GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JGil916), 402 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,533
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
what are Mike and Sollozo saying? #340205
11/06/06 01:02 PM
11/06/06 01:02 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Does anyone know (1) what Mike and Sollozo are saying during the meeting w/ McClusky and (2) why there are no subtitles?

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: FrankWhite] #340211
11/06/06 01:54 PM
11/06/06 01:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Actually, they are arguing over the veal. Sollozzo tells McCluskey that it's the best in the city, but Michael takes issue with that. Michael prefers the Vealbucks down the block.

More actually, Sollozzo tells Mike that he has alot of respect for his father, but that Vito has not kept up witht he times. They don't say much really.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: olivant] #340217
11/06/06 02:56 PM
11/06/06 02:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
This question has been asked many times before. If you use the "search" function for these boards, you'll probably find a direct translation of the dialog.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: FrankWhite] #340219
11/06/06 02:59 PM
11/06/06 02:59 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
oh... again, my apologies for the redundancy

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: FrankWhite] #340220
11/06/06 03:01 PM
11/06/06 03:01 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Frank, We love when a new member of the board raises questions, even if they've been asked before. You never know when you'll ask that one question that makes everyone say "Ah!! I never thought of it that way!".

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #340312
11/06/06 07:53 PM
11/06/06 07:53 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Welcome to the BB Frank. I hope you enjoy you're stay with the BB Family.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Mignon] #340317
11/06/06 08:50 PM
11/06/06 08:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Frank, another member, a friend here on the GangsterBB, JUST LOU, found the translation for us a while back :

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
According to IMDB.com, here is what was said:
"I am sorry. What happened to your father was business. I have much respect for your father, but your father... his thinking is old fashioned. You must understand why I had to do that. Now let's work through where we go from here." After Mike comes out of the restroom Sollozo speaks Italian again without subtitles this time saying, "Everything all right? I respect myself, understand? And cannot allow another man to hold me back. What happened was unavoidable. I had the unspoken support of the other Family Dons. If your father were in better health, without his eldest son running things, no disrespect intended, we wouldn't have this nonsense. We will stop fighting until your father is well and can resume bargaining. No vengeance will be taken. We will have peace, but your family should interfere no longer."

I see that you joined way back in January of this past year. Are you a born again Godfather Fanatic? (just joking)

If you have any other questions, then perhaps, as one of our most valued friends here Turnbull suggested, you should try and familiarize yourself with the search function that has been provided here. I am sure that you will find some really interesting and insightful posts from the past.

And if you come across an old post that interests you and you have a new opinion or a different view about what is being discussed in it, then please feel free to revive that post by just replying to it with a post of your own.

If there ever comes a time where you cannot seem to find an answer through the search function, to a question that you may have, then please feel free to just ask us right here.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #340319
11/06/06 08:59 PM
11/06/06 08:59 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
However...even with the availability and convenience of the 'search' function, I think it's always more enjoyable to simply put out the question even if taking the risk that it's been asked before.

After all, at this point it's extremely rare that someone can manage to bring up a topic that's NEVER been discussed. So why not allow the ever-growing member ship to have their fun without always referring to (either politely or impolitely)... the 'search' alternative.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: AppleOnYa] #340423
11/07/06 07:45 AM
11/07/06 07:45 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
So why not allow the ever-growing member ship to have their fun without always referring to (either politely or impolitely)... the 'search' alternative.

Apple

I agree that we must always be willing to understand that a new person is going to bring up something that has been asked or discussed in the past. Being new, there is no way for them to
know if their question has ever been brought up before.

You know that I've made that exact point many times before.

However the suggestion to use the search function was not one made soley with the intent of doing away with repeat questions. It was made more with the hopes that if a new person finds a past post that addresses their question, they will reply to that old post and revive it by provoking some new insight into the subject matter. There was no malice intended, by either myself, or by Turnbull, in suggesting the use of the search function for the new member.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #340501
11/07/06 01:43 PM
11/07/06 01:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I couldn't have said it better, DC--thanks!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Turnbull] #340630
11/07/06 03:52 PM
11/07/06 03:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I hoped that we could come together and reason as reasonable people. And as a reasonable person, Apple is willing to do everything she can to make that happen. of course, we must have strict assurances that as time goes by and Apple's sense of self-esteem becomes stronger, will she attempt any type of revenge? Not being lawyers, we do have to provide assurances.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #346769
11/29/06 02:39 AM
11/29/06 02:39 AM
DonRoberto Offline
Wiseguy
DonRoberto  Offline
Wiseguy
I used the search function...it took me to this page...lol. That clip from the IMDB seems incomplete, as Sollozo can be heard to reference the "Tattaglias" in his pre-restroom speech to Michael.

Last edited by DonRoberto; 11/29/06 02:58 AM.
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: DonRoberto] #346790
11/29/06 05:53 AM
11/29/06 05:53 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Well, now we've seen firsthand how "quirky" the new BB search feature is. It takes a little getting used to, to say the least.

To add a little to the discussion: yes, the translation is not complete. I know at one point in the conversation, Sollozzo says to Michael (in Italian) "I am a man of honor."

If I can track down links to any of the earlier discussions, I'll post them here.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: FrankWhite] #346794
11/29/06 08:42 AM
11/29/06 08:42 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
Does anyone know (1) what Mike and Sollozo are saying during the meeting w/ McClusky and (2) why there are no subtitles?

.]

Sollozzo : "What happened to your father was business -- I have much respect for your father -- but your father -- his thinking is old fashioned. You must understand why I had to do that"

Michael : "I understand those things."

Sollozzo : "Now let's work through where we go from here."

Michael : "How do you say."

Then Michael speaks in english and goes to the men's room. When he comes out the conversation continues in Italian :

Sollozzo : "Everything all right? I respect myself -- understand? -- and cannot allow another man to hold me back. What happened was unavoidable. I had the unspoken support of the
other Family Dons. If your father were in better health, without his eldest son running things, no disrespect intended, we wouldn't have this nonsense. We will stop fighting until
your father is well and can resume bargaining. No vengeance will be taken. We will have peace, but your family should interfere no longer...."

This is a rough translation from Don Malta's GF website. I actually believe that Signor Vitelli is correct in that when Sollozo says, in Italian, that he respects himself, the real translation is that he is man of honor. I also believe that in the movie, when Michael comes back from the mens room, the translation to "Everything all right?" does not include a translation for the Italian word that he says in that sentence, "Med" or "Meda" (don't know correct spelling) which translates to the english word shit.

But for the most part, Don Malta's website translation is pretty close to what is actually being said in Italian.

Note: I've always get a kick out of the translation in the subtitles when Luca is talking with Bruno Tattaglia and the offer of $50,000 is made to Luca. In the movie he responds in Italian : "Mingya" but the subtitle translates it to "Wow" or something like that. That Italian does not mean wow.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #346809
11/29/06 10:51 AM
11/29/06 10:51 AM
DonRoberto Offline
Wiseguy
DonRoberto  Offline
Wiseguy
This seems pretty similar to the IMDB translation posted earlier. Again, the missing translation seems to be Sollozo's words after the waiter returns the second time (with a plate of something). Sollozo may indeed state "now lets work through where we go from here", but before-hand, he can be clearly heard to reference "Bruno Tattaglia" in his speech and what sounds like the latin cognate verb for "to help".

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: DonRoberto] #346811
11/29/06 11:01 AM
11/29/06 11:01 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I may be repeating myself here (a condition that seems to manifest itself increasingly with each year that goes by), but I believe that we cannot hear Sollozzo's words well on purpose. When Michael returns to the table and the El train is going by (and we can see how close it truly is, thanks to Signor V's photos), I think that the noise of the train drowns out his words as a way of reflecting Michael's emotions at the time. He knows that he is about to shoot the guy in the next 30 seconds, so would he really be listening to what Sollozzo has to say? His nerves are jangling, and I think that the roar of the train represents perfectly the noise inside Michael's head.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #346816
11/29/06 12:03 PM
11/29/06 12:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Good point. I too think that the train is purposefully drowning out the conversation to reflect Mike's concentration on what he is about to do.

Byt he way, it's merda.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: olivant] #346945
11/30/06 02:45 AM
11/30/06 02:45 AM
DonRoberto Offline
Wiseguy
DonRoberto  Offline
Wiseguy
I think at one point, Sollozo suggested he give Mike a kiss on the mouth and a little somethin' extra and that is when Mike stood up and shot him.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: DonRoberto] #346986
11/30/06 12:40 PM
11/30/06 12:40 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: DonRoberto
I think at one point, Sollozo suggested he give Mike a kiss on the mouth and a little somethin' extra and that is when Mike stood up and shot him.

Huh?!?! was that a joke (please tell me it was)?

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #346988
11/30/06 12:41 PM
11/30/06 12:41 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite

.]

Note: I've always get a kick out of the translation in the subtitles when Luca is talking with Bruno Tattaglia and the offer of $50,000 is made to Luca. In the movie he responds in Italian : "Mingya" but the subtitle translates it to "Wow" or something like that. That Italian does not mean wow.

Don Cardi

DC, if you would, what does "Mingya" mean???

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: FrankWhite] #346992
11/30/06 12:47 PM
11/30/06 12:47 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Well it's sort of a slang word. In essence the use of it by Luca in response to the offer of $50,000 was the proper response, a response that resonated a "wow, that's a pretty nice ampount of money."

But I cannot post what the word is mostly used for, in slang of course.

PM sent.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #346995
11/30/06 12:53 PM
11/30/06 12:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Are you sure about that? I remember Luca just saying Bene.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: olivant] #347000
11/30/06 01:13 PM
11/30/06 01:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant
Are you sure about that? I remember Luca just saying Bene.

I could swear that he says Mingia. Perhaps I have always misunderstood, or perhaps you are thinking of the edited version.
Now you have me wondering. I'll have to watch the scene and listen very closely.

Between you and Turnbull, you both now have me rewatching GF and GFII!

Not a bad thing though. I don't mind at all

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #347007
11/30/06 02:09 PM
11/30/06 02:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think it's just his pronunciation. He pronounces the final e in bene as a long e.

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: FrankWhite] #347020
11/30/06 02:26 PM
11/30/06 02:26 PM
DonRoberto Offline
Wiseguy
DonRoberto  Offline
Wiseguy
Frank:
Yes, that was meant to be a joke, but since I never liked the Sollozo character much, I wouldn't put it past him.

In reference to the "Mingya" comment: I am not sure how many versions of the movie are circulating, but the one which I retain sounds like Luca says "Bene", and my subtitle reads "Not Bad!".

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: DonRoberto] #347026
11/30/06 02:38 PM
11/30/06 02:38 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: DonRoberto
In reference to the "Mingya" comment: I am not sure how many versions of the movie are circulating, but the one which I retain sounds like Luca says "Bene", and my subtitle reads "Not Bad!".

I have never had any doubt that Luca says "Bene." I have two uncut versions - one I taped ages ago from HBO and one that was shown a few months ago on TCM. Also, I have the Saga that was shown a few years ago on Bravo. He says the same thing in all three versions I have.

It also doesn't make any sense to me that Luca would say something offensive to Tattaglia and Sollozzo at that point. His whole intention at the meeting is to play along with them and, in Vito's words, find out "what they have under their fingernails."

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: olivant] #387873
04/23/07 04:12 PM
04/23/07 04:12 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Good point. I too think that the train is purposefully drowning out the conversation to reflect Mike's concentration on what he is about to do.

Byt he way, it's merda.

I always thought it was.... perfect for what he wanted to do... noisy train drowns out gunshots to people outside

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: what are Mike and Sollozo saying? [Re: Don Cardi] #387875
04/23/07 04:15 PM
04/23/07 04:15 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

[quote=Just Lou]According to IMDB.com, here is what was said:
"I am sorry. What happened to your father was business. I have much respect for your father, but your father... his thinking is old fashioned.

Everytime I watch this scene... this part has so much emphasis.... Solozzo says something like "MA! TU PADRE!... STA VAN DIQUE" <- I know its wrong... I am sounding it out... it seems to bother Mike

Last edited by The_ScarFather; 04/23/07 04:15 PM.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull