GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 261 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,423
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Today In History! [Re: olivant] #390200
05/02/07 09:41 PM
05/02/07 09:41 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, it seems he didn't. You would think that hanging around his Dad in the carpenter shop all those years and given who he "really" was, he could have invented power tools at least.

Those Roman procurators monopolized the patents throughout Judea. ;\)

Sure, Leonardo could paint the Mona Lisa, design structures and envision helicopters and tanks, but I'd like to see him feed a multitude with seven fishes and seven loaves of bread. \:D ;\)

Re: Today In History! [Re: klydon1] #390204
05/02/07 10:33 PM
05/02/07 10:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: klydon1
Well, it seems he didn't. You would think that hanging around his Dad in the carpenter shop all those years and given who he "really" was, he could have invented power tools at least.

Those Roman procurators monopolized the patents throughout Judea. ;\)

Sure, Leonardo could paint the Mona Lisa, design structures and envision helicopters and tanks, but I'd like to see him feed a multitude with seven fishes and seven loaves of bread. \:D ;\)

Well, the trick is that you have to cut them up into really tiny pieces.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Today In History! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #390206
05/02/07 10:34 PM
05/02/07 10:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Oh, and thanks SB and DC for clearing those up.

(Personally, without meaning any disrespect to the Catholic belief, I think Jesus is a much more persuasive and convincing Christian or prophet or teacher of good faith if I view him as a human; not a God with human traits, but a human, born from a womb, whose fundamental and most important concern was doing good through actions of goodness.)

Well, if you do view him as human, then how do you account for the miracles he performed?

Re: Today In History! [Re: pizzaboy] #390262
05/03/07 07:33 AM
05/03/07 07:33 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
 Originally Posted By: Obsessed With The GodFather
TODAY:

1519 Leonardo da Vinci died.

Actually, according to Dan Brown, he's alive and well and living with Elvis Presley in a tiki hut on Maui.

Funny, I didn't read anything about that in Careless Love... \:p

Re: Today In History! [Re: olivant] #390270
05/03/07 08:57 AM
05/03/07 08:57 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Well, if you do view [Jesus] as human, then how do you account for the miracles he performed?
I'm not a Christian. I could never make the commitments it demands of me, just in the same sense I could never become a communist, in the sense that capitalism bores me. What are religions but simply ideological manipulations of the Many? And although Christianity has purposeful and appealing ends, its means throughout history have done little good for its name, and its means today ask me to turn contrary to all I believe in.

I think miracles as told in the Bible are meant to be taken allegorically, were intended allegorically, and hold much resonance (and more sense) allegorically. The principle beliefs of Christianity are good and effective in sparking a sense of goodness and going about life in a good, beneficial way. (Good and beneficial as regards allowing humanity to continue to exist, to evolve naturally.)

But sparking a sense of goodness stops at teaching; when you tell a person how to fish, you don't then catch the fish for him and eliminate the point of your lesson.

Those miracles are, as all allegories are in some way, a lie. Necessary lies, but still lies. It seems absurd to me, in this day and age especially, to hold the miracles in a literal way, to keep Christianity in its cage of ultimate mystifier.

There is apparently enough historical and scientific evidence that Jesus did exist. That too may or may not be a lie, I don't know, I don't necessarily care. But I think it is beneficial, in the same way it is beneficial to look at Ghandi and other selected individuals whose philosophies present insight into humanity and possible solutions to its continuity (it is also mightily beneficial to teach the readings of Mein Kempf, and illustrate in those teachings exactly why it, the book, is not benificial to the human race.)

Though I am in no position to attack such beliefs, and although I will defend anybody's right to believe in them, it seems odd that people should look upto God, or the Gods, or some Higher Power, instead of to their own. It's very bleak, really. And just reading or hearing the way we write or talk about God, the Christian God, goes some ways to illustrate the flaws and deficiencies in our society: for starters, we refer to God as a He, as Him; 'He' is a product of a patriarchal society, regardless of moral intentions; all actions of war and oppression have been declared in the name of God by men, by individuals, on the oppressed Many; 'He' is the product of an imbalanced world, and 'His' creation and sustained existence by 'Us' adds further to such imbalancing.

Those are my opinions, since you asked for them; John Fowles goes to convincing, though by no means persuasive, lengths in The Aristos in elaborating upon what I've written here. It's convincing because it would take a brave, literate, articulate man to deny Fowles's logic, his pragmatism, his faith, in Evolutionism; it isn't persuasive, because it's the kind of writing (he's a fantastic linguist, and a self-conscious one too) you only connect with if you already feel the same way. He says in his preface he's not interested in converting people to this faith or that faith. Throughout, from the beginning, and as the important final message, his emphasis is on individuality, The Individual, the importance of knowing oneself in a world full of selves. Christianity, among many other things, threatens that.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Today In History! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #390357
05/03/07 02:01 PM
05/03/07 02:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
So, you are saying that the miracles were not supernatural events. You are saying that they are allegories. Fine, but there is absolutely nothing except one's own experience to discredit the Bible's narration of Jesus' miracles as supernatural events, right?

Re: Today In History! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #390401
05/03/07 02:43 PM
05/03/07 02:43 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Well, if you do view [Jesus] as human, then how do you account for the miracles he performed?
I'm not a Christian. I could never make the commitments it demands of me, just in the same sense I could never become a communist, in the sense that capitalism bores me. What are religions but simply ideological manipulations of the Many? And although Christianity has purposeful and appealing ends, its means throughout history have done little good for its name, and its means today ask me to turn contrary to all I believe in.

I think miracles as told in the Bible are meant to be taken allegorically, were intended allegorically, and hold much resonance (and more sense) allegorically. The principle beliefs of Christianity are good and effective in sparking a sense of goodness and going about life in a good, beneficial way. (Good and beneficial as regards allowing humanity to continue to exist, to evolve naturally.)

But sparking a sense of goodness stops at teaching; when you tell a person how to fish, you don't then catch the fish for him and eliminate the point of your lesson.

Those miracles are, as all allegories are in some way, a lie. Necessary lies, but still lies. It seems absurd to me, in this day and age especially, to hold the miracles in a literal way, to keep Christianity in its cage of ultimate mystifier.

There is apparently enough historical and scientific evidence that Jesus did exist. That too may or may not be a lie, I don't know, I don't necessarily care. But I think it is beneficial, in the same way it is beneficial to look at Ghandi and other selected individuals whose philosophies present insight into humanity and possible solutions to its continuity (it is also mightily beneficial to teach the readings of Mein Kempf, and illustrate in those teachings exactly why it, the book, is not benificial to the human race.)

Though I am in no position to attack such beliefs, and although I will defend anybody's right to believe in them, it seems odd that people should look upto God, or the Gods, or some Higher Power, instead of to their own. It's very bleak, really. And just reading or hearing the way we write or talk about God, the Christian God, goes some ways to illustrate the flaws and deficiencies in our society: for starters, we refer to God as a He, as Him; 'He' is a product of a patriarchal society, regardless of moral intentions; all actions of war and oppression have been declared in the name of God by men, by individuals, on the oppressed Many; 'He' is the product of an imbalanced world, and 'His' creation and sustained existence by 'Us' adds further to such imbalancing.

Those are my opinions, since you asked for them; John Fowles goes to convincing, though by no means persuasive, lengths in The Aristos in elaborating upon what I've written here. It's convincing because it would take a brave, literate, articulate man to deny Fowles's logic, his pragmatism, his faith, in Evolutionism; it isn't persuasive, because it's the kind of writing (he's a fantastic linguist, and a self-conscious one too) you only connect with if you already feel the same way. He says in his preface he's not interested in converting people to this faith or that faith. Throughout, from the beginning, and as the important final message, his emphasis is on individuality, The Individual, the importance of knowing oneself in a world full of selves. Christianity, among many other things, threatens that.

Faith > Your Argument.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: Today In History! [Re: Double-J] #390443
05/03/07 03:45 PM
05/03/07 03:45 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
What does that mean?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Today In History! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #390458
05/03/07 03:56 PM
05/03/07 03:56 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
How did things get so far? Will the invocation of Leonardo Da Vinci's death shake the faith of the believers or give faith to the non believers? Will the discussion of miracles solve anything? I too am against the belief in miracles, and for years I have paid my people not to believe in them, but someone comes to them and tells them of something fantastic, and they say donate a little money, and a miracle will happen to you.
And they can't refuse. I would keep religion in the Churches. I don't want it in public schools and I don't want it in public squares. That's an infamnia. In my city I would keep it in the dark areas. Theyre animals anyway, let them gain their souls.

P.S. We are now one day past Da Vinci's death. Who died today?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Today In History! [Re: dontomasso] #390466
05/03/07 04:00 PM
05/03/07 04:00 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

P.S. We are now one day past Da Vinci's death. Who died today?

Wally Schirra.

Re: Today In History! [Re: SC] #390469
05/03/07 04:04 PM
05/03/07 04:04 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Peter Pan

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390472
05/03/07 04:12 PM
05/03/07 04:12 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
 Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Peter Pan

Peter Pan never grows up, so how can he die?

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Today In History! [Re: bogey] #390473
05/03/07 04:14 PM
05/03/07 04:14 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: bogey
Peter Pan

Don't pick on DE NIRO. He got confused with this and one of the games.... the question was what he used his PP for.

Re: Today In History! [Re: bogey] #390475
05/03/07 04:19 PM
05/03/07 04:19 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Peter Pan

You again.

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Today In History! [Re: SC] #390476
05/03/07 04:22 PM
05/03/07 04:22 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted By: SC
Peter Pan

Don't pick on DE NIRO. He got confused with this and one of the games.... the question was what he used his PP for.

If you want to get rid of the games section then do it,i couldn't give a shit...

I'll give BOGEY 2 minutes to reply to this..

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390480
05/03/07 04:28 PM
05/03/07 04:28 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

What if she doesn't respond within two minutes?

Re: Today In History! [Re: SC] #390482
05/03/07 04:29 PM
05/03/07 04:29 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Then she will be sonic boomed..

Last edited by DE NIRO; 05/03/07 04:31 PM.

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390484
05/03/07 04:32 PM
05/03/07 04:32 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
If you want to get rid of the games section then do it,i couldn't give a shit...

You couldn't give a sh*t about them getting rid of the games section, yet you post in there as much as I do?

Re: Today In History! [Re: Irishman12] #390487
05/03/07 04:43 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
DE NIRO, I love you.

Quote:

Now.. you were talking to SC.. yet gave ME a 2 minute time limit to reply? I never said anything about the games section, so honestly, I'm not sure what you're hoping I'll say. And Irish is right.. you've got 26,000+ posts. And I bet at least 25,000 of those are in the Games section.

SC or Geoff, if that section is hypothetically deleted... will all those posts of his go away? I mean, will his post count go down?

Because I think that'd be hilarious.

ANYWAY, DE NIRO, I asked a serious question. How can Peter Pan die, if he lives in Neverland, and never grows up? I thought maybe you were trying to be funny.. but you failed miserably if you were. So I'm just going to go with my original thought, which was, you don't know what you're talking about. (Surprise, surprise!)

And I can't believe you sonic boomed me. EVERYONE knows I have sonic boom-proof armor. AND only a select few people can USE to sonic boom, and you're not one of them. You can try, but you'll always fail.

Adieu!

Re: Today In History! [Re: Irishman12] #390489
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Yeah but it doesn't mean i care for them,Even thought i still post in there,i lost interst in them long ago...Time to think of some more games..

Re: Today In History! [Re: SC] #390490
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
 Originally Posted By: SC

What if she doesn't respond within two minutes?

OMG He's gonna come get me, that's what!!!

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390492
05/03/07 04:44 PM
05/03/07 04:44 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Yeah but it doesn't mean i care for them,Even thought i still post in there,i lost interst in them long ago...Time to think of some more games..

You just got stumped in the Numbers thread, admit it.

Re: Today In History! [Re: bogey] #390493
05/03/07 04:47 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

How many more times you ganna go on about that game,you sound like a broken record..

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390494
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
One point for the Bogzter.

Re: Today In History! [Re: bogey] #390496
05/03/07 04:50 PM
05/03/07 04:50 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Good for You..keep It Up

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390499
05/03/07 04:51 PM
05/03/07 04:51 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Good for You..keep It Up

How exactly do you decide which words you'll capitalize?

Just curious.

2-nil.

Re: Today In History! [Re: bogey] #390500
05/03/07 04:54 PM
05/03/07 04:54 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Does it bother you that much,thats getting boring too.

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390502
05/03/07 05:01 PM
05/03/07 05:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

If we lose the games forum -- De Niro loses all of his contacts and half his posts. The other games forum participants might wind up supporting De Niro just to avoid a long--destructive BB war.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Today In History! [Re: DE NIRO] #390505
05/03/07 05:02 PM
05/03/07 05:02 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

I think Bogey secretly has the hots for De Niro and thats why she always picks on him

Last edited by DonMichaelCorleone; 05/03/07 05:02 PM.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Today In History! [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #390507
05/03/07 05:10 PM
05/03/07 05:10 PM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline
The Dude
UK
 Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone
I think Bogey secretly has the hots for De Niro and thats why she always picks on him

I must admit there is that certain je ne sais quoi about their exchanges.

C'mon guys, kiss and make up. Or just kiss.

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull