GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 537 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Abbandando #27762
04/14/05 01:18 PM
04/14/05 01:18 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

This is the name of the public relations flak who is handing out press kits at the party in GFIII, and who also is in Rome keeping up on the Pope's health.

This is the same surname of the family which owned the grocery store where young Vito worked, and presumably the son of that grocer was Genco Abbandando, the Don's consigliere. I have two questions (Im counting on ya Turnbull)

Is this Abbandando Genco's son or grandson? He would seem to be too young to be a son, because Genco's children would be the same ages as the Corleones of Mikes generation.

Also, was there any reason given for the deletion of the Genco's deathbed scene from the GF movie. There is a poignant interchange between Michael and the Don in there.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Abbandando #27763
04/14/05 01:46 PM
04/14/05 01:46 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
I believe that Abbandando is Genco's grandson. I am pretty sure that he is Michael's godson.

As for the deleted scene, it wasn't as important as the other scenes. Yes, it was poignant and would have increased the story, but the film had to be cut down and so they were forced to delete some good scenes. I especially like the ones focusing on Sonny after Vito is shot. It was great character development for Sonny that I think the film needed.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
Re: Abbandando #27764
04/14/05 01:58 PM
04/14/05 01:58 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
The really important deleted footage is Fabrizzio's killing. The movie might have gone pretty well without many other stuff that was left in! mad

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Abbandando #27765
04/14/05 02:58 PM
04/14/05 02:58 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

JM if I am not mistaken there are two versions of Fabrizzio's killing, neither of which made GF or GFII. The first is where Michael does it himself, and the second is where Fabrizzio, now in Buffalo NY walks out of a pizza parlor and blows up when he starts his car.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Abbandando #27766
04/14/05 03:10 PM
04/14/05 03:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
IMO, the Genco deathbed scene was the most important of the deleted scenes. It started with the Don and Michael waiting to be driven to the hospital. The cool feelings twixt the Don and Michael are set in this part when the Don asks Michael if his "American girlfriend" got home ok, then rolls his eyes to show his disapproval. Then he dismisses Michael's medals as "Christmas ribbons" and remarks, scornfully, "What miracles you perform for strangers." The Genco deathbed scene itself tells us a lot about peoples' expectations of the Don, and also sets the stage for Tom's ascension as consigliere.
Of the two Fabrizio death scenes, the car bombing was a deleted scene included with the DVD extras disc and in the spliced-for-TV "Saga." The scene where Michael kills Fabrizio has never been shown in any version.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Abbandando #27767
04/14/05 03:40 PM
04/14/05 03:40 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by dontomasso:
JM if I am not mistaken there are two versions of Fabrizzio's killing, neither of which made GF or GFII. The first is where Michael does it himself, and the second is where Fabrizzio, now in Buffalo NY walks out of a pizza parlor and blows up when he starts his car.
Yes, you're not mistaken. For further information visit this great thread: Fabrizio

Re: Abbandando #27768
04/14/05 04:12 PM
04/14/05 04:12 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by Turnbull:
IMO, the Genco deathbed scene was the most important of the deleted scenes. It started with the Don and Michael waiting to be driven to the hospital. The cool feelings twixt the Don and Michael are set in this part when the Don asks Michael if his "American girlfriend" got home ok, then rolls his eyes to show his disapproval. Then he dismisses Michael's medals as "Christmas ribbons" and remarks, scornfully, "What miracles you perform for strangers." The Genco deathbed scene itself tells us a lot about peoples' expectations of the Don, and also sets the stage for Tom's ascension as consigliere.
I understand the length of GFI was an issue, but I think this scene is too important to have left on the cutting room floor. Turnbull is right on - we get so much information out of this scene. Without having read the novel, the viewer doesn't know the degree in which Michael wants to distance himself from his father's business. What we see "That's my family, Kay, it's not me" is rather vague without the Genco scene.

With the Genco scene, the point of how Michael had a completely different life planned is reinforced with the flashback book-end scene of GFII in which Michael joins the Marines. And I think leaving the scene in would have made the part in III where Anthony said, "I will always be your son. But I will never have anything to do with your business" much more resonant.

Re: Abbandando #27769
04/14/05 04:41 PM
04/14/05 04:41 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
I also found it a little odd on my first viewing of The Godfather when Tom and Sonny are in a fight and Sonny yells something like "Pop had Genco and I have you!" It caused some confusion and I didn't get it until I actually read the book.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
Re: Abbandando #27770
04/15/05 02:38 AM
04/15/05 02:38 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
Genco was Abbandando's son. In the scene where Fanucci is telling Abbandando that he must hire Fanucci's nephew, Genco is sitting with Vito having lunch or something to eat. He says something to Vito about "Fanucci is demanding more money--even from my FATHER." So, Genco is Abbandando's son, not grandson.

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: Abbandando #27771
04/15/05 08:24 AM
04/15/05 08:24 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

The Abbabdando to whom I am referring is the character named Abbandando in GF III. He is the PR flak handing out press kits at the party in the Manhattan apartment. I am wondering if he is a member of the Genco family who remained a next generation Corleone retainer (much like Enzo the Baker). If so he would have ben Genco's grandson I would think.

Re: Abbandando #27772
04/15/05 09:46 AM
04/15/05 09:46 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by dontomasso:
The Abbabdando to whom I am referring is the character named Abbandando in GF III. He is the PR flak handing out press kits at the party in the Manhattan apartment.
That was Genco's son (according to "The Godfather Legacy"). That should have made him ABOUT the same age as Michael (but he appeared to be younger). His role was as Michael's public relations director.

BTW - The actor who portrayed him, Don Novello, is the same guy who used to play Father Guido Sarducci on "Saturday Night Live".

Re: Abbandando #27773
04/17/05 11:51 AM
04/17/05 11:51 AM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
I believe Genco Abbandando didn't have a son.

Re: Abbandando #27774
04/17/05 11:54 AM
04/17/05 11:54 AM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally posted by Peter_Clemenza:
I believe Genco Abbandando didn't have a son.
Now, why would you say that? You see very little of Genco, there is no way that you could possibly come to the conclusion. SC is right, Genco did have a son, Dominick, played by Don Novello.

Re: Abbandando #27775
04/17/05 11:59 AM
04/17/05 11:59 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Originally posted by Moscarelli:
I believe that Abbandando is Genco's grandson. I am pretty sure that he is Michael's godson.
He is probably Genco's son, but Michael Rizzi, Connie's son, is Michael's godson.

" Michael Francis Rizzi, will you be baptized? "

" I will. "

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Abbandando #27776
04/17/05 03:24 PM
04/17/05 03:24 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
[b] I believe Genco Abbandando didn't have a son.
Now, why would you say that? You see very little of Genco, there is no way that you could possibly come to the conclusion. SC is right, Genco did have a son, Dominick, played by Don Novello. [/b]
I think P_C was right in his own way, referring to the novel Genco had three daughters.
But FFC is so creative...
After all what is a mere written fact? What a bit in eternity. grin
For example he resurrected Calo, who was officially dead with Apollonia.

Re: Abbandando #27777
04/17/05 04:17 PM
04/17/05 04:17 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally posted by JustMe:
[b]
[b] I believe Genco Abbandando didn't have a son.
Now, why would you say that? You see very little of Genco, there is no way that you could possibly come to the conclusion. SC is right, Genco did have a son, Dominick, played by Don Novello. [/b]
I think P_C was right in his own way, referring to the novel Genco had three daughters.
But FFC is so creative...
After all what is a mere written fact? What a bit in eternity. grin
For example he resurrected Calo, who was officially dead with Apollonia. [/b]
Does it really matter is Calo lived or not? To be honest, my greatest dissapointment with Coppola is inventing Vincent Mancini who was never mentioned in the book confused . But, I really would hate to make this another Godfather III topic or even one open to debate... ohwell

Re: Abbandando #27778
04/18/05 08:39 AM
04/18/05 08:39 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Does it really matter is Calo lived or not?
Sure it doesn't. Nothing matters. wink
Calo wouldn't agree with it, though... grin grin
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Moscarelli:
<strong> To be honest, my greatest dissapointment with Coppola is inventing Vincent Mancini who was never mentioned in the book confused . But, I really would hate to make this another Godfather III topic or even one open to debate... lol

Re: Abbandando #27780
04/18/05 11:10 AM
04/18/05 11:10 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by Partagas:
I also thought it was iteresting that Vito made a point to only take his biological sons to pay their last respects to Genco. Yeah, we know that Tom was never adopted BUT he he was just as much a son as the Sonny, Michael, or Fredo.

I guess it may have had something to do with Tom taking over as Consigliere from Genco??? Or am I just reading to much into this? I cant rememebr if the book mentioned anything about Tom not going.
It's explained in the book but only implied in the movie. Tom was on his way to California to meet with Woltz on Johnny's behalf.

Re: Abbandando #27782
04/18/05 02:14 PM
04/18/05 02:14 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
In the book he didn't take only biological sons with him, but also Johnny Fontaine.

Re: Abbandando #27784
04/18/05 03:07 PM
04/18/05 03:07 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
[QB So am I making too big of a deal about Tom NOT being there? I know he had to take off to California, but surely he could have got a different flight. [/QB]
Well... We don't know if there was a convenient flight. It's Don who said that Tom won't have enough time preparing for his journey. Maybe he needed to contact Goff and settle everything that was agreed during the wedding day before he left...

Re: Abbandando #27785
04/18/05 03:11 PM
04/18/05 03:11 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by JustMe:
[b] In the book he didn't take only biological sons with him, but also Johnny Fontaine.
Yeah you are right. I forgot about that. So am I making too big of a deal about Tom NOT being there? I know he had to take off to California, but surely he could have got a different flight. [/b]
I can't remember whether it was the movie, the novel, or both, but Vito wanted to settle "this business for Johnny right away (emphasis added).. If Vito wanted Tom to pay his respects to Genco, then Vito would have stated so specifically.

Re: Abbandando #27786
04/20/05 01:44 PM
04/20/05 01:44 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, it was the late 1940's. Air travel was not as common as it is now, so perhaps there weren't that many flights to California. Also, perhaps because Tom would be taking Genco's job, maybe that would be a little awkward, like he was hovering over him, waiting to step into his shoes.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Abbandando #27787
04/20/05 03:43 PM
04/20/05 03:43 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Not only were there not many flights to California, Tom must have had to "pull some strings" to get a flight out of New York on the same day Connie got married. I wonder if he got to dance with the bride? I am guessing he flew to Chicago, then to Denver then to LA all on DC3's and that must have taken him 15 hours.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull