GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 277 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,201
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,970
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is everyone's life like this?? #384580
04/13/07 10:24 AM
04/13/07 10:24 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP
Sicilian Babe  Offline OP

New York
The kids are ready to walk out the door for school at 7:15 this morning. I remind my oldest daughter that she typed an essay yesterday for US History class, and does she have it with her? Nope, it's still sitting in the printer. Oops!! The printer only printed out part of the first page and had a paper jam, so we now have to reprint all three pages, but luckily her laptop was powered up, so that didn't take TOO long.

Then, I remind my younger daughter to take her science project to school. Her father and I were gluing the printout to posterboard and burning the power point presentation to a CD at 10:00 last night. By the way, while the kids were eating breakfast, the cat jumped up on the dining room table, picked at the corner of one of the pages on the poster and started chewing it. That was quickly taken care of with a glue stick, though, and I told her to tell her teacher that the cat ate her homework.

We FINALLY get in the car 4 minutes late (believe me, every minute counts on school mornings) and my daughter tells me that she can't find the CD for her science project. May I remind everyone that all she had to do was walk from the dining room to the garage with it, and managed to lose it. We ran back in the house to look for it, but it was nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, my older daughter is screaming that she's going to be late for school, that she has a Chem test first period, and that she's going to get a detention for being late, on top of missing valuable moments for her test (and the way she's doing in Chem, she needs every second, trust me).

Well, we still can't find the CD in the house. I tell my daughter to run out to the car and see if she put it in her backpack. She finds it on the seat of the car. She couldn't find it originally because she was sitting on it.

We finally drive off to school 7 minutes late, and 3 minutes before my older daughter's first bell. At red lights, between screaming the words, "How many times have I told you kids to have everything ready the night before?!", I'm scribbling an excuse note for my older daughter so that she won't get detention, and finally dropped them off and came back home.

I was just wondering if these things happen to other people, or is it just the complete and utter anarchy that reigns in my house?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384582
04/13/07 10:27 AM
04/13/07 10:27 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Yep. Nothing like having a deadline to hand in your thesis, and have to stand in line at the printing lab for a half an hour, only to find that the professor went home early for the day, and it won't be due for another week. All in a days work. ;\)

Don't feel bad. It's everybody else, too!

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384584
04/13/07 10:29 AM
04/13/07 10:29 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
You sure that you're not talking about my kids?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Don Cardi] #384585
04/13/07 10:36 AM
04/13/07 10:36 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Very stressful indeed. I just have those kinds of days once I get into work.

I want to be a fly on the wall when your daughter tells her teacher the cat ate her homework. Priceless!!!

As far as your daughter's cd, I haven't heard the words "sit on it" since reruns of Happy days. \:\)

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Beth E] #384588
04/13/07 10:58 AM
04/13/07 10:58 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Boy that is so true! I remember those days so well. The checking homework, dropping off, picking up, going to school events, etc. I always hated it when the kids needed rides to this and that event and my kids would say, "so and so's mom can drop us off, if you can pick us up." I always felt "I" was the one who would have to leave just before bedtime to get in the car. That made me so mad. Now, with both daughters grown and on their own, I look at those days fondly believe or not.

I am amazed when I see my daughter so busy with three kids, all the time and ask myself, "did I actually go through that too?"

True story that gave me a chuckle: A couple weeks ago my daughter and I went to the Italian Market. She had the baby in one of those pouches you carry over your chest, and the two others pulling on her pantleg asking question after question, picking on each other, etc. A guy in the store looks at her and says in a joking way, "So, what do you do in your spare time?"

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #384590
04/13/07 11:09 AM
04/13/07 11:09 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
Well, at least I'm not the only one. I see some of these moms at school, every hair in place, and I wonder how they juggle everything. Usually, after a morning like that, I have to go to the office, but at least today is a work from home day.

My daughter's science teacher is a good guy, and he's allergic to cats, so he'll love this story. However, I really should post the rubric for this project. Keep in mind that these kids are 12!!!

Each student was assigned an element to research, and given 26 questions to answer. The assignment was to do a poster, plus either a diorama (I still don't understand what those are), a video, a board game or a power point presentation based on your answers to the 26 questions. And they were instructed that the 26 questions were a MINIMUM. We went with the power point (how do you do a board game about sodium?), which had to be a minimum of 15 "content" slides (title and bibliography don't count) with a minimum of four graphics/animations/pictures/sounds per slide. But it shouldn't be distracting!! How do you do both?????

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384593
04/13/07 11:27 AM
04/13/07 11:27 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
You're frightening me SB! So what you are saying is that once they hit kindergarten, I should ship 'em off to boarding school? ;\) Thanks for the sneak peek into my life 8 years from now! \:o

Good luck in maintaining your sanity. \:\)

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384595
04/13/07 11:32 AM
04/13/07 11:32 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
The assignment was to do a poster, plus either a diorama (I still don't understand what those are

Is that close to diarrhea?

Those moms with the perfectly coiffed hair probably just drank a shot of taquilla or are on their way to visit Dr. Melfi as we speak.

Last edited by Beth E; 04/13/07 11:33 AM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384596
04/13/07 11:34 AM
04/13/07 11:34 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I've experienced quite a few of those moments.

My two sons (6th and 8th grades) go to middle school, and have to get their bus at 7:00. My older son is pretty responsible, but my younger son is looking for his homework or still packing his bag at the last moment.

My daughter (3rd grade) goes to an elementary school, which is directly across the street from my wife's business, so she gets a ride from my wife. She too frequently forgets things in the morning.

What happens to us is that I may get a frantic call in the afternoon that one of the kids left his or her bat bag in my car from the previous night's practice, and they need it right away.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: klydon1] #384602
04/13/07 11:49 AM
04/13/07 11:49 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Six kids and every day was a Tabula Rosa. Fortunately, the grandkids are in awe of granddad and do just what I tell them.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: goombah] #384611
04/13/07 12:19 PM
04/13/07 12:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
 Originally Posted By: goombah
You're frightening me SB! So what you are saying is that once they hit kindergarten, I should ship 'em off to boarding school? ;\) Thanks for the sneak peek into my life 8 years from now! \:o

8 years from now?? Heck, in 3rd grade, there was the project to make a model of the Earth, Moon and Sun and the Earth and Moon had to both rotate AND revolve. Try to get an 8 year old to figure that one out.

Or the other 3rd grade project when they had to make a model of a lunar module out of completely recycled materials, and then write a letter to NASA explaining WHY their vehicle should be chosen, and there had to be actual scientific reasons for the materials you used (for example, the old tinfoil was a heat shield, the corrugated cardboard would glide over the moon's surface, etc.).

Or in 4th grade, when they were studying Native Americans, and had to make a model of a longhouse out of actual branches and tree bark (a wonder nobody caught lyme disease).

Or in 8th grade, when they had to make a model of The Washington Monument that was in proportion to the actual monument, because they were studying ratios in Math and going to Washington that spring.

Or when they had to build a model of an igloo out of sugar cubes for History class in 7th grade (try it - it's NOT fun). OR the family tree that had to be made out of an actual tree ($27 at the craft store), and not just drawn on paper.

Mr. Babe and I keep a catalogue of stupid projects (read a book, write a one page summary, then draw a picture of the main character and make a jigsaw puzzle out of it!!) that we've worked on over the years. And the school tends to keep them (I'm sure that they throw them out), so that you can't reuse them for siblings.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384615
04/13/07 12:59 PM
04/13/07 12:59 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: goombah

8 years from now?? Heck, in 3rd grade, there was the project to make a model of the Earth, Moon and Sun and the Earth and Moon had to both rotate AND revolve. Try to get an 8 year old to figure that one out.

Or the other 3rd grade project when they had to make a model of a lunar module out of completely recycled materials, and then write a letter to NASA explaining WHY their vehicle should be chosen, and there had to be actual scientific reasons for the materials you used (for example, the old tinfoil was a heat shield, the corrugated cardboard would glide over the moon's surface, etc.).

Or in 4th grade, when they were studying Native Americans, and had to make a model of a longhouse out of actual branches and tree bark (a wonder nobody caught lyme disease).

Or in 8th grade, when they had to make a model of The Washington Monument that was in proportion to the actual monument, because they were studying ratios in Math and going to Washington that spring.

Or when they had to build a model of an igloo out of sugar cubes for History class in 7th grade (try it - it's NOT fun). OR the family tree that had to be made out of an actual tree ($27 at the craft store), and not just drawn on paper.

Mr. Babe and I keep a catalogue of stupid projects (read a book, write a one page summary, then draw a picture of the main character and make a jigsaw puzzle out of it!!) that we've worked on over the years. And the school tends to keep them (I'm sure that they throw them out), so that you can't reuse them for siblings.

I'm a firm believer that those projects aren't designed so much to teach the kids, but rather to frustrate the parents.

Our diaramas (and I only learned that word from my kids) involved making colonial farmhouses, and biological displays. We also did the solar system project, which seemed easy, but turned out to be painful.

I didn't serve my son well in October when he had to make a self-propelled vehicle that travels eight feet,using dowels, rubber bands and cd discs for wheels. Two years earlier, I successfully helped my older son build one, but in October, my younger boy couldn't get his car to go 8 ft.

So, a month ago, they were required to build a desk top catapult that could launch a marsmallow 6 feet. We made one that threw the damned marshmallow 40 feet to make up for our earlier failures.

By the way, that science project about sodium seems like a parental nightmare.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384620
04/13/07 01:11 PM
04/13/07 01:11 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
My daughter completes all her homework at least 3 days before the deadline. And my son not only finishes his own homeworks on time, but also helps his sister by cross verifying all the answers. On the days of test, they get ready two hours before the actual test time. They take turns washing my car, feeding the pets and shining my wife's shoes etc. I drop them off at the school one hour ahead of time ....they do their revision for the test in the backseat of the car, while I peacefully drive listening to radio.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: svsg] #384622
04/13/07 01:17 PM
04/13/07 01:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: svsg
My daughter completes all her homework at least 3 days before the deadline. And my son not only finishes his own homeworks on time, but also helps his sister by cross verifying all the answers. On the days of test, they get ready two hours before the actual test time. They take turns washing my car, feeding the pets and shining my wife's shoes etc. I drop them off at the school one hour ahead of time ....they do their revision for the test in the backseat of the car, while I peacefully drive listening to radio.

This is why I believe in cloning.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384624
04/13/07 01:20 PM
04/13/07 01:20 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou

I was just wondering if these things happen to other people, or is it just the complete and utter anarchy that reigns in my house?

Yes. Only I'm too tired of going through similar things to type my day down to make you feel better and not alone.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: svsg] #384628
04/13/07 01:30 PM
04/13/07 01:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
 Originally Posted By: svsg

That's the type of parent that gives other parents nightmares!!

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: klydon1] #384630
04/13/07 01:32 PM
04/13/07 01:32 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
 Originally Posted By: klydon1
I didn't serve my son well in October when he had to make a self-propelled vehicle that travels eight feet,using dowels, rubber bands and cd discs for wheels. Two years earlier, I successfully helped my older son build one, but in October, my younger boy couldn't get his car to go 8 ft.

So, a month ago, they were required to build a desk top catapult that could launch a marsmallow 6 feet. We made one that threw the damned marshmallow 40 feet to make up for our earlier failures.

By the way, that science project about sodium seems like a parental nightmare.

That reminds me of the time my daughter failed her Technology project (what we used to call Shop) because she couldn't build a bridge that would hold the weight of a textbook, using only index cards and string.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384637
04/13/07 01:58 PM
04/13/07 01:58 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
It would be a miracle if my 10 year old son would get ready for school on time. We live close enough that I take him and pick him up everyday. The other day we were running late I manage to get him to school on time but wouldn't you know it he forgot his bookbag at the house I even put it right by his coat and shoes so he wouldn't forget it and he did.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Mignon] #384643
04/13/07 02:16 PM
04/13/07 02:16 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Mignon
It would be a miracle if my 10 year old son would get ready for school on time. We live close enough that I take him and pick him up everyday.

Well maybe if you stopped cooking his leather britches, he wouldn't be late because he wouldn't have to look for his pants!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Don Cardi] #384647
04/13/07 02:34 PM
04/13/07 02:34 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
He don't like leather britches

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Mignon] #384664
04/13/07 03:50 PM
04/13/07 03:50 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I understand totally!
Four kids aged 11,9,7 and 8 months!
I work shifts with plenty of over-time on top!
I have a Mother who makes Tony Soprano's mom seem like Mother Theresa....
Yeah we have stress days here too

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #384709
04/13/07 05:57 PM
04/13/07 05:57 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
SB, all this stuff happened today cuz it's Friday the 13th.
Are you superstitious?

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Mignon] #384714
04/13/07 06:06 PM
04/13/07 06:06 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
I realized that while I was writing my daughter's excuse note for being late. It struck me as rather ironic!

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384758
04/13/07 08:11 PM
04/13/07 08:11 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Diversity makes the world go 'round. Sometimes I wonder how some people make it through life. My daughter is 27 and we still have to help her make decisions and cope with life.....and this is a girl who has a Masters degree and teaches 8th grade! A parent's job is never done. Hang in SB. Little kids, little problems; big kids, big problems. Wow, I'm glad I'm normal ;>/

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: MaryCas] #384778
04/13/07 08:22 PM
04/13/07 08:22 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
MC,
Ask her if she makes her students do these kinds of stupid projects.

Re: Is everyone's life like this?? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #384845
04/14/07 03:31 AM
04/14/07 03:31 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Time hasn't definitely changed for better during last 20 years. I don't recall getting help on doing my homework from my parents. If I was lucky, I could ask my sister or brother to help me, and that was if they felt like it. Even for writing skills, no one had time to give me a dictation; my mom usually would've told me to write from the book!!! and then write something wrong so she can correct it and give me a grade!!!

Of course we walked to school and sometimes my dad would've given me and the neighbor's daughter a ride. But then I should mention that I never sat behind locked doors because no one was at home to open the door, my breakfast was always ready and my clothes was always clean so that I can get to school in time.

But now things have changed. My brother and sister seem to do much of their kids' school work, and the school work seems to be more suitable for parents than kids. You can't let kids walk from schools, because in the best case scenario, they are too careless and they may get run over by cars. They also don't seem to feel responsible for preparing their bags, or trying to hold on to their stationery for one lousy day.

And yet, as we all know these things, we can't help but help kids and push them forward, because it is somehow a more competitive world than it used to be. I pity these kids, I really do.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull