GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CNote), 82 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,903
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What made Mike so cold? #406170
06/24/07 09:35 PM
06/24/07 09:35 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
Mike was a happy person before taking over as head of the family. But then he operated as Don without a heart. Yes, he always did "what was best for the family" and business, but still... Vito had a heart and was a great Don.

So what was it in Mike that made him so cold?

Re: What made Mike so cold? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #406182
06/24/07 10:25 PM
06/24/07 10:25 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
It could have been a number of things.Maybe hiding out in Sicily for so long began hardening his heart.As he missed being in America.Then there was the death of Appolonia,which i believe contributed to his change.Also in the novel it says that he went through three years of the Dons tutelage,and like you said ,although the Dons wasn't as cold,Michael had had different things and aspects of his life from Vito's while beginning his "training".Which made him a lot more colder.Just some of my thoughts. Also Vito had never lost a wife also.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: What made Mike so cold? [Re: whisper] #406203
06/24/07 11:14 PM
06/24/07 11:14 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
It could have been a number of things.Maybe hiding out in Sicily for so long began hardening his heart.As he missed being in America.Then there was the death of Appolonia,which i believe contributed to his change.Also in the novel it says that he went through three years of the Dons tutelage,and like you said ,although the Dons wasn't as cold,Michael had had different things and aspects of his life from Vito's while beginning his "training".Which made him a lot more colder.Just some of my thoughts. Also Vito had never lost a wife also.

Agreed... AND.... for Michael it was different. Vito became Don from scratch. Michael had the bullseye's on his back from jumpstreet.

Son of a Don
Not as good as Vito in some eyes
Saving family
Inexperienced Don

He had to bulldoze forward. Too much is made of his coldness. He was a perfectionist and it showed in his success as Don.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: What made Mike so cold? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #406234
06/25/07 12:09 AM
06/25/07 12:09 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You can argue that a succession of traumas--his father's shooting, his murder of S&M to "protect" his father, the Sicilian exile, having to give up Kay and college, Appolonia's murder in his stead--hardened him and made him cold. We did see him playful in a deleted scene before Vito was shot.
But coldness is in one's nature. Look at the flashback scene at the end of GFII and you'll see the future, below-zero Don Corleone.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What made Mike so cold? [Re: Turnbull] #406276
06/25/07 09:42 AM
06/25/07 09:42 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
It may have to do with the fact that he was dragged into his role by circumstance as much as choice. He did not want to be a man like his father, but when his father was hot it became evident to him that unless he intervened his father and all he built would be gone. Had he not gone to the hospital that night, Vito would have been shot dead. Had he not kiled Sollozzzo and McCluskey Vito would be dead. He knew in his heart that Santino was not a good Don, and he sensed that Tom lacked the toughness to be a wartime consigliere. You can see the transformation from "nice college kid" to cold blooded killer as he sits in the chair hatching the plan to kill Sollozzo, it is a brilliant scene which ends with Michael telling Sonny "its not personal, its purely business."
As much as there is talk of a man having but one destiny, I do not believe Michael thought that was the case. Hebelieved he could be the master of his own desitny, and when that belief was chattered it transformed him.

In a way, Michael had the zeal of someone who converts from one religiion to another. Once he became a mafioso, he was going to be the meanest, toughest and coldest of them all. On top of that Michael was always something of a loner anyway. With that kind of personality, that kind of life change, and that kind of power, you have a lethal combination.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull