GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, Lou_Para), 267 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me #390038
05/02/07 11:41 AM
05/02/07 11:41 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
Godfather, Part II was a great film, for many reasons. DeNiro, Gazzo, Pacino, Strassberg...

...but the real icing in this movie, for me, is Duvall. Somehow, I think GII would not have been the same movie if Duvall didn't reprise his role as Tom Hagen. I think the main reason is because Tom represents the "old ways," and is the one real "good guy" in the whole family business. By good guy, I mean a guy with a heart.

You had so many new characters in GII that, whenever Tom Hagen appeared in a scene, it was like, "hey, its Tom!" Its like I'm Senator Geary in the whorehouse, when he looks up and sees Tom there. Geary feels relief: "Hagen, that you?" As do I.

Tom's face is a calm, familiar one in a sea of turmoil. Tom's prescence is monumental to the film, and frankly Coppola was out of his mind to not meet Duvall's asking price for GIII in 1990. How much better would GIII have been if Duvall was there?

Last edited by Buttmunker; 05/02/07 11:42 AM.
Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Buttmunker] #390235
05/03/07 02:33 AM
05/03/07 02:33 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
But it will be boring if all the characters remain the same. Vito and Micheal changed in their old, so the story of GF is more interesting. And new power began to take over. Maybe it will be a bad idea to keep Duvall in GF3.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: wtwt5237] #390286
05/03/07 11:19 AM
05/03/07 11:19 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It's never a bad idea to have Robert Duvall in any movie--he's one of the greatest screen actors in history.
Richard Castellano was unforgettable as Clemenza in GF. Paramount didn't want to pay his price for being in GFII, but FFC and Puzo recouped brilliantly by creating Frankie Pentangeli and getting Michael V. Gazzo to play him--unforgettably. Paramount didn't want to pay Duvall's price for GFIII. So FFC and Puzo wrote him out and replaced him with George Hamilton--totally forgettably.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Turnbull] #390289
05/03/07 11:25 AM
05/03/07 11:25 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull

Richard Castellano was unforgettable as Clemenza in GF. Paramount didn't want to pay his price for being in GFII

Nope, it has nothing really to do with money. Mr. Castellano apparently went psycho and wanted his girlfriend to write his script lines for the Clemenza character. ???? WTF. A crazy person!

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Buttmunker] #390292
05/03/07 11:39 AM
05/03/07 11:39 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
Nope, it has nothing really to do with money. Mr. Castellano apparently went psycho and wanted his girlfriend to write his script lines for the Clemenza character. ???? WTF. A crazy person!

Here is a relevant quote from p. 217 of Harlan Lebo's "The Godfather Legacy," the definitive book on the Trilogy:

"Richard Castellano, who played Peter Clemenza in The Godfather, demanded too much money. So Clemenza inexplicably 'dies' just before the 1959 sequence of the film [GFII] begin."

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Turnbull] #390294
05/03/07 11:43 AM
05/03/07 11:43 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
Here there be controversary. In Francis Ford Coppola's making-of documentary on the Godfather Trilogy DVD set, he mentions what I said about someone else writing "Clemenza's speech." Coppola beseeched Richard and said, "c'mon, how can someone else possibly write for your character when Puzo and I are writing the screenplay for the movie?" Richard would have none of it, thus he was written out.

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Buttmunker] #390311
05/03/07 12:31 PM
05/03/07 12:31 PM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline
The Dude
UK
I think there's an element of truth to both stories - maybe Harlan Lebo was being somewhat diplomatic and took journalistic licence, but you have it straight from FFC in the commentary. Maybe the truth is a combination of both.

Back on topic, can't agree more with the sentiments regarding Mr Duvall. As great as his performance in GF1 was, I believe he completely captures the heart and soul of that character in the second film. In particular, I love the way he and Michael P. Gazzo played the 'gladiator' scene.

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Paul Krendler] #390326
05/03/07 12:43 PM
05/03/07 12:43 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Paul Krendler
I think there's an element of truth to both stories - maybe Harlan Lebo was being somewhat diplomatic and took journalistic licence, but you have it straight from FFC in the commentary. Maybe the truth is a combination of both.

I've always heard that there were TWO reasons why Castellano didn't appear in Part II: the money AND script approval.

I don't think FFC would readily admit that money was the deciding factor in not hiring Castellano again. FFC basically let Brando slide as well and although he never admitted it (on the DVD commentary or elsewhere) he childishly left both Castellano's and Brando's pictures off the Family Crime Chart used in Part II.

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: SC] #390331
05/03/07 12:55 PM
05/03/07 12:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: SC

he childishly left both Castellano's and Brando's pictures off the Family Crime Chart used in Part II.

I wonder SC, had FFC put the pictures of Brando and Castellano on that chart, would they have been entitled to some monies for his using their images in the movie?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: SC] #390333
05/03/07 12:57 PM
05/03/07 12:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I agree SC. FFC is famous for holding grudges under those circumstances. Don't forget, when Paramount finally signed Coppola on in 1989, Pacino's asking price was much more than the eventual 5 million that he received. Coppola's immediate reaction was threatening to open the film with the funeral of Michael Corleone. Very childish. In GF 2 it worked out for the best, Pentangeli stole the movie. In GF 3, it came back to bite him in the ass. I still get nauseous at seeing George Hamilton in anything as a result of it.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: pizzaboy] #390343
05/03/07 01:46 PM
05/03/07 01:46 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
FCC, playing it cheap. Well, whatever - we have GII, despite the absences of Brando and Castellano.

Which causes me to wonder...all of Santino's lines in GII were written for Brando's brief cameo. When Brando signed off, the lines went to James Caan. If Brando had been there, Caan would merely have been silent, except when grabbing Michael and calling him "stupid." I guess Caan was very glad that Brando wasn't there, cause Caan got to hog the entire scene.

Castellano must have went off the deep end - you didn't hear from him much after GI in 1972. If he did movies (and I'm sure someone will peek at IMDB), they were not in the same caliber as GI.

Duvall/Hamilton. Hmm...FFC, by that time, had lost his talents anyway. After GII, Francis's films were lackluster anyway. Which explains how George Hamilton won the role in III.

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Buttmunker] #390348
05/03/07 01:52 PM
05/03/07 01:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Keep in mind that the major reason that FFC decided to do GFIII was because his wine business was taking a beating financially and he needed the money. That is probably why he was being so chincey with the contracts. He probably tried minimizing the costs in order to maximize his profits.

FFC had to be really desperate to cast George Hamilton.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Don Cardi] #390349
05/03/07 01:54 PM
05/03/07 01:54 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Keep in mind that the major reason that FFC decided to do GFIII was because his wine business was taking a beating financially and he needed the money.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: SC] #390351
05/03/07 01:57 PM
05/03/07 01:57 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: SC
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Keep in mind that the major reason that FFC decided to do GFIII was because his wine business was taking a beating financially and he needed the money.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

You are a sick person.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Robert Duvall "makes" Godfather, Part II for me [Re: Buttmunker] #390413
05/03/07 03:14 PM
05/03/07 03:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The story of Ardell Sheridan and Castellano's dialog has been told so many times that it's probably true. You can understand why FFC told that story instead of the money angle--he'd like us to believe crass old Paramount cheaped out on Castellano, when in fact he had considerable responsibility for bringing the film in on or around budget.
But money talks--especially in Hollywood. If Castellano'd gotten his price, he would have been in GFII--with or (probably) without his girlfriend's scriptwriting help.

The irony is that, when GF was cast, Duvall, Caan and Pacino had yet to star in a blockbuster film, and Brando's reputation and career were in tatters. Castellano was the only bank-able star at that time, and he got the highest salary. But the tremendous success of GF made it a franchise. That "franchise" enabled FFC to have the luxury of deciding that only Pacino and Keaton (and of course, his sister) were necessary to keep the franchise going and credible. So, when the stars that he made through the earlier film(s) demanded too much, he wrote them out of the sequel(s).

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull