GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Evita, Havana, 1 invisible), 69 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,178
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,893
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272686
02/16/06 11:10 AM
02/16/06 11:10 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Sosa passes on Nats; likely to end career
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

There was no teary press conference. No wave goodbye. Not even a word or a sighting of the man himself.

But barring something shocking, Wednesday marked the final chapter in the historic, controversial, always-riveting career of Sammy Sosa.

Sammy Sosa
Right Field
Baltimore Orioles

Code:

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM 	HR 	RBI 	R 	OBP 	AVG
102 	14 	45 	39 	.295 	.221

CAREER STATISTICS
GM 	HR 	RBI 	R 	OBP 	AVG
2240 	588 	1575 	1422 	.345 	.274
Sosa didn't formally announce his retirement Wednesday. He merely notified the Washington Nationals that he was respectfully passing on their much-publicized one-year, $500,000, non-guaranteed contract offer.

But even Sosa's agent, Adam Katz, didn't attempt to pretend there's some stunning comeback on Sosa's horizon. Not with the Nationals. Not with the Yomiuri Giants. Not even for a few weeks, with that WBC dream team from the Dominican Republic.

Nope. This, Katz said, was clearly it.

"We're not going to put him on the retirement list," Katz told ESPN.com. "We decided that [not putting him on that list] was the best thing to do. But I can say, with reasonable certainty, that we've seen Sammy in a baseball uniform for the last time."

Assuming that's true, Sosa will head for the golf course just 12 home runs away from the 600 Homer Club -- a club with only four ridiculously famous members (Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds and Willie Mays).

At the moment, no one stands between Sosa (at 588 homers) and Mays (660). So Sosa will rank No. 5 on the all-time list for the foreseeable future -- at least until Junior Griffey (536) or A-Rod (429) or someone else passes him by.

Those 12 home runs were dangling out there, as incentive for Sosa to play. But apparently, they weren't enough incentive for him to risk embarrassing himself on his way down the exit ramp.

"Sammy spent a lot of time ruminating on this," Katz said. "And it basically came down to this: He has such high expectations for himself, and last year was absolute misery for him, the way he under-performed. Sammy just didn't want to put himself through the possibility of going through something like that again. He still thinks he can do it. But there's some doubt there."

There also weren't enough dollars there to help him cushion the fall -- if there was going to be a fall. But Katz flatly rejected any suggestion that Sosa walked because the money wasn't worth his while.

"This was not a money issue," Katz said. "The Nationals were very respectful throughout this thing. Was the money fabulous? No. Was it part of the decision-making process? Absolutely. But it basically came down to the expectations Sammy sets for himself.

"I'm not going to sit here and say money wasn't a consideration in the decision-making process. But by no means was it the only thing involved. In the end, the money was a secondary, maybe even a tertiary, consideration."

Once, Sosa owned this sport. Once, he was more popular in the city of Chicago than deep-dish pizza. Once, he seemed to be a symbol of all that was good about baseball.

His page in the encyclopedia will show he had more 60-homer seasons (three) than anybody who ever swung a bat. In the eight seasons, from 1996 through 2003, he averaged 51 homers. And nobody else in the sport was within 40 of him in that astonishing slice of baseball time.

But it's been one messy tumble down the mountainside over these last three years. Cork exploded out of his bat. Clouds hovered over his accomplishments. He got subpoenaed by Congress, and suddenly forgot how to speak English.

The Cubs all but booted him out of town. His final season in Baltimore was a nightmare (.221, 14 HR, 45 RBI and just a .295 slugging percentage). And it wasn't just painful every time he looked at the stat sheet. A nasty foot infection made it difficult for him to walk, let alone pound baseballs onto Eutaw Street.

But as he headed over the horizon Wednesday, Katz wasn't thinking much about Sosa's stumble toward the finish line. Katz called him "a humble and decent man" who made massive contributions to his sport.

"We don't need to restate those contributions now," Katz said. "They were powerful and prolific. Everyone who is an athlete, their career comes to an end at some point. And regardless of what others may think, I think Sammy has conducted himself with a great deal of dignity."

Jayson Stark is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Goodbye, Mr. Corked Bat!

Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272687
02/16/06 11:19 AM
02/16/06 11:19 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
C'mon JJ....get into the fantasy baseball game.

Most of the Yankees are so terrible that except for A Rod and Jeter and Johnson and Rivera, I think you'll be able to get as many of them as you want in the draft.

As far as Sammy goes.....

He had a nice little run there for a while. His epic homer run battle with McGwire that one year really rejuvenated baseball after the game was left languishing following the strike in '94.

Too bad his accomplishments were marred by his suspected steroid use, but unless absolute proof that he used them ever surfaces, I think he's a Hall-of-Famer for sure.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272688
02/16/06 11:20 AM
02/16/06 11:20 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
C'mon JJ....get into the fantasy baseball game.

Most of the Yankees are so terrible that except for A Rod and Jeter and Johnson and Rivera, I think you'll be able to get as many of them as you want in the draft.
How does it work?

Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272689
02/16/06 12:01 PM
02/16/06 12:01 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Atta boy

It's a "Points Only" game (none of that stupid head-to-head stuff that gets everyone insane when people drop out in the middle).

A live draft, and once you've picked your team and decided on your starters, you can do as little or as much managing as you want to, altho the way the game is set up your pitching staff should get daily attention.

But even that....if you neglect your team for even a few days at a time, it's by no means a killer like missing just one friggin' day in the Salary Cap Game is.

Read through the thread, paying particular attention to my more recent and longer posts. Don't be scared off - a lot of it is repetitive, and at first reading it may sound more complicated than it actually is.

If you have any questions, post 'em there.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272690
02/16/06 12:20 PM
02/16/06 12:20 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Will do, thanks Plaw.

Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272691
02/16/06 08:29 PM
02/16/06 08:29 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fuck man! I used to be a really big Sammy Sosa fan! I have great memories about Sosa and Mark McGwire and the 1998 Home Run chase and I still think that although their accomplishments may very well be tainted the '98 season was a very good one for Major League Baseball.

Now, I just think Sosa is a buffoon. He acts like he doesn't speak English. :rolleyes: My ass, he doesn't speak English! I think he doesn't speak English when sports media reporters ask him questions about steroids and other stuff that he doesn't really want to talk about. Every time he speaks in Spanish or through an interpreter when posed with a "difficult" question I yell !Callete, cabron! !Tu eres un idioto muy estupido Samuel Sosa! at my television set.

In order for Sosa to regain my respect and admiration he should come clean in English or Spanish or Urdu or Arabic or Farsi or Gujarati or whatever the fuck about his use or non use of steroids to put up the superhuman numbers he has put up in his career. Sosa, McGwire, Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield and the rest must come clean about all their steroid issues to put an end to all the conjecture and to prevent the steroid issue from rearing its ugly ass head and continue to besmirch the good name of the sport of Baseball.

I'd like to say good riddance and !Adios, via con Dios! to Senor Sosa, but as a baseball fan and a former Sosa fan I do want to see any team in MLB give him a shot at a legitimate, completely steroid free season where he can contribute to said team's Pennant hopes. I think Sosa and his people know that he cannot duplicate his past success playing the game clean and straight up so he figures why not just retire and count his damn money.

I've got one thing to say to Sosa if he ever by chance gets this message: If I got a shot to play for The Toronto Blue Jays I would do it for free (Hell, I might even pay for the privilege). If I got a shot to play in MLB and I was paid $500 000 for it, I would play for The Washington Nationals (R.I.P. Montreal Expos), The Milwaukee Brewers, The Tampa Bay Devil Rays or even the AAA Kansas City Royals! Smarten up Sammy you're not God Almighty you may not even be a legitimate superstar Baseballer and you may very well be a no good, phoney, loser, cheat scumbag!

Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272692
02/16/06 09:09 PM
02/16/06 09:09 PM
S
Silvio Offline
Made Member
Silvio  Offline
S
Made Member
He used a corked bat, which in my book, is comprimising the integrity of the game as much as anything Pete Rose did. I dont see how using a corked bat got let off so light and roids are such a big deal. They are both cheating big time to add distance to your swings. HE SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HALL OF FAME

Funny how his stats feel off a cliff once the roids investigations got going. What a fraud.

Re: "Slammin" Sammy Sosa Calls It Quits After Rejecting Nationals Offer #272693
02/16/06 09:50 PM
02/16/06 09:50 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Silvio, seriously man. How could I forget about the whole corked bat incident? That is as you said definitely worse than anything Pete Rose ever did. Granted, Rose is no saint and whether he should be in the Hall Of Fame or not is still an open question (I for one think Rose should be enshrined by the by) but no one can place doubt upon the fact that as a player "Charlie Hustle" gave 100% and that is why he was the player that he was (arguably one of the greatest of all time).

Yup, Sosa does not belong in The Hall Of Fame and neither do Bonds, McGwire, Sheffield or any of those guys until or unless they come clean about what they did or didn't do.

No one has brought it up in this thread yet but I will. Rafael Palmeiro?? The guy should not even be allowed into The H.O.F. as a fan until or unless he apologizes for trying to play the people of The U.S.A, Canada and Baseball fans all over the world as suckers. As with Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Sheffield and the rest I used to be a very big Palmeiro fan and am now one of his biggest anti-fans. The guy is worse than Sosa, Giambi or anyone else implicated in the whole steroid scandal. Palmeiro should never ever even be considered for Cooperstown until as I said, he apologizes to all baseball fans in a clear and respectful public statement. Hell, Palmeiro shouldn't even be allowed into The City of Cooperstown or The State of New York for that matter unless he apologizes.

Regardless of what they have done on the field Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi (although he kinda sorta admitted what he did, redemption does not come after one solid clean season) Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Gary Sheffield and "Steroid" er..."Slammin" Sammy Sosa have been very bad for the game of Baseball and I will say again they should not even be considered for induction into The Hall Of Fame until or unless they either come clean and apologize or set the record straight.

Baseball, like Soccer, is a beautiful game and we should remember the super stars of the past like Hank Aaron, Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, Ty Cobb (a bastard? yes. a cheat or a phoney? no way!) Rickey Henderson, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth and Dave Winfield and so many others who played the game the way it should be played. We should also focus on current super stars like Carlos Delgado, Troy Glaus, Roy Halladay, Bengie Molina, Mike Piazza, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Larry Walker, Vernon Wells and Bernie Williams who have received the torch from the past greats and are now running with it or have been running with it for a while, playing the game the way it oughtta be played.