GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 537 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MC, IMO #27742
04/13/05 04:23 PM
04/13/05 04:23 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline OP
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline OP
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Michael Corleone...

Michael Corleone is easily the most complex character in The Godfather Trilogy. There are many different theories about him and what he does and how he responds to his environment. Here is my humble, but unique, opinion of the great Michael Corleone.

To make it easy to understand, I think that it would be best to put his life in chronological order to show his character development.

-Michael Corleone is born into a Mafia family. As a child, the unique personalities of all Corleones (and Hagen smile ) are shown. Sonny is a hot tempered but lovable guy. Fredo is a dumb witted, simplistic guy, but is also easy to love. Tom Hagen is a smart, mature boy, whom is willing to be by his friend, Sonny's side all the way. And then, there is Michael. Little old Michael. He is young and impresionable, and is seeking the truth behind his father's business.

-Sonny sees his father kill Fanucci, and so he soon joins the family, along with his buddy, Tom. Fredo and Mike though, while both loved dearly by both of their parents, are considered outcasts in the Corleone CRIME family.

-By the time Michael graduates high school, he has established too very important things. 1, Michael knows what his father does. He knows that Vito makes money off of killing people. He knows that Sonny and Tom are also working with him. Fredo is too dumb to care, but Michael admires his father and is willing to do anything to gain, what seems to be, as much acceptance as Sonny. Now, in reality, Sonny was loved no more then Michael, but form Michael's point of view, it may seem like this. 2, Michael realizes that what his father does is wrong, and so he is forced to juggle his choices. He can either join the law firm that Vito has set up for him and gain more acceptance as a legit guy, uncapable dirtying his hands like Sonny. Or, he could join the army. He would, at least in Michael's eyes, lose some acceptance from his father, but, he would prove that he has the strength to kill, to be like his brother, Sonny.

-Michael joins the army. In war, michael was forced to kill men for the sake of someone he doesn't even know. When he is back from war, he feels the guilt of killing an innocent man whose only fault was being born in another country. He decides to return to New York and join his family once again.

-He has Kay know, whom he met in college, and he feels that he is finally happy. At Connie's wedding, Michael has the love of his family, and the love of Kay. All is good. Though, deep down inside, he sees Vito, Sonny, and Tom, not even a biological son, enter the Corleone office and speak with men about private business. Michael still feels that he is an outcast. And from this, grows rage. rage that he hadn't felt since he killed in the war. He is guilty of this rage and so he promises to himself, and to Kay,that he will never work for his father. He, because of this, as too many emotions going at once. He feels that he is an outcast, though to be accepted, he must do something that would only bring him more guilt.

-Then, his father is shot. Now, that guilt is gone. The rage of his father's almost death combines with his fear of being outcast. He now knows what he must do. He must kill. He tries to sneak in on Sonny whenever possible to show that he can be apart of the Family (i.e., a deleted scene shows Michael ocnversing with Sonny who Vito's traitor is, Michael sits in when Sonny receives the fish, wrapped in Luca's vest, and of course, Michael is there to suggest his cure to the McClusky Solozzo problem).

-While he is at the hospital, after he hides Vito, it is very obvious that he is calm, compared to Enzo and even Sonny. It is now, that Michael feels all the more confident in his crudentials for being what he always admired, a mafioso.

-While he is talking with Sonny about killing Solozzo, he could merely tell them to come out to the newspapers about McClusky and Solozzo. he is smart enough for that. But, he wants to kill. He wants to rpove to his father and his brother, and everyone, that he is not to be underestimated. He wants to prove himself to everyone that he can be a true Corleone. He sees this as Santino or his father Vito. He wants to live up to the respectable role of a Corleone and he feels that th only way to do that is to follow the rage inside of him.

-After he kills Sollozzo and McClusky, on his excile in Sicily, Michael marries Apolonia. Apolonia is what Michael believes is exactly what he needs. He loves Kay, but to e a true Corleone, he feels he must marrie a Sicilian, like Sonny did, Sandra, and Vito, Carmella. In Sicily, his Mafioso values are only heightened and he is only more confident in teh fact that he can now be what his father thought he never could be. All the while, Vito is fumed that Sonny let Michael do such a thing.

-While he is back in Sicily, and while he is talking with his father in the garden, Vito says to him that he wanted Michael to become a pezzanovante and such. Michael, seems to be only more angry inside. Michael wants nothing more then to please his father. He learns here that Sonny was not what Vito wanted. Vito wanted his kids to be much more repectable. Michael has goten himself in a perdicament now. Vito thinks that his son has stumbled into this life but Michael has really been pushing pretty hard to get somewhere he father never wanted him to get.

-He marries Kay. He loves Kay, and so does the entire family. Its not Sicilian like, but it is what his father would do.

-Michael, in pleasing his father, kills the heads of the five Families and move to Las Vegas to become legitimate. He kills Carlo because he killed Sonny, simple as that. Carlo had planned Michael's role model's death. Michael had people killed before, Carlo, in his eyes, deserved it.

-The plan was, for Michael, to become completely legitimate in Las Vegas. But then men like Senator Geary try to "squeeze him" and men like Roth try to kill him. Michael looks back to what his father would have done, and what he learned in Sicily. But all of it leads to death. He has no other chouce but to whipe out all of his enemies. Or else, where does that lead him? It leaves him weak, and vulnerable to be stepped all over, him and his family.

-He is even forced to kill Fredo. Now, this is not something that his father would do. But it seems that the longer Michael lives after his fathers death and the more he is immersed in the Mafia, contrasting to what he thought was the Mafia while he looked in from the outside, the more Michael seems to become more like the men that surround him. Men like Al Neri, Rocco Lampone, these men, at least in Michael's opinion, would kill their own brother in this situation. he is a very impresionable person and it seems that all he wants is to gain acceptance. Still, his father's last requests included leading the family into legitimacy. When he sees Kays hate in her eyes, along with how Kay killed their baby, he divources her. He is a sad man. Looking back on his life, he realizes that everything he has done has been a watse. He still doesn't understand what has gone wrong.

-Now within the next couple of decades, who knows what goes on, but Michael is now old and guilty beyond belief. He has been trying to become legitimate for a while and when he sees the Imobiliare deal, he jumps at the hance. This may finally his time. He may fially make his father's ishes come true. However, agisn people like Zasa and Lucchese force him to turn to sin.

-His most uplifting time is when he gives confession. He knows he is going to Hell, but he is doing eveything he can to save his family first.

-He tries to make up with Kay and make piece with his children. He wants life to be good. He is very depressed and is sick of living in such sin. Eventually he is forced to just give the family to Vincent. He has given up, and if this is how he is to save his family, then it is what he must do. It is not what his father would have done, but he realizes that he isn't his father.

-However, when all seems good, everything is taken away with Mary's death. he spends the rest of his life miserably, possible trying to fix things, but ultimately failing in the end.

Sorry, that its so long, but I hope it gives some new insite into Michael Corleone. Its not fullproof, but no theory really is, at leaset not in my opinion.

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
Re: MC, IMO #27743
04/13/05 10:02 PM
04/13/05 10:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, we all have a story that tells how we got to where we are. To save his family, if indeed that was his intention, he needed to walk away from the Mafia. In doing so, he might have lost his life. But, that is what you might have to do for your children - give up your life.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: MC, IMO #27744
04/14/05 09:24 AM
04/14/05 09:24 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The only insight this provides is the poster has no concept of diction, grammar, or even the timeline of the GF movies.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: MC, IMO #27745
04/14/05 09:55 AM
04/14/05 09:55 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by dontomasso:
The only insight this provides is the poster has no concept of diction, grammar, or even the timeline of the GF movies.
Come on, DT, you're too harsh on our, very interesting in general, new member. Everyone can make mistakes, I don't think he did it on purpose to annoy you. wink
Moscarelli, I remember reading somewhere that you begin to dislike newbies? Shhh... You know what I'll tell ya? You just don't know how to cook them. grin wink
Next time to pacify DT just type it in Word before posting. wink
My regards.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: MC, IMO #27746
04/14/05 02:00 PM
04/14/05 02:00 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline OP
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline OP
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally posted by JustMe:
Moscarelli, I remember reading somewhere that you begin to dislike newbies? Shhh... You know what I'll tell ya? You just don't know how to cook them. grin wink
lol Do you have any special recipes? No, JustMe, you caught me on a bad day. I don't have a problem with newbies. I am a newbie. But, I can completely understand why many of you hate us, thats all.

I am sorry if my grammer and diction isn't perfect, I really do. In fact, from now on, I will recheck every post I make 3 or 4 times over, just so that you are happy with it. In fact, how about I send you a copy of everything I write and wait for your approval, so that I know it is perfect for posting on this forum, even the three pagers, because, unlike you, I have no life.

As far as the timeline goes, its not like I was writing a summary. All I wanted to get across was my opinion of Michael Corleone. If your mad because I made a chronoligical error, then woops, I must have offended the great dontomasso, but if you disagree with my theory of Michael, then state your case and back it up. Otherwise, why are you complaining?

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
Re: MC, IMO #27747
04/14/05 02:53 PM
04/14/05 02:53 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally posted by Moscarelli:.

[/qb]
I am sorry if my grammer and diction isn't perfect, I really do. In fact, from now on, I will recheck every post I make 3 or 4 times over, just so that you are happy with it. In fact, how about I send you a copy of everything I write and wait for your approval, so that I know it is perfect for posting on this forum, even the three pagers, because, unlike you, I have no life.

As far as the timeline goes, its not like I was writing a summary. All I wanted to get across was my opinion of Michael Corleone. If your mad because I made a chronoligical error, then woops, I must have offended the great dontomasso, but if you disagree with my theory of Michael, then state your case and back it up. Otherwise, why are you complaining? [/QB][/QUOTE]

That would be "grammar" not "grammer." And the second sentence should read "I really AM." Not I really do. You might also check your original post. You say you want to gain perspective on Michael by putting his life in chronological order. "Chronological order" and "timeline" basically mean the same thing.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: MC, IMO #27748
04/14/05 04:00 PM
04/14/05 04:00 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I see we have a new sandbox crew ohwell

Re: MC, IMO #27749
04/14/05 04:13 PM
04/14/05 04:13 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline OP
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline OP
M
Capo
Providence, RI

[b]Originally posted by Moscarelli:

As far as the timeline goes, its not like I was writing a summary. All I wanted to get across was my opinion of Michael Corleone. If your mad because I made a chronoligical error, then woops, I must have offended the great dontomasso, but if you disagree with my theory of Michael, then state your case and back it up. Otherwise, why are you complaining?
That would be "grammar" not "grammer." And the second sentence should read "I really AM." Not I really do. You might also check your original post. You say you want to gain perspective on Michael by putting his life in chronological order. "Chronological order" and "timeline" basically mean the same thing. [/b]
If you read my post you should have been able to realize that this thread isn't for correcting grammar, but to analyze the character of Michael Corleone. I thank you for spotting my errors but I think that it would save a lot of space and time if we stopped bickering over useless matters. If you have anything to say relating to the point I was trying to make in my original post, then please reply. Otherwise, I see no purpose in stating anything else. Of course, there are no rules against this, but it is common courtesy to not act like a jackass.

Re: MC, IMO #27750
04/14/05 04:24 PM
04/14/05 04:24 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
OK guys, if you feel the need to extend this please take it off the boards.

Re: MC, IMO #27751
04/14/05 05:36 PM
04/14/05 05:36 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Wow! I had no idea that being grammatically correct was a necessary criteria on this board. If that's the case, then 99% of us should be gone! lol

Seeing as neither SC or Geoff have made any rules saying that posts have to be spell checked and grammar checked before posting, I see no reason for you to b*tch about it, dontomasso. Thank you SC, for cooling down this situation so quickly. I would have hated for them to start breaking out words like "sanctomonious" or something. rolleyes

P.S.
If I spelled "sanctomonious" wrong, dontomasso, just sue me.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: MC, IMO #27752
04/14/05 07:33 PM
04/14/05 07:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Any rage that Michael feels is because he is an incomplete version of Vito. He had Vito's intelligence (even the novel agrees for the most part), but he lacked Vito's motivation. Vito saw his father, mother, and brother slaughtered and decided that he would never leave himself so defenseless. Vito really did all he did to protect his family.

On the other hand, Michael was just imitating his father. Just mimicing his father. He was just someone like so many of us who have been wronged (or think we have been)and strike back or wish we could. Michael had a crime army at his disposal with which to strike back. So, it was easy to do. But there was no real substance there. In a perverse way, Vito had virtue; Michael had none. Too late, he figured out that all along he just should have walked away.

Re: MC, IMO #27753
04/14/05 07:48 PM
04/14/05 07:48 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline OP
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline OP
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally posted by olivant:
Any rage that Michael feels is because he is an incomplete version of Vito. He had Vito's intelligence (even the novel agrees for the most part), but he lacked Vito's motivation. Vito saw his father, mother, and brother slaughtered and decided that he would never leave himself so defenseless. Vito really did all he did to protect his family.

On the other hand, Michael was just imitating his father. Just mimicing his father. He was just someone like so many of us who have been wronged (or think we have been)and strike back or wish we could. Michael had a crime army at his disposal with which to strike back. So, it was easy to do. But there was no real substance there. In a perverse way, Vito had virtue; Michael had none. Too late, he figured out that all along he just should have walked away.
Well put, Olivant.

Re: MC, IMO #27754
04/15/05 02:25 AM
04/15/05 02:25 AM
Michigan
Lollie Offline
Made Member
Lollie  Offline
Made Member
Michigan
Moscarelli:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Sonny couldn't have witnessed Vito kill Fanucci because Sonny was just a small child at the time, plus, Vito was alone in Fanucci's apartment building when Vito killed him. Did you mean another person that Sonny may have witnessed?

~~ Lollie

"Sono una roccia; Sono un'isola...una roccia non ritiene dolore; un'isola non grida mai."
Re: MC, IMO #27755
04/15/05 07:47 AM
04/15/05 07:47 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Lollie:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but Sonny couldn't have witnessed Vito kill Fanucci because Sonny was just a small child at the time, plus, Vito was alone in Fanucci's apartment building when Vito killed him.
In the novel Sonny follows Vito and witnesses the killing.

Re: MC, IMO #27756
04/15/05 07:20 PM
04/15/05 07:20 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I find it hard to believe that a young child such as Sonny could have manuevered over the rooftops, etc. following his father.

Re: MC, IMO #27757
04/15/05 09:43 PM
04/15/05 09:43 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline OP
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline OP
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Well, in the book I don't think it said anything about Vito jumping over any roofs, but even so, Sonny was not so little. I could actually check it out and find out his exact age, but I don't want to smile .

Re: MC, IMO #27758
04/15/05 10:25 PM
04/15/05 10:25 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by olivant:
I find it hard to believe that a young child such as Sonny could have manuevered over the rooftops, etc. following his father.
In the novel, Sonny was much older than in the movie, therefore being able to follow his father and manuever over the rooftops.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: MC, IMO #27759
04/15/05 10:36 PM
04/15/05 10:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I see that several of you still are criticisizing each other and continue to poke fun at others here. SC is being really patient with you guys, but I have just about run out of patience here! I have asked nicely on several different occasions over the last week or so to tone it down, take it off the boards and cut out the ridiculing of others here. I have had to delete several controversial posts, and have had to close some topics. I have respectfully PMed several of you, talking in private, asking it to stop. But yet the same people ( and you know who you are ) continue to try and create controversy in this thread! I have warned you numerous times, SC has warned you several times, now I am telling all of you, if I see one more post that ridicules or demeans another member of these boards, the guilty party will be sent on a long vacation from here! This is not a threat, but it is a promise! I want to log onto this site and enjoy myself, not log on to have to play babysitter! SO I AM TELLING YOU ALL FOR THE LAST TIME! CUT IT OUT NOW!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: MC, IMO #27760
04/16/05 11:41 AM
04/16/05 11:41 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Youre gonna get no trouble from me. Cicci a port

Re: MC, IMO #27761
04/16/05 12:52 PM
04/16/05 12:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Don cardi:

I would venture to guess that a common characteristic among those of us who participate in this Board is an effusiveness, a loquaciousness if you will, about the Trilogy. That some Board participants may from time to time engage in some rancor, impoliteness, etc. can be perceived as a quality of their incisive mind. Of course, such incisive minds should not use foul language; such incisive minds should not be too caustic or acerbic. The key word is "too". Allowing some of it contributes to the richness of the Board's exchanges.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull