GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mobcleve), 235 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,680
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GFR - Altered Setup #278934
01/20/05 01:46 AM
01/20/05 01:46 AM
South Jersey
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen Offline OP
Made Member
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen  Offline OP
Made Member
South Jersey
Not sure if most are familiar with Puzo's use of Godfather characters in The Sicilian, where Michael and Vito are just minor characters, background characters, that only come into the story once and a while.

A thought crossed my mind...

What if GFR had been done this way, focusing more on the rise of Geraci rather than skipping around to the multiple different storylines? I thought some may favor it, but I personally wouldn't. I enjoyed parts of Michael's story, and I definetly enjoyed Tom and Fredo's stories. Geraci, in the end, comes off as an underdeveloped and two-dimensional character, in my mind.

Do you think the book would have been better if it focused more directly on Geraci with the rest of the known Corleone family characters as simple background elements?

"By the way, I admire your pictures very much."
- Tom Hagen
Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278935
01/20/05 02:08 PM
01/20/05 02:08 PM
Providence, Rhode Island
DonGenco Offline
Button
DonGenco  Offline
Button
Providence, Rhode Island
Winegardner, all in all, is a good writer-however, the more he stayed away from the original characters, the better the book would have been. I don't think that any of the characters were portrayed acurately in his book. If the book concentrated more on Geraci, and the original characters were only minor, I think that it would have been much more satisfying.

"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string. Senator Corleone; Governor Corleone."
-Don Vito Corleone to his son, Michael
Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278936
04/11/05 01:38 PM
04/11/05 01:38 PM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista_Tom_Hagen:
Not sure if most are familiar with Puzo's use of Godfather characters in The Sicilian, where Michael and Vito are just minor characters, background characters, that only come into the story once and a while.

A thought crossed my mind...

What if GFR had been done this way, focusing more on the rise of Geraci rather than skipping around to the multiple different storylines? I thought some may favor it, but I personally wouldn't. I enjoyed parts of Michael's story, and I definetly enjoyed Tom and Fredo's stories. Geraci, in the end, comes off as an underdeveloped and two-dimensional character, in my mind.

Do you think the book would have been better if it focused more directly on Geraci with the rest of the known Corleone family characters as simple background elements?
I just didn't find this guy's character that compelling. It seems like a waste of creativity to have this guy complete law school training and be relegated to "working the docks," so to speak.

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278937
04/12/05 09:36 AM
04/12/05 09:36 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I couldn't give to sh!ts about Geraci. He's nothing! He was never mentioned in the original book, the movies... anything! He should have never existed!

Winegardner could have built a Geraci-like character out of a minor character that appears in the movies or the book... someone who we know. Someone who has a face. It could have been someone as small as an extra in the movie or the book. Winegardner could have built his backstory, made him fit into the Godfather universe. Geraci sticks out like a sore thumb. Geraci was a bore, and any more time spent on him would have made the book even worse... and that's almost impossible!

There were many other directions Winegardner could have gone in, but it appears to me that he took the worst possible route in TGR.

Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278938
04/13/05 07:43 PM
04/13/05 07:43 PM
TheSicilian123 Offline
Underboss
TheSicilian123  Offline
Underboss
Nope theres a worce way. I was reading the back of my "The Fortunate Pilgrim" book and the cheif editor at random house said
"Some were dismissed on account of inadvisable plot lines. (Michael Corleone falls in love with a Native American activist. Or, the Corleone women take over thee family business. Or, Sonny Corleone didn't really die)"
Well IDK about you but I think it would be very hard to explain how a bullet riddled Sonny C. dug himself out of a confin and six feet up

If you had any fucking heart at all you'd be out stealin'! Joe Pecsi
Turn that thing off! You should be out stealing! Lefty
You put up and shut up, you hear nothing you say nothing! Just like you did for Bugsy! -Noodles
Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278939
04/14/05 09:38 AM
04/14/05 09:38 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I read that article in the back of The Last Don the other weekend. Other than the "Sonny still alive plot," I would like to see any of those other plots put in a book over the one we actually got in TGR.

Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278940
04/14/05 09:47 AM
04/14/05 09:47 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
This is foolishness. How in the world could it be that Sonny didnt die? Was it all a bad dream?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: GFR - Altered Setup #278941
04/16/05 11:02 PM
04/16/05 11:02 PM
Providence, RI
M
Moscarelli Offline
Capo
Moscarelli  Offline
M
Capo
Providence, RI
Yeah, it begins with Sonny in a shower, advertiseing soap (just for you Dallas fans )

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull