GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 572 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,119
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,719
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is analogous is in the trilogy #389021
04/27/07 03:53 AM
04/27/07 03:53 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline OP
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline OP
W
Made Member
I have noticed something analogous in the trilogy. At the beginning of these films there are always a grand party and songs and children.
These arrangements may have their hidden meaning. The grand parties and songs build a peaceful and happy aura. And the children are the symbols of innocence. However, all these are not true. Undercurrents of crime and treachery lay behind the disguise.
This is my opinion, yours are expected here.

Last edited by wtwt5237; 04/27/07 03:53 AM.

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: wtwt5237] #389081
04/27/07 11:18 AM
04/27/07 11:18 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Well, FFC's purpose of these parties is to introduce characters, plots, and scenarios. Simply put; he wants to set the tone of the relationships between characters. I believe this is BRILLIANTLY done in all of the films. The best... Vito's relationship with Johnny Fontain (sp?) and Vito's relationship/uneasiness of Luca.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: FrankWhite] #389084
04/27/07 11:35 AM
04/27/07 11:35 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It goes a little farther. The parties all take place after a religious ceremony (a wedding, a baptism, and an appointment to a Sacred Order). At the party there are always business meetings going on (Vito doling out favors; Michael and Ola and Geary; Michael Zasa and Vincent) There are also foreshadowings of things to come (Barzini acosting the photographer and Paulie lusting for COnnie's money); Ola handing Michael an orange; Vincent biting Zasa's ear). There is also photography involved where someone gets uncomfortably dragged into the picture (Kay with Michael; Geary with Michael and vice versa; and Vincent with the family).

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: dontomasso] #389085
04/27/07 11:39 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
I agree DonT 100%. Good additions. It's the "set-up"

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: FrankWhite] #389086
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
And might I add that in the begining of all three movies, The Don, be it Vito in GFI or Michael in GFII & III, is always granting an audience to their respective guests, being it the asking of favors or of making business decisions.

EDIT : DonT we must have posted at the same time.

Last edited by Don Cardi; 04/27/07 11:41 AM.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: Don Cardi] #389090
04/27/07 12:06 PM
04/27/07 12:06 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
EDIT : DonT we must have posted at the same time.

Great minds, Don C......

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: dontomasso] #389092
04/27/07 12:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
One other factor:
It's FFC's way of reinforcing that the Trilogy is, first and foremost, a saga about a family. The Mafia is the family's milieu, but it's not a Mafia movie per se. To make an analogy: "Gone With the Wind" is a movie about a family, with the US Civil War as the backdrop. But it's not a Civil War movie.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: dontomasso] #389093
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
It goes a little farther. The parties all take place after a religious ceremony (a wedding, a baptism, and an appointment to a Sacred Order). At the party there are always business meetings going on (Vito doling out favors; Michael and Ola and Geary; Michael Zasa and Vincent) There are also foreshadowings of things to come (Barzini acosting the photographer and Paulie lusting for COnnie's money); Ola handing Michael an orange; Vincent biting Zasa's ear). There is also photography involved where someone gets uncomfortably dragged into the picture (Kay with Michael; Geary with Michael and vice versa; and Vincent with the family).

After the set up there are also elements of the "Godfather movie formula" if I may be so presumptuous as to call it that...

After everyone is introduced the main character always has a brush with death --- Vito being hit --- The attempt on Michael's life --- Michael's diabetic stroke --- followed by a vacuum at the top which gets the family deeper into trouble with their enemies ; Sonny killing Tattaglia Jr, and Michael killing Sollozzo, and the prolonged war; The "assassination" of Pentangeli under Tom's watch; Connie, Neri and Vincent killing Zasa without Michael's permission. This is followed by the main character reasserting himself, but having to take a less aggressive posture --- Vito calling the meeting after Sonny died; Michael pretending to go along with Roth; The pope's death
which temporarily killed the Immobiliare deal, then followed by Corleone style revenge the killings at the end of all three movies. In that respect GFIII differs because it ends with Mary's death and what is perceived to be the end of Michael Corleone as we knew him.

Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: Turnbull] #389094
04/27/07 12:20 PM
04/27/07 12:20 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
EXCELLENT POINT TB!!! one that I've never thought in terms of. Thank you for that insight.

Re: What is analogous is in the trilogy [Re: FrankWhite] #389096
04/27/07 01:40 PM
04/27/07 01:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, indeed. The celebrations serve as a vehicle to make possible what ya'll have stated above. It's an efficient story mechanism - killing several birds with one stone, if you will. But, you might also notice one difference among the films' introduction. GFI and GFIII open with a large degree of solemnity Bonasera in the somewhat shadowed environs of the Don's study and the muted conversations). However, GFII opens with a celebration. Of course, GFI was written and filmed probably without any thought to sequels. So, its introduction is more or less a natural outcome of the authorial process. However, GFIII I see as a harken back to GFI - the solemn, muted, shadowed environemnt of a cathedral. GFII I see as sort of a new beginning, a departure from the almost casualness of Vito's way of dealing with things.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull