GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Beth E] #389726
05/01/07 09:55 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Beth E
The line "You think that could have fooled a Corleone" makes me curious. It obviously fooled Sonny, because he fell for it. Is Michael implying he thinks he's smarter then Sonny because he figured it out and he didn't.

Not really, Beth. Vito wasn't fooled by Csrlo and told Tom to make sure he never got anything important within the family. Sonny never gave him anything important and mocked him at the dinner table and was admonished by his mother not to interfere. He also beat the crap out of Carlo when he found her all bruised, and told Carlo he would kill him if he ever touched his sister again.

What Michael was saying that the little farce he played with his sister couldn't fool a Corleone, and it didn't. Sonny's only mistake was to lose his temper and go off half cocked once he learned Carlo had touched his sister again.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Beth E] #389727
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Interesting point! But I think Michael was just trying to get Carlo to cut the BS and make his confession, as if to say, "It's all over now." I doubt Michael was thinking about Sonny then.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Turnbull] #389744
05/01/07 11:31 AM
05/01/07 11:31 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
GOOD POINT TB! To add... Michael wanted to put into Carlo's mind that Michael was offended by Carlo trying to fool him. Therefore, psychologically, Carlo believes that he must go ahead and confess (what Mike already knows) or his fate will be worse.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: FrankWhite] #390562
05/03/07 11:16 PM
05/03/07 11:16 PM
pgh., pa
Guiseppe Petri Offline
. 45 caliber
Guiseppe Petri  Offline
. 45 caliber
Made Member
pgh., pa
Sonny probably never let the thought of a set up enter his mind after he got a call from Connie. His temper took over all normal thought process and all he had on his mind was taking care of Carlo. It was more anger clouding Sonny's thinking than anything else. If he hadn't been hot tempered, he may have seen the set-up all along, had the novel allowed it.
Barzini knew Sonny would be a threat but never thought that Mike would be because up to the point where Mike comes back from Sicily, he's not involved in the business. Only Sonny and Fredo - " well to a point where Vito let him be involved because Fredo, well Fredo you know."
Mike probably knew that Vito did not want Carlo involved in the family business, I know its not in the movie, but like some of the plot dead spots we assume that certain things were filled in due to the movie progression. Mike knew at the meeting where we first see Neri as Mike's enforcer. When Tessio and Clemenza asking for their own families, when Mike told Carlo that Carlo would be his right hand man in Vegas, he already had Carlo lined up to get whacked. He was setting Carlo up, he already had his demise set up, just had to pick the right time.
He was still waiting to see who else would betray him. As Tom asked Mike right before this scene ended, Tom asked Mike - Why am I out, why does Neri report directly to you, he asks about Rocco building a secret regime. Mike asks him how he knows this. Tom says that some of his men are to good for their job, that they are getting more than the jobs worth.
Keep in mind, this is the first scene after Mike talks to Kay and Mike tells Kay that he has been back for more than a year. So there in theory, there is a year missing from the movie that Mike has been in charge of the family and been plotting and planning making decisions.
Mike had to let the pieces fall into place between this point and the move to Nevada. I believe then and I belive that now that Mike knew Clemenza would not betray the family.

Guiseppe Petri
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Turnbull] #390617
05/04/07 07:44 AM
05/04/07 07:44 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
But I think Michael was just trying to get Carlo to cut the BS and make his confession, as if to say, "It's all over now."

I always got the impression, from that scene, that although Michael knew that Carlo had set up Sonny, he wasn't 100% sure. It was almost as though Michael wanted to HEAR Carlo say that he did it to be 100% sure that he was doing the right thing by killing Carlo. That his suspicions were now 100% confirmed.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Don Cardi] #390674
05/04/07 11:54 AM
05/04/07 11:54 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Who else was in the room when Carlo confessed?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: dontomasso] #390736
05/04/07 02:05 PM
05/04/07 02:05 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Weren't Neri, Rocco and Tom present?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Don Cardi] #390737
05/04/07 02:08 PM
05/04/07 02:08 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Weren't Neri, Rocco and Tom present?

Yes, I think so, and I think it was a way Michael could sheild himself for killing his brother in law....he had all those witnesses to the confession. I think this plays in the novel where Tom and Kay talk about Michael's business.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: dontomasso] #390739
05/04/07 02:24 PM
05/04/07 02:24 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
You've confused me here Don T. How would Carlo's confessing in front of the others shield Michael?

Don Cardi cool

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Don Cardi] #390741
05/04/07 02:37 PM
05/04/07 02:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Shield is probably the wrong word. Michael knew there would be blowback from Connie, possibly Kay and possibly Mamma Corleone for killing a family member. While Connie and Kay openly brought it up, Mamma never would have, however with all of those people being privy to Carlo's confession they were all in a position to say that they knew for sure Carlo was the one who set Sonny up for death.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: dontomasso] #390743
05/04/07 02:43 PM
05/04/07 02:43 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Hmmmm. I don't know about that Don T. I just cannot see Connie and Kay confronting Michael and then Michael having Neri and Rocco confirm to them that Carlo confessed to setting up Sonny. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Don Cardi] #391248
05/07/07 10:24 AM
05/07/07 10:24 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
But I think Michael was just trying to get Carlo to cut the BS and make his confession, as if to say, "It's all over now."

I always got the impression, from that scene, that although Michael knew that Carlo had set up Sonny, he wasn't 100% sure. It was almost as though Michael wanted to HEAR Carlo say that he did it to be 100% sure that he was doing the right thing by killing Carlo. That his suspicions were now 100% confirmed.

Well, while I agree with you, that Micheal wanted to HEAR Carlo say that he did it, I don't believe it was "to be 100% sure that he was doing the right thing by killing Carlo". I believe his assessment was enough for that. I believe that Michael just wanted to feed his ego.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: FrankWhite] #391312
05/07/07 01:33 PM
05/07/07 01:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The novel says that the others in the room were "astonished" that Michael asked Carlo about his guilt when it was plain that Carlo was guilty. Puzo wrote that they thought this proved that Michael was "not yet the man his father was."
I had another view: Michael, by making Carlo confess and giving him a phony reason for hope, may simultaneously have been trying to prove a point to Tom, etc., that he could be quietly forceful (as well as ordering violence), and be avoiding a possibly messy scene in the Mall (where his wife sleeps, where his children play with their toys) by conning Carlo peacefully into the car to be garrotted.

Last edited by Turnbull; 05/07/07 01:34 PM.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Don Cardi] #391424
05/07/07 07:54 PM
05/07/07 07:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Michael's conversation with Carlo is reminiscent of Vito's with Bonasera. In both cases, the outcome could have more easily been yes or no. But Vito was a master at busting chops in a polite seemingly benign way. Michael had that trait also. He didn't have to get Carlo to confess - his mind was already made up. But it was just part of his personaiity to do so. Just like in the novel when he puts Jules through his paces when Jules tryies to tell Michael that there could be no strings attached. Michael tells him that his string is friendship and Jules can refuse it if he wants to. That wasn't necessary, but Michael seems to revel in tormenting people to some extent.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: olivant] #391546
05/08/07 10:37 AM
05/08/07 10:37 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Michael's conversation with Carlo is reminiscent of Vito's with Bonasera. In both cases, the outcome could have more easily been yes or no. But Vito was a master at busting chops in a polite seemingly benign way. Michael had that trait also. He didn't have to get Carlo to confess - his mind was already made up. But it was just part of his personaiity to do so. Just like in the novel when he puts Jules through his paces when Jules tryies to tell Michael that there could be no strings attached. Michael tells him that his string is friendship and Jules can refuse it if he wants to. That wasn't necessary, but Michael seems to revel in tormenting people to some extent.

Apt analogy in both cases. \:\) Contrast Jules' reaction (embarrassed, grateful) with Moe Green's ("f**k off"). And contrast the results.

By the same token, contrast Bonasera's reaction (acceptance) with Woltz's reaction to Vito's offer of friendship (rejection)--and the results.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Turnbull] #413309
07/10/07 12:47 PM
07/10/07 12:47 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
I hate to resurrect this, after all the great responses. They all make sense, so I hate to beat a dead horse, but...

I was watching this again on Bravo last night, and a thought occurred to me. I remember watching Mystic River, and Sean Penn's character was trying to make the Tim Robbins character "admit what he did," and Penn would allow Robbins to live. Robbins, after seeing that "the truth" wasn't going to cut any mustard, admitted to what he didn't do, hoping for the chance to live.

Is it possible that Carlo was doing the same thing?

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: wtwt5237] #413326
07/10/07 01:05 PM
07/10/07 01:05 PM
90caliber Offline
Made Member
90caliber  Offline
Made Member
 Originally Posted By: wtwt5237
You remember that Connie received a phone call. That was set up in advance. Then Carlo would beat Connie, who would seek help from her brother. Then the car coming to Connie's was surely Sonny's car!
This is what I think.

Exactly. The pre-arranged phone call is the key move for setting the hit in motion.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Turnbull] #413328
07/10/07 01:08 PM
07/10/07 01:08 PM
90caliber Offline
Made Member
90caliber  Offline
Made Member
The novel says that the others in the room were "astonished" that Michael asked Carlo about his guilt when it was plain that Carlo was guilty. Puzo wrote that they thought this proved that Michael was "not yet the man his father was."
I had another view: Michael, by making Carlo confess and giving him a phony reason for hope, may simultaneously have been trying to prove a point to Tom, etc., that he could be quietly forceful (as well as ordering violence), and be avoiding a possibly messy scene in the Mall (where his wife sleeps, where his children play with their toys) by conning Carlo peacefully into the car to be garrotted.

But the novel is also very clear about why Michael wanted an explicit confession from Carlo:

"Michael was still not confident of his right, still feared being unjust, still worried about the fraction of an uncertainty that only a confession by Carlo Rizzi could erase" (p. 436).

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: 90caliber] #413330
07/10/07 01:09 PM
07/10/07 01:09 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
True, I have no doubt whatsoever that Santino's enemies would set up a hit this way. They were counting on Carlo to lose his temper and beat the crap out of Connie.

But isn't it possible that the organization of the hit was done without Carlo being willingly involved?

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Buttmunker] #413332
07/10/07 01:12 PM
07/10/07 01:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
True, I have no doubt whatsoever that Santino's enemies would set up a hit this way. They were counting on Carlo to lose his temper and beat the crap out of Connie.

But isn't it possible that the organization of the hit was done without Carlo being willingly involved?

I doubt it. He admitted to his role, so it's really a moot point, anyway.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Buttmunker] #413336
07/10/07 01:15 PM
07/10/07 01:15 PM
90caliber Offline
Made Member
90caliber  Offline
Made Member

No, it's not at all possible. As was posted earlier, Carlo openly admits that Barzini approached him to set up the hit on Sonny:

Michael: Now who approached you, Tattaglia or Barzini?

Carlo: It was Barzini.

It doesn't get any clearer than that.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Buttmunker] #413378
07/10/07 02:02 PM
07/10/07 02:02 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA

Even granting your theory that Carlo's confession may be a falsehood brought on in a desperate attempt to save his life I don't think it's possible that Carlo wasn't involved.

First of all, how would Barzini's people have such detailed knowledge of Carlo's domestic issues without Carlo providing that information?

Also, the way the hit was set up needed Carlo's involvment. I guess they could have had a random woman call and cancel a non-existant appointment with Carlo, but Carlo really was going out, and leaving right after he told Connie to make him dinner.

This behavior shows that Carlo was involved.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: The Last Woltz] #413425
07/10/07 03:09 PM
07/10/07 03:09 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Yep i also agree that Carlo was involved.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Zaf-the-don] #413435
07/10/07 03:27 PM
07/10/07 03:27 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
Guess I'll make a weak Don, then. I'm a sucker for the pleading and swearing on my children comments.

See, when Vito Corleone says "I swear...on the souls of my grandchildren...that I will not be the one to break the peace we've made here today..."

See-now, one man says it, and you can believe him when he says it. Another man...pah.

I'll take your word on it. Or better yet, Puzo's. Then again, we all know that the books and the films are two different animals...STOP! *slaps self*

Carlo is guilty. Okay.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Buttmunker] #413453
07/10/07 04:34 PM
07/10/07 04:34 PM
90caliber Offline
Made Member
90caliber  Offline
Made Member
Guess I'll make a weak Don, then. I'm a sucker for the pleading and swearing on my children comments.

See, when Vito Corleone says "I swear...on the souls of my grandchildren...that I will not be the one to break the peace we've made here today..."

See-now, one man says it, and you can believe him when he says it. Another man...pah.

I'll take your word on it. Or better yet, Puzo's. Then again, we all know that the books and the films are two different animals...STOP! *slaps self*

Carlo is guilty. Okay.

While I'll never believe that Carlo was not part of the plot, I do appreciate the logic of your reference to Vito's promise. However, to this I would point out the following: the Turk says to Michael in the car, after Michael says he doesn't want his father bothered anymore, that "I swear on my children he won't be." This was a lie, and in the restaurant the Turk admits as much: Michael says he wants a guarantee that there will be no more attempts on his father's life, and the Turks responds, "What guarantees can I give you, Mike?" (In the novel, if I remember correctly, Puzo writes that at that point Michael knew for sure that with this little meeting Sollozzo was just trying to buy time, and that he would try to make another attempt to kill Vito.)

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Buttmunker] #414175
07/12/07 12:48 PM
07/12/07 12:48 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
I hate to resurrect this, after all the great responses. They all make sense, so I hate to beat a dead horse, but...

I was watching this again on Bravo last night, and a thought occurred to me. I remember watching Mystic River, and Sean Penn's character was trying to make the Tim Robbins character "admit what he did," and Penn would allow Robbins to live. Robbins, after seeing that "the truth" wasn't going to cut any mustard, admitted to what he didn't do, hoping for the chance to live.

Is it possible that Carlo was doing the same thing?

Wow... yeah I remember that movie....

I gotta tell ya though... I thought that Robbins was just flippin' nuts at that point... he may have believed he didnt.. who knows....

as for Carlo... he could have easily said... "no one approached me... I didnt do it..."... INSTEAD... he looks around at the other guys in the room (as to say... ok here it comes).... it was Barzini.... "Hello Carlo"... there goes a perfectly good windshield

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: ScarFather] #414178
07/12/07 12:56 PM
07/12/07 12:56 PM
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
Mike scared Carlo into submitting.

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Zaf-the-don] #414226
07/12/07 02:04 PM
07/12/07 02:04 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
I want to know HOW IN THE WORLD did Carlo think he was gonna live "there is a plane waiting for you"... "I bought you a ticket even though you set up Sonny to be killed"

I laugh my ass off when I see him get in the car and Clemenza says "hello carlo"

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: ScarFather] #414258
07/12/07 03:09 PM
07/12/07 03:09 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
False hope, cunning on Michael's part, that's how.

"Come on. Don't be afraid, Carlo -- Come on, you think I'd make my sister a widow? I'm Godfather to your son, Carlo --No -- Carlo -- you're out of the Family business, that's your punishment. You're finished. I'm putting you on a plane to Vegas -- "
And he even goes as far as presenting a plane ticket to him.

Cool, cunning and calculative Michael at his best.

Don Cardi cool

Re: "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo" [Re: Don Cardi] #414264
07/12/07 03:18 PM
07/12/07 03:18 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
False hope, cunning on Michael's part, that's how.

"Come on. Don't be afraid, Carlo -- Come on, you think I'd make my sister a widow? I'm Godfather to your son, Carlo --No -- Carlo -- you're out of the Family business, that's your punishment. You're finished. I'm putting you on a plane to Vegas -- "
And he even goes as far as presenting a plane ticket to him.

Cool, cunning and calculative Michael at his best.

Yeah... I was almost complimenting Michael's cunning more than questioning it.... MC at his best

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull