GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 215 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,049
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
'Sopranos' iced in Jersey #373727
03/09/07 05:45 PM
03/09/07 05:45 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline OP
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline OP
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
From today's NY Daily News:

'Sopranos' iced in Jersey

BY JANE RIDLEY
Daily News Staff Writer

Shoot the final episode of "The Sopranos" in Bloomfield? Fuhgeddaboudit!

The mayor of the New Jersey town has whacked a plan to allow producers onto his turf, claiming HBO's hit show about violent mobsters reinforces negative stereotypes of Italian-Americans.

Now the owners of Holsten's Brookdale Confectionery, the ice-cream parlor selected for the series' last scene, want the mayor and other council members to rethink their decision not to issue a film permit.

They've already brought in the big guys, including Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo, a fan of "The Sopranos," which resumes its sixth and final season on April 8.

"Nobody is more proud to be an Italian-American than I am," said DiVincenzo, who made a personal visit to the store on Wednesday to show his support. "I'm not offended by the show at all."

But Bloomfield Mayor Raymond McCarthy says he will vote against the permit again when it is considered for a third time next week.

"I don't think 'The Sopranos' depicts the life of a typical Italian-American in a positive way and I still don't like the way people see New Jersey based upon 'The Sopranos' series," he said.

The ban has divided the town.

"'The Sopranos' has been a series that depicts Italian-Americans in the worst light," said resident Emanuale Alfano, who leads the Italian-American One Voice coalition.

But council member Peggy O'Boyle Dunigan said, "If you don't like the show, you can turn it off."

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Signor Vitelli] #373733
03/09/07 06:48 PM
03/09/07 06:48 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The mayor's decision was overturned today.

The City's Attorney will allow "The Sopranos" to film its final scene in the city (in an ice cream parlor).

Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Signor Vitelli] #373734
03/09/07 06:50 PM
03/09/07 06:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Personally, I think that these Italian people who get offended by the show and claim that it portrays a negative stereotype of Italians are being ridiculous. They must be insecure people.

Of course not all Italian people act that way. Any logical person knows that. But growing up in the neighborhood that I grew up in, I can tell you that there were some mob guys who acted the same way that some of these Soprano characters do.

It's comedy for God's sake. These people need to find more important things to squawk about.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Don Cardi] #373740
03/09/07 07:23 PM
03/09/07 07:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I'm with DC on this.

I detest the stereotype, but I can hardly argue the fact that a small percentage of Italian-Americans behave as they're depicted on tv and in the movies. As long as it's portrayed in an artful manner and not over the top or cartoonish, I have no problem with it.

I've been a member of OSIA (The Order Of Sons Of Italy In America) since I was in my early 20's and I've banged heads with some of the older members on this issue on numerous occasions.

Honestly, I'm alot more offended by Olive Garden commerials, where everyone still speaks in broken English, even though our people, for the most part, have been in this country since the turn of the 20th century.

Do you remember the Ragu commercials of a few years ago ? All of the Italian women were garbed in black, they all had big noses and they were shown dancing in a poppy field, like peasants. That was despicable and instances such as that are where we should focus our attention as proud Italian-Americans.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: pizzaboy] #373785
03/09/07 09:36 PM
03/09/07 09:36 PM
Kentucky
Mr.MojoRisin Offline
Capo
Mr.MojoRisin  Offline
Capo
Kentucky
It's not making a generalization of Italians as a whole though, it's only portraying a certian group. They've shown plenty of Italians on the show outside of the Mafia and portrayed them quite normally. I think the Sopranos is actually a very realistic portral of Mob life.

Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Mr.MojoRisin] #373798
03/09/07 09:53 PM
03/09/07 09:53 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That's exaactly how I feel. Dr. Melfi is educated and prim, as was her snooty ex husband. Dr. Cusimano was a yuppyish character as well, as were many others over the years.

Chase has shown us the entire spectrum of Italian-American life. The show happens to be about mob life, so we're gonna see some mobsters. End of story.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Don Cardi] #373838
03/10/07 12:19 AM
03/10/07 12:19 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Personally, I think that these Italian people who get offended by the show and claim that it portrays a negative stereotype of Italians are being ridiculous. They must be insecure people.

Of course not all Italian people act that way. Any logical person knows that. But growing up in the neighborhood that I grew up in, I can tell you that there were some mob guys who acted the same way that some of these Soprano characters do.

It's comedy for God's sake. These people need to find more important things to squawk about.

Don Cardi

I agree. I get so pissed at people who think that way about Italians. I think they they should be beaten to death, their lifeless bodies cut up and stuffed in a 55 gallon drum and dumped in the ocean.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: olivant] #373885
03/10/07 05:32 AM
03/10/07 05:32 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
What a load of bullshit.

Entire episodes have been dedicated to the entire notion of the Mafia being held responsible for the representation of Italian-Americans. It's another self-conscious, on-running envelope in the show.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #373935
03/10/07 12:05 PM
03/10/07 12:05 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Some people aren't happy unless they are causing hate and discontent.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: 'Sopranos' iced in Jersey [Re: Signor Vitelli] #374753
03/12/07 11:46 AM
03/12/07 11:46 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

"I don't think 'The Sopranos' depicts the life of a typical Italian-American in a positive way and I still don't like the way people see New Jersey based upon 'The Sopranos' series," he said.

What a wank this guy is. I didn't realize Tony Soprano was a "typical Italian-American." I must be missing out on all the strip clubs, coke, million dollar houses, and of course, the sex.

I hate this politically correct tihsllub. It's retarded. I'm Italian, and I have no problem with The Godfather, or Goodfellas, or Mean Streets, or any other mob movies.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull