GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BarrettM), 332 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,203
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,990
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coming to the USA #367556
02/21/07 12:07 PM
02/21/07 12:07 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
I read another thread with some guy asking elp on how to bring his family up in the american way. Now, I'm not moving to America or anything but I am going to NYC in the summer with my family. I've browsed the internet and found out a load of places to go. Just asking, in the 5 days I am in NYC are there any activities you would recommend for a 13-14 year old to do. Oh the mods feel free to close this thread, I won't have any complaints. Thanks.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #367572
02/21/07 12:45 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
You may want to go see The Statue Of Liberty and Ellis Island. There are also plenty of Broadway Shows that you and your family can go see. And being that it's the summer time, you can also take in a Baseball game. Although I'm a New York Mets fan, I suggest that if you do decide to go and see a Baseball game, you go to Yankee Stadium. A lot of history there, not to mention monument park which has monuments of all the Yankee greats.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have about New York City.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #367573
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Its very hard to know where to start.

I would definitely take a boat trip around Manhattan -- or better yet take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry...you see the skyline, Statue of Liberty etc.
Bike or run in Centrqal park. Walk through neighborhoods like SoHo, Little Italy, Chinatown Greenwich Village....Dont try to see everything....you can overload on museums...hit one or two of them spend reasonable time and then get back on the street.
Keep in mind that New York is really a collection of very different neighborhgoods, and not a unitary city. Get a good guide book and plan ahead. When you arrive pick up a copy of New York Magazine to see the listings for things that are happening while you are there.
Overall, there is so much to do in New York you almost cannot go wrong with whatever you choose to do. Here are some things NOT to do:

1. Have Times Square as a destination. If you are going to a broadway show or are otherwise in that section of town, you will see it, and that's good enough. The area is overrated and overpriced and crowded.

2. Believe that you are eating at "the original" Ray's pizza. There are about 200 "Originial Ray's Pizza" places in NY avoid them for any mom and pop place.

3. Avoid chain restaurants and coffee places like starbucks. You are in New York, not Des Moines Iowa....stick with the locals.

4. Avoid tourist traps like Carnegie Deli and Tavern on The Green.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: dontomasso] #367576
02/21/07 12:51 PM
02/21/07 12:51 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Thanks DC and DT thats very helpful. Although it's my holiday I'm going to try and learn alot so that I can move to the city when I'm older.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #367609
02/21/07 03:19 PM
02/21/07 03:19 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I hope you enjoy your vacation. Depending on your interests, you may want to see the United Nations.

I wholeheartedly agree with seeing Yankee Stadium even if you have only a marginal interest in baseball. The Statue of Liberty will certainly be worth your time.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: klydon1] #367629
02/21/07 05:09 PM
02/21/07 05:09 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Thanks Klydon1, I do like baseball but I cant really watch it over here. I will defenaitley visit the statue of liberty, I dont know if any ever heard of former Reuters vice-president Anne Gorrie. But she is my aunt. Anyway, thank you all for your input.

Last edited by DonPacino; 02/21/07 05:10 PM.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #367631
02/21/07 05:53 PM
02/21/07 05:53 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I'll add a few that haven't been mentioned (and trying to remember what it was like to be 14). You didn't say where you'd be staying on your visit. Assuming that you'll be in Manhattan (where most of the tourist things are) you may want to plan to visit:

• The Empire State Building - take an elevator ride to the 86th floor observation deck and get a great bird's eye view of the City. King Kong visited there!
  • The Museum of Natural History - one of the best dinosaur exhibits in the world and you'll easily be able to spend a day trying to get to see some of its big exhibits.
  • Central Park - See the natives sunning themselves on their lunch hours and walk up to "Strawberry Fields" (your parents might enjoy seeing this area - near where John Lennon used to live).
  • Times Square at night - Despite a previous advice not to go there I'd recommend walking through if only to see the lights and excitement of the City at night.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: SC] #367639
02/21/07 06:13 PM
02/21/07 06:13 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Yea I'll be staying in Manhattan, I want to visit Brooklyn alot though as thats where I want to live. Already looking at apartments!

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #367738
02/21/07 09:21 PM
02/21/07 09:21 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Don't forget to access Google Earth. Its images are not necessarily right up to date, but they're close. It would really be helpful to you.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #368013
02/22/07 09:48 AM
02/22/07 09:48 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Don P. that's wonderful that you are visiting NYC. I have been there twice and must say it is one of my two favorite places to visit.

Of course I'm an "outsider" but as a two time visitor, I can tell you that you won't run out of things to see or do. Depending on your interests, there are all kinds of things to see. I stayed in the Times Square area and love it. They have a hop on & off bus (forgot what it is called) that picks you up at certain points and you can take your time seeing various parts of the city.

I've seen two plays there, and they both were nothing less than fantastic. You might be interest in Little Italy, I don't know, but I enjoyed walking and shopping (and eating).

The mods here are the right people to ask, because when I visited for the first time, they were more helpful then they realize directing and informing me of the dos and don'ts. I'm sure they don't mind answering your questions.

Will you be able to post pictures after your visit? I hope so. Have a great time and enjoy every minute, as I'm sure you will.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/22/07 09:52 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #368188
02/22/07 06:09 PM
02/22/07 06:09 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
One of the nicest and most adventuresome things you and your family can do is to visit Chinatown (lower Manhattan) and then walk over either the Manhattan Bridge or better, the Brooklyn Bridge (farther south). Chinatown's pretty grungy, but it's fascinating--like an overturned anthill. Incredibly wonderful food at incredibly low prices--just try to avoid looking at the kitchen. Then, on the bridge(s), you will get a spectacular view of Lower New York Bay and lower Manhatten--even more impressive at night.
Another positive: we have no value added tax (VAT) in the US. Depending on how the dollar's doing against the Euro, you can get some splendid bargains in New York. A lot of British Commonwealth and EU goods are cheaper in NY than in the UK or Europe.
A caveat for you and your family: there are practically no public toilets anywhere in New York; and neither you, your family, nor any decent person would want to use the few that are available. Most restaurants have signs that say, "Restrooms for Customers Only." Sometimes you can use a toilet in a hotel lobby, though they guard them, too. Plan accordingly!

Last edited by Turnbull; 02/22/07 06:16 PM.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Coming to the USA [Re: Turnbull] #368195
02/22/07 06:28 PM
02/22/07 06:28 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Here are some links to some websites covering some of the activities that were suggested by some here :

STATUE OF LIBERTY

ELLIS ISLAND

TIMES SQUARE LIVE CAM

YANKEE STADIUM

CHINATOWN

LITTLE ITALY

THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

NYC SIGHTSEEING TOUR BUS

EDITORIAL ABOUT PUBLIC TOILETS

Enjoy!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: Don Cardi] #368200
02/22/07 06:52 PM
02/22/07 06:52 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Since TB mentioned Chinatown and its incredibly inexpensive food, I wanted to recommend Wo Hop, one of the oldest Chinese restaurants around, and open all hours. Here's their menu and some info: Wo Hop Menu. I highly recommend the Wonton Soup, as the wontons are made fresh, and the Bird's Nest. My husband and I ate there not long ago and ordered the soup and a Bird's Nest to share, plus some fried rice, and we couldn't even come close to finishing it. The entire bill was about $23 US. There is a below-ground dining room that is nicer than the upstairs, which is mostly for take-out, but still has a few tables. However, the line to get a table downstairs can be long.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Coming to the USA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #368211
02/22/07 07:33 PM
02/22/07 07:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Since TB mentioned Chinatown and its incredibly inexpensive food, I wanted to recommend Wo Hop, one of the oldest Chinese restaurants around, and open all hours. Here's their menu and some info: Wo Hop Menu. I highly recommend the Wonton Soup, as the wontons are made fresh, and the Bird's Nest. My husband and I ate there not long ago and ordered the soup and a Bird's Nest to share, plus some fried rice, and we couldn't even come close to finishing it. The entire bill was about $23 US. There is a below-ground dining room that is nicer than the upstairs, which is mostly for take-out, but still has a few tables. However, the line to get a table downstairs can be long.

Were you able to make it there on a friday night?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: Don Cardi] #368233
02/22/07 08:52 PM
02/22/07 08:52 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Come to think of it, I think it WAS!!

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #368295
02/22/07 11:20 PM
02/22/07 11:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
SB, looking at that menu reminded me of splendid late-night dinners in the late '60's my wife and I had with friends at Hong Wah, another noodle joint on Doyers Street. Chow fun (broad noodles) was 80 cents in those days. Our friends owned an antiques store in Greenwich Village. We'd go there at midnight, help them close their place, then drive to Chinatown for dinner. The more the merrier--we went there with four couples, had a huge dinner that none of us could finish, and the price came out to two dollars a couple, including tax and tip. They catered a Chinese New Year's dinner for us for four dollars a person.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Coming to the USA [Re: Turnbull] #368299
02/22/07 11:30 PM
02/22/07 11:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, TB, I strongly recommend Wo Hop. It's good old Chinese food, nothing fancy, but fresh and delicious. My dad worked with a guy who was raised in Chinatown, and he always took us to Wo Hop. Chinese New Year's in Chinatown is wild. I remember going down there the day after, and you couldn't even see your feet - they were buried in paper from the fireworks.

I apologize for hijacking the thread. I seem to do that when it comes to food!!

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #368806
02/25/07 04:48 PM
02/25/07 04:48 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline OP
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Don P. that's wonderful that you are visiting NYC. I have been there twice and must say it is one of my two favorite places to visit.

Of course I'm an "outsider" but as a two time visitor, I can tell you that you won't run out of things to see or do. Depending on your interests, there are all kinds of things to see. I stayed in the Times Square area and love it. They have a hop on & off bus (forgot what it is called) that picks you up at certain points and you can take your time seeing various parts of the city.

I've seen two plays there, and they both were nothing less than fantastic. You might be interest in Little Italy, I don't know, but I enjoyed walking and shopping (and eating).

The mods here are the right people to ask, because when I visited for the first time, they were more helpful then they realize directing and informing me of the dos and don'ts. I'm sure they don't mind answering your questions.

Will you be able to post pictures after your visit? I hope so. Have a great time and enjoy every minute, as I'm sure you will.

TIS

Yea TIS, I will be posting some pictures as soon as I get back!

Re: Coming to the USA [Re: DonPacino] #368809
02/25/07 05:14 PM
02/25/07 05:14 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Oh yeah, Wo Hop, on Mott St. Just make sure you don't confuse it with the restaurant upstairs, which is terrible. Wo Hop is in the basement, and the food is UNBELIEVABLE !

Then just walk across Canal St and head one block west to Mulberry Street for coffee and pastries.

It's touristy, but you're a tourist, right ?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull