GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 73 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,824
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26712
08/23/03 11:40 PM
08/23/03 11:40 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
I know this is old stuff to most of you, but I am new at watching the DVD. ohwell

In the deleted scene where Fannucci is getting attacked by the thugs, does he realize it's Vito standing by holding the box of groceries? ohwell He looks in that direction, and Vito is intentionally holding the box to cover his face, but does Fannucci recognize him? The DVD said that was to be a scene prior to Vito Killing Fannucci. As he was staggering toward Vito's direction, I couldn't make out if he said his name.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26713
08/27/03 07:05 PM
08/27/03 07:05 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I would say that he doesn't recognise Fanucci, TIS. I think if he had, Fanucci would have kept a low key with regard to not wanting to humiliate himself in front of Vito. He probably was aware of somebody's presence there, but he was too concerned about blood on his suit to notice who Vito actually was.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26714
08/27/03 07:43 PM
08/27/03 07:43 PM
wilheim Offline
Made Member
wilheim  Offline
Made Member
I believe he was yelling for help in Italian. Pretty sure he did not see or recognize Vito.

wil.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26715
09/12/03 01:05 PM
09/12/03 01:05 PM
Maryland
Harry Offline
Made Member
Harry  Offline
Made Member
Maryland
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
In the deleted scene where Fannucci is getting attacked by the thugs, does he realize it's Vito standing by holding the box of groceries? ohwell He looks in that direction, and Vito is intentionally holding the box to cover his face, but does Fannucci recognize him? The DVD said that was to be a scene prior to Vito Killing Fannucci. As he was staggering toward Vito's direction, I couldn't make out if he said his name.

TIS
Hi TIS,

Good questions. I always saw this scene as how vulnerable Fannucci was and he was basically out there on his own with no back-up. Young Vito saw this as an opportunity with little risk or no risk

"I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a business man. Blood is a big expense".
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26716
09/12/03 10:45 PM
09/12/03 10:45 PM
IOWA!!!
Dead Ohio Sky Offline
Made Member
Dead Ohio Sky  Offline
Made Member
IOWA!!!
Yeah, that's when Vito realizes Fannuci is basically a fraud. A tough-talking hood with no men at his command, and little or no connection to the Black Hand, or any feared Costa nostra family at the time.

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26717
09/13/03 12:42 PM
09/13/03 12:42 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Originally posted by Dead Ohio Sky:
Yeah, that's when Vito realizes Fannuci is basically a fraud. A tough-talking hood with no men at his command, and little or no connection to the Black Hand, or any feared Costa nostra family at the time.
Thats the scene where he realised he could kill Fanuchi

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26718
09/13/03 10:58 PM
09/13/03 10:58 PM
IOWA!!!
Dead Ohio Sky Offline
Made Member
Dead Ohio Sky  Offline
Made Member
IOWA!!!
I know, but Vito wouldn't have tried to kill Fannicci if he really was connected to the Black Hand, or had a powerful Mafia ally like Maranzella.

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26719
09/17/03 10:20 AM
09/17/03 10:20 AM
The Hague, The Netherlands
CCDevlin Offline
Wiseguy
CCDevlin  Offline
Wiseguy
Im very sure Vito would kill fannucci wether he was connected to the black hand or not. I mean its not in the movie this scene, so if you only watch the final cut, then vito just simple decides to kill him. Also I'm not sure if fannucci is losing credit as a gangster when he is mugged by thugs. I mean, he seem's confident to take on those little punks and is playing with them almost. Then out of nowhere he gets cut.

I dont remember fannucci looking in his direction...perhaps a little down. To me it seemed like he did not see anyone there...i mean Vito is hiding and fannucci is running by screaming, so that would seem weird if he saw him all along.

Peace

CCDevlin

"I spent my life protecting my family!"
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26720
09/17/03 10:48 AM
09/17/03 10:48 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by CCDevlin:
Also I'm not sure if fannucci is losing credit as a gangster when he is mugged by thugs. I mean, he seem's confident to take on those little punks and is playing with them almost. Then out of nowhere he gets cut.

Fanucci lost face as a gangster in two ways: First, because he did not generate enough fear or force to discourage two kids from trying to kill him. Second, the novel notes that he killed one kid, but allowed the other kid's family to pay him a tribute to save their son's life. A real "man of respect" would have killed the kid no matter how much money was offered. As Vito said to Genco in the film, "In my town, if you attack a man, you better finish him off." What he meant was: if you let someone off the hook, he'll try to kill you later. That's why Vito later returned to Sicily to kill Don Ciccio, and why Michael was so ruthless with his enemies.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26721
09/17/03 11:13 AM
09/17/03 11:13 AM
CCDevlin Offline
Wiseguy
CCDevlin  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Fanucci lost face as a gangster in two ways: First, because he did not generate enough fear or force to discourage two kids from trying to kill him. Second, the novel notes that he killed one kid, but allowed the other kid's family to pay him a tribute to save their son's life. [/QB]
True Turnbull, but the scene left out of the film because why then? It was apearently not needed for us to think that Fannucci was less of a gangster. Vito saying that in his town you better kill some on off if you atack him is acording to you responding to a situation that we dont see in the movie, so that would be a gap in the film right?

CCDevlin

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26722
09/18/03 07:58 AM
09/18/03 07:58 AM
IOWA!!!
Dead Ohio Sky Offline
Made Member
Dead Ohio Sky  Offline
Made Member
IOWA!!!
Im very sure Vito would kill fannucci wether he was connected to the black hand or not.
I disagree. Vito would not be stupid enough to kill a man who was a member of the Black Hand, since he knew that would pretty much be suicide. Plus, Vito didn't have just himself to worry about, he had a wife, and 3 kids, and I don;t think he wanted his wife a widow, and his kids fatherless. After the knife scene, for the reasons that Turnbull wrote, Vito knew Fannucci was a fraud, and there would be no danger from the Black Hand if he killed him.

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26723
09/18/03 10:58 AM
09/18/03 10:58 AM
CCDevlin Offline
Wiseguy
CCDevlin  Offline
Wiseguy
I agree on that if the deleted scene was still in the picture. But it was taken out. So then you're saying that copolla left out a scene that was importantly influencing the way Vito got the idea that he could get away with killing fannucci, since he wasnt that tough.

CCDevlin

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26724
09/18/03 04:49 PM
09/18/03 04:49 PM
IOWA!!!
Dead Ohio Sky Offline
Made Member
Dead Ohio Sky  Offline
Made Member
IOWA!!!
I don't know why he left it out, but it wouldn't be the first time FFC let us in the dark about certain events (the specifics of Paulie and Fredos betrayls come to mind.)

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26725
09/18/03 08:32 PM
09/18/03 08:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
FFC was under great pressure to bring the GF films in at "reasonable" lengths. Hours and hours of film weren't included in the Trilogy. About 45 minutes of deleted scenes have been acknowledged and have been made available to us--either on the extra disc in the DVD set, or in the "Saga" version that is shown periodically on TV. All of those deleted scenes, imo, were important. The Fanucci-vs-kids scene was important. But there were others. For example, there's a scene in GF when, after Connie's wedding, Vito, Michael, Sonny, Fredo and Johnny Fontaine visit Genco on his deathbed. Vito also has a dialog with Michael about his future. That scene tells us why Tom became consigliere. It also tells us much more about Michael's estrangement from his family, which adds power to the later scene, in the hospital, when he says, "I'm with you now, Pop."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26726
09/19/03 01:18 PM
09/19/03 01:18 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Dead Ohio Sky:
I don't know why he left it out, but it wouldn't be the first time FFC let us in the dark about certain events (the specifics of Paulie and Fredos betrayls come to mind.)
I think the 'specifics' of Fredo's betrayal are made perfectly clear in that classic boathouse encounter. Fredo expresses rage and jealousy at his being passed over in favor of his younger brother. Probably for the first time. Even without the deleted scene between himself & Deanna at the film's opening (..."Because he's head of the family."...), we are made aware that this has been eating away at Fredo for years. He went after the chance at something for him, on his own; and even though he wasn't aware of a planned hit...was perfectly willing to sell out his brother in order to get it.

I don't think FFC left us in the dark at all about Fredo or his betrayal.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26727
09/19/03 03:41 PM
09/19/03 03:41 PM
IOWA!!!
Dead Ohio Sky Offline
Made Member
Dead Ohio Sky  Offline
Made Member
IOWA!!!
That's not what I meant by the specifics of Fredo's betrayl, Apple. What I meant was how exactly Fredo betrayed Michael in the first place, i.e. leaking info to Johnny Ola about other entrances into the compound, opening the drapes, etc.

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26728
09/19/03 04:44 PM
09/19/03 04:44 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Oh, ok.

Actually though, none of those specifics matter when you just take into account that Fredo DID leak info to Johnny Ola.

That's where the story is, not in the incidentals.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26729
09/19/03 08:46 PM
09/19/03 08:46 PM
Arthur Pewty Offline
Wiseguy
Arthur Pewty  Offline
Wiseguy
Im very sure Vito would kill fannucci wether he was connected to the black hand or not. I mean its not in the movie this scene, so if you only watch the final cut, then vito just simple decides to kill him. Also I'm not sure if fannucci is losing credit as a gangster when he is mugged by thugs. I mean, he seem's confident to take on those little punks and is playing with them almost. Then out of nowhere he gets cut.
The way the released version was edited, Vito anonymously kills Fanucci, which means he is relatively safe. His partners Clemenza and Genco are unaware of his plans, he only tells them he will pay Fanucci less than Fanucci demanded and will reason with him to agree. Vito then does this in an open place, a business. If Fanucci has connections, there is no real link to Vito as the likely killer. Rather, there are scads of suspects; everyone hated him!

Had other scenes been included to the finished version, then perhaps the first script, the one where Vito tells his partners he plans to kill Fanucci, would be more important.

As it stands, the fact that Vito takes $100 from his two partners, pretends to pay Fanucci, and makes $100 from them for the murder without their knowledge, adds so much more to Vito's character as the burgeoning Don. Sprinkle in his concern for a woman and her dog, and you have a cool, calculating, ruthless man with a soft edge for loyalty, love and faithfulness.

ciao pisano!
Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26730
09/20/03 07:42 AM
09/20/03 07:42 AM
CCDevlin Offline
Wiseguy
CCDevlin  Offline
Wiseguy
I agree with that Arthur. though everyone seemed to know that vito killed fannucci after he did it. He gained respect from Tessio and Clemenza and become their leader after he had been the lesser one of them in their mind for a while. Then also the people are so nice to him, giving him free things. Also the landlord becomes very afraid of vito after he hears from the street ( listening to them on vito's advice ) that he is very capable of certain things. I 'm sure they told him about the murder on fannucci.

But perhaps you took al this in your story.

CCDevlin

Re: Deleted Scene-Fannucci's attack #26731
09/21/03 11:03 PM
09/21/03 11:03 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
You bring up a good point CC Devlin. It was never shown that everyone knew Vito killed Funnucci. I assumed probably just Clemenza and Tessio knew.

Yet, when he told Signor Roberto, to "ask around about me", etc I suppose that would indicate he had earned a respect and/or "rank" of sorts. I guess it just doesn't seem to me that Vito would want something like that to be common knowledge, even tho I'm sure everyone who knew Funnucci was glad he was killed.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull