GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 265 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278913
01/15/05 03:57 PM
01/15/05 03:57 PM
MN
J
JDunn9232 Offline OP
Wiseguy
JDunn9232  Offline OP
J
Wiseguy
MN
First time here...glad to see such a bunch of enthusiasts like myself.

Had reserved GFR at the local library a couple of weeks ago and finally got it Monday night. I had read some decent media reviews and was excited to start. I actually enjoyed the very beginning with Tessio's execution, but man did the thing spiral downhill after that.

I can even deal with a couple of minor continuity problems, but this guy took it upon himself to change the very nature of the major character. Who can read the original novel, see the films and then expect to believe Michael flying Kay to Tahoe for a picnic lunch, then making out with her in some empty movie theater like a high school kid. Ugh...Michael was cold as ice by the end of the first film...this book made it seem he was visited by the Queer Eyes for the Straight Guy or something.

Am I to assume this guy had the best story for this book? Nobody else EVER submitted anything better? Bla.

Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278914
01/15/05 05:45 PM
01/15/05 05:45 PM
South Jersey
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen Offline
Made Member
MistaMista_Tom_Hagen  Offline
Made Member
South Jersey
Quote:
this book made it seem he was visited by the Queer Eyes for the Straight Guy or something.

you put it perfectly

btw, welcome to the boards

"By the way, I admire your pictures very much."
- Tom Hagen
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278915
01/16/05 03:25 AM
01/16/05 03:25 AM
Providence, Rhode Island
DonGenco Offline
Button
DonGenco  Offline
Button
Providence, Rhode Island
Thank you, Winegardner is a name that, hopefully, will make all Godfather fans kringe like what the name Hitler does to jews. He completely miswrote almost every character in some way. I am trying desperately to forget everything i read in the book.
It was a good book though, I'll admit, if the author created his own characters and didn't have to interupt Puzo's. I mean, Kay grabbing Michael's crozh and saying "Behold...wood!" lmfao! c'mon, innocent little kay adams???

I sure hope that Puzo is rolling around in his grave.

"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string. Senator Corleone; Governor Corleone."
-Don Vito Corleone to his son, Michael
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278916
01/17/05 04:16 PM
01/17/05 04:16 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Well... Coppola to some extent did the same, miswrote Puso's characters. That's inevitable when another man tries to develope characters created already, that's why no sequel matches the original. This guy does not only that. He is vulgar in every line! Even if he created his own story, with such a language - it would be unbearable anyway. Of course, I read only one chapter, but it made me sick.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonGenco:
I mean, Kay grabbing Michael's crozh and saying "Behold...wood!" lmfao! c'mon, innocent little kay adams???
WHAAAT? Could you expand a little - as a spoiler - where and when that little spoilt brat did it?

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278917
01/17/05 07:50 PM
01/17/05 07:50 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
I havent read the new book yet because all I heard was bad reviews. I will proably read it anyway. I hope that it is not really that bad.

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278918
01/17/05 11:21 PM
01/17/05 11:21 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Quote:
Originally posted by JDunn9232:
this book made it seem he was visited by the Queer Eyes for the Straight Guy or something.
Nah, he was visited by Fredo :rolleyes:

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278919
01/19/05 05:46 PM
01/19/05 05:46 PM
home of the wildcats, kentucky
belle Offline
Wiseguy
belle  Offline
Wiseguy
home of the wildcats, kentucky
I got the book for Christmas OH MIO DIO what a travesty. I my self am a very nice college kid but I'd like to get up close to Winegardner and BADA BING get his brains all over my University of Kentucky sweatshirt! Nah, on second thought he's not worth the bullet.

Winegardner sleeps with the fishes.
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278920
01/30/05 07:35 PM
01/30/05 07:35 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonGenco:
Thank you, Winegardner is a name that, hopefully, will make all Godfather fans kringe like what the name Hitler does to jews.
You know what, the book wasn't great. But your statement comparing a work of fiction to the adrocity suffered by an entire race of people is simply disgusting. I'm NOT Jewish but was completely offended by your remark.

Maybe you ought to get your priorities in order before making such ridiculous comparisons.

Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278921
02/02/05 02:45 PM
02/02/05 02:45 PM
Queens,NY
Don Rocco Perilli Offline
Associate
Don Rocco Perilli  Offline
Associate
Queens,NY
Yo. The book was worth reading and the story was good. I dont go for none of that holier-than-thou $h!t with the GF~GFR, just like Frank Rizzo dont go with that union $h!t. I didnt like the ending too much, but everything in the book Puzo would have felt very complimented on what this other guy did with his story. YEAYEAYEA,talk all u want this and that negativeblahblah...than again some of u would actually have ERNIE in yer family or Mike C with a made position....than again most people love sensationaliZm.

/everything in Queens is ours. dont touch, dont take./

____/
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278922
02/07/05 10:43 PM
02/07/05 10:43 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Michael Kudione Offline
Associate
Michael Kudione  Offline
Associate
Pittsburgh, PA
I just got finished with the book today. My assessment is:

-Tough to be original working with another person's characters. Winegardner had to come up with a little of something in everyone to personalize this story.

-He could have been more original in the plot though, literally stealing the entire Rat Pack/Kennedy/Cuba/CIA thing. I know Puzo did a little of this with Fontane and such, but there wasnt enough original plot for me.

-The book kept me reading and wanting to read more, though, which is the main thing you want in a book, I guess.

-Could have used more Francesca/Billy Van Arsdale in my opinion. Good sideplot and showed Francesca to have the Sicilian cunning gene.

-I kind of liked that they showed Michael as a character with the flaw of not always being right (questioned with the Fredo appointment of Underboss and his dream of Cuba when everyone else knew it wouldnt happen).

-Didnt mind the Fredo character flaw, as he never got into any kinda of detail about the actual sex. That would have been bad.

"Freddie, you're my older brother, I have respect for you. But don't ever take sides with anybody against the Family again."
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278923
02/10/05 09:53 PM
02/10/05 09:53 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Seems that everything you like about the book are the main arguenig points of why everyone hated it. So far you are the only person on earth to say the book kept you reading.As for Michael's "character flaws", anyone who has seen the movies would know that even fredo was not as stupid as Winegardener wants you to believe Michael is.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Wow....A Horrible Dissapointment #278924
03/02/05 02:35 AM
03/02/05 02:35 AM
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Pippi De Lena Offline
Wiseguy
Pippi De Lena  Offline
Wiseguy
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
I'm sure if Winegardner where here right now he would say that the writting of the book was "Only business and not personal." I think he was only in it for the money as so far the story is really unbelievable. I mean Micheal in a picnic lunch? Fredo is a Bisexual? Kay a nympho? Also does it bother anyone else that as soon as the story gets interesting he changed characters and you had to start all over again with a different story until that one got interesting and then he changed the story again. The worst insult of all is having a story of Micheal verses Tony Soprano ... er I mean Geraci. I mean c'mon we know Micheal could kick Tony Soprano's ass so why base your villian basically on him? I thought Puzo had notes for the movie Godfather Part 4 so why couldn't they have taken those notes and come up with a better story from them? By the way speaking as a Canadian I hate it when Americans say that Canadians have an accent and pronounce words like "about" or "out" like "aboot" or "oot". Canadians don't do that and it really annoys me that Winegardner couldn't do a little research and realize that's not how Canadians talk. I say let me in Random House and have me come up with a better sequel that the fans would find more acceptable. One of the reasons I like Puzo's writting was that he wrote the way I think and talk.

-Pippi

You're taking this very personal. Tom, this is business and this man is taking it very very
personal.

Sonny Corleone

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull