GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 401 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,414
Posts1,060,528
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout #407880
06/28/07 05:21 PM
06/28/07 05:21 PM
Chicago, IL
Donatello Noboddi Offline OP
Made Member
Donatello Noboddi  Offline OP
Made Member
Chicago, IL
Here's some video and graphics of secret tunnels under the Green Mill on the North side of Chicago. The Mill was one of Capone's favorite hangouts. Speculation has it that at one point he owned the club.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainm...omepagenews-utl

I came, I saw, I had no idea what was going on, I left.
Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: Donatello Noboddi] #407881
06/28/07 05:24 PM
06/28/07 05:24 PM
Chicago, IL
Made Member
Made Member
Chicago, IL
Unearthing the Capone connection

By Robert K. Elder
Tribune staff reporter
Published June 28, 2007

Despite the Green Mill's prominent place in Chicago film and jazz history, its link to gangster king Al Capone still gets the most attention.

But that may be exaggerated, says historian Richard Lindberg, author of "Return to the Scene of the Crime: A Guide to Infamous Places in Chicago."

"People are always calling me with Capone stories, someplace where Capone was known to be," Lindberg says. "Ninety-nine percent of it is urban legend, and I think it's especially true with the Green Mill."

The Green Mill started life in 1907 as Pop Morse's Roadhouse, a watering hole in developing Uptown. Three years later, new investors converted the spot into the Green Mill Gardens, a blocklong dance hall and beer garden, complete with a giant windmill perched atop the festivities - a nod to Paris' own Moulin Rouge (or "Red Windmill").

Capone's shadow fell on the Mill during the late 1920s, when "Machine Gun" Jack McGurn - Capone henchman and speculated triggerman of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre - acquired part ownership.

Capone was said to frequent the club and even had a favorite booth that, owner Dave Jemilo says, still sits in the center of the room, facing away from the stage, in full view of the front and side doors, and a quick route to the trap door.

Famously, when singing comedian Joe E. Lewis attempted to get out of his Green Mill contract in 1927, McGurn's men visited Lewis in his hotel room where, Lindberg says, "he was sliced within an inch of his life." Fortunately, Lewis survived a slit throat, recovered and enjoyed a long career as a comedian, though he never fully recovered his crooner voice. His story was later adapted into the 1957 film "The Joker Is Wild," starring Frank Sinatra.

Beyond this, says Lindberg, Capone's ties to the Green Mill are "peripheral at best." When Jemilo bought the Mill in 1986, all sorts of longtime customers told him personal stories about Capone's visits to the club.

But, he says, "we don't make a big deal about the Capone stuff. We're more about the music and the history of the joint, overall. I don't mind the gangster history, but I don't want to it to be the only thing it's known for."

As for the world underneath Broadway, Lindberg says, "The tunnels had more mundane purposes … moving coal and eating materials." But, he adds: "Where there was illicit activity, you had tunnels," such as the dug-out tunnels in Capone's places in the Levee District.

Under the Green Mill, however, "I don't believe that they were created as escape routes. … They were created long before Capone," Lindberg says. "But I think the main point here is: Capone has become such a larger-than-life character, it has created an Al Capone cottage industry, and bits of stories become legend. Separating the fact from the fiction has become the greatest challenge."

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: Donatello Noboddi] #407885
06/28/07 05:38 PM
06/28/07 05:38 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Donatello Noboddi

Famously, when singing comedian Joe E. Lewis attempted to get out of his Green Mill contract in 1927, McGurn's men visited Lewis in his hotel room where, Lindberg says, "he was sliced within an inch of his life." Fortunately, Lewis survived a slit throat, recovered and enjoyed a long career as a comedian, though he never fully recovered his crooner voice. His story was later adapted into the 1957 film "The Joker Is Wild," starring Frank Sinatra.

If you've never seen that movie its time you did see it!! Its one of my favorite bio-pics and Sinatra is wonderful in it.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember but news reporter Geraldo Rivera hosted a tv special in the 1980's which aired live. The subject was an old vault that was found and reported to be used by Al Capone. They were to open it (for the first time in over 40 years) on live tv.

Now there was loads of speculation on what they'd find when the vault was opened (some said money, some said guns, some even said bodies). Well, after two of the most boring hours imaginable they found a few empty bottles.

Anyway, DN, thanks for posting this.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #407887
06/28/07 05:50 PM
06/28/07 05:50 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
I like many of sinatras movies but ive never heard of this,do you think you would be able to get it on dvd? ive got the original oceans eleven on dvd excellent by the way.

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: chopper] #407889
06/28/07 05:57 PM
06/28/07 05:57 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: chopper
I like many of sinatras movies but ive never heard of this,do you think you would be able to get it on dvd? ive got the original oceans eleven on dvd excellent by the way.

Dunno. I can't find any online.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #407895
06/28/07 06:15 PM
06/28/07 06:15 PM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
ive just been looking now tried amazon ebay etc.. cant find anything at all which has really suprised me if you have any look could you let me know please and vice versa.

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: chopper] #407937
06/28/07 07:48 PM
06/28/07 07:48 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Will do.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: chopper] #407967
06/28/07 08:24 PM
06/28/07 08:24 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: chopper
ive got the original oceans eleven on dvd excellent by the way.

I watched thr original Ocean's Eleven on tv the other day. (Don't remember which one though) I really liked it. I was surprised to see the man who played Barzini was in that movie.

SC- I remember watching them open Capone's vault. I couldn't wait to see what was in it and, when they found nothing it was such a letdown.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: Mignon] #407968
06/28/07 08:29 PM
06/28/07 08:29 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Mignon
I was surprised to see the man who played Barzini was in that movie.

Yep, and don't forget Norman Fell (Mr. Roper from "Three's Company"). My favorite appearance in that, though, was Shirley MacLaine... she used to run with Sinatra's Rat Pack and they wrote in a small part for her.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #407976
06/28/07 08:52 PM
06/28/07 08:52 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Oh yeah I forgot about him. Thanks for reminding me. I need to buy that dvd.

BTW have you dried out yet?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #407987
06/28/07 09:33 PM
06/28/07 09:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: SC

If you've never seen that movie its time you did see it!! Its one of my favorite bio-pics and Sinatra is wonderful in it.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember but news reporter Geraldo Rivera hosted a tv special in the 1980's which aired live. The subject was an old vault that was found and reported to be used by Al Capone. They were to open it (for the first time in over 40 years) on live tv.

Now there was loads of speculation on what they'd find when the vault was opened (some said money, some said guns, some even said bodies). Well, after two of the most boring hours imaginable they found a few empty bottles.

One of Sinatra's finest roles. Excellent movie.

I remember when Heraldo did that Capone thing on TV. It basically finished him at the time. His televison career made a huge nosedive. Then the O.J. Simpson thing happened and the trial revived his career as the ratings for his show soared big time.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: Don Cardi] #407994
06/28/07 09:50 PM
06/28/07 09:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I remember when Heraldo did that Capone thing on TV. It basically finished him at the time. His televison career made a huge nosedive. Then the O.J. Simpson thing happened and the trial revived his career as the ratings for his show soared big time.

Dunno if you remember the stories about Willowbrook (on Staten Island) that Rivera broke. He was a wonderful investigative reporter back then (as a matter of fact, I saw a short segment of film of Frank Sinatra telling Rivera that he was a good reporter - and Sinatra hated reporters!).

Rivera got too big for his britches soon after all that notoriety and IMO he's a douchebag now.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #408036
06/28/07 11:28 PM
06/28/07 11:28 PM
Chicago, IL
Made Member
Made Member
Chicago, IL

I remember it well.

It was a vault that they found when they were demolishing the Hawthorne Hotel.

The hype of Y2K had nothing on that!!

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #408053
06/29/07 02:42 AM
06/29/07 02:42 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

I remember that show. It was the greatest soporific since Quaaludes.
According to John Kobler, who wrote the best (IMO) biography of Capone, Lewis had to learn to speak again after that attack. Capone gave him $50k, but never disciplined McGurn for the attack.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: SC] #408068
06/29/07 08:18 AM
06/29/07 08:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Dunno if you remember the stories about Willowbrook (on Staten Island) that Rivera broke. He was a wonderful investigative reporter back then (as a matter of fact, I saw a short segment of film of Frank Sinatra telling Rivera that he was a good reporter - and Sinatra hated reporters!).

Rivera got too big for his britches soon after all that notoriety and IMO he's a douchebag now.

Don't you remember the story that I told you about the whole Rivera/Willowbrook thing with my father?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: Donatello Noboddi] #408338
06/29/07 02:55 PM
06/29/07 02:55 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Donatello -- It was the building that housed the Lexington Hotel in the south loop which once served as Capone headquarters...don't know that it was ever known as the Hawthorne Hotel.

The article on the Green Mill tunnels was very entertaining. Most older buildings in many major cities often have these wild sub-grade vaults and storage areas. You'd be surprised at how many commercial buildings have basements that actually extend beyond the facade of the building under the public sidewalk and right up to the edge of the street.

The famous "Chicago Flood" a few years ago was the result of a tunnel below the Chicago River being pierced by a company driving wood pilings into the river bed. Those tunnels, unused and for all intents and purposes abandoned, were part of an underground narrow gauge freight railroad that serviced many of the downtown buildings. Many old city centers have some sort of underground system...and, oh, if those walls could talk!

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: YoTonyB] #409806
07/02/07 04:18 PM
07/02/07 04:18 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Actually, the Hawthorne was Capone's headquarters in Cicero, west of Chicago. The Lexington is where the vault was - it was on the South Side near Mercy Hospital. He lived in the Lexington (also had a house on the South Side that I think is still there.)

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Secret Tunnels / Capone hangout [Re: Don Marco] #409949
07/02/07 11:31 PM
07/02/07 11:31 PM
Chicago, IL
Made Member
Made Member
Chicago, IL
My mistake. I stand corrected.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull