GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 406 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,529
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clemenza v/s Pentangeli #363558
02/12/07 06:46 PM
02/12/07 06:46 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Greetings... I've been away for a while, but I had sort of a challenging thought as I watched GFII last night. I feel as though I could not see Clemenza in the same role that Pentangeli played. I feel as though he was far too loyal to do this. Others' thoughts on this is much appreciated.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: FrankWhite] #363560
02/12/07 06:50 PM
02/12/07 06:50 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
I feel the same. It may just be the Michael V. Gazzo potrayed Frankie Pentageli though. Maybe Richard S. Castello would have been more suttle had he been it.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: DonPacino] #363608
02/12/07 08:53 PM
02/12/07 08:53 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I can't imagine any other actors playing these parts,am i write in saying that Gazzo got a oscar nomination for his role..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: FrankWhite] #363634
02/12/07 11:17 PM
02/12/07 11:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome back, Frank. Been a long time.
As you probably know, Richard Castellano was approached about appearing in GFII, but he wanted too much money and script control for Paramount's liking. So, FFC and Puzo wrote Clemenza out of GFII and created Frank Pentangeli as Clemenza's successor after Pete died of a "heart attack" (or maybe not?).

So, we're talking about two entirely different characters. Of course Richard Castellano--had he appeared in GFII--would have been given an entirely different personality and script to follow than Michael V. Gazzo as Frank Pentangeli. The concept of Clemenza surviving into GFII, and Castellano playing him, has been discussed many times here, and many people believe (as you do) that Clemenza would have remained totally loyal to Michael. But, Clemenza didn't survive into GFII, and we got a different boss of New York: Frankie.

IMO, Michael V. Gazzo makes GFII--Everyman as Mafia boss. He richly deserved the Oscar nomination he got, and I would have been delirously happy had he won. He's my favorite character in the entire Trilogy.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Turnbull] #363773
02/13/07 02:39 PM
02/13/07 02:39 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Thanks TB. Been far too long ;-).

OH!!! that's what i was missing. I was not aware that it was a whole new character written in. I was under the impression that Pentangeli was a "stand in" for Pete. Thanks TB, can always count on you to add a dimension that I never thought of before. Clemenza is my 2nd favorite character of the trilogy (to Sonny) and would have loved to see how he took the whole issue of control being transfered to Mike.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: FrankWhite] #363775
02/13/07 02:46 PM
02/13/07 02:46 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
I think Castello wanted his girlfriend to write his dialouge.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: DonPacino] #363783
02/13/07 03:00 PM
02/13/07 03:00 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: DonPacino

Women !
LOL

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: pizzaboy] #363785
02/13/07 03:03 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: DonPacino] #363786
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: DonPacino

Yes. Harlan Lebo quotes FFC saying that money wasn't the issue. Castellano wanted "his associate" (actually his girlfriend, Ardell Sheridan, who played Mrs. Clemenza in GF) to write dialog.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Turnbull] #363789
02/13/07 03:10 PM
02/13/07 03:10 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
I wonder what she would have done different.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: DonPacino] #363791
02/13/07 03:15 PM
02/13/07 03:15 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Who knows???

Furthermore... since this is the case... does anyone know what was going to happen with Clemenza, had he been in GFII???

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: FrankWhite] #364170
02/14/07 05:15 AM
02/14/07 05:15 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
The idea eventually, I believe, was that Clemenza would have turned into a disastrous liability for the Corleone Family, either by rolling over and turning informer, or maybe simply by making some stupid careless mistakes (the flashback scenes of GF II foreshadow this by showing Clemenza's rock-headed personality at times).

Also, at the scene of Vito's funeral, the thought of Clemenza betraying Michael is brought up when Tom Hagen says, "I always thought it would have been Clemenza."

Michael doesn't disagree that Clemenza would be loyal until death, but that Tessio "was the smarter one" and cut a deal for himself first.

Clemenza also foreshadows possible disloyalty when he comes to Vito asking to break off into his own family (attempting to back-door Michael in the process). Vito shoots down that idea in a hurry, but still it's on the record that Clemenza was at least thinking about it.

"You did good."
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: EnzoBaker] #364216
02/14/07 01:10 PM
02/14/07 01:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: EnzoBaker
Also, at the scene of Vito's funeral, the thought of Clemenza betraying Michael is brought up when Tom Hagen says, "I always thought it would have been Clemenza."

Michael doesn't disagree that Clemenza would be loyal until death, but that Tessio "was the smarter one" and cut a deal for himself first.

Clemenza also foreshadows possible disloyalty when he comes to Vito asking to break off into his own family (attempting to back-door Michael in the process). Vito shoots down that idea in a hurry, but still it's on the record that Clemenza was at least thinking about it.

I think Michael was being a little sarcastic about Tessio in that scene. When he says, "It's the smart move...", I think he means that it looks bad for Michael and the Corleone Family because Michael was deceiving everyone into thinking he was weak and irresolute. But it was really a plan to get his enemies to show their hand--and Tessio did.
Yes, Clemenza did propose to break off and form his own family. But he prefaced it by saying, "Godfather, you once said that the day would come when me and Tessio could form our own families." So, it wasn't potential disloyalty so much as trying to redeem a pledge that Vito himself had made.
Far more revealing, IMO, is what came next:
Vito says, "Do you trust my judgment?" Clemenza says, fervently, "Always, Godfather." But Tessio merely hisses, "Yes-s-s-." And, if I remember correctly, Tessio simply leaves the conference without shaking hands or embracing anyone--a harbinger of disloyalty to come.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Turnbull] #364273
02/14/07 04:50 PM
02/14/07 04:50 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Exactly TB. I would have liked to see more of Tessio in the flashback scenes of GF2.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Turnbull] #364652
02/15/07 01:37 PM
02/15/07 01:37 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Yes... i agree TB. Clemenza didn't show any disloyalty in this scene. BUT, I do believe that he felt that Tessio was the "smarter" one of the two and was not, so much, being sarcastic.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: FrankWhite] #364654
02/15/07 01:55 PM
02/15/07 01:55 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
This is one of the times that comparing the novel and the movie just don't work. The novel explains Tessio's role more while the movie concentrated more on Clemenza simply because Richard Castellano was the highest paid cast member and his lines/roles were beefed up due to that.

The character Tessio, portrayed by Abe Vigoda, a relatively little known actor at the time, was relegated to a minor role.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: SC] #364714
02/15/07 02:28 PM
02/15/07 02:28 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Tessio should have been more involved in the flashbacks og GF2.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: DonPacino] #364751
02/15/07 03:03 PM
02/15/07 03:03 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
OH WOW!!! i am in the process of reading the novel and i see i need to hurry and make this a reality because I'm missing that dynamic.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Turnbull] #364776
02/15/07 04:06 PM
02/15/07 04:06 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: EnzoBaker

I think Michael was being a little sarcastic about Tessio in that scene. When he says, "It's the smart move...", I think he means that it looks bad for Michael and the Corleone Family because Michael was deceiving everyone into thinking he was weak and irresolute. But it was really a plan to get his enemies to show their hand--and Tessio did.
Yes, Clemenza did propose to break off and form his own family. But he prefaced it by saying, "Godfather, you once said that the day would come when me and Tessio could form our own families." So, it wasn't potential disloyalty so much as trying to redeem a pledge that Vito himself had made.
Far more revealing, IMO, is what came next:
Vito says, "Do you trust my judgment?" Clemenza says, fervently, "Always, Godfather." But Tessio merely hisses, "Yes-s-s-." And, if I remember correctly, Tessio simply leaves the conference without shaking hands or embracing anyone--a harbinger of disloyalty to come.

Actually Tessio uses his LEFT HAND to shake with Michael before he leaves the room. I always saw this as a foreshadowing of his betrayal. Also, there is another significant part of that scene where Carlo thanks Vito for Michael's naming him as his 'right hand man" in Vegas. It shows that Carlo has totally bought into the idea that Michael is not really in charge and that he is as weak and clueless as Barzini has been telling him.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Turnbull] #372517
03/06/07 04:47 PM
03/06/07 04:47 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

IMO, Michael V. Gazzo makes GFII--Everyman as Mafia boss. He richly deserved the Oscar nomination he got, and I would have been delirously happy had he won. He's my favorite character in the entire Trilogy.

His lines, and the way that he delivered them, were just priceless.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Don Cardi] #372565
03/06/07 06:13 PM
03/06/07 06:13 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

His lines, and the way that he delivered them, were just priceless.

Don Cardi

Yes, Gazzo portrayed Frankie as the penultimate street-wise, from the neighborhood gangster. He was the most earthy of all the characters in the Trilogy.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: olivant] #381491
04/03/07 04:15 PM
04/03/07 04:15 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
I wonder why they didn't write some scenes for Frankie in the flashback segments, showing how Frankie came to know Vito and such.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Buttmunker] #381500
04/03/07 04:20 PM
04/03/07 04:20 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
and the fact that they deleted the Hyman Roth scene from the flashback segments also was a mistake. You have Hyman Roth and Frankie Pentageli as main characters in the 'Michael segments,' but no mention of these main characters in the 'Flashback segments.'

While I love the movie, I fail to understand this aspect.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Buttmunker] #381666
04/04/07 10:34 AM
04/04/07 10:34 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Well... while I understand your gripes, I have to say that there was no need to foreshadow the Hyman Roth situation. And, although a mention of Frankie would have been usefull in understanding who he was and where he came from, it wouldn't have made much sense. Clemenza was Vito's man. The real purpose of the flashbacks was to establish the story of Vito's rise to power, develope his character, and give a contrast of he to Michael.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Buttmunker] #381669
04/04/07 10:41 AM
04/04/07 10:41 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Well put FrankWhite.

Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
You have Hyman Roth and Frankie Pentageli as main characters in the 'Michael segments,' but no mention of these main characters in the 'Flashback segments.'

Actually there IS mention of Hyman Roth in the flashback scenes. As a matter of fact we are introduced to him in the flashback scenes.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Don Cardi] #381672
04/04/07 10:47 AM
04/04/07 10:47 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Yes, DC, the famous Johnny Lips!!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Sicilian Babe] #381701
04/04/07 01:41 PM
04/04/07 01:41 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline
B
Made Member
NY
True, that, but Roth's scene was deleted from the movie, so it did little good.

Frankly, I thought the Roth scene was pretty funny. Clemenza says they call him Johnny Lips, and Vito says he thinks we can come up with a better name.

The wit of Vito. Ahh.

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Buttmunker] #382544
04/06/07 04:43 PM
04/06/07 04:43 PM
B
bradd10 Offline
Associate
bradd10  Offline
B
Associate
I'm new to the site and have never seen any of the deleted scenes, such as the one that introduces young Hyman Roth. But in GFII, the scene after Signor Roberto leaves the store, Vito and several others go into the street to watch the sign being hoisted. Obviously there are Tessio, Clemenza and Genco, but I notice two other guys who aren't identified. Might these guys be young Roth and Pentangeli?

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: bradd10] #382560
04/06/07 06:29 PM
04/06/07 06:29 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
That's the end part of the deleted scene. It is Hyman Roth. In the deleted protion of that scene, right after Roberto leaves, we are introduced to a young man who is called Johnny Lips aka Hyman Roth.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Clemenza v/s Pentangeli [Re: Don Cardi] #382564
04/06/07 06:36 PM
04/06/07 06:36 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The last two posts show an interesting loss of continuity in editing.
Young Roth's appearance outside the storefront may have been the tail end of the deleted scene, but those few seconds were never deleted--they were in the original. So, a viewer like bradd, who has never seen the deleted scenes, may well wonder who this kid is and where he came from--obviously he belongs with Vito, Genco and Clemenza, but we never saw him before, and never see him after.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull