GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, mustachepete, Ciment), 338 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,202
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,980
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: ScarFather] #414180
07/12/07 01:00 PM
07/12/07 01:00 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather

If you watch Michael watching Sonny(and Tom) in action... to me he is observing a man... acting as Don as a "rudderless ship"(someone else's descriptor of Sonny's donship on this board)

I think Michael became VERY "concerned" when he tells Sonny "he's my father too, I want to stay" at the Tom and Sonny meeting.

Michael had just gotten in from hearing his father had been shot, so he was concerned over his father and over what his brother was planning to do. True, he disapproved of Santino's "hit list," saying that's not the way Pop would play it, etc. But, in times like that, times of great stress, its hard to know the right answer. Santino was enraged that his father would be hit; Michael's reaction was slow and steady wins the race. Michael thought Santino was wrong, but was he really? We all know that Michael himself was not a good Don (lacking humility and heart), so what makes Michael a judge over Santino?

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Buttmunker] #414195
07/12/07 01:36 PM
07/12/07 01:36 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Buttmunker

If you watch Michael watching Sonny(and Tom) in action... to me he is observing a man... acting as Don as a "rudderless ship"(someone else's descriptor of Sonny's donship on this board)

I think Michael became VERY "concerned" when he tells Sonny "he's my father too, I want to stay" at the Tom and Sonny meeting.

Michael had just gotten in from hearing his father had been shot, so he was concerned over his father and over what his brother was planning to do. True, he disapproved of Santino's "hit list," saying that's not the way Pop would play it, etc. But, in times like that, times of great stress, its hard to know the right answer. Santino was enraged that his father would be hit; Michael's reaction was slow and steady wins the race. Michael thought Santino was wrong, but was he really? We all know that Michael himself was not a good Don (lacking humility and heart), so what makes Michael a judge over Santino?

"We all know".... LOL

Debatable.
He was a Great Don.

We have the luxury of hindsite and ALL knowledge of ALL situations. He didnt. There is not one move that I would question or do differently.

He wasnt the greatest husband, father. Buts thats not a Don issue.

As far as "humility and hear"... well... different times called for different measures... he wasnt like his father in many ways because it was dangerous to be like his father... obviously his father's way of doing things was over.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Buttmunker] #414241
07/12/07 02:24 PM
07/12/07 02:24 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA

True, in the deleted scene he counsels Sonny to wait and consult with Vito. But after the hospital he changes his tune fast. Michael realizes that Santino was not wrong at all. He sides with Sonny over Tom by supporting (and committing) Sollozzo's murder.

Michael and Sonny are more alike than most realize. Michael's thinking is every bit as aggressive as Sonny's, but Michael adds a cerebral, strategic dimension that Sonny lacks.

I don't consider Michael "slow and steady" at all. He moves boldly and forcefully once he has identified a goal or an enemy.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: The Last Woltz] #414243
07/12/07 02:27 PM
07/12/07 02:27 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
 Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz

I don't consider Michael "slow and steady" at all. He moves boldly and forcefully once he has identified a goal or an enemy.

...But I'm going to wait, til after the Baptism...
Michael plans, and allows his enemies to get comfortable before striking. He allowed Carlo to live in the mall, all the while knowing he was going to kill him.

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Buttmunker] #414254
07/12/07 03:03 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
I think youse are both right...

"slow and steady" THEN "once he has identified his goal or enemy" THEN "BOLD and FORCEFULLY"

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Buttmunker] #414255
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

We all know that Michael himself was not a good Don (lacking humility and heart), so what makes Michael a judge over Santino?

At that point Michael was acting reasonably, thinking things out, not acting or making decisions out of haste. It is at that point that we see that Michael is the son most like his father.

It was not that Michael was a bad Don in the sense that he could not run the family and bring them to power. He was an excellent Don in doing what he did for The Family. He became a bad Don in the sense that in re-building the Corelone reputation and bringing The Family to greater things, he sacrificed his family for the sake of The Family. He lost sight of what was really important in life. His ego and lust for control and power blinded him to what he was doing to his blood family. That's what made him a bad Don compared to his father. Not what he did for The Family, but what he did to his family.

Sonny on the other hand was a good wartime, street savy tactioner. A wartime strategist. Sonny could run a war with the best of them. Sollozo and Tattaglia knew this and that is one of the reasons that they kidnapped Tom and told him that he'd BETTER convince Sonny to make peace and make the deal. But they also knew that if they played their cards right, and Tom was not able to convince Sonny to make the peace, that eventually Sonny's temper would make him slip up and give them an opportunity to make their move against him. And that's exactly what happened.

Sonny was a bad Don in the sense that he could not reason and would let his temper cloud his judgement. Sonny was not a negotiator. Michael, much like his father, was. And there is a time in every war for street fighting and then negotiation. Michael had the ability to differentiate when to war, and when to negotiate. Sonny on the other hand did not have that ability to differentiate when to war and when to negotiate.

Michael was a much better Don because he did not act in haste, made calculated and well thought out decisions, and used reason instead of letting his temper cloud his judgement.

Sonny on the other hand did not have that ability.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: The Last Woltz] #414257
07/12/07 03:08 PM
07/12/07 03:08 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz

True, in the deleted scene he counsels Sonny to wait and consult with Vito. But after the hospital he changes his tune fast. Michael realizes that Santino was not wrong at all. He sides with Sonny over Tom by supporting (and committing) Sollozzo's murder.

Michael and Sonny are more alike than most realize. Michael's thinking is every bit as aggressive as Sonny's, but Michael adds a cerebral, strategic dimension that Sonny lacks.

Never said Sonny was wrong.
Never said Sonny and Michael werent alike in their thinking.

I am saying that Sonny didnt have the Don-like skills to pull it off. Women and children can be careless... Don's cant. ;\)

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: ScarFather] #414260
07/12/07 03:12 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

I am saying that Sonny didnt have the Don-like skills to pull it off. Women and children can be careless... Don's cant. ;\)

Read my post above.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Don Cardi] #414261
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

We all know that Michael himself was not a good Don (lacking humility and heart), so what makes Michael a judge over Santino?

At that point Michael was acting reasonably, thinking things out, not acting or making decisions out of haste. It is at that point that we see that Michael is the son most like his father.

It was not that Michael was a bad Don in the sense that he could not run the family and bring them to power. He was an excellent Don in doing what he did for The Family. He became a bad Don in the sense that in re-building the Corelone reputation and bringing The Family to greater things, he sacrificed his family for the sake of The Family. He lost sight of what was really important in life. His ego and lust for control and power blinded him to what he was doing to his blood family. That's what made him a bad Don compared to his father. Not what he did for The Family, but what he did to his family.

Sonny on the other hand was a good wartime, street savy tactioner. A wartime strategist. Sonny could run a war with the best of them. Sollozo and Tattaglia knew this and that is one of the reasons that they kidnapped Tom and told him that he'd BETTER convince Sonny to make peace and make the deal. But they also knew that if they played their cards right, and Tom was not able to convince Sonny to make the peace, that eventually Sonny's temper would make him slip up and give them an opportunity to make their move against him. And that's exactly what happened.

Sonny was a bad Don in the sense that he could not reason and would let his temper cloud his judgement. Sonny was not a negotiator. Michael, much like his father, was. And there is a time in every war for street fighting and then negotiation. Michael had the ability to differentiate when to war, and when to negotiate. Sonny on the other hand did not have that ability to differentiate when to war and when to negotiate.

Michael was a much better Don because he did not act in haste, made calculated and well thought out decisions, and used reason instead of letting his temper cloud his judgement.

Sonny on the other hand did not have that ability.

Great post.

Question: I think Michael ever had to "think or plan" anything for a war... he never went to war... he wiped everyone out before it got to war, right? or is there time he was at war?

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Don Cardi] #414262
07/12/07 03:14 PM
07/12/07 03:14 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo

Read my post above.

LOL... probably was posting when you sent this

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: ScarFather] #414268
07/12/07 03:24 PM
07/12/07 03:24 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Question: I think Michael ever had to "think or plan" anything for a war... he never went to war... he wiped everyone out before it got to war, right? or is there time he was at war?

Well Michael was in a war alongside of Sonny. He had to go to the matresses himself by fleeing the country and hiding out in Sicily.

But if you are asking if he was ever in a war while he was the Don, then the answer is no. He was never in the type of war where the family had to go to the matresses. The closest that he probably came, to that kind of a situation, was the hit attempt on him in Tahoe. In the non-traditional sense the family did go to the matresses because the Tahoe compound was locked down and Michael fled the compound to seek out Roth and Pentangeli. But in the traditional sense, he really never had to go to the matresses while he was The Don.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Buttmunker] #414269
07/12/07 03:25 PM
07/12/07 03:25 PM
L
lucylu Offline OP
Wiseguy
lucylu  Offline OP
L
Wiseguy
I always loved that scene because I have the same striped fabric on my sofa as is on the chairs!

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: lucylu] #414271
07/12/07 03:32 PM
07/12/07 03:32 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: lucylu
I always loved that scene because I have the same striped fabric on my sofa as is on the chairs!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: Don Cardi] #414291
07/12/07 03:52 PM
07/12/07 03:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

What are you confused about, DC?

It makes as much sense as some of the OTHER posts today.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Most Impactful Scene [Re: pizzaboy] #414347
07/12/07 04:57 PM
07/12/07 04:57 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

What are you confused about, DC?

It makes as much sense as some of the OTHER posts today.

Are we discussing the godfather or what?
Childish name calling and such. Unreal.

Just ask yourself. Everything you say and do on a bulletin board... would you say and do the same thing if you met the person?

Its rhetorical. You know your real answer. Go with that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull