GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, BarrettM), 244 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,106
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,696
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anthony #356902
01/15/07 10:41 AM
01/15/07 10:41 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP
Sicilian Babe  Offline OP

New York
When Michael tucks Anthony into bed after the shooting, there are two things that stand out for me as a little "off" in that scene.

First, isn't it odd that, as a parent, Michael says absolutely nothing comforting to Anthony? I mean, there were just strangers shooting up the house! Plus, guard dogs running around, alarms shrieking, spotlights shining, and so on. Wouldn't a small kid be a little upset, and need Daddy to tell him it was going to be OK? Instead, they talk about his presents.

Also, would Michael really have wanted this life for Anthony, especially since someone just tried to kill him? If he was sincere about getting out of the life, would he have been manipulating Anthony??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Anthony [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356905
01/15/07 10:56 AM
01/15/07 10:56 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Very good point. It reflects the fact that Michael was void of any sense of paternal feelings or emotions. As Michael was cold and unfeeling, so too he expected this for Anthony, who was being raised to serve him.

Kay was rightfully upset when she confronted Michael about Anthony not being normal. Michael was confining him to an environment where the boy's only friends were buttonmen.

Re: Anthony [Re: klydon1] #356927
01/15/07 01:18 PM
01/15/07 01:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Good point. As the parent of six, I've had to comfort my kids on any number of occasions and about things much less threatening than being shot at. But Micahel was an imitation of Vito and a pale one at that. He had Vito's intelligence and cunning, but lacked Vito's real concern for his family.

On the oither hand, as I posted elsewhere, Vito "knows" that Sonny and Fredo would have to go through this. So, it's not surprising that Michael sees his son going though this also. So, in that regard, Vito and Michael share the same vision for their sons.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Anthony [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356934
01/15/07 02:47 PM
01/15/07 02:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
In the "Saga" version shown on TV, the scene with Michael and Anthony is shown before the shooting, which would change the human dynamics considerably. But Michael still says he's got to leave very early in the morning.
To me, the most significant part of thst sequence is when we see the kids being coddled by Kay and Connie. Kay absolutely stares daggers at Michael. If "I'm with you now, Pop" was Michael's turning point in GF, that stare was Kay's in GFII.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Anthony [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356952
01/15/07 03:26 PM
01/15/07 03:26 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
When Michael tucks Anthony into bed after the shooting, there are two things that stand out for me as a little "off" in that scene.

First, isn't it odd that, as a parent, Michael says absolutely nothing comforting to Anthony? Wouldn't a small kid be a little upset, and need Daddy to tell him it was going to be OK?

Actually when he first walks over to Anthony, if memory serves me correctly he strokes Anthony's head and tells him that everything is going to be ok.

That scene has always stuck out in my head because I always felt, being the parent of a boy and a girl, that I would have went on to comfort both my son and my daughter.

I believe that FFC not only wanted to "set up" the foundation for the possibility of a GFIII with Anthony a part of Michael's business, but also wanted to show us that Michael, the old school italian mafioso, was concerned more about his son than his daughter. Hence the later scene "was it a boy?"

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Anthony [Re: Don Cardi] #356960
01/15/07 04:06 PM
01/15/07 04:06 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, TB, I've always thought that the comtemptuous stare that Kay gives Michael after the shooting does not receive the attention it should. That stare lays the groundwork for the "Sicilian thing" scene.

On the other hand, Anthony seems mightedly composed for having endured machine gun fire. Under such circumstances, the last thing a kid needs is to see his parent disappear. I wouldn't have done it.

Re: Anthony [Re: olivant] #356964
01/15/07 04:37 PM
01/15/07 04:37 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Michael isn't thinking about what is best for his kids, he's thinking about what's best for the (crime) family.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Anthony [Re: klydon1] #357409
01/17/07 12:00 PM
01/17/07 12:00 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Very good point. It reflects the fact that Michael was void of any sense of paternal feelings or emotions. As Michael was cold and unfeeling, so too he expected this for Anthony, who was being raised to serve him.

Kay was rightfully upset when she confronted Michael about Anthony not being normal. Michael was confining him to an environment where the boy's only friends were buttonmen.

Yes but because of this harsh upbringing Anthony turns out to be a sissy boy tenor.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Anthony [Re: dontomasso] #357418
01/17/07 12:24 PM
01/17/07 12:24 PM
Gattone Offline
Wiseguy
Gattone  Offline
Wiseguy
I think this is one of those areas that separates a movie from reality. The story has to keep moving on, for the audience's sake, more than the characters, not just for time purposes but for the flow of the action. Had Michael spent any more time with Anthony in GF2, it would have been too touchy-feely for a drama.

I think you got hit by the thunderbolt
Re: Anthony [Re: olivant] #357435
01/17/07 04:09 PM
01/17/07 04:09 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant

Under such circumstances, the last thing a kid needs is to see his parent disappear. I wouldn't have done it.

No. You or I or any normal parent wouldn't have done it. But Michael's losing his sense of family because of his selfish controlling ways and his egotistical drive to be in complete power over his crime family is a major part of the plot of Godfather II.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Anthony [Re: Don Cardi] #357437
01/17/07 04:36 PM
01/17/07 04:36 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I have always been troubled by the way Michael asks Tom to tell him what "he" gave Anthony for Christmas "so I'll know." Keep in mind this was far from the first item on his agenda when he got back from Cuba.

When he sees the car abandoned in the snow, he knows that the kid probably didn't like the car, and that the kid probably knew that Michael really had nothing to do with giving it to him.
No wonder he went crying to his mama bout "losing my family."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Anthony [Re: dontomasso] #357453
01/17/07 06:47 PM
01/17/07 06:47 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
I love that scene between Michael and Mama. It was beautifully and subtly performed by both actors, and it shows the true difference between Michael and Vito. For Vito, as well as Mama, the loss of the family is inconceivable. To Michael, he sees it all slipping through his fingers, and is powerless to stop it.

Re: Anthony [Re: Sicilian Babe] #357457
01/17/07 07:53 PM
01/17/07 07:53 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I've always enjoyed how FFC went from that scene into the young Vito scene. After Michael talks to Mama about losing his family, the flashback goes to young Vito, who has now reached a point where he has begun to secure his family, both his blood family and his mob family.

Showing how the son was begining to lose and dismantle his family, and how the father was begining to secure and build his family.

Brilliant.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Anthony [Re: Don Cardi] #357476
01/17/07 09:32 PM
01/17/07 09:32 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline OP

New York
I was watching GF2 on Spike the other day with my daughter for the first time. She actually preferred the flashback scenes to the "Michael" scenes. She especially loved the scene with Signor Roberto.

Re: Anthony [Re: Sicilian Babe] #357479
01/17/07 09:58 PM
01/17/07 09:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I love that scene between Michael and Mama. It was beautifully and subtly performed by both actors, and it shows the true difference between Michael and Vito. For Vito, as well as Mama, the loss of the family is inconceivable. To Michael, he sees it all slipping through his fingers, and is powerless to stop it.

In that scene, mama was the last person who could have possibly stopped him. It's regrettable that she told him that you never lose your family. How many paid the price for that homily?

Re: Anthony [Re: Don Cardi] #357483
01/17/07 10:02 PM
01/17/07 10:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I've always enjoyed how FFC went from that scene into the young Vito scene. After Michael talks to Mama about losing his family, the flashback goes to young Vito, who has now reached a point where he has begun to secure his family, both his blood family and his mob family.

Showing how the son was begining to lose and dismantle his family, and how the father was begining to secure and build his family.

Brilliant.

Don Cardi

Great contrast, DC.

Re: Anthony [Re: olivant] #357486
01/17/07 10:15 PM
01/17/07 10:15 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Brilliant.

Don Cardi

Great contrast, DC.

Thank you Olivant.

You know, a couple of years back a good friend of mine from these boards once told me that the correct way to watch the Godfather II was in it's original form, and not in the chronological format.

He was 100% right. You cannot appreciate the artistic beauty of the side by side similarities and yet contrasting events of what's going on in Michael's life compared to what went on in young Vito's.

Again, it was pure brilliance by FFC.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Anthony [Re: Sicilian Babe] #357492
01/17/07 11:15 PM
01/17/07 11:15 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

Yes. It was as if they were having two different conversations. I always thought Mama responded to the question with a light heart as if she interpreted Michael's question literally. I agree that it was beyond her comprehension that a family could be broken and so the inquiry seemed ludicrous and almost comical to her.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull