GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Irishman12, Lou_Para, thebarber, 2 invisible), 275 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,483
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,909
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,755
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
French don't believe in America #25938
12/15/02 05:59 PM
12/15/02 05:59 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline OP
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline OP
Underboss
New York
My GF DVD in French starts with the second line "I made my fortune in America" instead of the famous "I believe in America."

I don't know french well, hence my use of the language option as practice. But I am sure of this on my DVD. Is something wrong with my DVD? I just can't believe this ommision! It must be intentional because the opening is so famous!!!!??? I can't even begin to imagine that this is some French political decision?!!

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: French don't believe in America #25939
12/16/02 06:47 AM
12/16/02 06:47 AM
The Netherlands
sveta van gaal Offline
Capo
sveta van gaal  Offline
Capo
The Netherlands
As much as I think the French can be arrogant I really doubt that this ommission is/was deliberate....Perhaps you should write to Paramount and complain wink lol who knows? there could be a replacement disc in it for you grin

I just went to check mine and unfortunately I only have English, Norweigian, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Swedish on mine....

Re: French don't believe in America #25940
12/16/02 02:01 PM
12/16/02 02:01 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
Originally posted by sveta van gaal:
I just went to check mine and unfortunately I only have English, Norweigian, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Swedish on mine....
but those are subtitles. DonsAdvisor did you mean subtitles or resynchronized (I believe "dubbed" is the expression)????

Re: French don't believe in America #25941
12/16/02 03:54 PM
12/16/02 03:54 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline OP
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline OP
Underboss
New York
I mean the audio, the dubbed version in French - the option in which one hears French spoken in approximate syncronization with the movement of the actors' lips. The DVD I'm referring to has 3 audio options 1) English 2) French 3) FFC Commentary. It also has subtitles in English only.

When I listen to the DVD in French, the first thing I is something like "jai fait ma fortune en amerique" (sp?) which is the second line "i made my fortune in america" instead of "i believe in america" ..

As you have a different version, I hope someone that bought it in North America replies.

Re: French don't believe in America #25942
12/16/02 04:05 PM
12/16/02 04:05 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
I hope someone that bought it in North America replies.
Well, this is a really interesting one, DonsAdvisor:
I selected French as the language and, as you said, Bonasera's voice didn't say, "I believe in America"--the first thing he said in French was "L'Amerique, elle a faite ma fortune" ("America has made my fortune"). But then I turned on the English subtitles. While the screen was still dark, before Bonasera's face and voice showed up, a subtitle appeared saying, "I believe in America." Then Bonasera appeared, saying, "America has made my fortune."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: French don't believe in America #25943
12/16/02 05:18 PM
12/16/02 05:18 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
[b]I hope someone that bought it in North America replies.
Well, this is a really interesting one, DonsAdvisor:
I selected French as the language and, as you said, Bonasera's voice didn't say, "I believe in America"--the first thing he said in French was "L'Amerique, elle a faite ma fortune" ("America has made my fortune"). But then I turned on the English subtitles. While the screen was still dark, before Bonasera's face and voice showed up, a subtitle appeared saying, "I believe in America." Then Bonasera appeared, saying, "America has made my fortune."[/b]
but can you also hear Bonasera say it (in French), something like "je croire en l'Amerique" ??

Re: French don't believe in America #25944
12/16/02 07:35 PM
12/16/02 07:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No. The first thing he says is "L'Amerique, elle a faite ma fortune." It follows the subtitle, "I believe in America."

Re: French don't believe in America #25945
12/16/02 07:54 PM
12/16/02 07:54 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline OP
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline OP
Underboss
New York
Turnbull/Pherdy..

I see/hear the same thing that Turbull describes. The second sentence is "America has made my fortune" (I miswrote it above). First, the screen is black when Bonasera utters "I believe in America" (also on my VHS tape). Then the picture begins showing Bonasera and he continues talking. In the french version, I never hear the first line.

Re: French don't believe in America #25946
12/17/02 03:46 PM
12/17/02 03:46 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
weird weird weird, well I've checked our (Dutch) version out, and the only audio options we have is English and Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola, so no French or German......

Re: French don't believe in America #25947
12/19/02 10:21 AM
12/19/02 10:21 AM
Paris, France
Almammater Offline
Underboss
Almammater  Offline
Underboss
Paris, France
"weird weird weird" to quote Pherdy. What have they done to the US DVD version ??? confused

I can only speak for the French DVD which has English and French subtitles. I've checked both the French version and the French subtitles and they differ slightly but the first sentence is not missing :

- said : "J'ai confiance en l'Amérique. L'Amérique, elle a fait ma fortune."

- subtitles : "J'ai confiance en l'Amérique. L'Amérique a fait ma fortune."

What is weird for me in the French version is that the cannoli became canneloni eek which is absolutely ridiculous !!! I first saw GF on French TV when I was a kid and that's the thg that upset me the most ! Not the killings or Sonny's fits of anger but the canneloni !!! [Linked Image] So the famous line, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" became "Laisse le flingue et prend les canneloni" rolleyes

And many years later I was very surprised to learn that Coppola himself had supervised the French version, how could he have missed that ??? confused

"Come heavy or not at all." Uncle Junior to Tony S.
"Nenti dire ca nenti si capi" come disse quello. (Say nthg when U know nthg.)
"Chi non ci vuole stare, se ne vada." (If U don't like it here, go somewhere else.)
Re: French don't believe in America #25948
12/19/02 05:32 PM
12/19/02 05:32 PM
Nederland
Michael Corleone 14 Offline
Underboss
Michael Corleone 14  Offline
Underboss
Nederland
Originally posted by Almammater:
And many years later I was very surprised to learn that Coppola himself had supervised the French version, how could he have missed that ??? confused
I guess it had something to do with politics or sommin'.

"I won't be a man like you." - Michael to Vito, orginal Part II ending
Re: French don't believe in America #25949
12/20/02 01:16 AM
12/20/02 01:16 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
[QB So the famous line, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" became "Laisse le flingue et prend les canneloni" rolleyes

[/QB]
Well, at least they left the lasagna at the wedding party. wink

Re: French don't believe in America #25950
12/20/02 01:40 PM
12/20/02 01:40 PM
Roma
M
Mussolini Offline
Wiseguy
Mussolini  Offline
M
Wiseguy
Roma
"weird weird weird" to quote Pherdy. What have they done to the US DVD version ??? confused

I can only speak for the French DVD which has English and French subtitles. I've checked both the French version and the French subtitles and they differ slightly but the first sentence is not missing :

- said : "J'ai confiance en l'Amérique. L'Amérique, elle a fait ma fortune."

- subtitles : "J'ai confiance en l'Amérique. L'Amérique a fait ma fortune."

What is weird for me in the French version is that the cannoli became canneloni eek which is absolutely ridiculous !!! I first saw GF on French TV when I was a kid and that's the thg that upset me the most ! Not the killings or Sonny's fits of anger but the canneloni !!! [Linked Image] So the famous line, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" became "Laisse le flingue et prend les canneloni" rolleyes

May be that's just how the French call the cannoli: Canneloni. After all, Fettucine as called in America, is called Tagliatelle in France and Belgium. And i watch a lot of French movies and they are usually accurate in their translation and subtitles; except for a few alteration here and there so the word could make sense in French. But i doubt that it would be a mistake.

"The end justifies the means"
Re: French don't believe in America #25951
02/06/03 09:28 PM
02/06/03 09:28 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I could say alot about the French but I will refrain. I believe it was intentionally left out.
They are not "pals" with Sicily and never have been. I personally do not think that France deserves the devine gift of The Godfather. They may have back Chocolate if they wish. Italy/Sicily and France never had good relations.

(this was not intended for people of french decent but for those French who dislike Italians.)

Sinceramente,

Don Ferro

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull