GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, mustachepete, 1 invisible), 405 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,085
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,374
Posts1,059,558
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? #388939
04/26/07 06:28 PM
04/26/07 06:28 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
There have been many posts regarding the conservative nature of Michael and Vito in the realm of sex. Do we really know this to be true of Michael??? There is really nothing to support this throughout the trilogy (that I recall). With Vito, we sort of get this stance in a "round-about" way. One example is through the way he chastises Santino for his games that he's "playing with that young girl".

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: FrankWhite] #388953
04/26/07 06:56 PM
04/26/07 06:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No, there is nothing in the Trilogy that literally proves that Michael was straight-laced about sex, apart from the fact that he was checking into hotel rooms with Kay, registering as Mr. and Mrs., and doing the nasty with her before they married. But nothing is depicted anywhere that shows Michael as a philanderer, or a kinky-sex practioner a la Geary. In fact, given his cold and controlling nature, I doubt he had any interest in extramarital sex--or even in marital sex, except to produce more boys for his empire. Of course, that didn't stop him from owning a brothel in Nevada (Tom said "..my brother Fredo operates this place.." which tells me that Michael probably owned it).
The novel at least twice says that Vito was "notoriously straight-laced in matters of sex."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: Turnbull] #388959
04/26/07 07:52 PM
04/26/07 07:52 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Mike's dismissal of the bimbos in Vegas (when he met with Moe Greene) was an example of his straight laced attitude (and showed that Mike was "all business and no play").

It also provided, for me, at least, one of the funnier moments of the trilogy.... did you ever notice the leacherous look on Al Neri's face as he eyed the bimbos?

Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: SC] #388975
04/26/07 09:53 PM
04/26/07 09:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
A murderer who had morals. It's the juxtaposition of so many mobsters. They are religious(?), are good to their mothers, and are fathers to their children.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: olivant] #388989
04/26/07 10:27 PM
04/26/07 10:27 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I believe that one of the reasons that Michael would not engage in adulterous acts was because he was the kind of man that was always on his game and kept his guard up against those around him. As SC said, "all business and no play." He was never one that would allow himself to be careless and put in a position where someone would have something on him to use against him.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: Don Cardi] #388994
04/26/07 11:09 PM
04/26/07 11:09 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
After his passion died with Appolonia, I think that power became Michael's aphrodisiac. Look at his proposal to Kay! It was more like he was proposing a corporate merger than a marriage. Although I think he did care for her (he spoke rather tenderly to her while dancing with Anthony's party), I think he loved her legitimacy, her WASPiness, the assets that he could trot out as it suited his pursuit of absolute power. That was more than enough for him. He didn't need sex, except, as TB said, to produce more heirs.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: SC] #389010
04/27/07 12:09 AM
04/27/07 12:09 AM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: SC
did you ever notice the leacherous look on Al Neri's face as he eyed the bimbos?

Yep, actually I watched that little moment about 3 times the other day. Tom has a rather weird look on his face too. Actually, I don't think that scene looked very real on their part. Not their best acting IMO.

Last edited by Ice; 04/27/07 12:15 AM.

Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #389015
04/27/07 12:31 AM
04/27/07 12:31 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
After his passion died with Appolonia, I think that power became Michael's aphrodisiac. Look at his proposal to Kay! It was more like he was proposing a corporate merger than a marriage. Although I think he did care for her (he spoke rather tenderly to her while dancing with Anthony's party), I think he loved her legitimacy, her WASPiness, the assets that he could trot out as it suited his pursuit of absolute power. That was more than enough for him. He didn't need sex, except, as TB said, to produce more heirs.

Absolutely.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #389037
04/27/07 08:31 AM
04/27/07 08:31 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
After his passion died with Appolonia, I think that power became Michael's aphrodisiac. Look at his proposal to Kay! It was more like he was proposing a corporate merger than a marriage.

Well put, SB! Too bad we didn't have Sarbanes-Oxley then--he'd have gone to jail. ;\)

Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: Turnbull] #389051
04/27/07 09:18 AM
04/27/07 09:18 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

In addition to what has been pointed out, you can see that Michael is totally uncomfortable at the Superman show; he derides Hagen for having a mistress; and when Moe Green tells him Fredo has been banging cocktail waitresses two at a time, he has no good answer except to say that he leaves in the morning and think about a price. He did nothing to defend Fredo after that comment was made.

As for doing the nasty with Kay, that was in his youth....after he had fought in WWII and it was during his "rebellious phase."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: dontomasso] #389080
04/27/07 11:14 AM
04/27/07 11:14 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Oh, so I see alot of instances of Michael, simply, turning a blind eye (ie the superman show, Fredo's "banging cocktail waitresses two at a time", etc.). I also see that, given Michael's personality, he wouldn't be that interested in sex, but what I don't recall ever seeing is a reason for us to believe that he holds moral objection to the idea; although I'm quite sure he knows it's wrong (as does everyone).

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: dontomasso] #389087
04/27/07 11:42 AM
04/27/07 11:42 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
As for doing the nasty with Kay, that was in his youth....after he had fought in WWII and it was during his "rebellious phase."

Ah, I see the young Michael Corleone at Darthmouth...love beads...moccasins...smoking pot...sit-ins...kumbayah... ;\)

Re: How "Straight Laced" is Michael??? [Re: Turnbull] #389089
04/27/07 12:05 PM
04/27/07 12:05 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Ah, I see the young Michael Corleone at Darthmouth...love beads...moccasins...smoking pot...sit-ins...kumbayah... ;\)

No, I don't think Michael was of that vintage. He would have been more into racoon coats, swallowing goldfish and That band leader Johnny FOntaine worked for.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull