GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 269 guests, and 46 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,202
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,978
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: Lavinia from Italy] #347694
12/04/06 10:17 AM
12/04/06 10:17 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I think she gives probably the worst performance EVER. Literally. At least in a major motion picture.

As I've posted before, I saw GF III in the theatres and, by the end, the crowd was laughing out loud at every one of her lines.

Kind of took the poignancy out of her death scene.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: The Last Woltz] #347770
12/04/06 02:32 PM
12/04/06 02:32 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I think she gives probably the worst performance EVER. Literally. At least in a major motion picture.

Close, but I think Eli Wallach saved her in the same movie.
Also the guy who co starred with John Wayne in the Green Berets was pretty bad...David Jansenn I think.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: dontomasso] #347782
12/04/06 02:55 PM
12/04/06 02:55 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz

Close, but I think Eli Wallach saved her in the same movie.
Also the guy who co starred with John Wayne in the Green Berets was pretty bad...David Jansenn I think.

Worst acting performance?

Bruce Jenner in Grambling's White Tiger

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: DonPucini] #347868
12/04/06 05:41 PM
12/04/06 05:41 PM
D
DonPucini Offline OP
Button
DonPucini  Offline OP
D
Button
and even more. i always liked every second i watched of GF until i saw three. and not just mary, but i didnt like the way michael died either, to me if he was such a great man, or so powerful Mario Puzo could've made him die at least in his bed. i just dont get what happened with III. maybe FFC and puzo lost their touch

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: klydon1] #347888
12/04/06 07:21 PM
12/04/06 07:21 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Thank you for pointing that out. Eli Wallach was terribly miscast.
Almost as laughable as Edward G Robinson in The Ten Commandments.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: pizzaboy] #347893
12/04/06 07:43 PM
12/04/06 07:43 PM
D
DonPucini Offline OP
Button
DonPucini  Offline OP
D
Button
dont forget Jen lopez in gigli, yeah not so good

Last edited by DonPucini; 12/04/06 07:44 PM.
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: DonPucini] #347897
12/04/06 08:29 PM
12/04/06 08:29 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: DonPucini
dont forget Jen lopez in gigli, yeah not so good

Hey, wait a second here. There WAS one part that I thought she was great in.

The part where she is strectching on the floor, talking to Affleck, giving an explaination of what a woman desires and ending it by using an explicit word describing a part of her anatomy.

A very sexy scene.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: Don Cardi] #347898
12/04/06 08:31 PM
12/04/06 08:31 PM
D
DonPucini Offline OP
Button
DonPucini  Offline OP
D
Button
well of course you'd like it

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: Don Cardi] #347903
12/04/06 08:41 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Ya know, I really wish people would get off this freaking dead horse. Sofia Coppolla did not do a real great acting job in GFIII. OK, fine, we get it. The movie is 15 years old now. Get over it.

You think Master Thespianess Winona Ryder, one of the great dramatic actresses of our age, would have done all that much better?? LMAO.

The part of Mary Corleone, as written, was simply not very interesting or complex a character.

Mary Corleone was supposed to be a spoiled, sheltered, rich brat, pampered by her mommy most of her life to keep her away from Gangster Daddy, who in turn overindulges her when he DOES get to see her, so needless to say Mary Corleone would probably have had a pretty oblivious "suburban princess" attitude, naive and not really very bright.

You ever hung around any 18-25 year-old "suburban princesses?" THEY ACT LIKE THAT. Like Valley Girls. "Like ohmigoddd, I am SOOO SUUUUURE!!" Shallow, vapid, selfish and not too bright. They believe in ponies and princes and Daddy buying them a new Corvette.

The biggest problem with the Mary Corleone character wasn't how Sofia Coppola played her -- it was a dull character to start out with.

"You did good."
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: DonPucini] #347904
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: DonPucini
well of course you'd like it

Wouldn't be a normal man if I didn't. No need for a roll of the eyes.

Now back to the topic at hand, I've posted this several times in the past, but I'll say it again; George Hamilton's acting in Godfather III made Sofia Coppolla look like an academy award actress. Don't know how, who or what possessed the casting director to cast Hamilton in that movie. I despise him in that movie.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: Don Cardi] #347905
12/04/06 08:44 PM
12/04/06 08:44 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Well, George Hamilton has about seven lines in the whole movie, how good or bad COULD he have been in it??

"You did good."
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: EnzoBaker] #347909
12/04/06 08:52 PM
12/04/06 08:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: EnzoBaker
Ya know, I really wish people would get off this freaking dead horse. Sofia Coppolla did not do a real great acting job in GFIII. OK, fine, we get it. The movie is 15 years old now. Get over it.

You think Master Thespianess Winona Ryder, one of the great dramatic actresses of our age, would have done all that much better?? LMAO.

The part of Mary Corleone, as written, was simply not very interesting or complex a character.

Mary Corleone was supposed to be a spoiled, sheltered, rich brat, pampered by her mommy most of her life to keep her away from Gangster Daddy, who in turn overindulges her when he DOES get to see her, so needless to say Mary Corleone would probably have had a pretty oblivious "suburban princess" attitude, naive and not really very bright.

You ever hung around any 18-25 year-old "suburban princesses?" THEY ACT LIKE THAT. Like Valley Girls. "Like ohmigoddd, I am SOOO SUUUUURE!!" Shallow, vapid, selfish and not too bright. They believe in ponies and princes and Daddy buying them a new Corvette.

The biggest problem with the Mary Corleone character wasn't how Sofia Coppola played her -- it was a dull character to start out with.

Thak you Enzo for your eloquence. You make the points that I've been trying to get across to some of these mamelukes.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: EnzoBaker] #347910
12/04/06 08:55 PM
12/04/06 08:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: EnzoBaker
Well, George Hamilton has about seven lines in the whole movie, how good or bad COULD he have been in it??

Enzo, don't care if he had three lines in the movie. The part was totally miscast as far as I am concerned. And Hamilton, with his "hollywood" tan did a God awful job playing the part.
Keep in mind that this part was supposed to be a 'replacement' part for the Tom Hagen character. They could have done much better than casting Hamilton for a part like that.

When they cast the part of Frank Pentangeli in GFII, that character was a 'replacement' for the Clemenza character. They did a great job casting Gazzo for that part. He was almost as likeable, if not more likeable, than the Clemenza character.

The same cannot be said for the part of Hamilton.

And what's with everyone rolling the eyes here in the last few posts? Maybe it's time for you all to go and have your eyes checked.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: Don Cardi] #347913
12/04/06 09:39 PM
12/04/06 09:39 PM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Enzo, don't care if he had three lines in the movie. The part was totally miscast as far as I am concerned. And Hamilton, with his "hollywood" tan did a God awful job playing the part.
Keep in mind that this part was supposed to be a 'replacement' part for the Tom Hagen character. They could have done much better than casting Hamilton for a part like that.

When they cast the part of Frank Pentangeli in GFII, that character was a 'replacement' for the Clemenza character. They did a great job casting Gazzo for that part. He was almost as likeable, if not more likeable, than the Clemenza character.

The same cannot be said for the part of Hamilton.

And what's with everyone rolling the eyes here in the last few posts? Maybe it's time for you all to go and have your eyes checked.

Don Cardi

Actually I think FFC knew what he was doing when he tapped Hamilton for the character -- he wanted somebody with an image of being an airhead pretty-boy to play the B.J. Harrison character, as he had done with Troy Hamilton playing Merle Johnson in GF II -- because he wanted to make the point that rather than going with a trusted, experienced guy who really knew what was going on, as he had with Tom Hagen, Michael was now entrusting the family's "legitimate" legal business to a guy who was all image, no substance.

My own feeling is they simply should have recast the part of Tom Hagen, if they couldn't re-sign Duvall to do it -- signed Michael Moriarity or I suppose maybe Ed Harris to play it (although Harris would have been too young). Gene Hackman could have carried it off too, although he probably would have wanted more money than Duvall to do it.

Last edited by EnzoBaker; 12/05/06 03:08 AM.

"You did good."
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: EnzoBaker] #347914
12/04/06 09:45 PM
12/04/06 09:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Whether Hamilton was FFC's first choice or not, I always thought that by casting Hamilton FFC was trying to emphasize Mike's efforts to go legit by employing a "white bread" lawyer that would appear white bread to the audience.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: pizzaboy] #347921
12/05/06 12:15 AM
12/05/06 12:15 AM
DonRoberto Offline
Wiseguy
DonRoberto  Offline
Wiseguy
Personally, I always thought Coppola was a horrible nepotist. I mean, talk about a movie about family! He's got like everyone related to him in the movie in one way or another. I am not sure how much the overall film quality suffered due to the fact that most of his family were amateurs, but I definitely find it hard to believe that there were no other qualified persons for the parts. If there is a Godfather remake, and they let Coppola touch it, I'm sure we will see Nick Cage and the next generation of Coppolas in it somewhere.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: DonRoberto] #347927
12/05/06 12:36 AM
12/05/06 12:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
He often refers to the trilogy as the biggest home movie of all time.
As far as him being a nepotist, I didn't hear anyone complain after the first 2 movies.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: pizzaboy] #347987
12/05/06 10:49 AM
12/05/06 10:49 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

He used his father to make the music which was outstanding, his sister Talia Shire to play connie, and she was also great. His daughter was a last minute replacement, and as I have said a billion times she wasnt all that horrible.

I agree Hamilton was miscast, but I think Coppola for whatever reason put B list actors in bit parts. The guy who played Merle was some 50's pretty boy whose stage mane escapes me (his real name was Merle. Anyone know who I am talking about?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: dontomasso] #347995
12/05/06 11:32 AM
12/05/06 11:32 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
He used his father to make the music which was outstanding, his sister Talia Shire to play connie, and she was also great. His daughter was a last minute replacement, and as I have said a billion times she wasnt all that horrible.

I agree Hamilton was miscast, but I think Coppola for whatever reason put B list actors in bit parts. The guy who played Merle was some 50's pretty boy whose stage mane escapes me (his real name was Merle. Anyone know who I am talking about?

His name was Troy Donahue although his real name is Merle Johnson.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: klydon1] #347998
12/05/06 12:13 PM
12/05/06 12:13 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: klydon1

His name was Troy Donahue although his real name is Merle Johnson.

YES!! thats it. I think it is some kind of inside joke of FFC to use Troy and George in these parts. He also used comedian Don Novello to play the press agent.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: dontomasso] #347999
12/05/06 12:18 PM
12/05/06 12:18 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
His nepotism is one of the things that I like about FFC!! He had family members who could fill the role, so he went with them. Why not?

As for casting Sofia, perhaps he was blinded by a father's love. What dad wouldn't be??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: pizzaboy] #348011
12/05/06 01:38 PM
12/05/06 01:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
John Wayne as Ghengis Khan may take the cake.

Re: Why Sofia Coppola [Re: olivant] #348014
12/05/06 01:44 PM
12/05/06 01:44 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
John Wayne as Ghengis Khan may take the cake.

His greatest line in that movie was to Rita Hayworth when he said:

"you look beautiful in your wrath."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull