GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Giacomo, Toodoped, Mafia101, Jimmy_Two_Times, 2 invisible), 411 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,085
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,374
Posts1,059,558
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
why Vincent??? #346636
11/28/06 05:31 PM
11/28/06 05:31 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Something about the movies has often puzzled me. Why does Vincent succeed Mike and not Sonny's other son (i only know of one, maybe there are more)? Where is Sonny's wife? It seems as though we, the audience, are purposely kept away from her and Sonny's children for a reason, but I can't quite make out why (if this is even the case)

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: why Vincent??? [Re: FrankWhite] #346669
11/28/06 05:54 PM
11/28/06 05:54 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
It is very puzzling. For the life of me I cannot understand why FFC didn't go for the Sonny's legitimate son angle. Truthfully there were so many different angles that FFC could have gone with.

Let's face it, he slapped that movie together for the $$$$.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: Don Cardi] #346670
11/28/06 06:05 PM
11/28/06 06:05 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
oh yeah... I understand, but it just hinders the whole trilogy, in my eyes. But, yeah, I guess you're right... must be the $

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: why Vincent??? [Re: FrankWhite] #346832
11/29/06 02:30 PM
11/29/06 02:30 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

If Sonny's widow was Tom Hagen's mistress, as has been suggested elsewhere, it may be that Michael didn't want Sonny's son to be too close to the family business. Also, I seem to recall there is a deleted scene in GFII where one of Sonny's daughters brings her fiancee to get Michael's blessing for their wedding. In that scene Michael advises the young man to finish a business degree, and the young man says something about having a lot of money. Michael then tells someone to make sure she gets a big dowry because he doesnt want the boy's family to think she comes from a poor family. So maybe with Sandra at the head of Sonny's family and Tom having an influence on the kids, they all became legit, thus leaving Vincent.

Last edited by dontomasso; 11/29/06 04:14 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: dontomasso] #346853
11/29/06 03:27 PM
11/29/06 03:27 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
ok... good explaination DonT. That's one that I can live with.

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: dontomasso] #346854
11/29/06 03:31 PM
11/29/06 03:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Actually, I think it was just a dramatic device that FFC chose. The unknown child that emerges from nowhere to eventually take the reins of the family is dramatic. Of course, for the audience, at least those who had read the novel, it was totally unexpected. For those who didn't read the novel, FFC arranges for Connie to introduce Vinny to Michael("... Sonny's boy." "Oh yeah, I forgot."

Last edited by olivant; 11/29/06 03:32 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: why Vincent??? [Re: olivant] #346984
11/30/06 12:32 PM
11/30/06 12:32 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
thanks Olivant. I agree, although I know that it's more dramatic, that doesn't make it logical. And it would seem unprobable, knowing Michael Corleone, that it would happen like that. oh yeah, is this the first time Michael ever sees Vincent???

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: FrankWhite] #346985
11/30/06 12:38 PM
11/30/06 12:38 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
oh yeah, is this the first time Michael ever sees Vincent???

No this is not the first time Michael has seen vincent. In the scene with Joey Zasa, Michael says he had offered Vincent the opportunity to work for him in the legitimate world, but that he (Vincent) chose not to, and that Zasa, out of the kindness of his heart gave him a job working for him.

Last edited by dontomasso; 11/30/06 12:51 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: dontomasso] #346990
11/30/06 12:45 PM
11/30/06 12:45 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
I thought so, but I was confused by olivant when she stated: "For those who didn't read the novel, FFC arranges for Connie to introduce Vinny to Michael("... Sonny's boy." "Oh yeah, I forgot."

what does this imply???

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: FrankWhite] #346996
11/30/06 12:58 PM
11/30/06 12:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Again, the introduction of Vinny to Mike by Connie was for the audience's benefit. If you read the novel, you could reasonably infer that Vinny was Sonny's and Lucy's son. If you didn't read it, then you'd wonder where this kid came from. All by itself, the introduction doesn't make any sense beacuse then, as posted above, Mike acknowleges that he knows Vinny.

Last edited by olivant; 11/30/06 12:59 PM.

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: olivant] #347001
11/30/06 01:13 PM
11/30/06 01:13 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
oh... ok... i guess that makes sense. thank you

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: olivant] #347003
11/30/06 01:19 PM
11/30/06 01:19 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
Again, the introduction of Vinny to Mike by Connie was for the audience's benefit. If you read the novel, you could reasonably infer that Vinny was Sonny's and Lucy's son. If you didn't read it, then you'd wonder where this kid came from. All by itself, the introduction doesn't make any sense beacuse then, as posted above, Mike acknowleges that he knows Vinny.

Olivant, I am not sure what you are talking about here. Vincent does not appear in the novel at all. He is purely a figment of FFC and Puzo's imagination in GFIII. If you look at the actual dialogue, Vincent is summoned to Michael's office after Zasa complaints about him. Connie comes in nwith vincent and the following dialogue takes place:

Connie - Micheal, You know Vincent, Sonny's boy.

Michael - Vincent - How you doin Mr. Corleone.

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: dontomasso] #347006
11/30/06 01:51 PM
11/30/06 01:51 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Since the novel details the relationship between Sonny and Lucy and since that relationship is illustrated in one of the more infamous scenes in the film, one could infer that Vinny was conceived as a result of that relationship.

It makes no sense for Connie to tell Mike that Vinny is his brother's son when a few minutes later Mike acknowleges that he previously offered Vinny a legitimate job. That introduction was for those in the audience who were not aware of the intimate relationship between Sonny and Lucy expressed or illustrated in either the novel or the film.

Re: why Vincent??? [Re: olivant] #347031
11/30/06 03:29 PM
11/30/06 03:29 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
Since the novel details the relationship between It makes no sense for Connie to tell Mike that Vinny is his brother's son when a few minutes later Mike acknowleges that he previously offered Vinny a legitimate job. That introduction was for those in the audience who were not aware of the intimate relationship between Sonny and Lucy expressed or illustrated in either the novel or the film.

I thnk you are right here. If anyone has followed the three movies, this would be a gratuitous line, especially in light of the fact that we see Vincent enter the party with Lucy Mancini (he uses the name) and we also see Mary saying she is his cousin, and finally we hear Zasa referring to him as "the one who says he's related to you --- a bastard." It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he was Sonny's boy....especially a minute later when Michael observes "temper just like his father's."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull