GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 360 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,371
Posts1,059,524
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 #356136
01/11/07 12:56 PM
01/11/07 12:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11

President Bush addressed the nation on Iraq just as one of the reasons he believes we can win with more troops was completing a journey from Queens to Texas.

That reason is 23-year-old Patrick Dowdell, and he was on his way yesterday to report for duty as a newly commissioned second lieutenant in the United States Army. He was outside Dallas, driving south on Interstate 35 when Bush came on the radio.

Dowdell already lost his father at the World Trade Center, and many of us who adore him hoped the fighting in Iraq would be over before he finished West Point. The war was going from bad to worse as Bush delivered the commencement to Dowdell's graduating class back in May.

"I have confidence in the the final outcome of this struggle because I know the character and determination of the men and women gathered before me," Bush said that day. "We see that character and determination in a cadet named Patrick Dowdell."

Bush recounted how FDNY Lt. Kevin Dowdell had been helping his son with his application to West Point on the days before 9/11. Bush also spoke of how Patrick Dowdell had spent day after day with his father's surviving comrades down in the fiery ruins.

"Looking, looking for his dad - and thinking about the dream that they had shared about his future," Bush said.

The son had played a solo "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes at the father's funeral, his fingers steady, the notes unwavering in the face of his enormous loss. He proceeded just that way through the academy.

On meeting Dowdell at the graduation, Bush could only have felt all the more sure that such manifestly magnificent young soldiers must necessarily prevail. Bush mentioned him and cited his mother in particular in another speech four months later, as the war was going from worse to even worse.

That address to the nation marked the fifth anniversary of 9/11. Bush spoke of Rose Ellen Dowdell and her son Patrick and her younger boy James, who has followed his father into the FDNY.

The mother accompanied Patrick as he left the family's home in Queens yesterday morning and flew to Dallas. They caught a connecting flight to Oklahoma, where Patrick had done specialized training. They set off in his truck for Fort Hood in Texas.

As the time neared for Bush to unveil his new strategy, the Dowdells were on I-35, still two hours away from Fort Hood. Patrick checked the AM radio stations until he found a station planning to broadcast the speech.

"As long as I don't lose the signal, I'll listen," he said.

At 8 p.m. Texas time, the truck's cab filled with the voice of a President once more seeking to connect 9/11 and the war in Iraq. Bush said we can still succeed in Iraq if we commit more than 20,000 more of our finest Americans.

He did not mention the Dowdells this time, but one thing nobody could dispute was what he said about those who place themselves in harm's way:

"In these dangerous times, the United States is blessed to have extraordinary and selfless men and women willing to step forward and defend us."

Dowdell already had a clear position, no matter what new strategies Bush announced.

"He's the commander in chief," Dowdell said. "Do what he says."

Dowdell did not need some reporter pressing him for a personal opinion regarding his commander in chief's plan to prevail in a war many of us in New York believe is unwinnable. He does need our prayers and support, whatever we think about Iraq.

Today, Patrick Dowdell will report to the 4th Infantry Division. He is not entirely sure what he will be doing.

"I've never done this before," he said.

The unit only recently returned from Iraq, having suffered 135 fatalities, including such magnificent soldiers as 38-year-old Sgt. Bobby Mendez of Brooklyn, 23-year-old Sgt. Jose Gomez of Queens and 20-year-old Collin Mason of Staten Island.

Even with the Bush strategy, the 4th I.D. does not expect to go back to Iraq in the immediate future. But the unit can expect to return before there is a new commander in chief to obey.

"I'll go with them the next time," Dowdell said.

Originally published on January 11, 2007

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Not posting this article with any political intentions or looking to promote or dis the war, but I just wanted to share with those interested that this young man and his brother both worked for me before they went onto West point and the Fire Department respectively. Two very good hard working and respectful kids who have both grown up into two men that their father would have been very proud of.

Their father was a really honorable and decent man.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 [Re: Don Cardi] #356138
01/11/07 01:06 PM
01/11/07 01:06 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that the best quote I could've read regarding this latest plan is that the President is carrying out HIS plan. He is supposed to be a "public servant" and was supposedly elected to serve the will of his constituents. Well, his constituents have expressed their condemnation of this war, and have expressed their desire to be out of it, not to commit more troops.

I am certainly grateful to those that have volunteered to serve in the military. But I want them to come home. Let's commit the money that would be spent on fighting to alternative fuel sources, impose a tax on Hummers, Dodge Durango's and Yukon Denali's so that people might have an incentive to purchase a more fuel efficient vehicle, and get away from our dependence on the Middle East and its oil.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356142
01/11/07 01:55 PM
01/11/07 01:55 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Let's commit the money that would be spent on fighting to alternative fuel sources.....

... or on buying better voting machines in Florida before the next election.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: SC] #356147
01/11/07 02:36 PM
01/11/07 02:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
If we had had them, then we wouldn't have been able to hear the term "hanging chad"!

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356150
01/11/07 03:49 PM
01/11/07 03:49 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

impose a tax on Hummers, Dodge Durango's and Yukon Denali's so that people might have an incentive to purchase a more fuel efficient vehicle

Surprisingly typical. Tax, tax, tax.

Rather than tax people for these cars, why not institute more legislation that requires automakers to produce more fuel efficient cars in the first place, and instead of taxation, offer incentives to those who buy the fuel efficient cars.

Also, instead of taxation (which will continue to press down on domestic automakers and American jobs), why not also enact legislation to provide incentives for buying domestic cars, rather than put all of the money into Asia's pocket?

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 [Re: Double-J] #356190
01/11/07 04:44 PM
01/11/07 04:44 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Double J,
Actually, I think those are EXCELLENT ideas!! I think that people should be given an incentive to buy a hybrid, or some other fuel-efficient vehicle. And since I drive a Buick, I'm all for giving me an incentive to buy another one when my lease expires next year!!

However, I still believe that there should be some sort of DISincentive for someone who buys a gas-guzzling hog.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356195
01/11/07 05:14 PM
01/11/07 05:14 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Double J,
I think that people should be given an incentive to buy a hybrid,

Ford Mariner Hybrid - $29,000 + tax

A tax credit of UP TO $1950 If you meet the requirements. It's a credit, NOT a deduction. And you may only be able to take a portion of that credit depending on your tax bracket.

Ford Mariner (non hybrid) - $21,000 + tax

Where's the incentive? You do the math.

I realize that in the long run a hybrid vehicle will save the consumer X amount of dollars in gasoline, and will also conserve the use of gasoline. But the average consumer does NOT look at the big picture and instead wants to see an advantage from the get go. Why not give a tax deduction to those who purchase a hybrid vehicle? Or even sell them tax free? Some kind of instant incentive.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356197
01/11/07 05:19 PM
01/11/07 05:19 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

However, I still believe that there should be some sort of DISincentive for someone who buys a gas-guzzling hog.

There are two sides of that coin, both with pros and cons. On one hand, the purchase of these vehicles benefits the economy in general, but clearly, the negatives are their oftentimes quasi road-legality (lawsuits aplenty when a Hummer crushes a Ford Focus?), detrimental environmental impact, etc.

While I detest the power of Unions in America, and think that the American automakers (and the UAW) have been digging their own hole with egregious wages and laughable prices for mediocre products (I was looking at a new Chevrolet truck recently...90% of the thing is plastic). Couple that with their outsourcing to Mexico and China for parts manufacturing and vehicle assembly, and American automakers earn very little sympathy from me.

On the other hand - especially with the Chinese car expected sooner, rather than later - I'd like to see there be both incentives (be they tax or otherwise) for buying domestic cars, as well as more protectionist economic measures or tariffs on foreign builds. With regards to economic legislation (as abovementioned), research, and more importantly, feasible development and introduction into the consumer market, into alternative fuels and more efficient, environmentally friendly vehicles is imperative, and should be a priority in Washington, if for nothing else than to eliminate some of the foreign policy knots we're involved with in the Middle East.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: Don Cardi] #356198
01/11/07 05:21 PM
01/11/07 05:21 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Double J,
I think that people should be given an incentive to buy a hybrid,

Ford Mariner Hybrid - $29,000 + tax

A tax credit of UP TO $1950 If you meet the requirements. It's a credit, NOT a deduction. And you may only be able to take a portion of that credit depending on your tax bracket.

Ford Mariner (non hybrid) - $21,000 + tax

Where's the incentive? You do the math.

I realize that in the long run a hybrid vehicle will save the consumer X amount of dollars in gasoline, and will also conserve the use of gasoline. But the average consumer does NOT look at the big picture and instead wants to see an advantage from the get go. Why not give a tax deduction to those who purchase a hybrid vehicle? Or even sell them tax free? Some kind of instant incentive.

Exactly. These incentives should be both logical and also be a legitimate option for consumers. Otherwise, it is a dead horse, as you've pointed out.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: Sicilian Babe] #356204
01/11/07 05:43 PM
01/11/07 05:43 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
If we had had them, then we wouldn't have been able to hear the term "hanging chad"!

Hell, if we had them then, we wouldn't have to hear the name "Bush" anymore.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: SC] #356206
01/11/07 05:48 PM
01/11/07 05:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC

Another Pezzanovante. To tell you the truth, this guy here, moi, who voted twice for Bush, could not even stand watching him talk last night. I switched over to the Sopranos instead. More truth in that show than in his speech.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: Don Cardi] #356262
01/11/07 10:32 PM
01/11/07 10:32 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: SC

Another Pezzanovante. To tell you the truth, this guy here, moi, who voted twice for Bush, could not even stand watching him talk last night. I switched over to the Sopranos instead. More truth in that show than in his speech.

Don Cardi

I got the same feeling. I was expecting to see his nose grow through the screen. He also seemed to have lacked the same conviction he had back in 2003.

I watched the speech with my father, who would periodically just shake his head and say, "Mission Accomplished."

Anyway, I wish us the best.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: klydon1] #356265
01/11/07 10:42 PM
01/11/07 10:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: klydon1

He also seemed to have lacked the same conviction he had back in 2003.

That's exactly how I felt Klyd. No conviction whatsoever.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/ [Re: Don Cardi] #356270
01/11/07 11:00 PM
01/11/07 11:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Whatever the President says, the reality is that there is the possibility that more men and women will be sent into harm's way. We must hope and pray for their safety.

Re: New 2nd Lt. is son of firefighter killed on 9/11 [Re: Don Cardi] #356329
01/12/07 08:25 AM
01/12/07 08:25 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
[b]Not posting this article with any political intentions or looking to promote or dis the war, but I just wanted to share with those interested that this young man and his brother both worked for me before they went onto West point and the Fire Department respectively. Two very good hard working and respectful kids who have both grown up into two men that their father would have been very proud of.

Their father was a really honorable and decent man.
Don Cardi

What's that old phrase DC..."Lions led by donkeys"

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull