GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 349 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,202
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,978
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: olivant] #415640
07/15/07 01:03 PM
07/15/07 01:03 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Thats it.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: whisper] #415893
07/15/07 11:28 PM
07/15/07 11:28 PM
D
DarthPipes Offline
Associate
DarthPipes  Offline
D
Associate
I know their marriage was bad from the start. But it seemed like it was going on for some time at that point.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: DarthPipes] #415895
07/15/07 11:57 PM
07/15/07 11:57 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: DarthPipes
I know their marriage was bad from the start. But it seemed like it was going on for some time at that point.

It was their wedding night.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: DarthPipes] #416071
07/16/07 08:41 AM
07/16/07 08:41 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Darth Pipes

The whole Carlo situation has always confused me. I am sure he knew the family he was marrying in to. Did he marry Connie just to be part of the family? Assuming he did, why would he allow himself to be a target of the family by abusing Connie? It seems to me that since Connie grew up in the family, she was knowledgeable in the way a family members wife should act. In other words Carlo would have have lots of freedom, without Connie constantly questioning him, so why would he take the chance of flaunting his "activities", and why would he beat her? At least Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in "Goodfellas" learned by Carlo mistakes.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: johnny ola] #416075
07/16/07 09:07 AM
07/16/07 09:07 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
He abused Connie because he was bitter that the Corleones did not make him an important part of the family and instead gave him just a living.

There is a deleted scene where Connie and Carlo are fighting in the Corleone house and Mama complains to Vito about it and Vito tells her not to interfere. Then later on, after Vito is shot, the family is sitting around for dinner and Carlo tells Connie to shut up at the table and Santino almost jumps over the table telling Carlo "Hey, don't you ever tell her to shut up again" (Another classic Sonny scene ) and Mama Corloene cuts in and says "Santino, don't interfere."

The "don't interfere" by Vito and then the "don't interfere" by Mama were, in Carlo's eyes, a license to treat Connie however way he wanted to. So he abused her because deep down he knew that what the Corloene's had given him in within the family business was menial.

I think that in the novel there is even a part where Puzo tells us that Carlo would get abused verbally by some of his friends because he didn't have a "real position" in the Corleone family, so he went home and took it out on Connie. (Olivant or TB should be able to confirm or deny this for me).

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: Don Cardi] #416078
07/16/07 09:20 AM
07/16/07 09:20 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Sounds very similar to my avatar, Paul Castellano, and the situation with his daughter. She was married to a guy that was in the Gambino organization that was abusive to his daughter. Castellano didn't do anything about it, but as soon as they divorced the ex son in law disappeared and was never heard from again.

You have to wonder - how stupid do you have to be to beat up the daughter of the head of a crime family?

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: Don Marco] #416114
07/16/07 10:12 AM
07/16/07 10:12 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Really really really stupid!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: Don Cardi] #416118
07/16/07 10:21 AM
07/16/07 10:21 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Really, really, really, really stupid, DC!!

As soon as Big Paul's daughter miscarried her baby that was "all she wrote" for hubby.

Stupid bastard.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: pizzaboy] #416137
07/16/07 11:08 AM
07/16/07 11:08 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I didn't realize it was after she miscarried - I thought they divorced. It was still incredibly stupid!!

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: Don Cardi] #416166
07/16/07 01:27 PM
07/16/07 01:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As the novel says, Carlo was punk sore at the world because he felt the Corleones had shunted him aside with a small bookmaking operation and had not given him one of hte houses in the mall.

But I am surprised that Vito allowed his wife to get beat up. I don't really understand that on Puzo's part unless he was trying to set up Carlo's betrayal. But keep in mind that when Connie asked her dad if he ever hit momma, he replied "She never gave me reason to." That is not very reassuring, is it?

Last edited by olivant; 07/16/07 01:28 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: olivant] #416172
07/16/07 01:52 PM
07/16/07 01:52 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Barbaric as it sounds to most of us in this day and age, it was fairly typical in most cultures for a husband to have the right to "discipline" (as the English common law put it) his wife under certain circumstances. If mama had gien Vito a reason to hit her, he would have.

To read a chilling account of this practice in Afghanistan today (and to read a really great novel), pick uo A Thousand Splendid Suns.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: dontomasso] #416176
07/16/07 02:05 PM
07/16/07 02:05 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Barbaric as it sounds to most of us in this day and age, it was fairly typical in most cultures for a husband to have the right to "discipline" (as the English common law put it) his wife under certain circumstances. If mama had gien Vito a reason to hit her, he would have.

Exactly right DT. It was almost "accepted" by the old school people in those days. Horrible and disgusting as it sounds, it was not uncommon.

\:\/

Don Cardi cool

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: Don Cardi] #416190
07/16/07 02:28 PM
07/16/07 02:28 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Did we ever see Carlo in a wife beater T-shirt?

*Usually worn by men, although sometimes worn by women. They are generally made for underwear, generally have large sleeve holes and a large neck, down to near the breasts, in fact. also known as a-shirts

The term originates from frequent depictions of aggressive middle aged men, usually living in low conditions (such as living in a trailer) and having low income, who would be depicted as beating their wife or children and sitting in front of a TV, watching a football game and drinking beer in a stained white sleeveless shirt.

In the Chicagoland area, this type of shirt is often known as a Dago T. This is due to its popularity with men of Italian descent. In fact, this is the undershirt usually seen being worn by Tony In the Sopranos.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: johnny ola] #416226
07/16/07 03:30 PM
07/16/07 03:30 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
I think the reason why Vito did not interfere to stop Carlo's beating of Connie- and I think this was mentioned in the novel- was that Connie was married to him. She chose him. Had they not been married, Vito most definately would have interfered. Disgusting, but kind of like a "she's not my problem / property" type attitude.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: Sopranorleone] #416263
07/16/07 05:15 PM
07/16/07 05:15 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Sopranorleone
I think the reason why Vito did not interfere to stop Carlo's beating of Connie- and I think this was mentioned in the novel- was that Connie was married to him. She chose him. Had they not been married, Vito most definately would have interfered. Disgusting, but kind of like a "she's not my problem / property" type attitude.

Actually, Vito was showing his wisdom concerning human behavior. Ask any policeman, and they will tell you how difficult it is to answer domestic violence calls. They can appear on the scene and the couple with be at each others throats with guns and knives, but as soon as an cop touches one of them, they get really defensive. Lets face it most men have their hands full keeping harmony in their own marriages without having to get involved in their childrens.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: johnny ola] #416319
07/16/07 06:18 PM
07/16/07 06:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
A stretch:
I'm guessing that Vito, a generally shrewd judge of character, knew Carlo was worthless--note that even on Carlo's wedding day, he warned Tom never to discuss the family business with Carlo. If Vito knew that, he probably discouraged Connie from marrying him. When she married him anyway, Vito might have taken the attitude, "Well, she made her own bed--let her sleep in it."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: johnny ola] #420271
07/29/07 11:57 PM
07/29/07 11:57 PM
Oklahoma
45ACP Offline
Button
45ACP  Offline
Button
Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: johnny ola
So to recapitulate Hagen's trip to LA:

-We have established that the plane shown is a Lockheed Constellation.

-The Lockheed Constellation was the only aircraft in service at that time, that was able to make the trip in least amount of time, and able to go non stop.

-In order for Tom to be able to be on Lockheed Constellation at that time, either the Don had to reach in his pocket and contact one of his friends in the military who had access to that type of aircraft, or more likely FFC took "editorial" license to get Tom to LA in the shortest period of time.

-Whoever actually performed the dastardly act on Khartorum has never been established.

-Kudos to dontomasso for being astute in his observation of the inaccuracy in the time line of Tom's trip to LA, and causing the subsequent discussion about aviation at the time.

Since . . .

History: Design of the Constellation began in 1939, when Pan American Airways and Transcontinental & Western Air (later TWA) issued a design requirement for a 40-passenger airliner for their domestic routes. Production of the resulting L-49 by Lockheed began, but was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. The US Army Air Corps commandeered at least 22 of the aircraft off the assembly line, designated them C-69s, and used them as transports.

After the war, when civil production resumed under several designations, the military ordered a new, longer-range version called the C-121. Civilian variants included the 48-81 passenger L-649, which was replaced in 1947 by the longer-range L-749, and then by the 109-passenger L-1049 Super Constellation in 1949. The last of the "Connies" was the L-1649A Starliner, with a completely new wing and greater fuel capacity and range. Production of all Constellations ended in the late 1950s, but the type lived on for decades as an airliner and freighter in many smaller countries.

Re: HAGEN'S FLIGHTS TO L.A. AND BACK [Re: 45ACP] #420467
07/30/07 02:46 PM
07/30/07 02:46 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
If I'm not mistaken, the Constellation in the photo above is housed at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson, AZ. I saw it there last January during a visit, and boarded it. That aircraft supposedly was used by JFK and LBJ. Perhaps it was a backup to Air Force One, a Boeing 707 that was the site of LBJ's famous swearing-in photo on 11/22/63. Boy, was that Constellation ever cramped for space. Probably the only reason the Presidents used it was that it couldn't accommodate any reporters.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull