GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, Lou_Para), 330 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,663
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CLOSED THREADS #339114
11/02/06 12:18 PM
11/02/06 12:18 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
In the past week, two threads, one begun by me and another begun by Don Cardi were closed at the "request[s] of the originator."
My Thread which was intended to provoke replies decried Rush Limbaugh's attack on Michael J. Fox as well as what I considered a racist ad run in Tennessee against Senate Candidate Harold Ford.

DC's thread had to do with John Kerry's comments connecting a lack of education and getting stuck in Iraq. DC ran the AP story, and then added his own provocative commentary which included something about Kerry being a disgrace.

These are topics of great public interest, and they invite debate and disagreement. The pro Limbaugh people claimed he was taken out of context, the pro Corker people said the ad was not racist and disavowed it, and Kerry claimed he "botched a joke."
Frankly none of those explanations passed the smell test for me, but still there is a lot of room to go back and forth on these issues without the kinds of outrageous nonsense that some people insist on inserting into these debates. The Gangster BB is one of the more civil places to go on the internet, and the real shame here is that for some the intent is always to be abusive and over the top.

I have, as have others from time to time, become heated in my commentary, but that is the extent of it. After being criticized for calling right wingers "wingholes" I stopped using the word even though I did not deem it a personal attack on any member.
It is regrettable that we cannot have spirited discussions and arguments on controversial topics. In my thread someone posted a photograph of a disfigured black man and blamed slavery and the civil war on "democrats." In DC's thread the personal attacks got totally out of control, and I do not blam him for asking that it be shut down.

It is even more regrettable to see this has spilled over to the Godfather film threads when newcomers get ridiculed because they are asking questions that some long term members have already dealt with. Personally, I always enjoy it when some newbie brings up some question about the Tahoe hit because inevitably Turnbull will provide some really good insight into who killed the hitters, why Michael went to see Roth, etc.

I do not know what the solution to this is because we need to balance free speech with common sense. Until we come up with something, people, just cool down, make your point, and by all means disagree. Just cut out the personal attacks and the irrelevant and mean spirited nonsense.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339122
11/02/06 01:08 PM
11/02/06 01:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
In the past week, two threads, one begun by me and another begun by Don Cardi were closed at the "request[s] of the originator."
The Gangster BB is one of the more civil places to go on the internet, and the real shame here is that for some the intent is always to be abusive and over the top.

Just cut out the personal attacks and the irrelevant and mean spirited nonsense.

Well said DonT, well said!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339130
11/02/06 01:32 PM
11/02/06 01:32 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...I do not know what the solution to this is because we need to balance free speech with common sense..

Then there is NO solution. Not when posters who call other posters 'jerk' end up with about 4 warnings in the same thread.

Well said or not, I find it interesting that you happened to reach out on this topic, having begun your own 'topic of great public interest'...by stating you don't know how Republicans, male or female, can look themselves in the mirror.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339133
11/02/06 01:38 PM
11/02/06 01:38 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Yes and the 2nd post by SC told the whole story on what it would turn out to be:

My crystal ball says this one'll be a doozy.

and to further the point on starters of posts how about this poster on a 2nd post on a topic he started:

I have absolutey no respect, wahtsoever, for anyone who bashes a soldier who is out there fighting for his life, and fighting to protect the lives of the same scumbags, scumbags like John Kerry, who undermine them every chance that they get.

What a piece of shit.

Yes, these things do matter and they do set the tone of how people will respond.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: AppleOnYa] #339134
11/02/06 01:45 PM
11/02/06 01:45 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
...I do not know what the solution to this is because we need to balance free speech with common sense..

Then there is NO solution. Not when posters who call other posters 'jerk' end up with about 4 warnings in the same thread.

Well said or not, I find it interesting that you happened to reach out on this topic, having begun your own 'topic of great public interest'...by stating you don't know how Republicans, male or female, can look themselves in the mirror.

Or how you call the followers of Rush immoral
Quote:
and if that provides an excuse to point out the immorality of Rush and his followers, I am always pleased to take the opportunity to stir the pot.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: AppleOnYa] #339147
11/02/06 02:01 PM
11/02/06 02:01 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa

I concur Apple. How can one wonder why this is happening and yet not realize their thread(s) exemplifies the problem?

Furthermore, this has been going on for quite some time. My signature is evidence enough for that.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Double-J] #339150
11/02/06 02:11 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Um, just taking a stab here, but maybe DT did realize it, and is trying to make things better. I could be wrong, but I thought I would just throw that into the mix.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: fathersson] #339152
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: fathersson

I have absolutey no respect, wahtsoever, for anyone who bashes a soldier who is out there fighting for his life, and fighting to protect the lives of the same scumbags, scumbags like John Kerry, who undermine them every chance that they get.

What a piece of shit.

Yes, these things do matter and they do set the tone of how people will respond.

I was the one who made that statement. And I still stand by it.

And for you to imply that I am just as guilty as those who make direct and personal attacks is very misleading. In doing so you fall right into the category of those who are guilty of, to quote DonT, posting "irrelevant nonsense."

Seriously, and I don't intent this as a personal attack on you or your character, there was a time when you used to make some excellent contributions to these boards. A time when you debated and discussed the issues without any nonsensical bullshit. But more and more it seems like all you intend to do when you make a post is to incite discord amongst the members, without adding anything of substance to the discussion.

The undertone of what your wrote in your reply in this topic is exactly what DonT was talking about hoping to do away with in these discussions.

In your desire to create more controversey, you've managed to ignore everything that DonT was trying to say.

I sincerely hope that one day you'll graduate from being just another member of the Brat Pack, to an elite member of The Breakfast Club.

So "until we meet."

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Double-J] #339153
11/02/06 02:14 PM
11/02/06 02:14 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Double-J
[quote=AppleOnYa][quote=dontomassoMy signature is evidence enough for that.

I don't think you're transparent.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339154
11/02/06 02:15 PM
11/02/06 02:15 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
My Thread which was intended to provoke replies

Yes, PROVOKE :to excite or stimulate to action. to arouse to anger or passion.
Well, you got what you wanted....anger and passion all right.

"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Sicilian Babe] #339179
11/02/06 02:31 PM
11/02/06 02:31 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Um, just taking a stab here, but maybe DT did realize it, and is trying to make things better. I could be wrong, but I thought I would just throw that into the mix.

Maybe.

Then again, maybe he just likes to stir the pot one second, and then cry 'wolf' the next.

For more information, see Fathersson's reply.

Originally Posted By: klydon1
[quote=AppleOnYa][quote=dontomassoMy signature is evidence enough for that.

I don't think you're transparent.

I don't claim to be innocent by any means. Rather, I simply think that if a discussion is designed for just that, discussion, healthy discussion (such as DT's Israel thread or my Hiroshima one) it will turn out fine and free of garbage.

When it is purposefully intended to incite a (negative) reaction and twinge at those who disagree, then its going to end up as a (deserved) clusterfuck.

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

I sincerely hope that one day you'll graduate from being just another member of the Brat Pack, to an elite member of The Breakfast Club.

Was this...necessary (as Don Vito would paraphrase)?

After all, just because some of us haven't attended a meeting ( not that anyone seems to care) doesn't mean we're not longtime members, or should be excluded or treated differently. Cliques suck, especially on message boards.

Furthermore, I think the whole debate problems are vicious cycles, largely because of the fact that people still argue the same crap and we're tired of posting well-thought rebuttals that have already been posted long ago but largely ignored (i.e. 9/11 conspiracy threads), thereby eliciting the sardonic or aggressive responses.

Regards,
Double-J

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339182
11/02/06 02:32 PM
11/02/06 02:32 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss

Yes it is my opinion that YOU set the tone:

scumbags, scumbags like John Kerry, who undermine them every chance that they get.

What a piece of shit.

and now you even let it be known that you think the Breakfast Club is better then the rest huh...yea right

The joke is that you want an open forum, but you want to micro-manger ever poster and every repley, spelling and content.

Gee Cardi...how many people have you battled with over the last year or two? No wonder people don't post.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: fathersson] #339190
11/02/06 02:44 PM
11/02/06 02:44 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
While I usually take a very harsh stance on many issues, I agree with fathersson.

I merely reply to what has been presented and I get slammed for not agreeing. When I call people on it, I'm some how making an "attack." (Jesus Christ, if you think that the "j work" is an attack, I'm sorry, you need help. I mean that in all sincerity)

So I catch someone doing it and people don't like my methods. Fine. At least I can defend my viewpoint in a logical manner.

btw, JJ, you're a poopey head

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

Double-J: may you serve us better from above, smile on from heaven

"Buh-Bye"
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Mad Johnny] #339193
11/02/06 02:50 PM
11/02/06 02:50 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Mad Johnny

Libertarian!

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Double-J] #339201
11/02/06 02:57 PM
11/02/06 02:57 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
Snotty nosed snot face!

Officially the victim/target of the first and third Non-Aggression Pact attacks #2 is Fathersson # 4 is Double-J

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006

"Buh-Bye"
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Double-J] #339216
11/02/06 03:05 PM
11/02/06 03:05 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

After all, just because some of us haven't attended a meeting ( not that anyone seems to care) doesn't mean we're not longtime members, or should be excluded or treated differently. Cliques suck, especially on message boards.

Off topic for a second -

You brought up something that appears to be a sore point among a few members and I'd like to address it.

You're right.... cliques DO suck. There's a comeraderie (sp?) that comes about from meeting others face-to-face that sometimes translates into what others see as a clique. Once you've met someone in the "real world" and have had time to talk to them about day-to-day things in their life and get to know them better you become more relaxed in conversing with them on the boards. Thats natural.

I understand that those who haven't met others off the boards may feel left out in some of these conversations. Thats natural and thats unfortunate. I'd like to point out, though, that all these big get-togethers have been advertised well in advance of the times that they took place. All members were invited to join. I know many cannot travel distances, or perhaps the cost involved doesn't fit their budgets, but I'll tell ya that NOBODY is being excluded on purpose and to make comments to that effect is being unfair.

As a longtime member here your presence is valued but don't make the mistake of thinking you're being treated differently because you haven't attended any of these "sitdowns".

OK.... back to topic. Continue beating each other up.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Mad Johnny] #339220
11/02/06 03:07 PM
11/02/06 03:07 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

Can we leave the third grade humor out of this?

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: SC] #339233
11/02/06 03:12 PM
11/02/06 03:12 PM
Mad Johnny Offline
BANNED
Mad Johnny  Offline
BANNED
Um, until people learn how to chill... no

"Buh-Bye"
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Mad Johnny] #339237
11/02/06 03:15 PM
11/02/06 03:15 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Um, until people learn how to chill... no

Thats your choice, and since you're not breaking any rules by posting that crap you have every right to do so. As a personal comment, though, you're making yourself look bad.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: SC] #339251
11/02/06 03:39 PM
11/02/06 03:39 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: SC

Can we leave the third grade humor out of this?

I don't mind the "third grade humor" so much, but it needs to be clear what it is and taken into context. In this case, he was just playing around, which is fine when it's clear that's what he's doing. The use of smilies, for instance, would make such comments clearer. And also considering the reaction, it's apparent that it wasn't a personal attack.

While we should respect each other, we still are allowed to have some fun. I don't enjoy suspending/banning members, but those are the ones who don't listen/learn, and don't give a crap. So while we don't all need to like each other, that fact shouldn't cloud our minds when we're posting replies to that person -- especially in controversial threads.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: J Geoff] #339254
11/02/06 03:52 PM
11/02/06 03:52 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

And BTW - I wasn't implying that SC or anyone else thought that MJ's comment was a "personal attack" at all, I was speaking in general. Upon re-reading it, it may seem otherwise, so sorry if it came across that way.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339256
11/02/06 03:54 PM
11/02/06 03:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It is even more regrettable to see this has spilled over to the Godfather film threads when newcomers get ridiculed because they are asking questions that some long term members have already dealt with.

I agree, dt. I've said before that newcomers should be reminded to use the "search" function. But I don't object at all when they ask familiar questions because once in a while, someone comes up with a new twist on the old question--and someone else comes up with a viewpoint or explanation that we haven't seen before.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu รฏยฟยฝ sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339257
11/02/06 03:58 PM
11/02/06 03:58 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Humor is always welcome, as long as it "good".
I would have to think about this last one tho....Nah it sucked.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: fathersson] #339282
11/02/06 04:18 PM
11/02/06 04:18 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Humor is always welcome, as long as it "good".
I would have to think about this last one tho....Nah it sucked.

*DING DING* WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: fathersson] #339318
11/02/06 05:27 PM
11/02/06 05:27 PM
NY
NYC Goodfella Offline
Button
NYC Goodfella  Offline
Button
NY

Yes it is my opinion that YOU set the tone:

scumbags, scumbags like John Kerry, who undermine them every chance that they get.

What a piece of shit.

and now you even let it be known that you think the Breakfast Club is better then the rest huh...yea right

The joke is that you want an open forum, but you want to micro-manger ever poster and every repley, spelling and content.

Gee Cardi...how many people have you battled with over the last year or two? No wonder people don't post.

I am not attempting to create any arguing, dislike or disharmony with any of you here. I have not really been an active poster here, so I really don't know many of you the way that you seem to all know each other. But I must share the observation that I have made from reading all of these posts. And I hope that my post will be read with an open mind.

By using those adjectives, I believe that Don Cardi was setting the tone to draw some interest and discussion about the topic itself. I honestly don't see that he made a personal attack or directed those words at another member here. I also cannot see where he ever said that some members were better than others. So I must respectfully disagree with the way that you have made an attempt to paint what Don Cardi said as just another attack on these boards. Over in another thread a direct attack was made on Don Cardi by a member who straight forward called him a jerk. Yet you did not even bother to address that member for his direct attack on Don Cardi in the same manner that you did here for something Don Cardi said that was not as direct and blatant as that other attack. In truth, I have to believe that by your constant references to Cardi's posts, by your cute little jabs in your replies and by your adaptation of his name in your signature, that you have a strong dislike for Don Cardi. And if you do, that's fine. That is your business. However, putting personal dislikes aside for a moment, you should at least remain consistant in your posts about your disliking personal attacks being made, no matter what member makes them. If you really believed in that strongly about doing away with the attacks and personal insults, then you would address any and all members who do those things, regardless of if you liked them or not. Plus you go on to accuse some members here of favoring certain members over other members. But when you really look at how and when you chose to post your feelings here, you are really the one that is guilty of favoring some members over others. You actually proved it in the way that you reacted to one member, who didn't attack another member, and in your non-reaction to another member, who really did make a direct attack on a member.

As I said at the begining of this post, it is not my intention to start any fights or to instill any bad feelings with others on these boards.

A CowArd Dies a 1000 deaths, a Soldier dies but Once
Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Mad Johnny] #339376
11/02/06 07:27 PM
11/02/06 07:27 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Snotty nosed snot face!

Arse faced arse head! Mblah TIMMAH!

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Double-J] #339426
11/02/06 09:45 PM
11/02/06 09:45 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Snotty nosed snot face!

Arse faced arse head! Mblah TIMMAH!

It's only funny the FIRST time. Now let it go.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: dontomasso] #339498
11/03/06 08:36 PM
11/03/06 08:36 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
NYCGOODFELLA I am not saying that Cardi is attacking another board member.

Let me make this as clear as I can.

If you are bitching about something and you use shit words when you post then you can't be surprised when everyone else does the same thing. Calling anyone a piece of shit is doing just that. He set the tone of name calling.

and for the record. I call them as I see them.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: NYC Goodfella] #339512
11/03/06 10:40 PM
11/03/06 10:40 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi; from the "John Kerry Insults Soldiers" thread

What a piece of shit.

Originally Posted By: NYC Goodfella

By using those adjectives, I believe that Don Cardi was setting the tone to draw some interest and discussion about the topic itself. I honestly don't see that he made a personal attack or directed those words at another member here.

If you are bitching about something and you use shit words when you post then you can't be surprised when everyone else does the same thing. Calling anyone a piece of shit is doing just that. He set the tone of name calling.

Let me add my own 2ยข .....

I personally don't have an issue with John Kerry (even if he looks like Herman Munster and he did say something INCREDIBLY stupid about our soldiers) but I think any public figure (especially a politician) is fair game for our remarks.

With that in mind, I follow NYC Goodfella's logic that remarks made against these figures can provoke some interest. I also agree that I can't see any personal attack made against a fellow member (in Don Cardi's post).

Now, I follow fathersson's train of thought, too, BUT there's something very important to note about that... regardless of how heated the subject matter gets no personal attacks AGAINST A FELLOW BOARD MEMBER will be allowed.

Quite frankly, I'm getting real tired of making that point and can't for the life of me understand why some members here don't get that. Ignorance may be bliss but those offending members who make a personal attack against another member will be finding their bliss elsewhere.

Re: CLOSED THREADS [Re: Mad Johnny] #339520
11/03/06 10:52 PM
11/03/06 10:52 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I merely reply to what has been presented and I get slammed for not agreeing. When I call people on it, I'm some how making an "attack." (Jesus Christ, if you think that the "j work" is an attack, I'm sorry, you need help. I mean that in all sincerity)

Stop your whining already. Its wearing thin, much like the third grade jokes in half your replies.

I've spelled out the reasons why what you said was a personal attack (a few times). I will not repeat myself. I advise you to follow the same course of behavior. I will not warn you again.

Capiche???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull