GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Big_Tuna93, RushStreet, TheKillingJoke, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,069
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,369
Posts1,059,484
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press #360189
02/01/07 01:09 AM
02/01/07 01:09 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html

Man held after ad campaign triggers Boston bomb scare

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- Authorities arrested a man in connection with electronic light boards depicting a middle-finger-waving moon man that triggered repeated bomb scares around Boston on Wednesday and prompted the closure of bridges and a stretch of the Charles River.

Meanwhile, police and prosecutors vented their anger at Turner Broadcasting Inc., the parent company of CNN, who said the battery-operated light boards were aimed at promoting the late-night Adult Swim cartoon "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," condemning Turner for not taking proper steps to end the bomb scares earlier and for not issuing an adequate apology to the city.

Turner Broadcasting said in written statements the devices had been placed around Boston and nine other cities in recent weeks as part of a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote the show.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," Phil Kent, CEO and chairman of Turner Broadcasting System Inc., said in one of two statements issued by the company.

"As soon as we realized that an element of the campaign was being mistaken for something potentially dangerous, appropriate law enforcement officials were notified and through federal law enforcement channels, we identified the specific locations of the advertisements in all 10 cities in which they are posted. We also directed the third-party marketing firm who posted the advertisements to take them down immediately."

Peter Berdovsky, 27, a freelance video artist from Arlington, Massachusetts, was facing charges of placing a hoax device in a way that results in panic, as well as one count of disorderly conduct, said Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. The charge is a felony, she said.

According to his Web site, Berdovsky is a graduate of the Massachusetts College of Art and a founding member of a video artists group called Glitch who goes by the nickname "Zebbler" and sings in a band called "Superfiction."

Authorities believe Berdovsky was "in the employ of other individuals" as part of the marketing campaign, Coakley said. "How exactly this was executed, we are still investigating." Berdovsky is scheduled for arraignment at 9 a.m. Thursday in Charlestown District Court.

Adult Swim shares channel space with Cartoon Network, another Turner enterprise, but the adult-themed network is a separate entity.

The devices displayed a "Mooninite" -- an outer-space delinquent who makes frequent appearances on the cartoon -- greeting passersby with an upraised middle finger. But the discovery of nine of the light boards around Boston and its suburbs sent bomb squads scrambling throughout the day, snarling traffic and mass transit in one of the largest U.S. cities.

"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."

The statement from Kent said Turner Broadcasting deeply regrets "the hardships experienced as a result of this incident." (Read the full statement)

Mayor calls situation 'outrageous'
But Coakley, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and others said the statement offering an apology was not enough, and did not rule out criminal charges or a civil suit to recover the estimated hundreds of thousands of dollars it cost the city to respond to the bomb scares.

Menino told reporters he received a call from a Turner spokesperson about 9 p.m. but had not yet returned it. "I think the city deserves a call, not from a press person, but from somebody in the corporate structure of Turner," he said.

"I just think this is outrageous, what they've done ... It's all about corporate greed."

He and Coakley said Turner did not give authorities the locations of the devices and said they learned the devices were Turner's when the company sent a fax to City Hall at 5 p.m.

Officials believe there are 38 throughout the Boston area, and 14 had been recovered as of 9 p.m., Coakley said. "We heard nothing official from the people who could have resolved this earlier."

Some of the devices were placed on private property, she said, which "raises a lot of questions about, at the very least, the responsibility of anybody who would do this."

Asked about whether Massachusetts authorities would have the jurisdiction to arrest people out of state, Coakley said she believed they would if the offenses took place in Massachusetts. Turner Broadcasting's headquarters is in Atlanta, Georgia.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis called it "unconscionable" that the marketing campaign was executed in a post 9/11 era. "It's a foolish prank on the part of Turner Broadcasting," he said. "In the environment nowadays ... we really have to look at the motivation of the company here and why this happened."

Earlier, Boston police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll called Wednesday's incidents "a colossal waste of money."

The discovery of the light boards led state, local and federal authorities to close the Boston University and Longfellow Bridges and block boat traffic from the Charles River to Boston Harbor. In addition, the Pentagon said U.S. Northern Command was monitoring the situation from its headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colorado, but said none of its units were dispatched to assist.

The first device reported was at the Sullivan Square commuter rail station, near the suburb of Somerville, Wednesday morning. Wednesday afternoon, four other devices were reported -- near the Longfellow and Boston University bridges over the Charles, at New England Medical Center and near the intersection of Stuart and Columbus avenues in the city itself, and four more turned up over the course of the day.

Rep. Ed Markey, a Boston-area congressman, said, "Whoever thought this up needs to find another job."

"Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadways, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok," Markey, a Democrat, said in a written statement. "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."

Turner Broadcasting said the devices had been in place for two to three weeks in Boston; New York; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

A Turner source said the displays were a component of a third-party advertising campaign conducted by a New York advertising firm, Interference Inc., which had no comment on the incident.

------------------------

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #360191
02/01/07 01:15 AM
02/01/07 01:15 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
You know what I just realized?

All these news media outlets are showing the Moonite flipping the bird off.

EDIT: Oh my, somebody is already putting shirts out. I'm so buying this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mooninite-Suspected-...bayphotohosting

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 02/01/07 01:20 AM.
Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #360228
02/01/07 07:24 AM
02/01/07 07:24 AM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
O and A are just ripping Boston about this. Funny thing is 9 other cities had this done to them and no one else reacted like Boston.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: ap_capone48101] #360229
02/01/07 08:22 AM
02/01/07 08:22 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Can you link me up?

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #360238
02/01/07 09:15 AM
02/01/07 09:15 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

No doubt Jane Fonda has to be involved in some sort of guerrilla campaign, especially if her ex-hubby Ted's former company is involved.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: Double-J] #360246
02/01/07 09:34 AM
02/01/07 09:34 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Double-J
No doubt Jane Fonda has to be involved in some sort of guerrilla campaign, especially if her ex-hubby Ted's former company is involved.

She still alive? Oh yes, that's right, last I heard she was riding around the country on a bus fueled by cooking oil.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: Don Cardi] #360251
02/01/07 10:15 AM
02/01/07 10:15 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Couldn't we just deport Jane Fonda to Hannoi?

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: Don Cardi] #360268
02/01/07 01:28 PM
02/01/07 01:28 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

She still alive? Oh yes, that's right, last I heard she was riding around the country on a bus fueled by cooking oil.

Don Cardi

Talk about getting the wrong person for your cause....who is the genius who decided Jane should speak at the recent peace rally?
I have heard, however she is ready to make a deal with Bush. He pulls out of Iraq and she promises not to make Monster In Law Part Two.

Getting back to the bomb scare, I heard those things were up for a couple of weeks before all this hell broke loose. I think those idiots from Turner need to pony up the money it cost the city of Boston....and couldnt they have just given the city a heads up on what they were doing ahead of time?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free p [Re: dontomasso] #360282
02/01/07 02:53 PM
02/01/07 02:53 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I think those idiots from Turner need to pony up the money it cost the city of Boston....and couldnt they have just given the city a heads up on what they were doing ahead of time?

Nah, they couldn't give Boston any sort of heads-up. Boston has had its head up its arse for awhile.

I mean, they paid $51 million dollars for a phone call, AND signed JD Drew. I mean, c'mon.

Oh, and Massachusetts also keeps re-electing Ted Kennedy.

I don't think a warning would've helped.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free p [Re: Double-J] #360351
02/01/07 06:08 PM
02/01/07 06:08 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Yeah, a yankee from a state that just elected a Cuomo back into the New York executive level, and re-elected HILLARY CLINTON, I'm sorry, but New Yorkers don't have the moral supremacy to trash Massachussetts at the moment.

I do agree that Boston had its head up its ass. "National Security Alert Level: MOONITE!"

The city looked damn incompetent and pathetic, and yeah there is a reason why most of the country is laughing at the city.

DT, why should Adult Swim do so? The Boston city government is just embarrased that, to quote the great movie DIE HARD, "got butt-fucked on live TV."

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free p [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #360495
02/01/07 11:12 PM
02/01/07 11:12 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
This reminds me of a time 15 years ago when a court house, in which I was doing some work was evacuated and a bomb demolition team was rushed to defuse a suspicious package of unknown origin placed under a deputy district attorney's desk.

After an hour of carefully opening the parcel, the bomb team determined that it was an Etch-a-sketch that was inadvertentl left behind by a lawyer, who had a discovery conference earlier in the day in the office. He had bought it for his son.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: Double-J] #360508
02/02/07 01:35 AM
02/02/07 01:35 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Couldn't we just deport Jane Fonda to Hannoi?

I think Barbarella is a masterpiece.

Please note the sarcasim.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free press [Re: Mike Sullivan] #360509
02/02/07 01:46 AM
02/02/07 01:46 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free p [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #360558
02/02/07 12:57 PM
02/02/07 12:57 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Yeah, a yankee from a state that just elected a Cuomo back into the New York executive level, and re-elected HILLARY CLINTON, I'm sorry, but New Yorkers don't have the moral supremacy to trash Massachussetts at the moment.

To paraphrase my counterparts on the other side of the canned soup aisle:

I DIDN'T ELECT THEM!

Of course, RRA, if you really want some fun, you should see my county government. We had a guy convicted of embezzling, and we re-elected him, to, of all things, county comptroller.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free p [Re: Double-J] #360706
02/03/07 03:21 AM
02/03/07 03:21 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
"I DIDN'T ELECT THEM!"

What a cop-out.

Re: Bomb scare shuts down Boston; ATHF gets free p [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #360835
02/03/07 06:18 PM
02/03/07 06:18 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
"I DIDN'T ELECT THEM!"

What a cop-out.

I've learned from the best (NYS Democrats).

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull