GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, mustachepete, 2 invisible), 261 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,615
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Was Vito Un-American? #413113
07/10/07 01:09 AM
07/10/07 01:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I just finished watching the Saga. Of course, there's the scene at the hospital where Vito refers to Mike doing miracles for strangers. Then there's the flashback scene where Sonny reprises his father's words.

In this day and age when the word patriotism is thrown around so much and adherence thereto is challeneged just as much, I wonder how Vito's attitude would have been taken if widely known.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: olivant] #413115
07/10/07 01:13 AM
07/10/07 01:13 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Patriotism is over rated.I dont think he was un American per se.I think he held on to his old school ways and values.Also Michael is his son.To Vito he's watching his son risk his life for strangers,literally.I think thats what Vito saw first before seeing it as a service to America.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: olivant] #413139
07/10/07 03:09 AM
07/10/07 03:09 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: olivant
In this day and age when the word patriotism is thrown around so much and adherence thereto is challeneged just as much, I wonder how Vito's attitude would have been taken if widely known.

I can't answer that but I think Vito wouldn't have cared what others thought. To him family was the most important thing. He wouldn't dare possibly sacrifice a member of his family for anything like country.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: SC] #413149
07/10/07 04:27 AM
07/10/07 04:27 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
To answer your question Olivant, remember what he says to Michael in the deleted Genco hospital scene? He asks him about his medals and then sarcastically remarks "what miracles you perform for strangers."

Remember what Michael says to Sonny when they are talking about the war and Sonny remarks " Your country is not your blood." Michael's reply? " That's pop talking."

I think that no matter where Vito lived his only concern was his family, his business, and how he could make both better. Country to him was secondary. An afterthought. What did his native country do for him when his family was wiped out? What did his new country do for him when his living was taken away by a local mobster? I don't believe that he cared what others thought about his lack of loyalty to the country.

I think that sums it up best about Vito and patriotism.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Don Cardi] #413152
07/10/07 06:41 AM
07/10/07 06:41 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
Do you think Vito's attitude towards country and patriotism is deliberately set by Mario, perhaps for this attitude is something common among true Mafias?

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: wtwt5237] #413164
07/10/07 07:53 AM
07/10/07 07:53 AM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Patriotism is subjective, everybody has a different view on it, so did Vito as said above by other posters. However the people in the mafia cared about making money that was there key. If Patriotism made money for them or made them look good then they would do it if not then they wont give a danm.

Probabaly the old school gangsters wouldnt as they were more closed up and more racist (proabably due to the way they were treated before).

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #413166
07/10/07 08:03 AM
07/10/07 08:03 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don
If Patriotism made money for them or made them look good then they would do it if not then they wont give a danm.

Exactly right Zaf.

Proof of that in mob history is the story of how the mob "helped" the government in protecting the waterfront during WWII and the way that they helped American and allied troops land and make their way through Sicily because they knew the terrain better than anyone else. I don't think that the mob volunteered to help our government during WWII because they bled red, white and blue. The color that they were really loyal to was the color green, as in dollars.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Don Cardi] #413176
07/10/07 09:13 AM
07/10/07 09:13 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
Vito loved America, the land of opportunity. He just didn't believe in its system, whether it be law, politics or military.

He would have probably said the same had Mike enlisted in the Italian army.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: whisper] #413177
07/10/07 09:14 AM
07/10/07 09:14 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
Patriotism is over rated.I dont think he was un American per se.I think he held on to his old school ways and values.Also Michael is his son.To Vito he's watching his son risk his life for strangers,literally.I think thats what Vito saw first before seeing it as a service to America.

It's not that I disagree with you Whisper, it's that I disagree with YOUR right to say that American patriotism is overrated. You're Australian, and you have no idea what it's been like over here for the last few years.

Perhaps if someone drove an airplane into the outback or into a dingo farm and an American poster said something to the effect of "eh, they're just a bunch of Aussies and their sense of themselves is overrated," then you'd understand.

As far as Vito, well, he came here from a goverment (Sicily- early 20th century) that did not care about him, so how trustful could he have been of an American government that was foreign to him? I'm not trying to make excuses for him, it's just that I think I have an understanding of his thought process.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #413213
07/10/07 10:03 AM
07/10/07 10:03 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Exactly, PB. You have to understand the Sicilian culture and their mistrust of the government. To Vito, having grown up where outlaws WERE the law, then the government was not something that you trusted with your life. He also had some first-hand experience with American judges, policemen and politicians that could be bought. He couldn't possibly begin to understand the mindset of someone that was willing to put their life on the line for their country.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #413215
07/10/07 10:05 AM
07/10/07 10:05 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Well put, SB. I have nothing to add to that.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #413225
07/10/07 10:23 AM
07/10/07 10:23 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I made PB speechless?? \:o Uh-oh, look for glaciers in this heat!!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #413229
07/10/07 10:30 AM
07/10/07 10:30 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I made PB speechless?? \:o Uh-oh, look for glaciers in this heat!!

Well thought out, intelligent posts shut me right up.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #413283
07/10/07 12:14 PM
07/10/07 12:14 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Vito speaks to this issue himself in the first scene of the movie. After Bonasera talks about how he came to America and raised his daughter in "the American way," Vito says "lets be honest here" and goes on to say that Bonasera made a good living, and he thought he had the police and the courts to protect him and so he didn't need "a man like me."

Vito traded in corruption. His strength was his political power.
Note that all the judges and congressmen who were invited to the wedding did not show up but they did send gifts. When Vito granted the baker's wish, he casually tells Tom to "give this to a jew congressman not in our district.

For Vito then, the concept of "country" was non existent. I am not sure about what is meant by the term "unamerican," but Vito was born in Italy and he never bought into the American system.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: dontomasso] #413289
07/10/07 12:32 PM
07/10/07 12:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, Vito was expressing, perfectly, the Sicilian attitude that family isn't everything--it's the only thing--and that government comes last. He wasn't being unpatriotic, just Sicilian. Plus, he had a strong dose of cynicism about government, too--most emphatically expressed in his speech to Bonasera.
Vito wasn't anti-American. He was distrustful of government, because he realized, from his own experiences, that government doesn't run itself--it's made up of men who make decisions, and are therefore weak, corrupt, unjust, venal, etc.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Turnbull] #413419
07/10/07 02:56 PM
07/10/07 02:56 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Vito has ambiguous feelings IMHO that are never fully resolved. While he is definitely cynical, he still holds out hope that his favorite sone will become a Senator or a Governor, and despite his nasty comment about the Christmas ribbons, don't forget that Clemenza tells Michael how everyone including his father was proud of him being a war hero.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Turnbull] #413426
07/10/07 03:12 PM
07/10/07 03:12 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Yes, Vito was expressing, perfectly, the Sicilian attitude that family isn't everything--it's the only thing--and that government comes last. He wasn't being unpatriotic, just Sicilian. Plus, he had a strong dose of cynicism about government, too--most emphatically expressed in his speech to Bonasera.
Vito wasn't anti-American. He was distrustful of government, because he realized, from his own experiences, that government doesn't run itself--it's made up of men who make decisions, and are therefore weak, corrupt, unjust, venal, etc.

But isn't it ironic that he took advantage of the American "system" and way of life to "make a living". Sure in the beginning he was forced to come here, to hide from the local don back home, but eventually he could have left, and found happiness elsewhere, but Vito found "paradise" here and stayed around and joined in the prosperity.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #413621
07/11/07 12:20 AM
07/11/07 12:20 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

It's not that I disagree with you Whisper, it's that I disagree with YOUR right to say that American patriotism is overrated. You're Australian, and you have no idea what it's been like over here for the last few years.

Perhaps if someone drove an airplane into the outback or into a dingo farm and an American poster said something to the effect of "eh, they're just a bunch of Aussies and their sense of themselves is overrated," then you'd understand.

[/quote

Hey PB.When i say patriotism is over rated,im not talking about"american Patriotism".Im talking about patriotism full stop.Your obviously un aware that we have troops in Iraq also.As for the dingos and the out back,i live in Melbourne.Its the city.The outback is up in Northern Australia.Ive never been there and never will go there.

Anyway i meant no offence.
Maybe if terrorists started flying planes into skyscrapers in my city i might feel different though.

Attached Files 121-melbourne.jpg
Last edited by whisper the don from down under; 07/11/07 02:18 AM.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: whisper] #413705
07/11/07 09:40 AM
07/11/07 09:40 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
No dingos in Melbourne, Whisper?

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #414529
07/13/07 05:38 AM
07/13/07 05:38 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Nah...I thought i would post a pic of part of my city to show bb members that im not a outback aussie.

Put it this way we dont fear dingos stealing babies around here.

For the record,we do ride kangaroo's to work.
Its heaps of fun.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: whisper] #414686
07/13/07 02:09 PM
07/13/07 02:09 PM
Boat House
Carson_Corleone Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Carson_Corleone  Offline
The Best and Brightest Son
Made Member
Boat House
Of course Vito was un-american, he was a Sicilian : )

-In my HOME!!! In my BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS!! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.

-My father taught me many things here -- he taught me in this room. He taught me -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: whisper] #414689
07/13/07 02:13 PM
07/13/07 02:13 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
Nah...I thought i would post a pic of part of my city to show bb members that im not a outback aussie.

Put it this way we dont fear dingos stealing babies around here.

For the record,we do ride kangaroo's to work.
Its heaps of fun.

Classic Seinfeld!!

Elaine to snobby woman: "Maybe the dingo ate your baby."

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Carson_Corleone] #414690
07/13/07 02:14 PM
07/13/07 02:14 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

What was Santino? He had odd feelings about Pearl Harbor..."Imagine the nerve of those slanty eyed Japs doing this on Pop's birthday." So according to Santino, the only thing wrong with the attack is that is was on Vito's birthday????
No, because he also thinks that the people who enlisted are "a bunch of saps."

And unlike Vito, Santino was born in the USA

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: dontomasso] #414694
07/13/07 02:17 PM
07/13/07 02:17 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
The novel really gives us the best insight to this subject. When Vito hears through one of his capos that a soldier was joining the armed forces because "this country has been good to me," Vito snaps, in a rare show of anger, "I have been good to him," but he had to let him slide because he had let his own son, Michael, slide.

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #415140
07/14/07 09:52 AM
07/14/07 09:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
In one of the earlier scripts, an exchange between Vito and Michael gives a much better insight as to why Vito felt the way that he did about country and government. In it Vito tells Michael :

"Believe in family. Can you believe in your country? Those pezzanovante of the state who decide what we shall do with our lives? Who declare wars they wish us to fight in to protect what they own? Do you put your fate in the hands of men whose only talent is that they tricked a bloc of people to vote for them? Michael, in five years the Corleone family can be completely legitimate. Very difficult things have to happen to make that possible. I can't do that anymore, but you can, if you choose to.
Believe in family, believe in a code of honor, older and higher, believe in roots that go back thousands of years into your race. Make a family, Michael, and protect it. These are our affairs, sono cosa nostras, governments only protect men who have their own individual power. Be one of those men...you have the choice."

It really gives you a much better idea as to how Vito felt about government and family.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Don Cardi] #415143
07/14/07 09:58 AM
07/14/07 09:58 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, I've seen that before, DC.

It's a shame they had to give in to the Italian-American Civil Rights League (I wonder why? ), because that scene was deleted from the script due to the Cosa Nostra reference.

Also, the "five years" prediction by Vito ultimately ended up in the New Hampshire scene between Michael and Kay (as you well know).

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #415150
07/14/07 10:19 AM
07/14/07 10:19 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
That really was a joke that they had to succumb to the preasures of a Mafia run civil rights league!

And from that dialogue, you just know, that Sonny had heard Vito talk like this before...hence the end of GFII scene..."They're saps."

Don Cardi cool

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Don Cardi] #415152
07/14/07 10:38 AM
07/14/07 10:38 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
That really was a joke that they had to succumb to the preasures of a Mafia run civil rights league!

Yeah, I think the educated people call that "irony."

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: pizzaboy] #415154
07/14/07 10:44 AM
07/14/07 10:44 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
The irony of it all is that The Italain American Civil Rights League was supposed to have been formed to honor Italian Americans, defend their rights as citizens, and put a stop to the theory that all Italians were in the Mafia.

Then some guy who was a memeber of that organization, would go around to the neighborhood stores and businesses and tell them that they would have to display the league's logo in their windows and make a donation to the league..........or else!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Was Vito Un-American? [Re: Don Cardi] #415288
07/14/07 11:15 PM
07/14/07 11:15 PM
D
DarthPipes Offline
Associate
DarthPipes  Offline
D
Associate
Patriotism meant nothing to Vito. Sonny didn't like some other country dropping bombs in his country but after that, he could have cared less. He was two-faced on the subject.

I remember reading in Sammy Gravano's book that John Gotti hated the government so much that he was rooting for Iraq to win the Gulf War in 91.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull