/05 07:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Now, just think of the actor that you dislike the most and put him in the movie role of Michael instead of Pacino. Would you still think that the movie was better than the book? A movie stimulates different parts of the brain than a book does. A book requires that our brains work harder than when we view a movie. A book requires that we work; a movie only requires that we view it. It's an intellectual difference.

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Novel vs. The GF Trilogy #27810
04/16/05 11:43 AM
04/16/05 11:43 AM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
What can you do? Hollywood likes to sugarcoat things; especially in the 70s, when movie goers weren't used to seemingly depressing films such as now (it seems like happy-endings are a no-no now, although the Godfather didn't exactly have a happy ending... But that is mostly due to the novel).

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull