GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BarrettM, 1 invisible), 364 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,204
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,060,002
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sonny in the Saga #413438
07/10/07 03:33 PM
07/10/07 03:33 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I AM ADVISED THIS POST IS A RIPOFF OF PB'S RECENT POST. SORRY I MUST BE GOING SOFT IN THE HEAD. I noticed this time around watching the saga that a nmumber of deleted scenes showing Sonny's behavior after Vito is shot and he has leadership of the family thrust upon him really fill out his character and IMO should have been left in the movie itself.

What emerges is a character who is trying his best to to the right thing...he is brilliant in the scene with his mother, and handles himself very well, but otherwise we see someone who is very unsure of himself and probably very scared.

For example in one scene he calls Tom and finds out he isnt home. Of course he doesnt know Sollozzo is holding him yet, but you can see the disapointment register on his face when he realizes Tom isnt there to help him right away.

We also see it in the two scenes where he is making contacts with people who have information about Vito. In two cases when they help him (which they are on the payroll to do) he goes out of his way to tell them that they are going to get bonuses. He tells one that there's an extra grand coming, and he tells another that he is going to have an extre marry Christmas. Vito or Michael would never have done that. They would have expected to get that kind of information from their people and they would never show their feelings in such a way. Also he forgets to bring Teresa Hagen into the inner circle, which Michael has to do.

Each of these things shows a more complaex character than the movie makes him out to be, and closer to the character of Sonny in the novel.

Last edited by dontomasso; 07/10/07 04:02 PM. Reason: SOFT IN THE HEAD

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sonny in the Saga [Re: dontomasso] #413439
07/10/07 03:35 PM
07/10/07 03:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I mentioned this in another thread just last week, Don T!

If those scenes were left in, I think Caan would have won the Oscar, instead of Joel Grey for that sissy movie, CABARET.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Sonny in the Saga [Re: pizzaboy] #413604
07/10/07 09:48 PM
07/10/07 09:48 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Those scenes certainly give a better-rounded picture of Sonny. In the novel (after going through that boys'-school BS about Sonny's dong ) Puzo writes that "His heart was as big as his organ" :p. But, absent the deleted scenes, the only act of "generousity" we see from Sonny was the money he threw in front of the photographer he roughed up outside Connie's wedding.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Sonny in the Saga [Re: pizzaboy] #413780
07/11/07 01:27 PM
07/11/07 01:27 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Joel Grey for that sissy movie, CABARET.

Hollywood finocchio

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Sonny in the Saga [Re: dontomasso] #414209
07/12/07 01:46 PM
07/12/07 01:46 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
As much as I am a sucker for "more and more" godfather storyline... Sonny wasnt "the Godfather"... Michael was... so I didnt need to see more at that time....

but...if they make a GF4 in a similar flashback way as GF2... then I would like to see the rise of Vito/Sonny paralleled with maybe Vincent or others in future....

I know, I know.... there is a forum for this...

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull