GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Big_Tuna93, Malavita, Turnbull), 590 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25755
10/20/02 02:53 AM
10/20/02 02:53 AM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline OP
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline OP
Underboss
New York
The wedding guests and party just disappear and everything is cleaned up outside the Mall when Don Vito, sons and Johnny Fontaine depart for the hospital on Connie's wedding day. A good reason to delete that scene!

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25756
10/20/02 12:48 PM
10/20/02 12:48 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
I still think that's one of the deleted scenes most likely to have been in the original movie.

It gets us to know who Genco is. In Vito's life, he's a very important person. In the novel he gets some attention, yet in the movie trilogy hardly any! Only the Senza Mama scene, really...

also, it shows how the term "godfather" for Vito is used in practice, and also how feared Vito was, for Genco is asking him to stay with him and scare of death!!!

another good point of it is that it reflects the disturbed relationship between just-got-out-of-war-Michael and I-want-you-to-work-for-me-why-did-you-turn-your-back-on-me-Vito... after his fathers shooting Michaels transformation, basically the main plot in the entire Godfather movie, starts and his love for his old man takes over his distancy from his family.

Now, the first bit of the scene is bad, I agree. the entire compound is empty, everyone's gone, Brando doesn't look nearly as good as in the Bonasero scene (that's my opinion, it's probably the hat) and the only dialogue in it is "how's your American friend going to get home?" or something... they should have let that out, and put the actual hospital scene in!

it sure's a shame for both Genco as the guy who played him in that scene, he was cut out! wink

btw, DonsAdvisor, I like your signature!! mad NO eek

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25757
10/22/02 09:39 AM
10/22/02 09:39 AM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Originally posted by DonsAdvisor:
The wedding guests and party just disappear and everything is cleaned up outside the Mall when Don Vito, sons and Johnny Fontaine depart for the hospital on Connie's wedding day. A good reason to delete that scene!
Good observation, DonsAdvisor. But...
For about one second in that scene, before the camera closes in on Michael and Vito, we see a pan of Vito's limo just inside the compound's gate, with a chain lying across the entrance. The parking area is empty, but decorations are still in the trees and on the gates. We see very little of the rest of the area where the party was held, so it's possible that the cleanup crew was still working. Also, the dusk is deepening at that point. Since it's August, it could be as late as 7:30 or even 8 p.m., so that the guests could have departed considerably earlier, leaving at least some time for the cleanup to begin.
That deleted scene is one of the best for all the reasons Pherdy pointed out.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25758
10/22/02 03:06 PM
10/22/02 03:06 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
Originally posted by Turnbull:

That deleted scene is one of the best for all the reasons Pherdy pointed out.
thanks Turnbull. but wouldn't it be fair to think a wedding party would last until late in the night? I know the bride and groom were off, but still? aren't Italian weddings big party's throughout the evening? Just a question...

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25759
10/22/02 09:31 PM
10/22/02 09:31 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline OP
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline OP
Underboss
New York
Turnbull, I looked at the scene again, and I did see a little debris in the background. Your theory is possible, but still unlikely and I think it would better demonstrate Vito's character by showing that he interuppted his day to visit Genco. When I read the book, Puzo's opening vignettes were trying to convey Vito's character. Vito is a man who would miss part of the wedding to see Genco. At the hospital, Genco himself was especially honored to see vito on the day of his daughter's wedding. If it looks like Vito waited until all was done, it takes away from the specialness of the visit.

Also, where I object to the 'scene' I mean just the shot of the Corleones departing the Mall, not the hospital shots.

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25760
10/23/02 01:12 AM
10/23/02 01:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
DonsAdvisor and Pherdy: I don't disagree with you. It's more likely that the wedding party and/or the cleanup would still have been going on at the time of day that the scene was portrayed. I'm just trying to find a possible explanation for what we see.
BTW: The novel handles the scene this way: "It was nearly twilight before the wedding cake was shown, exclaimed over and eaten....The Don politely sped [emphasis added by me] his guests' departure, noting meanwhile that the black sedan with its FBI men was no longer visible. Finally, the only car left in the driveway was he long black Cadillac with Freddy at the wheel..."

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25761
10/23/02 12:12 PM
10/23/02 12:12 PM
RollingStone Offline
Made Member
RollingStone  Offline
Made Member
Wasnt there a scene where we see Genco's wife and duaghters inteh hallway also that was deleted

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25762
10/23/02 12:21 PM
10/23/02 12:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Originally posted by RollingStone:
Wasnt there a scene where we see Genco's wife and duaghters inteh hallway also that was deleted
That detail was in the novel, not in the deleted scene.

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25763
10/23/02 12:32 PM
10/23/02 12:32 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
yes its in the novel together with the nurse staring at Johnnie Fontane . . . grin

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25764
10/31/02 09:30 AM
10/31/02 09:30 AM
Da Bronx
BronxKing Offline
Underboss
BronxKing  Offline
Underboss
Da Bronx
[Linked Image] The Genco scene was worth being in the flick in spite of all the tiny details. The Don's scenes with Mike and the touching dialogue bedside were unparalleled in the deleted scenes category IMHO.

Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.
Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25765
10/31/02 12:44 PM
10/31/02 12:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Originally posted by BronxKing:
[Linked Image] The Genco scene was worth being in the flick in spite of all the tiny details. The Don's scenes with Mike and the touching dialogue bedside were unparalleled in the deleted scenes category IMHO.
Very true, BK! It also provided critical context for Hagen's accession as consigliere, and Michael's estrangement from his family (thus adding power to his transformation to Don).

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25766
11/01/02 03:43 PM
11/01/02 03:43 PM
Amsterdam
Pherdy Offline
Underboss
Pherdy  Offline
Underboss
Amsterdam
so, since the movie could not have been 4 or 5 hours when released, what scene(s) would you want to see deleted if the Genco scene was actually in the original draft?

Re: Extra scene going to Genco Bedside #25767
11/01/02 07:42 PM
11/01/02 07:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Originally posted by Pherdy:
so, since the movie could not have been 4 or 5 hours when released, what scene(s) would you want to see deleted if the Genco scene was actually in the original draft?
Uh, why don't you ask a difficult question, Pherdy? wink
If I had to take out one scene to make room for the Genco deathbed scene, I think I'd remove the scene where Carlo beats up Connie. It's brutal, and it's unnecessary, since we got the point about his wife-beating habits the first time, when Sonny came up to her apartment and saw her with the bruises and fat lip. If the setup for Sonny's execution simply consisted of Connie calling Mama (maybe showing her puffy face again) it'd probably be enough.
Bear in mind: I'm not complaining about that scene, just making an accommodation.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull