GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 304 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,161
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Honoring PLAW and others #358209
01/22/07 12:31 AM
01/22/07 12:31 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
exgigirl Offline OP
Underboss
exgigirl  Offline OP
Underboss
Pennsylvania, USA
I just wanted to remind everyone that the American Cancer Society is starting its drive to have people participate in Relay For Life. Last year was the first time the company I work for had a team. I reluctantly at first agreed to become captain. Two other ladies at work became co-captains. We only worked for 6 weeks and raised over $1200. This year I am a co-captain and one of the other two is captain. I did it because my best friend died from breast cancer in August 2005. Someone has to do it, I reasoned. If not you, who? If someone approaches you for a donation or to be a volunteer, do it! We're all busy but this is a cause that is near and dear to everyone's heart. Cancer has touched the lives of a great many people in the world. I have lost many loved ones. Give whatever you can, even if it's only a dollar. Giving of your time means even more. It made me feel good, like I was doing something.Please, please, please, please help!!!! Thank you.

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: exgigirl] #358223
01/22/07 02:13 AM
01/22/07 02:13 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Bravo, and good for you, ex!!!

One of these days we'll have a cure for this killer. I hope I'm around to see it.

Good luck in your money raising attempts.

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: SC] #358225
01/22/07 03:55 AM
01/22/07 03:55 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
As one of the people on these Boards who has experienced cancer up close and personal, I will echo SC and wish you all my sincerest best in your efforts.

It's like the old cliche: we can put a person on the moon, but we still have not been able to eradicate this horrible disease.

Cancer isn't just a concept; it has a human face. Below, I am posting a photo of my wife as she will always be in my heart.

Do what you can, and give what you can. Please do not forget the truly worthy causes that are out there. Do not forget plaw, Signora V. and the countless others.

Signor V.

Attached Files 77-TrishWilliamsburg.JPG

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: Signor Vitelli] #358359
01/22/07 06:25 PM
01/22/07 06:25 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Unfortunately, we've all been touched by this horrible disease in one form or another. As a cancer survivor, I think that what you are doing is a wonderful thing!! While I lost my dad to cancer in 1994, my mom is an ovarian cancer survivor, a true rarity. Thanks to you for all the time and effort you put into this!!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: Sicilian Babe] #358361
01/22/07 06:36 PM
01/22/07 06:36 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

I echo everyone's sentiments. Keep up the great work!

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: exgigirl] #358362
01/22/07 06:43 PM
01/22/07 06:43 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I think we all have been touched personally by this killer. Not only did we lose our dear friend PLaw, just a week ago I lost one of my cousins to cancer. I did contribute to the Cancer Society. Boy, I sure hope they find a cure for this horrible disease in my lifetime.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: exgigirl] #358442
01/23/07 04:03 AM
01/23/07 04:03 AM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
My VERY best friend got testicular cancer the last yr of high school (Very bad deal for a guy )

He became a way stronger person b/c of it and he says it's the best thing that ever happened to him.

He does a lot of philanthropic work through his radio show and has volunteered a LOT of his time w/ various fundraisers.

Some cancers are hereditary and some are PREVENTABLE diseases that will invade through lack of diet, exercise, and bad health habits in general. 'So take care of yourselves....and each other'.---jerry springer

To ALL of you who in this thread who have shared your experiences, thanks! Seriously, thats the way to stop this disease IMO. You have to tell ppl about your personal experiences and that will help motivate them to motivate others.

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: Ice] #358453
01/23/07 05:57 AM
01/23/07 05:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Ice

To ALL of you who in this thread who have shared your experiences, thanks! Seriously, thats the way to stop this disease IMO. You have to tell ppl about your personal experiences and that will help motivate them to motivate others.

Good idea, Ice.

I'll share two personal memories. Like your high school friend, I had testicular cancer, too. A week before my 30th birthday I built up enough nerve to visit my doctor. My left testicle had "grown" pretty substantially and even though there was no REAL pain I felt a "tugging" sensation in my groin. I mentioned it to my best friend at the time and he went home and told his wife about it. As luck would have it, she had just read an article about testicular cancer in the NY Times that very day. My friend brought the article to work the next day and after reading it I broke out into a sweat. I had every symptom listed.

Long story short, the testicle was removed (it was malignant) the same day I visited the urologist. That was 25 years ago. I've had no cancer since.

To the young men who may be reading this: I urge you all to check yourself on a regular basis. While taking a warm shower and the sack hangs a little looser, gently feel for any lumps. DO NOT be ashamed to do this. DO NOT be ashamed to ask questions. DO NOT be ashamed to go to your doctor if there is ANY doubt in your mind. (Ladies, forgive the frank talk but its very important, just as you would check your breasts for lumps).

Secondly, I lost my second wife to lung cancer some 13½ years ago. She hadn't been feeling well for a few months before we knew what she was up against. Once it was diagnosed (as a malignancy) she "went" mercifully quickly (in about 4 weeks). I don't know what we could have done differently but not a week has gone by since then that I wish we had done SOMETHING differently and EARLIER.

I'm at the age now where prostate cancer is a concern (my father had it). About ten years ago I had my first prostate checkup. I had searched for a new doctor then (no longer wishing to use the same doctor who treated my wife). I was embarrassed by the thought of some guy sticking his finger up my ass, so I actually searched for a woman doctor ( ) but not finding any to my liking (i.e. young and good looking) I settled on a guy doctor. As he was examining me he was asking me a bunch of questions. As I assumed the position and the finger went up he asked if I had ever had a homosexual experience. I quickly answered, "You mean besides THIS one?" (the doctor laughed and explained he had a "checklist" of questions that he always asked and it was just bad timing when that particular question came out).

My point for telling these stories is to share what most of you probably feel about this... EMBARRASSMENT. DO NOT let that get in the way of seeking professional medical advice!!

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: SC] #358457
01/23/07 06:17 AM
01/23/07 06:17 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
SC,
That's one of the funniest posts I've ever read; in a serious kind of way. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'll be going to the doctors soon.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: SC] #358461
01/23/07 07:44 AM
01/23/07 07:44 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Originally Posted By: SC
As I assumed the position and the finger went up he asked if I had ever had a homosexual experience. I quickly answered, "You mean besides THIS one?"

Thanks for sharing SC and I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember once there was a question posted here that if one would rather find a cure for AIDS or cancer. I remember choosing AIDS over cancer based on some logical explanation I had for myself back then, but I really had not realized how personal experiences can affect and alter one's opinion. I now think that's a silly question. If there's a chance to find a cure for any disease, we all should participate and there should be no preferences of such kind.

Meanwhile, in an era that we are surrounded with oxidant agents, we'd better alter our lifestyle to reduce the chance of getting cancer. Welcome anti-oxidant agents into your diet. For starters, drink a few cups of green tea everyday. I started this habit since yesterday. I just hope it is not too late, otherwise I really don't see that in myself to fight it.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: afsaneh77] #358483
01/23/07 10:09 AM
01/23/07 10:09 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the post, SC.

Ten years ago my father was diagnosed with colon cancer. He caught it early because he had regular checkups after having a bad bout of colitis in the 1970s. So he knew he was possibly going to face cancer.

Fortunately, his broyher is a retired surgeon with affiliations at the Cleveland Clinic and was able to get him an appointment with a former colleague, who was a leading physician in this area.

To make a long story short, his recovery was difficult, but complete. He is presently in great shape for a 73 year old and goes for check ups twice a year.

Re: Honoring PLAW and others [Re: klydon1] #358509
01/23/07 12:26 PM
01/23/07 12:26 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Sharing your stories IS the best way, and not taking the word of a doctor if you don't feel well. In 1974, my mother began to experience abdominal pain. She went from doctor to doctor, having test after painful test (today with ultrasound it would've been much easier and more detectable), all inconclusive. They finally concluded that it was all in her head.

She finally went to her OB/GYN, who told her that he had known her for years, that she wasn't a complainer, and that if she said she had pain, then she had something wrong with her. He scheduled her for exploratory surgery the very next week. Sure enough, she had cancer in one ovary. Luckily, it hadn't spread to the other, or to any major organs.

While the survival rate for ovarian cancer is still shockingly low, in 1974 it was a death sentence. Well, she is still here. All because she didn't go home with her tail tucked between her legs because doctors told her she was imagining her symptoms.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull