GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 362 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,068
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,368
Posts1,059,470
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? #366611
02/19/07 05:04 PM
02/19/07 05:04 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

SIRIUS and XM to Combine in $13 Billion Merger of Equals

Equals??

For fucksakes - why?? How?? Incompatible equipment... competing radio shows... they can't keep everything, right? And whatever happened to monopoly laws??

I can't see this being approved, but if it is -- they better keep the O&A and R&F shows, or I'm canceling!!! I can't wait to listen tomorrow....

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #366618
02/19/07 05:19 PM
02/19/07 05:19 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
well i doubt they could call monopoly on it since one company isn't exactly buying out the other for total control, they're just merging. besides, i'm sure there's more satellite stations out there so there are still conflicts of interest.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #366622
02/19/07 05:22 PM
02/19/07 05:22 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Equals??

For fucksakes - why?? How?? Incompatible equipment... competing radio shows... they can't keep everything, right? And whatever happened to monopoly laws??

... I'm canceling!!!

Don't have a cow, man. Pop in a Frank Sinatra cd and relax.

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: SC] #366638
02/19/07 05:37 PM
02/19/07 05:37 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I don't even listen to much music anymore -- my car is always tuned to one XM station for all-day playbacks of the Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez shows -- 1000% better than Howard Stern.

I really doubt Howard and O&A can exist together, so if Howard has his way, I'll just have to listen to O&A and R&F on Free FM.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #366641
02/19/07 05:40 PM
02/19/07 05:40 PM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
Didnt the FCC already shoot this down before?

Last edited by ap_capone48101; 02/19/07 05:40 PM.

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: ap_capone48101] #366664
02/19/07 06:05 PM
02/19/07 06:05 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Quote: "The deal will face tough regulatory scrutiny. The satellite radio licenses prevent one entity from owning them, however Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin said last month that its rules are open to change."

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: ap_capone48101] #366666
02/19/07 06:07 PM
02/19/07 06:07 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: ap_capone48101
Didnt the FCC already shoot this down before?

Yes they did.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: SC] #366670
02/19/07 06:12 PM
02/19/07 06:12 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC

Don't have a cow, man. Pop in a Frank Sinatra cd and relax.

XM had a Sinatra Station. I had XM in the car that I just turned in (my lease was up). I noticed that the Sinatra station no longer was there and saw on my satellite TV (which has complimentary Sirius) that they now have a Sinatra station.

I did not get satellite in my new car because I no longer drive the distance to work that I did in the car that I just turned in. So by not being in the car for long periods of time I could not see subscribing to satellite radio anymore. But I must admit that I did enjoy it when I had it in the other car.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Don Cardi] #366801
02/19/07 09:34 PM
02/19/07 09:34 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

JEEZ!! NOW the headline says "Sirius plans to buy XM in $4.6 billion stock deal" -- that doesn't even make sense to me... Sirius stock is less than $4/share, and XM stock is at $14/share. How does the little guy "buy" the big guy??

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #366810
02/19/07 09:47 PM
02/19/07 09:47 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

JEEZ!! NOW the headline says "Sirius plans to buy XM in $4.6 billion stock deal" -- that doesn't even make sense to me... Sirius stock is less than $4/share, and XM stock is at $14/share. How does the little guy "buy" the big guy??

Exactly Geoff. That is why Sirius stock, in my opinion, will never go anywhere. I origianlly bought shares of that comapny at like $3.25 a share. When they talked about signing Imus and were close to it, the stock went to $7.00. I sold. Then when they officially signed Imus they gave him something like 25 million shares ! The stock fell out of bed. And not to mention all these big contracts with other guest hosts. Then talking about aquiring a company like XM.

Yet you don't pick up the papers and read about them signing exclusive deals with car manufacturers anymore. I can't remember the last time that they signed an exclusive deal with a car manufacturer. To me, that's how you make your subscrition numbers go up which translates to profits which translates to higher stock prices and eventually dividends. They spend more than they bring in.

It's a dog.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Don Cardi] #366811
02/19/07 09:49 PM
02/19/07 09:49 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Exactly Geoff. That is why Sirius stock, in my opinion, will never go anywhere. I origianlly bought shares of that comapny at like $3.25 a share. When they talked about signing Imus and were close to it, the stock went to $7.00. I sold. Then when they officially signed Imus they gave him something like 25 million shares ! The stock fell out of bed. And not to mention all these big contracts with other guest hosts. Then talking about aquiring a company like XM.

Yet you don't pick up the papers and read about them signing exclusive deals with car manufacturers anymore. I can't remember the last time that they signed an exclusive deal with a car manufacturer. To me, that's how you make your subscrition numbers go up which translates to profits which translates to higher stock prices and eventually dividends. They spend more than they bring in.

It's a dog.

Don Cardi

well, GM is trying to buy out daimler, which means if they do, they have even more major companies under their hand

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: scarfacetm] #366814
02/19/07 09:50 PM
02/19/07 09:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: scarfacetm

well, GM is trying to buy out daimler, which means if they do, they have even more major companies under their hand

And where is the Sirius stock with all these potential buyouts and takeovers?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Don Cardi] #366830
02/19/07 10:14 PM
02/19/07 10:14 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I got a free trial of XM when I got my car. I tried it, but hardly listened to it for free. I certainly can't see paying for it.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #366839
02/19/07 10:48 PM
02/19/07 10:48 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
How does the little guy "buy" the big guy??

Maybe Mommy Sirius and Daddy Sirius are rich?

I didn't realize there was such a following of one or the other. I have Sirius radio but only because I got the radio for almost free. I enjoy it but now I want to hear what XM has to offer.

If they combined wouldn't they still be able to keep all of the same channels? Wouldn't the amount of channels just double and we'd all have twice the music/talk/etc...? Sounds cool to me if that will be the case.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Blibbleblabble] #366919
02/20/07 02:42 AM
02/20/07 02:42 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

BB - off the top of my head, and I'm just guessing here - but - I'm guessing that satellites can only stream so many channels. The limit, I don't know. If they could just double-up, and keep everything - then great! But I doubt it.

I've had XM for 2-3 years, got the radio as a gift, but I'm paying for the service. And gladly, because I enjoy the O&A and R&F shows -- and every baseball game live! But I also was jealous that Sirius has Big Pussy (the show - if it's still on). Howard, I don't give a shit about. But I wanted Big Pussy!

But even if they did combine... and let's assume that, since both services use different equipment (as they do)... if they kept all of both, they'd need both (group of) satellites beaming signals... and if they did that, we'd ALL need new receivers to receive both satellite signals (cha-ching for them)

But I don't see that.

O&A and Howard are at war. Obviously, under one company, they'd have to end that war. And there's no fun in that.

Not to mention, without competition (besides pre-recorded music on iPods or commercial radio), there's nothing to stop them from raising the monthly fees...

I'm hating this right now, 'til I'm explained a better rationale.

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #366949
02/20/07 08:55 AM
02/20/07 08:55 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Geoff, they've said that if and when they combine, they'll allow subscribers from both satellite companies to keep their current radios for a while, but eventually they'll combine everything and then the subscriber will have to get a new radio that will be compatible to the combined service.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Don Cardi] #366988
02/20/07 11:25 AM
02/20/07 11:25 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I bought Sirius at $5.00 watched it go to $9.00 held, and it has tanked. Hoping I can break even with this merger.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Don Cardi] #366991
02/20/07 11:28 AM
02/20/07 11:28 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

It's a dog.

Don Cardi

DC...do you mean Stern? I think Imus is on terrestial radio and MSNBC. There were rumors he was going to satellite, but I am pretty sure he re-signed with the same people he has been with.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: dontomasso] #366996
02/20/07 11:40 AM
02/20/07 11:40 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Thanks Don T, I did mean Stern.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #367029
02/20/07 01:25 PM
02/20/07 01:25 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
So long as Theme Time Radio Hour doesnt get lost in the mix, I can live w/ it. Had a friend that has Sirius for awhile, and IMO thier song selections were inferior, so hopefully XM will be in charge of what goes on the air

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Don Sonny Corleone] #367081
02/20/07 03:01 PM
02/20/07 03:01 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I also get XM through Direct TV. I don't listen to it much though.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Mignon] #377802
03/21/07 12:41 PM
03/21/07 12:41 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Sirius, XM to offer reduced price plan after deal

...and an increased price plan apparently.

Quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio (Nasdaq:SIRI - news) and XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq:XMSR - news) expect to offer a lower-priced package consisting of fewer channels after the companies combine, Sirius said on Wednesday.

The combined company will provide programming choices on a "more a la carte basis," including tiers of service both higher and lower than the $12.95 per month each company currently charges, Sirius said.

"After the merger, customers may elect to receive fewer channels at a monthly price lower than $12.95; substantially similar programming at the existing $12.95 price; or more channels ... at a modest premium to the cost of one service, and considerably less than the cost of subscribing to both services," Sirius said in a federal filing.

The price of the services, which offer music, talk, news and sports channels, has been a much argued topic during U.S. regulatory hearings over Sirius' proposed acquisition of XM.

Sen. Herb Kohl, chairman of the U.S. Senate's antitrust subcommittee, on Tuesday expressed doubts about whether regulators should approve the deal. The Wisconsin Democrat said the combination may be "a fabulous monopoly" for Sirius and XM, and "a real bad deal for consumers."

Responding to Kohl's comments, Sirius Chief Executive Mel Karmazin promised lawmakers that the company would not raise prices. Kohl and Karmazin made their comments during a hearing before the Senate antitrust subcommittee.

The proposed deal values XM at $4.1 billion, based on Tuesday's closing price for Sirius of $3.31 per share on Nasdaq and XM's 268.5 million outstanding shares.

Shares of XM and Sirius were fractionally higher in early Nasdaq trade.

I wonder what'll be on those "premium" channels for additional cost? Extended sports coverage? Howard and/or O&A? I can see it now: "Howard comes standard, you gotta pay extra for O&A" -- there's a good way to justify firing O&A for not attracting new listeners (obviously current fans will pay). \:\/

I'd pay more to keep O&A -- and may cancel if they get rid of them...

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #377807
03/21/07 12:47 PM
03/21/07 12:47 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Do you have a contract saying that you will keep it for x amount of years?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Mignon] #377809
03/21/07 01:17 PM
03/21/07 01:17 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

No, there's no contract that I'm aware of...

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #481309
03/24/08 05:55 PM
03/24/08 05:55 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Wow, it's been over a year already??

Sirius plan to buy XM gets antitrust approval
 Quote:

By Peter Kaplan and Randall Mikkelsen) 52 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio's $4.59 billion purchase of rival XM Satellite Radio was given antitrust clearance on Monday as the Justice Department concluded consumers have many alternatives, including mobile phones and personal audio players.

The deal, announced in February 2007, would combine the only two providers of satellite radio in the United States and is still being reviewed by the Federal Communications Commission.

"Competition in the marketplace generally protects consumers and I have no reason to believe that this won't happen here," Justice Department antitrust chief, Thomas Barnett, told a conference call with reporters.

The traditional radio industry, consumer groups and some U.S. lawmakers had criticized the deal as anticompetitive.

The FCC must determine whether the XM-Sirius is in the public interest, and whether to enforce its 1997 order barring either satellite radio company from acquiring the other.

A source at the FCC said FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has yet to make a proposal either approving or opposing the XM-Sirius combination, but has asked the agency's staff to draft documents for different possible outcomes.

This source said the FCC could be strongly influenced by the Justice Department accepting the satellite radio companies argument that they face stiff competition from traditional AM/FM radio, high-definition radio, MP3 players and audio delivered by mobile phones.

"I think it would be hard to go in the complete opposite direction (from the Justice Department)," said the source.

The companies have disputed the idea that the FCC's 1997 order would prohibit their merger.

Analysts expressed optimism of FCC approval, although some said the agency might impose conditions on the deal.

"We all along thought the probability was better than 50 percent that the deal would get through. Now it's past DOJ, and we feel pretty optimistic it will get through the FCC," said David Bank, an analyst with RBC Capital Markets.

The long-awaited decision sent shares of XM and Sirius sharply higher.

XM stock ended up 15.5 percent to $13.79, while Sirius closed up 8.6 percent to $3.15, both on Nasdaq. At that price for Sirius' stock, the deal, in which 4.6 shares of Sirius are to be exchanged for each XM share outstanding, is worth $4.59 billion.

Sirius and XM, which are losing money, currently charge subscribers about $13 a month for more than 100 channels of news, music, talk and sports.

The Justice Department's decision provoked immediate criticism from a key lawmaker in Congress, Senate antitrust subcommittee chairman Sen. Herb Kohl, a Wisconsin Democrat.

Kohl took the department to task for "failing to oppose numerous mergers which reduced competition in key industries, resulting in the Justice Department not bringing a single contested merger case in nearly four years."

"We urge that the FCC find the merger contrary to the public interest and exercise its authority to block it," Kohl said in a statement.

Sirius and XM said in a brief statement that they had received antitrust clearance and that their deal was still subject to FCC approval.

(Additional reporting by Diane Bartz; editing by Tim Dobbyn)

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #481310
03/24/08 06:06 PM
03/24/08 06:06 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!

Depends on how many shares are being traded.

1000 shares at $4 > 100 shares at $14

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Longneck] #481315
03/24/08 06:46 PM
03/24/08 06:46 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
I am glad I went with Sirius. "Seriously Sinatra" is a wonderful network and well worth checking out. Worth the price alone. as long as Howard and Sinatra and Jazz in general is untouched, I'm happy.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: Mike Sullivan] #481353
03/24/08 10:01 PM
03/24/08 10:01 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

...as long as Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez are untouched \:p

Last edited by J Geoff; 03/25/08 02:22 AM. Reason: TYPO pointed out by JL -- doh! ;)

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #481367
03/25/08 01:46 AM
03/25/08 01:46 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
"Ron and Fex" ? \:p

Re: SIRIUS and XM to Combine??? [Re: J Geoff] #481368
03/25/08 01:47 AM
03/25/08 01:47 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Agreed.

And Don Corleone will give up protection in the East - and there will be the peace.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull