GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 265 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,068
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,368
Posts1,059,476
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 #376569
03/17/07 09:04 PM
03/17/07 09:04 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

http://wii.ign.com/articles/773/773509p1.html

---

I'll be picking this game up sometime this week, and I'll let you know what I think.

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #376595
03/17/07 10:56 PM
03/17/07 10:56 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Is it different than the other GF game DJ?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Mignon] #376597
03/18/07 12:26 AM
03/18/07 12:26 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

It's the same core game, Miggy, but features new levels and goals, as well as the unique controls designed for the Wii. ;\)

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #376877
03/19/07 09:25 AM
03/19/07 09:25 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Hype for this game is really getting big, I can't wait to pick up a copy this week. ;\)

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #377297
03/20/07 01:12 PM
03/20/07 01:12 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Yahoo! Review

Overall Score
4 stars out of 5

Pros:
Great Wii-specific controls; Loads of new content; Same solid story

Cons:
Too many blank streets; Middling AI; Weak camera control

* Graphics 3 stars
* Sound 4 stars
* Gameplay 4 stars
* Story 4 stars
* Interface 4.5 stars
* Multiplayer 0 stars

Fantastic Wii-specific controls are the highlight of this best version of EA's gangland hit.
yahoo

By: Russ Fischer
Posted: 20 Mar 2007

It's about time we got a Wii-make that adds more than it takes away. Publishers have found it easy to add a few motion controls and new levels to existing games as a means of filling the first-generation Wii software drought, but most of the efforts have been less than inspired. The Blackhand Edition of EA's popular The Godfather bucks the trend, however, by adding excellent controls and enough new content to make it the best version of the game available.

The core gameplay hasn't changed at all since we saw it on the Xbox and PS2. The Godfather is still a GTA-style meander through the periphery of Puzo and Coppola's story, with voice acting both lifted from the films and created anew, plus a lot of cutscenes and enough strong-arm and diplomatic free-form content to keep you busy for a while.

Actually, it's not quite true that the game is the same; it's been greatly expanded. There are 30 new missions, basically doubling the game's content, as well as new hits, favors, weapons, cars, tactics and more. And EA has done a great job integrating it. If you haven't played the game before, none of the new material glaringly stands out as after the fact.

More importantly, this is one of the best ways we've seen to integrate motion sensing controls into a familiar game. You'll press a button on the nunchuck to target an enemy; hold it and press the remote's trigger to grab. From there you can swing one controller forward or sideways to throw a punch, or move both in tandem to bodily slam the guy into a wall or automobile. Twitch the two controllers in the same direction and release the held buttons to perform a throw.

The action is all effortless, and you'll probably be performing 'advanced' moves long before the game provides instructions on how to do so. The system is that easy and intuitive. We ended up using a better array of varied tactics over the course of the game, since it was more fun to do so than before; slamming a guy into the wall with a little flick (it really doesn't take much movement) was a lot more entertaining than more button mashing.

It works during gunplay, too. The same lock-on control used in melee works to target a foe, which paints him on the chest with a reticule. Use the remote to aim at other body parts for location-specific damage. Chances are, if you've already played the game on the PS2 or Xbox, you'll end up getting a lot more bonuses for kneecap and headshot kills, not because they're easier, but because the aiming system feels natural. Flicking the d-pad activates the free-aim mode, which is far more usable than before.

Of all the new controls, the only thing we don't like is using the remote's d-pad to control the camera. Most of the time it's not necessary, which is great, as the smart camera points the right direction far more often than not. But the d-pad simply isn't in an optimal position to handle something as touchy and (occasionally) crucial as the camera.

One interesting thing about The Blackhand Edition is that it's been rated Teen for the family-friendly Wii rather than Mature as it was on the other consoles, but it doesn't feel noticeably watered down. There's still some foul language -- enough to set the scene and probably more than appeared in the Godfather films -- and the brutality of some missions is untouched. Or maybe the ESRB just went easy on EA. Regardless, you shouldn't be put off by the rating.

What hasn't been changed is the presentation, which feels more and more behind the times. Not necessarily because of the Wii's graininess in comparison to other new systems, but because this New York is filled with far more black facades than it is working buildings and businesses. Prepare to spend real time learning to navigate Little Italy and, for that matter, the rest of the city, as every street in each neighborhood looks pretty much the same. We relied on the mini-map to get around here far more than in most GTA clones.

We haven't been bowled over by most of the Wii-makes hitting shelves so far, but The Godfather is a definite exception. The controls and extra content more than make up for the fact that the game already looks visually dated. If you haven't dipped into the Corleone lifestyle yet, this is the best place to start, and obsessed fans who owned the game on another console will find the new material justifies a trip back to old New York.

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #377459
03/20/07 07:07 PM
03/20/07 07:07 PM
insomniac Offline
On the hunt
insomniac  Offline
On the hunt
Made Member
I havent even played a wii yet.Is it worth getting as in comparison to a 360 or ps3?

You walkin out on me!!You dont walk out on me..i walk out on you!!!
Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: insomniac] #377743
03/21/07 08:30 AM
03/21/07 08:30 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

That's what all the reviews are saying - Godfather Wii is the definitive version, because of the controls and how well they work. It beats out all the other version, even those with superior graphics. ;\)

Again, I'm picking this up sometime Friday afternoon, so I'll give it a whirl and let you guys know what I think this weekend.

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #378635
03/24/07 09:16 AM
03/24/07 09:16 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Double-J Reviews The Godfather (Wii)

So, the Wii doesn't have enough third party titles for you? What the fuck is your problem? Happy Feet and Avatar the Last Assbender haven't been satisfying you?

Don't feel bad, you aren't alone. However, despite an already growing history of crappy ports and retreads, the Wii has been graced by a few noticeable third party titles, and (shockingly) they all come from Electronic Arts, the epitome of developer laziness (read: Madden '07 for the PS2 is '06 with a roster update!). However, beginning with Madden '07 (Wii), Tiger Woods '07 (Wii), and now The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, EA has actually set the bar extremely high for third-party developers, and gamers are letting it be known that crappy ports (read: Ubisoft's Splinter Cell: Double Agent) will not be tolerated on this console.

So, without further ado, we walk into the world of Don Corleone, on the Wii.

---

Without a doubt, this is my favorite Wii game. I don't know if its my fondness for The Godfather movies, or whether I just haven't had a GTA fix in awhile, but this is officially my new best friend. Yes, Twilight Princess, you've got to step down. Because unlike Twilight Princess, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition finally edges closer to the 1:1 realism we've been awaiting on the Wii. Smash your hands with the controllers overhead, and you will smash the guy on-screen. Swipe a baseball bat ala Barry Bonds, and you'll punt that gavone across the room. And yes, the motions do correspond - so a swipe is a swipe, a chop is a chop. Everything is extremely intuitive; point in fact, I was kicking ass in The Godfather with the motion controls before I read the instructions or tutorials. Without a doubt, the gameplay rocks. The precision aiming system is great - fire a shot pinpointed at the guys arm, he loses his gun. Fire one through the kneecap, he's begging for mercy. Then plug him in the back of the head, and his brains (but not his signature) will be all over the wall.

The biggest flaw I've found is some of the shooting controls, not because they are hard, but because I think the locations of certain buttons could've been better. The d-pad camera is okay, but not great.

Graphics wise, I must be missing the stuff people are criticizing. I think the game, its textures, smoke and lighting effects, all look really good (then again, I thought Super Mario World looked good by today's standards too). One thing is that while there are a plethora of shops and locales to explore, much of New York can also be generic, as GTA fans can attest. Buildings you can't explore. Poo. But the ones you can are done very well.

I like the addition of the Enforcer and Operator skill trees. Now you can either be the Sonny Corleone of the mob world, kicking ass and taking questions (and squibs) later, or like Tom Hagen, maneuvering behind the scenes, collecting the paychecks, and letting others do your dirty work for you. I've tried to find a happy medium somewhere in between.

Sound wise, they did a very good job of recapturing 1940's New York, as the game is really authentic. The soundtrack, while repetitive, comes from the Nino Rota Godfather library or something, because it has alternate cuts and such. Good stuff all around. My biggest problem is some of the voice acting...I'm not sure how many actors reprised their roles...I was told Marlon Brando, James Caan, and Robert Duvall all did. But it sure doesn't sound like it. Don Corleone sounds like someone with a cleft lip, and is overexaggerated. I know Brando was having difficulty health-wise so I wouldn't be surprised if they got a sound-alike, but damn, I sound better as Brando circa 35 years ago than whoever the hell this is now. Sonny sounds fairly accurate, as does Clemenza. I think Abe Vigoda must've done Tessio, because it is spot on. The best overall has to go to the Tom Hagen guy, it sounds just like (and probably is) Robert Duvall.

Double-J's Individual Ratings
Graphics: 3.5 out of 5
Gameplay: 5 out of 5
Presentation (Sound, Music, etc.): 4 out of 5
Controls: 4.5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5 (not an average)

Pros:
- Wii controls make this game intuitive and extremely fun to play
- Storyline and missions have been added on the Wii edition
- Skill tree and RPG elements make for a deeper game

Cons:
- NYC looks great, but more depth would be nice...GF II maybe?
- Some of the character voices leave a bit to be desired
- Graphics are good, not great.

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #378660
03/24/07 12:14 PM
03/24/07 12:14 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Great review, DJ! I'm not sure the extra controls and what not would justify a double-dip purchase for me once I get the Wii...but I'd definitely rent it to check it out.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: XDCX] #378919
03/25/07 04:02 PM
03/25/07 04:02 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Thanks XDCX! One of the reasons I hesitated on The Godfather for previous consoles was because I knew EA had an agreement with Nintendo for serious 3rd-party support, so I was one of few who are playing it for the first time.

Re: Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii): 8.0/10.0 [Re: Double-J] #397724
06/03/07 08:38 PM
06/03/07 08:38 PM
Texas
Mr. Bobby Fontaine Offline
Wiseguy
Mr. Bobby Fontaine  Offline
Wiseguy
Texas
Great review DJ, thanks a million! I'll probably be springing for the Wii before Christmas--the kids really, really want to move up from the Gamecube we've been playing for six or seven years now...

On another note, Brando wasn't ill when this game was first produced for PS2/PSP/X-Box/PC: he was dead, dude. Those are either "old" clips from the films, or a soundalike. I know Jimmy Caan and Robert Duvall signed on to do the first wave of games for EA (and Pacino did not); not sure, but I think the great Abe Vigoda is passed on, as well.

"Only a fool would say that."
--Steely Dan

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull