GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ben54), 64 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,684
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
what set to buy? #26899
09/22/03 11:12 PM
09/22/03 11:12 PM
Austin, Texas
jay Offline OP
Made Member
jay  Offline OP
Made Member
Austin, Texas
if i'm going to buy the godfather on dvd or vhs for that matter....which set would you guys reccomend. there seems to be so many.....the trilogy for one, and then there's some others i had a choice of buying. which one gives you the most film and bonus length in it. i read on one thread about fanucci's attack....and i'm like....i never saw that! so i'm intrigued to buy it.

if wishes were horses, beggars would ride
Re: what set to buy? #26900
09/22/03 11:42 PM
09/22/03 11:42 PM
Vancouver, BC
wj 737 200 Offline
Wiseguy
wj 737 200  Offline
Wiseguy
Vancouver, BC
I personally would go for the dvd set with the bonus disk. The quality in sound and picture is at it's best. The widescreen is also nice. But the vhs is still okay if you don't have enough money, who cares vhs, dvd just get one........it's the godfather grin tongue

Your enemies always get strong on what you leave behind.
Re: what set to buy? #26901
09/23/03 01:48 AM
09/23/03 01:48 AM
United States of America
PappaGiorgio Offline
Underboss
PappaGiorgio  Offline
Underboss
United States of America
Buy both grin Just in case the DVD gets rot. rolleyes

There's only one thing I hate in this world, and it's liars.
Re: what set to buy? #26902
09/23/03 03:18 PM
09/23/03 03:18 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
[Linked Image]

buy this one, dude! Definitely!

Re: what set to buy? #26903
09/24/03 04:49 AM
09/24/03 04:49 AM
Austin, Texas
jay Offline OP
Made Member
jay  Offline OP
Made Member
Austin, Texas
money's not an issue here. so my basic choices are
1. the godfather epic
2. the godfather trilogy
3. the godfather dvd collection

seems like all have extended scenes and so on. i am guessing the trilogy and the dvd collection are very similar. from what you guys have said, the dvd collection probably has more extra movie length in the bonus cd than does the trilogy right? also, does the trilogy incorporate the extra length into the movie, whereas the dvd collection simply put any extra footage on the bonus disc or what?
i looked at a website and it seems that the dvd collection has TONS of extra stuff in the bonus disc. seems like the bonus disc contains extra footage, and a making of the godfather movie, and other cool stuff. can you all tell me what's on each in comparison to the other. i just want to buy the best one....though i don't really care if its dvd or vhs (i guess dvd preferrably)....i do care about WHAT is on it. thanks for your help guys. the option of buying two of these (example the trilogy and dvd collection) is pushing it a bit, though.

Re: what set to buy? #26904
09/24/03 05:53 AM
09/24/03 05:53 AM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
everything ORIGINAL that is on this planet from the Godfather, is on the DVD box, the only 'but' is, that the extra scenes are apart from the movies, on the bonus disc (as you found out already). some of them are quite good and add a lot the movie for us 'fans', but you can't see them in order with the rest of the movie.

So if you want to see a four-hour all-in version of the first Godfather, don't expect to see it with the DVD box. as for anything else, the DVD box has all you can ask for.

I believe one of those two VHS-sets you mentioned has the entire franchise in chronological order (starting 1901 instead of Bonasera's "I believe in America"). can be nice for a change, but remember the original movies (the second especially) was intended to be a two-story-cross-cut-masterpiece.

Re: what set to buy? #26905
09/26/03 06:00 AM
09/26/03 06:00 AM
Austin, Texas
jay Offline OP
Made Member
jay  Offline OP
Made Member
Austin, Texas
so what i am lead to believe here....along with other extra material.....the godfather dvd collection has all the "extra" or "extended" scenes that were in the trilogy and epic or saga or whatever else. so if i see the dvd bonus cd....i would have seen all the extras...there would be NO bonus scenes from the trilogy or epic that i haven't seen right?
if that were the case....why wouldn't you buy the dvd. if it has EVER EXTRA SCENE and more...why would you buy anything else.

Re: what set to buy? #26906
09/26/03 07:31 AM
09/26/03 07:31 AM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
For nostalgian sake...??? tongue

Re: what set to buy? #26907
09/26/03 01:12 PM
09/26/03 01:12 PM
New York
Kevin Rooney Offline
Wiseguy
Kevin Rooney  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
I appreciate the nostalgic or sentimental value of VHS, and the preference for chronology. But the simple fact of the matter is that VHS is ultimately goung the way of vinyl records and 8-track tapes. Movies are starting to be released on DVD only, and rental stores are not replacing VHS tapes that broke or get lost. Also, DVD has superior sound as well as picture quality. I just hooked up a 5-speaker dolby system, and the seperated, surround sound is awesome. It really is like having a theater in your house. Of course, GF is the first DVD I watched on it. You can't get features like that on VHS, or the documentaries. As a fellow GF fan. My advice to you is to get the DVD's. They will last you for years to come. VHS is on the way out.

"Keep your friends close, your enemies-closer" - Michael Corleone, quoting Don Vito.
"You're a smart lawyer, very smart-but don't get smart with me!" -Rocky Sullivan (Cagney) to Frazier (Bogart) in Angels with Dirty Faces
Re: what set to buy? #26908
09/26/03 04:48 PM
09/26/03 04:48 PM
Austin, Texas
jay Offline OP
Made Member
jay  Offline OP
Made Member
Austin, Texas
yeah, it would seem vhs in on the way out. i'm one of those people who don't really care.....there's not enough of a differnece between a dvd and vhs to really care in my opinion (though most of my friend's would castrate me on the spot for such a comment). but then again....i don't really see to big a difference between an audio cassette and a cd as far as music goes either.
i don't care about the quality....my concern was over the delted scenes. especially since i looked at thegodfather.com site and it listed what's in the trilogy and dvd collection....and it said there were some extra scenes missing from the dvd.
also....i'm scared of dvd's though i have a few....because i'm always scared of them getting scratched.

Re: what set to buy? #26909
09/26/03 06:37 PM
09/26/03 06:37 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I used to have the trilogy on VHS, years ago. I lost it and have since wanted to replace it. (I do have it recorded on VHS from USA network though.)

I would REALLY prefer the trilogy version (original versions) on DVD. Does anyone know if this is available? I haven't checked recently...the last I checked into it, you had to buy the chronological version on DVD (and not the trilogy version, which I prefer.).

Re: what set to buy? #26910
09/29/03 06:53 PM
09/29/03 06:53 PM
New York
Kevin Rooney Offline
Wiseguy
Kevin Rooney  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
Jay-the scenes noted as missing on Geoff's site actually ARE on the DVD, so you're not missing anything. He runs a HELL of a site, and it does say maybe he didn't notice them, so kudos to him. I just didn't want your choice to be misguided by that information. FYI, I hear audio cassette tapes are being phased out, too. Fewer new releases are available on it. And Angela Marie, the DVD's ARE trilogy version, not chronological. GF's I,II, and III are seperate movies, as they appeared in theaters. This is why the extra footage is on the bonus disc. The extra scenes by the way are very well explained before you see them. Telling you where it was or would have been, and it's relevance and context in the film

"Keep your friends close, your enemies-closer" - Michael Corleone, quoting Don Vito.
"You're a smart lawyer, very smart-but don't get smart with me!" -Rocky Sullivan (Cagney) to Frazier (Bogart) in Angels with Dirty Faces
Re: what set to buy? #26911
09/29/03 10:03 PM
09/29/03 10:03 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I'm gonna save Turnbull another explanation (not that he ever complains). I asked him about this a few months ago and saved his description of the various GF videos/DVD. I went with the DVD and love it. I still would like to get 1 & 11 in chronological order as well, but the DVD is probably the one that has the most material. smile
======================

Here are your choices:

GF on DVD is available only as a boxed set. This includes GF, II and III in theatrical release form, plus an extras disc that contains mucho additional stuff: "making-of," trailers, commentary, deleted scenes as stand-alones, interviews, etc. The boxed set is worth it just for the extras disc alone.
If you want GF and II in chronological order with deleted scenes included, you have two choices:
--Either buy "The Godfather Saga" (3 VHS tapes) from Amazon (if they still have it, or they can get it for you used). This is chronological, with about half the deleted scenes included.
--Wait for the Trilogy to appear on cable TV. This will have everyting in chrono order, with all the deleted scenes. It's the best version to have. Problem is, you have to babysit your VCR to edit out the commercials and make sure you keep loading enough videotape.

Hope you don't mind TB? ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: what set to buy? #26912
09/30/03 05:07 AM
09/30/03 05:07 AM
Austin, Texas
jay Offline OP
Made Member
jay  Offline OP
Made Member
Austin, Texas
thanks mr. rooney....very helpful. i thought scenes were missing...now that i know all the bonus material scenes are there i'll get the dvd. hey....tis.....do you remember that conversatoin you had with someone about eggs or easter eggs or something being on dvd's.....can you tell me what it was and what that site was....you know the extra material on the dvd's? thanks

Re: what set to buy? #26913
10/03/03 07:58 PM
10/03/03 07:58 PM
Texas
DonTeflon Offline
Wiseguy
DonTeflon  Offline
Wiseguy
Texas
Here are some of the Easter Eggs on the Godfather Collection DVD's.

Many Eggs
Mario Puzo Speaks

"The best way to change someone's mind is with a machete"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull