GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BarrettM, Irishman12, U talkin' da me ??), 255 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,452
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25565
08/06/02 01:53 PM
08/06/02 01:53 PM
Chicago
Elliott Templeton Offline OP
Associate
Elliott Templeton  Offline OP
Associate
Chicago
One of the rewards of seeing The Godfather on DVD is hearing Francis Coppola’s remarkably candid and informative director’s commentary. In it Coppola reveals that many of the brilliant elements of the film that seem integral to its genius were in fact afterthoughts, and in some cases, accidents.

[Linked Image]

Consider, for example, the opening scene, “I believe in America,” in which a grieving undertaker asks Don Corleone for justice in a brutal attack on his daughter. Coppola admits that his original idea was to start with the wedding party outside and only after the setting had been established would he focus on the Godfather himself and the favors asked of him. Instead, a friend who had admired the unusual opening scene in Patton , whose screenplay Coppola had written, asked if The Godfather would begin with a similarly creative opener. Coppola thought about it and came up with the idea of starting with a close-up of the undertaker’s face and then doing a slow pull back shot to reveal that the listener was the title character.

The cat on Marlon Brando’s lap in this first scene was another inspiration. Coppola didn’t plan it, but a feline that had been hanging out at the New York City studio where this interior shot was filmed found its way onto Brando’s lap and became a perfect and ironic prop for the discussion of impending bloodshed.

One of the many comic touches in the first film is the shot of hitman Luca Brasi practicing his tribute to Don Corleone in the garden before being admitted to the inner chamber. In the commentary, Coppola tells us that Luca was played by a professional wrestler who in real life had trouble memorizing his lines. In a brilliant stroke, Coppola turned reality into art by incorporating the rehearsal of the speech into the film’s plot.

Yet another scene that today seems pre-ordained but was in fact an improvisation was the filming of the private meeting between the Godfather and Johnny Fontane. Fontane was another role played by a non-actor, in this case singer Al Martino. In the scene the camera catches Don Corelone face on, but Martino from his back. Coppola says this angle was dictated by the fact that Martino couldn’t deliver his lines convincingly. Furthermore, Brando added his own creative touch to the filming by violently exploding and slapping Martino for not acting “like a man.” Coppola says Brando did this to try to get some genuine emotion out of the wooden Martino.

[Linked Image]

Coppola also reveals that Paramount’s Robert Evans (later mercilessly satirized by Dustin Hoffman in Wag the Dog ) did not like Nino Rota’s score. Coppola threatened to quit as director unless the Rota score was retained, an act of artistic courage that is hard to contemplate in today’s Hollywood. I suppose Coppola still would have given us a great film had another composer been used. But the music is so intrinsic to the soul and substance of the picture, it’s rather like trying to envision The Godfather with the part of Michael being played by Frank Langella or Daniel Travanti or Martin Sheen, actors who are all the same age as Al Pacino.

Regards,

Elliott Templeton
Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25566
08/06/02 05:51 PM
08/06/02 05:51 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Thats quite alot of cool stuff! I havnt watched it yet with the commentary but will do that right away! thanks for the info. wink
By the way welcome to the board!

You talkin' to me?
Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25567
08/06/02 08:06 PM
08/06/02 08:06 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Welcome to the BB Elliot! smile

Very interesting indeed! smile Luca rehearsing his lines and shooting Al Martino from the back...who would have guessed! Truly a stroke of genuis. smile

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25568
08/07/02 01:34 PM
08/07/02 01:34 PM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
Welcome to the boards and make your self feel at home. Enjoy your browsing and posting. Thanks for providing the info to those who didn't know it yet. smile

Guineapig.

Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25569
08/07/02 02:04 PM
08/07/02 02:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Great opening post, Elliott. Welcome to the boards!

Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25570
08/16/02 10:26 AM
08/16/02 10:26 AM
Da Bronx
BronxKing Offline
Underboss
BronxKing  Offline
Underboss
Da Bronx
I'm watching the DVDs with the commentary after putting it off for months. Now I say to all who have the set of DVDs,watch and listen to the FCC commentary. You won't regret it. There are great insights,trivia,filming 'tricks' and stories like those posted by Elliott Templeton but many more.

Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.
Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25571
08/16/02 01:24 PM
08/16/02 01:24 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Thanks for the information ET (lol) wink and welcome to the board.

Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25572
08/16/02 03:27 PM
08/16/02 03:27 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
welcome to the boards ET! did you see the "camera shy" bit player? grin this was after Don Vito talks to Johnny Fontaine regarding that movie of Jack Woltz. "you look terrible, i want you to eat." when Don Vito opened the door for johnny the bit player was shocked to see the camera or Marlon Brando and walks back.

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25573
09/04/02 04:48 PM
09/04/02 04:48 PM
T
Tattaglia's a Pimp Offline
Button
Tattaglia's a Pimp  Offline
T
Button
Yeah, the commentary starts out great. But, as the movie goes on, it seems that FFC is obsessed with talking about how he almost got fired. Yeah, we get the point, you were close to being fired, now talk about the movie itself!

I've had the DVD since XMAS, and I've only now gotten to watch the commentaries. I haven't finished GF1, but almost there. I hope the GF2 commentary is better. It should be, because FFC wasn't about to be fired when making that movie.

He never coulda outfought Santino.
Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25574
09/04/02 07:04 PM
09/04/02 07:04 PM
DC
pacino princess Offline
Underboss
pacino princess  Offline
Underboss
DC
Originally posted by Tattaglia's a Pimp:
Yeah, the commentary starts out great. But, as the movie goes on, it seems that FFC is obsessed with talking about how he almost got fired. Yeah, we get the point, you were close to being fired, now talk about the movie itself!

I've had the DVD since XMAS, and I've only now gotten to watch the commentaries. I haven't finished GF1, but almost there. I hope the GF2 commentary is better. It should be, because FFC wasn't about to be fired when making that movie.
lol You took the words outta my mouth! I know it got frustrating after a while. He should have never gone on and on about it like that.

Re: Coppola's Godfather Commentary #25575
10/22/02 09:50 PM
10/22/02 09:50 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline
Underboss
New York
FFCs commentary could have been a lot better. I did sort of like it because of its insights - it feels like I'm having a beer with FFC. But overall, I expected a lot more from an Oscar-winning director. In GFII, he forgets the character of young Don Tommasino - why not just redo or edit the commentary? I agree about the excessive "getting fired" thing, as if we are supposed to shed tears. Also, I think he is a bit coy to say that he didn't want to do GF2 and 3 - its a goldmine. He did it afterall.

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull