GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 61 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,817
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
See if you can tell... #381915
04/04/07 09:15 PM
04/04/07 09:15 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

Who do they belong do?

Warning, Spoiler:
HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #381999
04/05/07 09:36 AM
04/05/07 09:36 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Coooooooooooooool.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #382013
04/05/07 10:13 AM
04/05/07 10:13 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I got that email, too, JJ. ;\)

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: XDCX] #382057
04/05/07 11:56 AM
04/05/07 11:56 AM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
1)Which one is a primary residence? Gore lives in his home. That is Bush's "second home". Bush bought his FARM house when he decided to run for governor, and was living in the governor's mansion shortly thereafter. Of course he moved from there into the White House. What good is this green house if he's never lived or used it?

2) Gore trying to convert an older house, not buying a house "ready made". Anyone that has bought an older home knows how hard the process is for conversion. Many of his wanted conversions have been denied.

3) Bush tells us that the "science is not in" on Global Warming and to "go shopping." When he says we're "addicted to oil" he provides no guidance on how to avoid or lessen this -- yet his house if "off the grid"? His actions have all the appearance of a man who has taken extreme measures to guard against something he wants the rest of us to have no clue is coming.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Saladbar] #382062
04/05/07 12:17 PM
04/05/07 12:17 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
The description of the second house sounds great! Kudos to the president.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: svsg] #382077
04/05/07 02:00 PM
04/05/07 02:00 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I love the sound of silence that always meets logic.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #382155
04/05/07 05:44 PM
04/05/07 05:44 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Sorry. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be slavishly watching the forums for a reply from Saladbar.

---

Originally Posted By: Saladbar
1)Which one is a primary residence? Gore lives in his home. That is Bush's "second home". Bush bought his FARM house when he decided to run for governor, and was living in the governor's mansion shortly thereafter. Of course he moved from there into the White House. What good is this green house if he's never lived or used it?

True, his permanent residence is the White House. But if I'm not mistaken, Bush has spent an exceptionally long period of time at his ranch throughout his tenure as President (I don't have any figures to compare with past Presidents on this issue, but it seems to be quite often). Either way, the time spent there, based on the original statement, is irrelevant, because it only tells us the eco-friendly features, and not the consumption stats (which, as you've pointed out, would be skewed because the President doesn't have this as his permanent residence).

2) Gore trying to convert an older house, not buying a house "ready made". Anyone that has bought an older home knows how hard the process is for conversion. Many of his wanted conversions have been denied.

You serious?

He's a politician. Please. If he wanted things to be done a certain way, the strings would be pulled. Who is being naive now, Kay?

3) Bush tells us that the "science is not in" on Global Warming and to "go shopping." When he says we're "addicted to oil" he provides no guidance on how to avoid or lessen this -- yet his house if "off the grid"? His actions have all the appearance of a man who has taken extreme measures to guard against something he wants the rest of us to have no clue is coming.

But, unlike Gore, he isn't around telling everyone to live eco-friendly, and hypocritically doing the exact opposite.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382164
04/05/07 06:00 PM
04/05/07 06:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, hearing that Gore can't get approvals doesn't surprise me. There was a story in our local paper about a couple who was trying to get permits to put solar panels on their roof. I honestly don't remember if it was a renovation or a new construction. However, the local architectural review board denied them the necessary permits because they didn't think that the solar panels fit in with the other homes in the neighborhood and were "unsightly". The couple fought the decision, got some publicity, and eventually got their permits.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Sicilian Babe] #382166
04/05/07 06:06 PM
04/05/07 06:06 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

I will profess that local zoning and building inspection boards are completely inept, as I can attest that in my area, they don't have a clue.

However, the difference in your example, SB, and in Saladbars, is that Gore is a politician, and those you mentioned are ordinary people, which makes all the difference.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382168
04/05/07 06:09 PM
04/05/07 06:09 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right, let's have a little bit of an overview on the great measures Dubya is taking to preserve the earth, shall we?

-Bush used EPA funds to make campaign ads. - Washington Post
-Bush proposed loosening protections of endangered species. - Washington Post
-Bush overturned limits on mining waste sites. - Associated Press
-Bush intentionally played down the evidence gathered by white house scientists that supported global warming in Fall 2003. - The Observer
-Bush allowed the sale of PCB-polluted lands. - USA Today
-Bush cuts Energy Star program. - Associated Press

I could go on, but you know. That'd just be boring.

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 04/05/07 06:10 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382169
04/05/07 06:10 PM
04/05/07 06:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
No denying that, DJ. I just am always amazed at how an "architectural review board" can make these decisions, knowing full well that it will help cut down on the use of electricity.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382174
04/05/07 06:17 PM
04/05/07 06:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Double-J

Sorry. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be slavishly watching the forums for a reply from Saladbar.

---

True, his permanent residence is the White House. But if I'm not mistaken, Bush has spent an exceptionally long period of time at his ranch throughout his tenure as President (I don't have any figures to compare with past Presidents on this issue, but it seems to be quite often). Either way, the time spent there, based on the original statement, is irrelevant, because it only tells us the eco-friendly features, and not the consumption stats (which, as you've pointed out, would be skewed because the President doesn't have this as his permanent residence).

You serious?

He's a politician. Please. If he wanted things to be done a certain way, the strings would be pulled. Who is being naive now, Kay?

But, unlike Gore, he isn't around telling everyone to live eco-friendly, and hypocritically doing the exact opposite.

Regards,
Double-J

384 days at the ranch.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: long_lost_corleone] #382183
04/05/07 06:36 PM
04/05/07 06:36 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone
Right, let's have a little bit of an overview on the great measures Dubya is taking to preserve the earth, shall we?

-Bush intentionally played down the evidence gathered by white house scientists that supported global warming in Fall 2003. - The Observer

Congrats, I know I upset you for blaspheming the name of Jesus...err...Al Gore, by posting such drivel like his hypocritical consumption of energy, so much so you felt the need to cite President Bush's actions as President, taking it to a level far beyond the mildly amusing point here.

But, what the hell, let's talk about fucking China. Because, after all, while we're busy running around worrying about global warming, they could give two flying fucks.

I do hope that Gore will be at my parish tomorrow to wash the feet of his loyal followers. He's coming to my University, and already earned the title "Hero of the Earth," so I can see "savior of humanity" coming next.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382217
04/05/07 08:27 PM
04/05/07 08:27 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
I will profess that local zoning and building inspection boards are completely inept, as I can attest that in my area, they don't have a clue.

However, the difference in your example, SB, and in Saladbars, is that Gore is a politician, and those you mentioned are ordinary people, which makes all the difference.

The former Vice President's application to install solar panels on his home was denied by the zoning board ...

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382238
04/05/07 09:22 PM
04/05/07 09:22 PM
Underboss
Underboss

Congrats, I know I upset you for blaspheming the name of Jesus...err...Al Gore, by posting such drivel like his hypocritical consumption of energy, so much so you felt the need to cite President Bush's actions as President, taking it to a level far beyond the mildly amusing point here.

But, what the hell, let's talk about fucking China. Because, after all, while we're busy running around worrying about global warming, they could give two flying fucks.

I do hope that Gore will be at my parish tomorrow to wash the feet of his loyal followers. He's coming to my University, and already earned the title "Hero of the Earth," so I can see "savior of humanity" coming next.

Regards,
Double-J

I could care less about Gore; All politicians are hypocrits. But to say Dubya is even a mediocre environmentalist is blasphemy.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: long_lost_corleone] #382324
04/05/07 11:17 PM
04/05/07 11:17 PM
Cincinnati, Oh
Don Alessandrio Offline
Capo
Don Alessandrio  Offline
Capo
Cincinnati, Oh
I'm just guessing but if Bush thinks like me, he has all of these "green" admenities because they save money. I only wish I could afford a geothermal system and the water recycling capabilities.

Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Don Alessandrio] #382328
04/05/07 11:18 PM
04/05/07 11:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Oh politics are a GREAT idea right now.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Saladbar] #382418
04/06/07 08:32 AM
04/06/07 08:32 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

The former Vice President's application to install solar panels on his home was denied by the zoning board ...

First of all, where/when, and what's happening now?

Secondly, maybe the application itself was mere posturing, and, based upon his energy consumption, he really doesn't give a shit? Maybe he just likes to say he "tried," but "the man" shut him down?

Regards,
Double-J

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: long_lost_corleone] #382419
04/06/07 08:33 AM
04/06/07 08:33 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Regards,
Double-J

I could care less about Gore; All politicians are hypocrits. But to say Dubya is even a mediocre environmentalist is blasphemy.

I neither said nor implied Bush was or is "a mediocre environmentalist."

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382447
04/06/07 10:53 AM
04/06/07 10:53 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK

Who is?

Don't apologise.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382454
04/06/07 11:40 AM
04/06/07 11:40 AM
Underboss
Underboss

Regards,
Double-J

The very implication that his plan of action on the environment is better than Gore's is blasphemous in itself. Gore isn't the best at following his words, but Bush isn't much better. In fact, he's much worse.

It's the lesser of two evils; Gore is a well-informed idiot, and Bush is just an idiot.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382472
04/06/07 12:29 PM
04/06/07 12:29 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
DJ, first you said a politician can get anything done, and now it is just posturing to say "the man stopped him"?

Do you want me to start arguing for your side to help you out? The holes I left for you you didn't catch. I'm no big fan of Al Gore, I just hate those black and white neocon emails.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Saladbar] #382499
04/06/07 03:34 PM
04/06/07 03:34 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

DJ, first you said a politician can get anything done, and now it is just posturing to say "the man stopped him"?

No.

When I asserted that I had a hard time believing that a politician, particularly as one as prominent as Al Gore, would have little difficulty in getting such things taken care of, you responded by posting a response (unsubstantiated, I might add, despite my asking for a citation) describing how a building board wouldn't allow him to install solar panels. Okay.

Yet, you don't seem to understand my point. Perhaps Gore doesn't really give a shit whether or not the solar panels get installed. Maybe, perhaps, its just image posturing. I know, it may sound strange, but most if not all politicians probably, deep down, don't give a shit, but want to make themselves sound good. Gore can now say that, "well, I tried, but the man shut down my environmentalism. Bush hates black people, he lied, kids died, rah rah rah."

And frankly, I don't need or want your "help."

I've already seen your holes, and have been left unimpressed.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #382500
04/06/07 03:36 PM
04/06/07 03:36 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Who is?

Don't apologise.

Judging by your sound of silence comment, and your need to interject, I would believe that you would be that individual (or maybe even a group?).

Frankly, I prefer Celia.

Sincerely,
Double-J

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: long_lost_corleone] #382501
04/06/07 03:39 PM
04/06/07 03:39 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Regards,
Double-J

The very implication that his plan of action on the environment is better than Gore's is blasphemous in itself. Gore isn't the best at following his words, but Bush isn't much better. In fact, he's much worse.

It's the lesser of two evils; Gore is a well-informed idiot, and Bush is just an idiot.

Once again, I'm left at a loss as to where you keep finding this implication which, to my knowledge, remains completely nonexistent.

Best,
Double-J

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382524
04/06/07 04:08 PM
04/06/07 04:08 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou

Describe my holes then.

And provide citations.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Saladbar] #382539
04/06/07 04:29 PM
04/06/07 04:29 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I have no need to interject.

But do anyway.

Who originally wrote what you regurgitated in the thread-starter?

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Saladbar] #382552
04/06/07 05:43 PM
04/06/07 05:43 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Describe my holes then.

And provide citations.

From Cambridge Uni.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #382553
04/06/07 05:44 PM
04/06/07 05:44 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Who originally wrote what you regurgitated in the thread-starter?

Saw it on Snopes.

Re: See if you can tell... [Re: Double-J] #382555
04/06/07 06:16 PM
04/06/07 06:16 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Ah yes, that well-known academic source; a cousin, in fact, of Wikipedia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull