GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (British), 250 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,030
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,362
Posts1,059,315
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Robert Altman Dies at 81 #344681
11/21/06 01:05 PM
11/21/06 01:05 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline OP
Don Vercetti  Offline OP

Some anonymous motel room.
Still directing to the end of his life and the director of Short Cuts, one of the greatest films ever IMO. He just won the Lifetime Achievement award at the Oscars and mentioned he had a 20 or 30 year old woman's heart put in him. He's probably more well known here as the director of M*A*S*H.

1925-2006 RIP

Last edited by Don Vercetti; 11/21/06 01:06 PM.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: Don Vercetti] #344712
11/21/06 01:37 PM
11/21/06 01:37 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
FUCK.

This sucks. But yet, I shouldn't be surprised. The guy was 81 years old.

You know, a friend of mine that saw A PRARIE HOME COMPANION in theaters, and remarked it as "a movie to end a career on". Now he feels weird for having said that.

It sucks that he had another movie ready for shooting in the spring, much like David Lean and Sergio Leone croaked while ready to direct theirs.

Anyway, Altman was a great filmmaker, among the best of American cinema in the latter half of the 20th century. M*A*S*H, MRS & MRS MACABE, NASHVILLE, THE PLAYER(which I reviewed years back and really damn good), SHORT CUTS, you name it.

Now Sidney Lumet is on the death watch.

Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #344939
11/22/06 11:20 AM
11/22/06 11:20 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
I'll just add a movie that has not been remembered so far.

Gosford Park, another remarkable example of Altman's qualities.

Last edited by Lavinia from Italy; 11/22/06 11:23 AM.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: Lavinia from Italy] #344943
11/22/06 12:36 PM
11/22/06 12:36 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Thank you Lavi.

BTW, where's Capo? I figured he would have given us his quarters and vinegar on Altman by now.

Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #344963
11/22/06 03:26 PM
11/22/06 03:26 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
"Mr. and Mrs. Smith get married, they have problems, they get back together and they live happily ever after. End of the movie. Two weeks later, he kills her, grinds her body up, feeds it to his girlfriend who dies of ptomaine poisoning, and her husband is prosecuted and sent to the electric chair for it--but here's our own little story with the happy ending. What is an ending? There's no such thing. Death is the only ending."

- Robert Altman

I'm watching Short Cuts later today. I can't wait.

Last edited by DonVitoCorleone; 11/22/06 03:27 PM.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #344966
11/22/06 03:41 PM
11/22/06 03:41 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I posted on the film board, but I'll post further thoughts here.

Altman I think should be admired for his extraordinary use of sound primarily; nobody created such rich audio textures as he did. And his camerawork, a casual, free-roaming camera, helped accentuate that. I'd call him a master of what I call aesthetic texture; the narrative in his films comes and goes, but you never get a sense of fabrication. They never really begin, never really end; they're just in constant states of exposition. Worlds entirely involved with themselves.

RIP.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #344969
11/22/06 04:11 PM
11/22/06 04:11 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Thank god that greasy, talentless hack is gone. Good ridance.

Actually, this reminds me, I still need to see Short Cuts. I believe I've only seen two or three of his films, at most, all of which were fantastic. I wish I had explored further into his work before he passed, though. May as well do it now... especially with the influence I understand he had on PT Anderson (although, I see more Scorsese than anyone... I'll have to re-assess after I hit up a few more Altman films).

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: long_lost_corleone] #345019
11/23/06 12:22 AM
11/23/06 12:22 AM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

Actually, this reminds me, I still need to see Short Cuts. I believe I've only seen two or three of his films, at most, all of which were fantastic. I wish I had explored further into his work before he passed, though. May as well do it now... especially with the influence I understand he had on PT Anderson (although, I see more Scorsese than anyone... I'll have to re-assess after I hit up a few more Altman films).

PTA himself spoke of how he told Altman on their first meeting that all he (PTA) does is rip Altman off. Altman liked what he saw and had PTA help him on one of his films.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: Puppeteer] #345020
11/23/06 12:34 AM
11/23/06 12:34 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I was never a fan of Robert Altman's films. His style was a bit 'surreal' for me.

I saw a bit of 'Nashville' a few months ago...thought it was kind've wierd, although Henry Gibson's character was a real hoot.

Anyway, RIP.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: AppleOnYa] #345074
11/23/06 09:26 AM
11/23/06 09:26 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
I was never a fan of Robert Altman's films. His style was a bit 'surreal' for me.
Surreal?

Or original?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #345204
11/23/06 11:48 PM
11/23/06 11:48 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Original? Perhaps...and he's definitely to be credited for that.

But still...surreal in my opinion.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Robert Altman Dies at 81 [Re: Puppeteer] #345212
11/24/06 01:45 AM
11/24/06 01:45 AM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Puppeteer
Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

PTA himself spoke of how he told Altman on their first meeting that all he (PTA) does is rip Altman off. Altman liked what he saw and had PTA help him on one of his films.

Yeah, on the Boogie Nights commentary (which is superb, may I interject), PTA makes several comments in that he just stole exact shots from Altman and Scorsese. Now, I may have only seen but two Altman films, but I'd say Boogie Nights was about 95% Scorsese. Not that it lessens the film for me, I absolutely love it. But I mean, come on Boogie even had the same ending as Raging Bull.

Magnolia, from what I understand, is the child of heavy Altman influence.

I wish I could find Short Cuts someplace near by.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull