GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (CNote, 2 invisible), 268 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,309
Posts1,058,355
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: SC] #366872
02/20/07 12:31 AM
02/20/07 12:31 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I can remember another political slogan:

Nixon's the One!

And, because of that, I'll always remember a bumper sticker I saw years ago:

Nixon - He Was the One in '68
He'll be a Bigger One in '72!

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: Signor Vitelli] #366873
02/20/07 12:34 AM
02/20/07 12:34 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
I can remember another political slogan:

Nixon's the One!

And, because of that, I'll always remember a bumper sticker I saw years ago:

Nixon - He Was the One in '68
He'll be a Bigger One in '72!

Lets not forget:

Dick Nixon Before He Dicks You.

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: SC] #366874
02/20/07 12:36 AM
02/20/07 12:36 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I'm about 90 posts late in this thread but Jimmy Carter was president when I was born. Not sure if you're still interested TIS or anyone else.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: Blibbleblabble] #366876
02/20/07 12:45 AM
02/20/07 12:45 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
Hi Bibble,

Let's see, are you the only one who said Carter? I don't feel like checking all the posts. Another youngster.

Vitelli,

You didn't mention who was President when you were born? Could you possibly be the Truman era as well?

SC, I remember the "Dick" Nixon jokes/slogans. The name was so easy to work with. Remember all the comics (Rich Little comes to mind) who'd imitate him??

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #366877
02/20/07 12:52 AM
02/20/07 12:52 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I was born early in the Eisenhower admistration.

Here's another bumper sticker I saw:

McGovern Can't Lick Our Dick!

Now, as far as comics and impressionists having a field day with Nixon, the one I thought was the best was David Frye. (Remember his I Am the President album?)

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #366880
02/20/07 01:01 AM
02/20/07 01:01 AM
P
Partagas Offline
Partagas  Offline
P

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Part,

Chili doesn't sound bad right now. Was Truman from Kansas?? I don't remember? Anyway, enjoy your lunch.

TIS

Truman was from Missouri -- Independence to be specific, a suburb of Kansas City just north of the city where I live.

I try to hit Dixon's at least once a month and this is the second President's Day in a row that I have eaten there so I guess it is a tradition

I got my chili the way Truman preferered -- over three tamales. I told the waitress (who probably served Truman himself) that I should get the President Day discount in honor of their favorite son and sure enough got my meal (and daughters) free. Of course, I tipped her well!

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: SC] #366954
02/20/07 09:07 AM
02/20/07 09:07 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

McCain is about to make the same mistake.

GREAT BALLS OF DOODY!!

THE END IS NEAR!!

RUN FOR THE HILLS AND HIDE YOURSELVES!!

Not only did TB post a political comment BUT he did so after Geoff specifically warned us about hijacking this thread with such political statements!

TB moves away and he gets brave?

But not to worry. It's not like Geoff would ban him.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #366956
02/20/07 09:09 AM
02/20/07 09:09 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Eisenhower.

Is this another sneaky way to find out our ages?

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: Lavinia from Italy] #366963
02/20/07 10:00 AM
02/20/07 10:00 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
Originally Posted By: Lavinia from Italy
Eisenhower.

Is this another sneaky way to find out our ages?

Ha ha!! I see your point Lavinia, but trust me, I didn't even think of how it would "appear" by asking this question.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #366972
02/20/07 10:09 AM
02/20/07 10:09 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I should do a WHAT IF column sometime on 1968.

What if Robert Kennedy wasn't shot? Would his charismatic, populist campaign have won the Democratic nomination over Humphrey?

Talk about a whole different America as a result...

That was certainly a turbulent political time. It is certainly best known for the assassination of RFK in June and the police violence against the anti-war demonstrators at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, which sparked one of my favorite Daleyisms, "The police aren't here to create disorder; they're here to preserve it."

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #366979
02/20/07 10:22 AM
02/20/07 10:22 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

There's one I've heard of Klydon!

To Klydon, SC or anyone more in the know on this topic than I (which is everyone ).. Adeli (sp) Stevenson? He ran for VP with whom??? And, wasn't there some kind of scandal associated with him????? Or, am I thinking of someone else?

TIS

I dont know who ran with Stevenson in 52, but in 56 it was Kefauver (referred to by Hyman Roth in GFII). To my knowledge there was never anything Stevenson did that brought any scandal on him while he was in office. Apparently JFK disliked him and he resisted pressure to name him Secretary of State. Instead he sent him to be Ambassador to the UN which Stevenson considered beneath his station, but he served anyway.

Shortly after he retired, he dropped dead on a London street of a massive heart attack. Supposedly he was having an affair with Katherine Graham of the Washington Post at the time.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #366981
02/20/07 10:26 AM
02/20/07 10:26 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Ha ha!! I see your point Lavinia, but trust me, I didn't even think of how it would "appear" by asking this question.

I was just kidding, TIS. My only regret is that I missed Kennedy's presidency, he was my younger days' hero.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: dontomasso] #367059
02/20/07 02:29 PM
02/20/07 02:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
There's one I've heard of Klydon!

To Klydon, SC or anyone more in the know on this topic than I (which is everyone ).. Adeli (sp) Stevenson? He ran for VP with whom??? And, wasn't there some kind of scandal associated with him????? Or, am I thinking of someone else?

TIS

I dont know who ran with Stevenson in 52, but in 56 it was Kefauver (referred to by Hyman Roth in GFII). To my knowledge there was never anything Stevenson did that brought any scandal on him while he was in office. Apparently JFK disliked him and he resisted pressure to name him Secretary of State. Instead he sent him to be Ambassador to the UN which Stevenson considered beneath his station, but he served anyway.

Shortly after he retired, he dropped dead on a London street of a massive heart attack. Supposedly he was having an affair with Katherine Graham of the Washington Post at the time.

Stevenson's running mate in '52 was Sen. John Sparkman of Alabama.

JFK and Stevenson disliked and distrusted each other intensely. Stevenson told JFK he wouldn't run for the Dem nomination in '60, but he didn't discourage his followers from attempting to "draft" him. A last-minute demonstration for Stevenson on the convention floor in LA nearly derailed JFK's nomination. JFK told him, "I like you, Adlai. But if you get in my way, I'm just going to have to s**t all over you."

After the election, liberals, who distrusted JFK, demanded that he name Stevenson Secretary of State. Since Stevenson was far better known and respected around the world than JFK at that point, he could easily have depositioned his President. So JFK named him UN Ambassador and elevated the post to "Cabinet rank." This was a great political ploy on JFK's part: Liberals were ecstatic because they regarded the UN as the Taj Mahal of international affairs. But as Ambassador, Stevenson had no real policymaking power--his job was to read speeches written for him by State Dept. and White House functionaries. "Cabinet rank" was meaningless, too: he was still subordinate to Secretary of State Dean Rusk; and JFK seldom held Cabinet meetings anyway and never discussed anything important at them.

JFK humiliated Stevenson more than once. During the Bay of Pigs brouhaha, JFK neglected to tell Stevenson that the clapped-out WWII bombers that hit Cuban airfields before the invasion were flown by CIA operatives. So Stevenson unknowingly spread the lie at the UN that they were flown by "Cuban patriots," and his prestige took a huge nosedive. During the missile crisis, Stevenson repeatedly demanded proof that JFK prove to him that the Soviet missiles in Cuba were really offensive, not defensive, units.

After the crisis was over, JFK told favored newsmen "off the record" that Stevenson had proposed trading American Jupiter missiles in Turkey for the Soviet missiles in Cuba; when in fact Defense Secretary Robert McNamara had made that proposal.

The differences twixt JFK and Stevenson were personal, too. JFK, a gold-medal womanizer, constantly resented Stevenson for the attraction he held for young, good-looking women. JFK could never accept that balding, paunchy, middle-aged Stevenson could be almost as much a Lothario as he was.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: Turnbull] #367091
02/20/07 03:23 PM
02/20/07 03:23 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

[quote=Turnbull '60, but he didn't discourage his followers from attempting to "draft" him. A last-minute demonstration for Stevenson on the convention floor in LA nearly derailed JFK's nomination. [/quote]

I remember that "draft" Stevenson moment watching the 60 convention on television. I believe none other than Eleanor Roosevelt placed his name in nomination, and suddenly the floor was filled with "Stevenson" placards, etc. This of course when nominating conventions actually meant something and this was the left wing of the party using its last gasp to stop JFK.

It is correct that JFK rarely had cabinet meetings. Other than
Robert MacNamara and rarely Rusk, he relied on his inner circle of White House advisers, and his brother (who was in the cabinet).

I also seem to recall that the republicans tried to smear Stevenson by alleging he was a homosexual.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: Turnbull] #367092
02/20/07 03:26 PM
02/20/07 03:26 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

The differences twixt JFK and Stevenson were personal, too. JFK, a gold-medal womanizer, constantly resented Stevenson for the attraction he held for young, good-looking women. JFK could never accept that balding, paunchy, middle-aged Stevenson could be almost as much a Lothario as he was.

To say nothing of the fact that Stevenson walked around with holes in his shoes.

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: dontomasso] #367175
02/20/07 06:32 PM
02/20/07 06:32 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I remember that "draft" Stevenson moment watching the 60 convention on television. I believe none other than Eleanor Roosevelt placed his name in nomination, and suddenly the floor was filled with "Stevenson" placards, etc. This of course when nominating conventions actually meant something and this was the left wing of the party using its last gasp to stop JFK.

She was the #1 JFK doubter in the Democratic Party. After the nomination, JFK spent days sucking up to her to get her endorsement. Of course, the fact that the GOP nominated Nixon was the decisive factor--Eleanor hated him even more than JFK.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #367203
02/20/07 08:32 PM
02/20/07 08:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I should do a WHAT IF column sometime on 1968.

What if Robert Kennedy wasn't shot? Would his charismatic, populist campaign have won the Democratic nomination over Humphrey?

Talk about a whole different America as a result...

I am convinced that he would have won the Presidency. Yes, America would have taken a whole new direction. Of course, no telling if that woul dhave been good or bad.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: olivant] #368450
02/23/07 09:51 PM
02/23/07 09:51 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
December 1970 - I'm not sure who was president when I was born. Was it Johnson or Nixon? I really don't know! The first one I remember on TV was Nixon though.

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: AngelaMarie] #368451
02/23/07 09:53 PM
02/23/07 09:53 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: AngelaMarie
December 1970 - I'm not sure who was president when I was born. Was it Johnson or Nixon?

Nixon won the '68 election, so he took office in January, '69.

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: SC] #368453
02/23/07 09:56 PM
02/23/07 09:56 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
Okay, SC. thank you.

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #368493
02/24/07 12:49 AM
02/24/07 12:49 AM
Cleveland
christopher_faini Offline
Associate
christopher_faini  Offline
Associate
Cleveland
Ronald Reagen here...

"Do you spend time with your family? Good, cause you're not a real man if you don't spend time with your family"
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: christopher_faini] #368517
02/24/07 06:07 AM
02/24/07 06:07 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I was born August '70 so it would have been Nixon?
Is that right?

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #368660
02/24/07 06:15 PM
02/24/07 06:15 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Is that right?

Yes indeed.

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: klydon1] #368665
02/24/07 08:32 PM
02/24/07 08:32 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I was a Reagan kid.......

Re: Who Was President When You Were Born? [Re: klydon1] #369795
02/27/07 04:00 PM
02/27/07 04:00 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Is that right?

Yes indeed.

Thank you Klydon

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull