GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mustachepete, 1 invisible), 285 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,803
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"All my life I wanted out" #406311
06/25/07 11:02 AM
06/25/07 11:02 AM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
Near the end of GF3... Michael tells Vincent... "all my life I wanted out"........ Vincent replies "I dont want out, I want in"

When Michael says that is he talking about a few times in his life...

ie:

1.) wanting out before getting involved in family business
Did he really want total seperation from family ie. enlisting in service, college etc...

2.) wanting out when trying to devise a way to go legit after becoming head of family?

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: ScarFather] #406327
06/25/07 11:23 AM
06/25/07 11:23 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
He is saying he always wanted out of the crime business and wanted to be legitimate. Let's not be fooled my Michael... he clearly didn't want out of the business at all, even by the end of Part III until Mary was killed.

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #406339
06/25/07 11:38 AM
06/25/07 11:38 AM
ScarFather Offline OP
Capo
ScarFather  Offline OP
Capo
 Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger
He is saying he always wanted out of the crime business and wanted to be legitimate. Let's not be fooled my Michael... he clearly didn't want out of the business at all, even by the end of Part III until Mary was killed.

I think many see this incorrectly. He didnt really want out? Why because he didnt go legitimate all at once. It would have been suicide for him to take his fingers off of some of the strings. Going legitimate for the Corleone's REALISTICALLY would have taken atleast one full generation after Michael. Thats why he wanted Tony (he throws away greatness).

Slowly, one by one you cut the strings from the puppet masters hands. Not all at once. You are then exposed and vulnerable.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: ScarFather] #406342
06/25/07 11:41 AM
06/25/07 11:41 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

He did not want out.

The line in GF II sums it all up when Tom tells him he's one and asks "do you have to wipe veryone out?" To which Michael replies "Only my enemies."

In other words as long as he had enemies, Michael was willing to kill them. That's hardly a man who wants out.

The only mobster who ever really wanted out was DeNiro in Analyze This.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: dontomasso] #406347
06/25/07 11:45 AM
06/25/07 11:45 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Seems to me like the same questions about the same subjects are being asked and answered in multiple threads.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: Don Cardi] #406405
06/25/07 01:08 PM
06/25/07 01:08 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Seems to me like the same questions about the same subjects are being asked and answered in multiple threads.

You are correct. Maybe we need to stop psychoanalyzing Michael.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: dontomasso] #406407
06/25/07 01:11 PM
06/25/07 01:11 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

So true

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: whisper] #406444
06/25/07 02:10 PM
06/25/07 02:10 PM
Alexander Kokotas Offline
Wiseguy
Alexander Kokotas  Offline
Wiseguy
But thats the basis of it - deep down, Michael has become incredibly corrupted hypocrit. You're not supposed to believe him when he says that line, because he doesn't believe it.

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: dontomasso] #406511
06/25/07 03:08 PM
06/25/07 03:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

No. There's nothing wrong in itself with psychoanalyzing Michael Corleone. The different veiwpoints is what makes these discussions interesting.

My point is that it seems that the same people are starting new topics asking what boils down to be the same type of questions that they've already asked over in another topic only a few days before.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: Don Cardi] #406734
06/26/07 06:22 AM
06/26/07 06:22 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
Perhaps the moderator could set up a classic posts library where the most frequently asked questions and their most brilliant answers are displayed. So that we would never waste our time asking the same question again and again.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: wtwt5237] #406750
06/26/07 08:35 AM
06/26/07 08:35 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: wtwt5237
Perhaps the moderator could set up a classic posts library

He has provided something even better than that. It's called a SEARCH function.

No one is saying that repeatedly asked questions are a waste of time, especially if they are posted by a new member, or haven't been asked for quite some time. But what IS a waste of time is when the same poster asks the same questions (disguising them by phrasing them differently) in 3 or 4 different topics.

Don Cardi cool

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: ScarFather] #410355
07/03/07 07:23 PM
07/03/07 07:23 PM
Y
yankeedoodle Offline
Wiseguy
yankeedoodle  Offline
Y
Wiseguy
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather

I think many see this incorrectly. He didnt really want out? Why because he didnt go legitimate all at once. It would have been suicide for him to take his fingers off of some of the strings. Going legitimate for the Corleone's REALISTICALLY would have taken atleast one full generation after Michael. Thats why he wanted Tony (he throws away greatness).

Slowly, one by one you cut the strings from the puppet masters hands. Not all at once. You are then exposed and vulnerable.

I agree. Not only did Michael want out, he never wanted IN. If Michael hadn't taken over after Sonny was killed, the lives of his entire family would have been in danger. Even with the murders in the restaurant, he did them not because it was the easiest path, but because he felt it was the only was to save his fathers life. I'm not saying I agree with his actions, but I can understand how he got there.

The psychology of the situation once those first murders occurred is interesting. It could be argued that his experiences in the war enabled those actions (the murders), and that once they were committed, further crimes were made easier through both the damage to Michaels opinion of himself (not through a 'like' of the business). Throughout the Trilogy he does seem (to me at least) to be very aware of his own 'tragedy'. In the end it is his intellect that destroys him; he is acutely aware that he has betrayed his own morals, and that is possibly the most damaging factor to his psyche. It is made very clear in Pt III that he doesn't see himself as redeemable.

He is also very, very, very paranoid, and justifiably so. By the time he's really in deep, he thinks that if he doesn't kill his enemies, they'll kill him. He's probably right. The conflict comes with his increasing inability to distinguish between threats to his and his family's safety, and threats to his power base. He feels the need, therefore, to assert control over everyone. Quite honestly, the only person who ever comes out on top of Michael is Kay.

The old adage is true: Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Michael does want out. That doesn't mean that, psychologically, he's capable of it, however. By Pt III, his need to control and his paranoia is so extreme that he simply can't let go.

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: yankeedoodle] #410400
07/04/07 12:05 AM
07/04/07 12:05 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: yankeedoodle
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather

I agree. Not only did Michael want out, he never wanted IN. If Michael hadn't taken over after Sonny was killed, the lives of his entire family would have been in danger. Even with the murders in the restaurant, he did them not because it was the easiest path, but because he felt it was the only was to save his fathers life. I'm not saying I agree with his actions, but I can understand how he got there.

The psychology of the situation once those first murders occurred is interesting. It could be argued that his experiences in the war enabled those actions (the murders), and that once they were committed, further crimes were made easier through both the damage to Michaels opinion of himself (not through a 'like' of the business). Throughout the Trilogy he does seem (to me at least) to be very aware of his own 'tragedy'. In the end it is his intellect that destroys him; he is acutely aware that he has betrayed his own morals, and that is possibly the most damaging factor to his psyche. It is made very clear in Pt III that he doesn't see himself as redeemable.

He is also very, very, very paranoid, and justifiably so. By the time he's really in deep, he thinks that if he doesn't kill his enemies, they'll kill him. He's probably right. The conflict comes with his increasing inability to distinguish between threats to his and his family's safety, and threats to his power base. He feels the need, therefore, to assert control over everyone. Quite honestly, the only person who ever comes out on top of Michael is Kay.

The old adage is true: Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Michael does want out. That doesn't mean that, psychologically, he's capable of it, however. By Pt III, his need to control and his paranoia is so extreme that he simply can't let go.

I think Michael wanted to go out on his own terms. That's not unusual; most of us would probably want to do the same thing. After the AC hit, he could have folded up tent. But, he found rationales to keep him in it. Remember the garden discussion in Sicily. "We're obligated to step in." he agreed with Vinnie's words.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: olivant] #428394
08/23/07 05:13 PM
08/23/07 05:13 PM
USA
J
JMDII Offline
Wiseguy
JMDII  Offline
J
Wiseguy
USA
I think he wanted out he simply could not find the right way out. Mike could not afford to leave all at once and still hold such a powerful position in life. Also the other families wanted to keep him around because he could make them so much money. He always held something that they wanted. Mike wanted out of the illegit world but still wanted power in legit business. This is why he was angry with Anthony, like Vito hoped for Mike, micheal hoped that one day his son would be among the world elite...senator Corleone, govenor Corleone-the oval office

JMD
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: JMDII] #430127
08/30/07 01:05 PM
08/30/07 01:05 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Michael saying he wanted out is like an alcoholic saying he can quit drinking whenever he wants to. It is total denial.

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: dontomasso] #430136
08/30/07 01:23 PM
08/30/07 01:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Michael saying he wanted out is like an alcoholic saying he can quit drinking whenever he wants to. It is total denial.

Ditto. Above someone posted that Michael wanted out on his terms. Exactly. What was it that he wanted out of? Murder, mayhem, destruction? Yes. How do you get of all that? Do you wean yourself from it?: "Well, through my 12 step murder for profit recovery plan, over time I gradually reduce the number of people I murder and I graduate from guns, then to knives, then to my bare hands, then to just beating them up, then just pushing them around. In no time at all, I'm cured."

Well, I don't think so. You just drop it all today, period!

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: olivant] #430147
08/30/07 01:48 PM
08/30/07 01:48 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant

Ditto. Above someone posted that Michael wanted out on his terms. Exactly. What was it that he wanted out of? Murder, mayhem, destruction? Yes. How do you get of all that? Do you wean yourself from it?: "Well, through my 12 step murder for profit recovery plan, over time I gradually reduce the number of people I murder and I graduate from guns, then to knives, then to my bare hands, then to just beating them up, then just pushing them around. In no time at all, I'm cured."

Well, I don't think so. You just drop it all today, period!

A 12 step program for Michael. I think he would get stuck on that "Higher power" thing.

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: dontomasso] #430516
09/01/07 01:27 PM
09/01/07 01:27 PM
DC
pacino princess Offline
Underboss
pacino princess  Offline
Underboss
DC
I don't see him as a hypocrite, now or then, watching this film. I think he had a huge burden of responsibility to fulfill, I feel that he wished he didn't have to shoulder that burden and that's essentially what he meant by "wanting out". He wanted to not have to do it, but he HAD to do it. It was the difference between being stuck in limbo (the world of crime he was immersed in) and keeping his family alive in physical and in name- Or losing all of that to become "legitimate". And legitimacy had been tainted in his eyes as well, as soon as Sen. Geary was introduced to him.
But that's my opinion, to each his own. =)

Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: pacino princess] #430629
09/01/07 04:35 PM
09/01/07 04:35 PM
O
OliveOilVoice Offline
Associate
OliveOilVoice  Offline
O
Associate
We are all products of our upbringing. However much we think we are not like our parents, more often than not, we turn out alot like them. Michael is Scilian and raised by a man who said: Where I come from, if you go to kill a man, you better finish him off.

Even though Michael may have wanted to get away from the family business more than anything, he wasn't going to get away from his upbringing. If Michael had succeeded in going legit as he'd always wanted, that belief system would still be in place. The second anyone tried to pull anything on him or his family, I am pretty sure he's still react as the Scilian he is.

You can act like a MAN!
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: OliveOilVoice] #430652
09/01/07 05:48 PM
09/01/07 05:48 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael never wanted out. He had free choice at every step in his life. He chose the Mafia life. See here for past discussion:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...h=true#Post2286

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "All my life I wanted out" [Re: Turnbull] #430679
09/01/07 07:39 PM
09/01/07 07:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Michael never wanted out. He had free choice at every step in his life. He chose the Mafia life. See here for past discussion:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...h=true#Post2286

Emphatically: Ditto!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull