GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 289 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,798
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Turnbull] #403499
06/18/07 02:09 AM
06/18/07 02:09 AM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather
battles and wars... care to elaborate?

Defeats Roth--but has to kill Fredo for betraying him. Outsmarts the Senators--but loses Kay. Finally gains control of Immobiliare--but beloved daughter killed in the process. Dies broken-hearted in Sicily, attended only by a little dog...

Any one of those negatives could have happened without the prior positive.

I dont see the analogy those.... Roth was the battle and Fredo was the war?? etc... etc... etc...

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: ScarFather] #403506
06/18/07 04:34 AM
06/18/07 04:34 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
The mafia business is not clean business, so there is an underlying contradict that power and family can not stay in the same ship. As long as Micheal has chosen the way, dark fate will haunt him till the end.

Last edited by wtwt5237; 06/18/07 04:44 AM.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: wtwt5237] #403508
06/18/07 04:57 AM
06/18/07 04:57 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Michael was a machine at handling his work as the Don. He didn't allow himself to be consumed by emotion (until GFIII), but even then, the power, once again, had shifted. If he were running for office, he would gain the reception as Hillary Clinton (when several consider her to be very cold). In the mafia, however, charisma isn't as essential as it is in the political field.

The Corleone Family under Michael's control can be best summed up by this quote from Alexander Solzhenitsyn:

"The aims of a great empire and the moral health of a people are incompatible."

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Tony Love] #403586
06/18/07 11:10 AM
06/18/07 11:10 AM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Tony Love
In the mafia, however, charisma isn't as essential as it is in the political field.

But Joey Zasa said, "Its true I make a bella figura"

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: ScarFather] #413505
07/10/07 05:26 PM
07/10/07 05:26 PM
Tony Montana Offline
Wiseguy
Tony Montana  Offline
Wiseguy

Defeats Roth--but has to kill Fredo for betraying him. Outsmarts the Senators--but loses Kay. Finally gains control of Immobiliare--but beloved daughter killed in the process. Dies broken-hearted in Sicily, attended only by a little dog...

I dont see the analogy those.... Roth was the battle and Fredo was the war?? etc... etc... etc...

It is really surprising to me that you can't see the relation between these elements of the analogies. Fredo and Roth represent the two main facets of Michael's life, the business and the family. Michael came out on top in his business leanings, yet it cost him part of his blood family in each case. Michael was sure to win every battle he ever came across, but the war, the retention of himself as a family man, the keeping together of his family unit, was a total failure. very easy.

you wouldnt understand
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Tony Montana] #413601
07/10/07 09:30 PM
07/10/07 09:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Tony Montana

It is really surprising to me that you can't see the relation between these elements of the analogies. Fredo and Roth represent the two main facets of Michael's life, the business and the family. Michael came out on top in his business leanings, yet it cost him part of his blood family in each case. Michael was sure to win every battle he ever came across, but the war, the retention of himself as a family man, the keeping together of his family unit, was a total failure. very easy.

It's pretty clear: the firmer he grasped his illegal family, the more his blood family slipped through his fingers.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: olivant] #413800
07/11/07 02:15 PM
07/11/07 02:15 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
But he still was a good don.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #414003
07/11/07 06:30 PM
07/11/07 06:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
He took the Corleones to the apogee of underworld power inthe US. So, I guess he was. But the Board members have never been quite content with judging Michael or Vito only by their crime success.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: SC] #414157
07/12/07 11:15 AM
07/12/07 11:15 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: SC

Its interesting that you bring up two Mustache Petes as the best dons. I think the idea that times had changed (when Mike was in control) plays into this.... its almost like comparing a modern ballplayer to Joe DiMaggio ( ) .

In the trilogy we do not get to see many "modern dons," and those we see aren't all that great. Barzini fancied himself the first "new" Don, and we all know what happened to him. And another major player who could be considered "modern" was Joey Zasa, and look what happened to him. Santino, of course was declared a "bad Don" by his own father, and the only other modern Don was Vincent, who like his uncle Fredo couldn't even run a decent body guard operation. So yeah, I guess I am saying the older guys were Joe Dimaggio, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Mickey Mantle, and the newer ones are A-Rod (Mr. June) Bobby Bonds and Mark McGuire.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: olivant] #414159
07/12/07 11:24 AM
07/12/07 11:24 AM
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: olivant
He took the Corleones to the apogee of underworld power inthe US. So, I guess he was. But the Board members have never been quite content with judging Michael or Vito only by their crime success.

But when we are talking the best don in business sense (as a don is a supposed to be head of a criminal organistaion where money is the most important thing with power) I think mike was better then Vito, Vito never went in to drugs that was a bad decision, never saw paulie Gattos betrayal and also sending Luca to his death.

Mike on the other hand was cold, smart and suspected everyone. Used people when he needed and always tried to stay a head of the game regardless of morals.

Don wise mike is better.

Not including part 3 as that wasnt needed.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #414174
07/12/07 12:44 PM
07/12/07 12:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don

But when we are talking the best don in business sense (as a don is a supposed to be head of a criminal organistaion where money is the most important thing with power) I think mike was better then Vito, Vito never went in to drugs that was a bad decision, never saw paulie Gattos betrayal and also sending Luca to his death.

Mike on the other hand was cold, smart and suspected everyone. Used people when he needed and always tried to stay a head of the game regardless of morals.

Don wise mike is better.

On the other hand, Vito was never subjected to a Senate interrogation; he never had any high level member of his family betray him; and he never had to anticipate (let alone actually) murdering a member of his blood family.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: olivant] #414176
07/12/07 12:55 PM
07/12/07 12:55 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Don wise mike is better.

On the other hand, Vito was never subjected to a Senate interrogation; he never had any high level member of his family betray him; and he never had to anticipate (let alone actually) murdering a member of his blood family.

Fredo in a mafia sense had to be killed as he couldnt take it that his brother was the don of the family.

Hermen roth was a much stronger enemy then the five families and had the power to turn Frankie aganist mike but mike was still ruthless enough to stay on top. If any of the things happend to Vito i bet he wouldnt be ruthless enough to deal with the things mike had to in part 2.

Not only that Fredo was unhappy with Vitos decision of stepping him over, if Vito had talked to Fredo which i think he didnt then the fredo thing wouldnt have happend. So in other words you can blame Vito to an extent of Fredo going against the family.

Mike was stronger and better don as he also adapted to the new way, i also think Vito being an old school mafiso wouldnt be able to do that.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #428393
08/23/07 04:53 PM
08/23/07 04:53 PM
USA
J
JMDII Offline
Wiseguy
JMDII  Offline
J
Wiseguy
USA
I agree with what many have said. Micheal was a really good Don but he had lost the ability to open his heart and was far too controling. much of this has to do with the diffrence in the times. "things change" just like he tells his mother. Women no longer simply bowed down to their husbands, brotheers didn't always love and respect their brothers, and mafia loyalty was quickly eroding. He also had to create distance between himself and others in order to survive.I believe that mike earned a reputation for being cold in part due to the way he begins his term as don. With the aid of Vito he eliminates the other heads of the 5 Families as well as others like Moe Green. This earns him respect through fear. True he didn't have the heart of Vito but he was just as smart and much more ruthless. Micheal also had a good head for business and made the Family rich and respected. It would have been hard to fill the shoes of a great like Vito (as he states in II w/ Fredo) but Mike was easily one of the great Dons of his time.

JMD
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Zaf-the-don] #429979
08/29/07 03:26 PM
08/29/07 03:26 PM
F
FreddoN Offline
Associate
FreddoN  Offline
F
Associate
Don Vito Corleone could justify in his mind why his criminal life style was necessary. Without him finding his "destiny" he would have been powerless, "dangling on the strings" himself. But he was comfortable with himself and remembered where he came from and that is where his true strength as a Don came from.

Don Michael Corleone never knew the powerlessness. He knew life, only from a position of strength and wealth. He never knew what it was like to be under the thumb. Therefore, his blind ambition was to free himself and the family from the illegitimacy. Don Vito knew that for Michael to be a success in the legitimate world he had to be kept clean, free from the family business. But he acted to defend his family by killing Solazzo and was sucked in. Michael's mistake was he didn't realize what a tangled web is weaved once he entered the illegitimate world and how impossible it would be to extract himself from it. His execution of the heads of the "Five Families" was,to me, not revenge but an attempt to spring himself and his organization from the web; to do away with the forces that would suck him back in.

Michael probably could have been the indisputable best Don, if he had resigned himself to a life in the illegitimate world. But that wasn't his nature and therefore, he was never comfortable with himself.

Last edited by FreddoN; 08/29/07 03:32 PM.
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: FreddoN] #429999
08/29/07 06:25 PM
08/29/07 06:25 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: FreddoN
His execution of the heads of the "Five Families" was,to me, not revenge but an attempt to spring himself and his organization from the web; to do away with the forces that would suck him back in.

\
A perfect example of how he never really wanted "out," despite his words (and even intentions) to the contrary. Sure, he had the heads of the other families whacked prior to moving to Nevada. Then, when II opens, we see that he's still right in the middle of the New York rackets via Frankie Pentangeli, his underboss, and he's adjudicating a territorial dispute between Frankie and the Rosatos.
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in," he complains in III after the AC machine gun attack--that occurred while he just happened to be presiding over a Commission meeting...

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Turnbull] #430123
08/30/07 12:52 PM
08/30/07 12:52 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I think Mike truly wanted legitimacy but his greed overcame him and didn't allow it to happen.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: Tony Montana] #430137
08/30/07 01:26 PM
08/30/07 01:26 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
How do you judge the goodness or badness, the effectiveness or non-effectiveness of a Don? We seem to be stuck mixing Michael's business and family. To be sure, they are entertwined probably in a way that the business and family of most,if not all, Dons are not.

Re: Was Michael (Rest in peace) A Bad Don? [Re: olivant] #430140
08/30/07 01:33 PM
08/30/07 01:33 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

How do you judge the goodness or badness, the effectiveness or non-effectiveness of a Don? We seem to be stuck mixing Michael's business and family. To be sure, they are entertwined probably in a way that the business and family of most,if not all, Dons are not.

In the Godfather "the business" is also "the family business."
So this is a hair you cannot split.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull