GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 96 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,652
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,169
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,873
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? #355872
01/10/07 11:53 AM
01/10/07 11:53 AM
St. Louis
Ace_Reutzel Offline OP
Button
Ace_Reutzel  Offline OP
Button
St. Louis
He puts some of the blame on Tom for not being a wartime consilerge, but did he realize his own limitations as a Don?

Ace

"There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don`t try to justify them, they can`t be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it."
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #355874
01/10/07 12:18 PM
01/10/07 12:18 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I believe Sonny overestimated his abilities although he probably realized that his father and Tom were smarter than he was.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: klydon1] #355875
01/10/07 12:37 PM
01/10/07 12:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think Sonny definitely realized he was not as smart as his father or brother, and that he might not be quite up to the job. I think that's why he snapped at Tom, out of frustration at his own limitations.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #355888
01/10/07 02:04 PM
01/10/07 02:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
In the novel, Sonny flat-out tells Tom and Michael that he knows he's not the man Vito was, but he claims he's as good as anyone short-term or some such. He also admits to Michael that he shot his mouth off at the Sollozzo meeting.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #355891
01/10/07 02:48 PM
01/10/07 02:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
In the deleted scene when Sonny goes into the Don's Office, after the Don is shot, Sonny stares at the Don's empty chair, and then instead of sitting in the Don's chair he sits in a chair on the side of the Don's desk.

This, to me, was symbolic in a couple of ways.

Sonny realized that the S**t had really hit the fan. He realized that there was a strng possibility that the Don would die. And I believe that his staring at the empty Don's chair and not sitting in it symbolized that deep down inside, he knew that he would never be the kind of Don that Vito was. Sonny choosing not to sit in that chair also symbolized the great respect that he had for his father. But he really knew that he could never fill the Don's shoes.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Don Cardi] #356036
01/10/07 07:24 PM
01/10/07 07:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I thinks he sits in that chair because it's close by and near the phone.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: olivant] #356048
01/10/07 08:41 PM
01/10/07 08:41 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant
I thinks he sits in that chair because it's close by and near the phone.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Don Cardi] #356058
01/10/07 09:25 PM
01/10/07 09:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Just like a cigar: sometimes a chair is just a chair.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #356261
01/11/07 10:24 PM
01/11/07 10:24 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Ace_Reutzel
... did he realize his own limitations as a Don?...

The answer is no, he didn't.

But to be fair to Sonny, he would've had neither the time nor the patience to sit around and ponder whether or not he was a good, bad, or adequate Don in comparison to his father. Thrust into this leadership role quite suddenly, he was doing in his opinion the best job he could, running the Family, avenging the attack on his father, and boinking Lucy any time he had an hour to spare.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: AppleOnYa] #356282
01/11/07 11:43 PM
01/11/07 11:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Keep in mind that Sonny was never the Don. He was temporarily in charge. That's quite different from being the Don.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: olivant] #356284
01/11/07 11:47 PM
01/11/07 11:47 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Olivant, I must respectively disagree with that. While Vito was incapacitated, Sonny actually was the acting Don. Even his own father aknowledged that :

"I thought -- Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace."

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Don Cardi] #356324
01/12/07 07:00 AM
01/12/07 07:00 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
His temper stopped him from being a good Don because he never stopped to think his actions through!
He justjumped ahead whilst the red mist was still down!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Don Cardi] #356391
01/12/07 12:35 PM
01/12/07 12:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Olivant, I must respectively disagree with that. While Vito was incapacitated, Sonny actually was the acting Don. Even his own father aknowledged that :

Don Cardi

On the other hand, as the novel states, Sonny recognized the Corleone weaknesses one of which was the eroded quality of the Capos. But, only the Don could replace them and Sonny was not the Don.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: olivant] #356392
01/12/07 12:54 PM
01/12/07 12:54 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant

Don Cardi

On the other hand, as the novel states, Sonny recognized the Corleone weaknesses one of which was the eroded quality of the Capos. But, only the Don could replace them and Sonny was not the Don.

Ahhh, but we are discussing what the average person knows from the film, and not the novel.

Ok, Ok, Touche!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Don Cardi] #356397
01/12/07 02:01 PM
01/12/07 02:01 PM
St. Louis
Ace_Reutzel Offline OP
Button
Ace_Reutzel  Offline OP
Button
St. Louis
]
but we are discussing what the average person knows from the film, and not the novel.
Don Cardi

Don Cardi, am I the average person you are referring to, cause my Momma always tells me Im more than just "average"...

I have read the novel many times, but doen't Vito say Sonny was a "bad Don" in the novel as well? I do not have my copy with me, nor do I recall if this line was in the novel.

Either way Sonny was the acting Don and I am not sure what he thought of his performance.

Ace

Last edited by Ace_Reutzel; 01/12/07 02:02 PM.

"There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don`t try to justify them, they can`t be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it."
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #356398
01/12/07 02:23 PM
01/12/07 02:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
]
but we are discussing what the average person knows from the film, and not the novel.
Don Cardi

Don Cardi, am I the average person you are referring to, cause my Momma always tells me Im more than just "average"...

I have read the novel many times, but doen't Vito say Sonny was a "bad Don" in the novel as well? I do not have my copy with me, nor do I recall if this line was in the novel.
Ace
He does, in greater detail actually. "I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Santino a bad Don, may his soul rest in peace. He had a good heart but he wasn't the right man to head the family when I had my little misfortune. And who would have thought that Fredo would become such a lackey of women ? So don't feel badly....."
Sorry DC, I know this belongs in the book thread

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: pizzaboy] #356399
01/12/07 02:27 PM
01/12/07 02:27 PM
St. Louis
Ace_Reutzel Offline OP
Button
Ace_Reutzel  Offline OP
Button
St. Louis
[/quote] He does, in greater detail actually. "I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Santino a bad Don, may his soul rest in peace. He had a good heart but he wasn't the right man to head the family when I had my little misfortune. And who would have thought that Fredo would become such a lackey of women ? So don't feel badly....."
Sorry DC, I know this belongs in the book thread [/quote]

So there shouldn't be an agument then, If The Godfather himself recognized Sonny as a Don then Sonny truly was a Don. I think Sonny knew that compared to his father he wasn't a Good Don. But Vito is a hard man to compare yourself to in the regard of Donship. I think Sonny knew that he was doing the best he could and didn't care what anybody else thought. But then again this is something I am very unsure of, which is why I posed the question on the board.

Ace

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #356400
01/12/07 02:35 PM
01/12/07 02:35 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I agree with DC on this matter. Vito refers to Santino as a Don in the book and in the movie. This made him a Don in my opinion, whether it was temporary or not.
The bottom line is that had Santino lived and Vito peacefully retired, Santino would have been formally named the Don. It would have been a mistake but that's neither here nor there.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: pizzaboy] #356401
01/12/07 02:39 PM
01/12/07 02:39 PM
St. Louis
Ace_Reutzel Offline OP
Button
Ace_Reutzel  Offline OP
Button
St. Louis
Very True pizzaboy. Many people forget that if Sonny would have lived, he would have been Don instead of Mike. Michael probably would have been named to a high ranking post or something but he wouldn't have been Don. Some people may disagree and say if Sonny lived Mike would have opted out of being Made into the "family" but I think Mike was in the moment he said "Im with you now, Im with you." So he would have been in the business Don or not.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #356402
01/12/07 02:45 PM
01/12/07 02:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yes, I agree. Had Santino lived, when Michael returned from Sicily, he would have been firmly entrenched in the Family business. I don't think it's possible to make up your mind to kill 2 men to avenge the shooting of your father, then just walk away from "the life".

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: pizzaboy] #356404
01/12/07 02:56 PM
01/12/07 02:56 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

I don't think Sonny thought he was a bad Don. I think he viewed himself as a different kind of Don. His father and brother were both smart, I think he knew he would never be on their level of intelligence. I think he felt that he would be able to compensate for that with his "strength". He wanted to go to war, he didn't want to sit and think out what the next plan should be, he thought he could just beat them rater than out think them, and to him that didn't make him any better or worse, just different than his father and brother.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #356405
01/12/07 03:04 PM
01/12/07 03:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
"Tattaglia's a pimp, he never could have out fought Santino"
Even in Vito's mind, when it came to a sheer knack for violence, Santino was hardly rivaled. However, when it came to the art of war, Santino was out maneuvered by Barzini. And ultimately, Barzini by Michael.

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: pizzaboy] #356426
01/12/07 03:32 PM
01/12/07 03:32 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
In the novel Sonny says Michael is the one most like his father.
In the movie, I think we see his insecurities and his recognition that he was not as cunning as his father. But overall I believe he thought he was a good Don....one example is when he is bragging to Tom about how he has a hundred button men on the street and how Sollozzzo will die if he shows his ass. When Tom doesn't seem pleased, Sonny is taken aback.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Did Sonny know he was a bad Don? [Re: Ace_Reutzel] #356485
01/12/07 08:47 PM
01/12/07 08:47 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
[/quote] He does, in greater detail actually. "I never thought you were a bad consigliere, I thought Santino a bad Don, may his soul rest in peace. He had a good heart but he wasn't the right man to head the family when I had my little misfortune. And who would have thought that Fredo would become such a lackey of women ? So don't feel badly....."
Sorry DC, I know this belongs in the book thread

So there shouldn't be an agument then, If The Godfather himself recognized Sonny as a Don then Sonny truly was a Don. I think Sonny knew that compared to his father he wasn't a Good Don. But Vito is a hard man to compare yourself to in the regard of Donship. I think Sonny knew that he was doing the best he could and didn't care what anybody else thought. But then again this is something I am very unsure of, which is why I posed the question on the board.

Ace [/quote]

Well, let's try this once again: "Sonny Corleone recognized these weaknesses in the Family's wartime posture but could not take any steps to remedy them. He was not the Don and only the Don could replace the caporegimes and the Consigliori."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull