GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 314 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,996
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,164
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
VINCENT #25485
07/17/02 09:55 PM
07/17/02 09:55 PM
P
pinche88 Offline OP
Button
pinche88  Offline OP
P
Button
I really liked Vincents character , i was happy the that the mike gave controle over 2 vinny, he looks like a good boss a lil crazy but in that buisness they have 2 i guess! What do you guys think of Vincent~!

Re: VINCENT #25486
07/18/02 11:24 PM
07/18/02 11:24 PM
Iowa
Tom Hagen Offline
Capo
Tom Hagen  Offline
Capo
Iowa
Originally posted by pinche88:
What do you guys think of Vincent~!
One big contradiction:

The book explicitly states that Lucy Mancini is *not* pregnant with Sonny's child at the time of his death. Puzo must have gone along with setting this aside. A little Vincent would have made Lucy's Vegas adventures a bit different...

That said, Andy Garcia does quite the job. You think Mike Tyson got the ear biting idea here?

"All we have left is our friendship."
Re: VINCENT #25487
07/25/02 07:13 PM
07/25/02 07:13 PM
Washington, D.C.
Santino Offline
Button
Santino  Offline
Button
Washington, D.C.
Vincent is a great character for the movie, and while the story dosent really conflict with his existence. He's an excellent gangsta. When he bites Zaza in his ear, this shows his ruthlessness, when he shoots the two thugs who break in his house, this shows his negotiating skills. Vinny was great.

I am the GAME and I am that damn good!
Re: VINCENT #25488
07/25/02 09:16 PM
07/25/02 09:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Vincent makes a good juxtaposition with Anthony at that time in Michael's life. His positioning is one of the strengths of GFIII.
That said, Vincent isn't a very complex or well-developed character. We see him stepping in as Michael's successor toward the end. But contrast his ascent with Michael's development as the Don. No comparison. I got the feeling that once Mary was killed, Vincent just faded away.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: VINCENT #25489
07/25/02 11:26 PM
07/25/02 11:26 PM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
I thought he just plain out sucked up to Garcia's fake accent to his bad acting to his not looking Sicilian to him not being well developed and there not being a need for him or GFIII.

Re: VINCENT #25490
07/26/02 12:03 AM
07/26/02 12:03 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Turnbull,

I am in agreement with GP on Andy Garcia in the role of Vincent. mad Whether or not the character was necessary in the film or not, I wonder what your opinion is of AG playing the part. I don't feel he fit in the Corleone family at all and was totally miscast. What's your view? smile

By the way, shouldn't this go in the GF Trilogy section?? confused

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: VINCENT #25491
07/26/02 12:59 AM
07/26/02 12:59 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I think Garcia actually fit the character Puzo and FFC wrote for him--a second-rate choice to succeed Michael. Garcia was shallow, vapid and vain, a two-dimensional character compared with, say, Sonny and Fredo. As such, he was a perfect fit with a modern Mafioso: an unworthy, self-centered successor to a real Don. This whole thread is beginning to suggest to me something I hadn't thought about before: what was Michael thinking when he decided to let Vincent get close to him and to succeed him? I'm thinking it had something to do with Anthony telling him just moments before Vincent made his appearance at the party: "I will always be your son. But I will never work for you." It may also have something to do with Michael losing it in his dotage. To repeat something Solozzo said in GF: "The Don...was slippin'."

Re: VINCENT #25492
07/26/02 01:06 AM
07/26/02 01:06 AM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Originally posted by Turnbull:
I got the feeling that once Mary was killed, Vincent just faded away.
He was pretty steamed when she got shot.But thats weird a big tough guy who is the don having relations with his cousin.(if I had the face that barfs I'd put it her)

You talkin' to me?
Re: VINCENT #25493
07/26/02 11:55 PM
07/26/02 11:55 PM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Originally posted by pinche88:
I really liked Vincents character , i was happy the that the mike gave controle over 2 vinny, he looks like a good boss a lil crazy but in that buisness they have 2 i guess! What do you guys think of Vincent~!
First of all welcome to the boards pinche88. I thought Vincent would have been a good Don. He listens well to Michael (to precious advices), brave (eliminated Zasa himself with his own initiative) and obedient (followed his uncle to let go of Mary). A good follower can become a good leader. Downside to his strong qualities is his temper.

I totally agree with you The Italian Stallionette
of him being a miscast. From the very beginning of the film he was a complete stranger (not even invited to the party, lol). [Linked Image] I always thought Anthony would have been the successor but oh well. [Linked Image]

DC

"Life is so beatiful" - Don Vito in The Godfather novel
"My name is Michael Corleone...There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information" - The Godfather
Re: VINCENT #25494
07/27/02 12:35 AM
07/27/02 12:35 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Hi Dan Corleone,

Yes, I could never figure out why they didn't have Anthony or one of Sonny's boys go into the business. confused It would have been more interesting to see Anthony give up his career and become like his father. Vincent sort of just came in as a stranger to the entire audience and didn't seem part of the family.

I also found the storyline between Vincent and Mary, his cousin kind of disgusting and unecessary. eek That made the story and Vincent even less appealing to me. frown

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: VINCENT #25495
07/27/02 07:23 AM
07/27/02 07:23 AM
TheGodfatheress Offline
Wiseguy
TheGodfatheress  Offline
Wiseguy
It would have been more interesting to see Anthony give up his career and become like his father
...but wouldn't that just be like when Michael took over from vito, firstly saying he would never be in the business and then all of a sudden getting drawn into it...

** sono un capo rosso lo temo **
Re: VINCENT #25496
07/27/02 09:10 AM
07/27/02 09:10 AM
G
GodYankee Offline
Capo
GodYankee  Offline
G
Capo
Theoretically, if Michael had made the family legitimate, why would there be need for a new Don.

"Mio padre se chiamo Antionio Andolini, e quisto e per ti!"
http://blake.prohosting.com/awsm/script/THEGODFATHER.txt
http://blake.prohosting.com/awsm/script/godfather2.html

2003 Predictions:
Yankees win World Series over Cardinals in 6.
Osama bin Laden killed by the USA.
Re: VINCENT #25497
07/27/02 11:42 AM
07/27/02 11:42 AM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Hi Dan Corleone,

Yes, I could never figure out why they didn't have Anthony or one of Sonny's boys go into the business. confused It would have been more interesting to see Anthony give up his career and become like his father. Vincent sort of just came in as a stranger to the entire audience and didn't seem part of the family.

I also found the storyline between Vincent and Mary, his cousin kind of disgusting and unecessary. eek That made the story and Vincent even less appealing to me. frown
Yeah what was FFC thinking, hahaha. [Linked Image] It would have been at least better if Winona Ryder had played the part but oh well she got sick and delayed the shooting so what can they do right? [Linked Image] I guess that is one of the weak points in GF III, the grotesque/incest love story. [Linked Image] One of Hagans or Sonnys siblings could have been utilized but I guess they went the other way.

DC

"Life is so beatiful" - Don Vito in The Godfather novel
"My name is Michael Corleone...There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information" - The Godfather
Re: VINCENT #25498
08/01/02 12:37 PM
08/01/02 12:37 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
The variety of opinions about GF3 and the characters - especially Vincent - indicates that this effort was weak as compared to GF and II. I liked the character of Vincent, but having him rise to the top so fast was a bit unrealistic. He goes from being a leather-jacket, boorish thug to Mr. Suave-Tuxedo-Businessman-Godfather in an instant. Where were the rest of the "family". No suitable successors? Just this bastardo. or was all the family muscle atrophied from their attempts at legitimacy?
What's the difference between this board and the Godfather Trilogy? This is my first look here and the topics seem the same?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: VINCENT #25499
09/15/02 11:17 AM
09/15/02 11:17 AM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
Hi,
Vincent was what made GF3 IMHO. Andy Garcia's accent didn't hurt the movie. We could always assume that Vincent spent alot of time in Spanish Harlem and picked up the dialect. Andy also played an Italian in The Untouchable and was convincing in the role.

Paul

http://kingfish4400.webstore.com/

blu-ray/dvd/vhs/more. 1449 + titles. PRICE DROP ON ALL TITLES + 30 percent off all titles, free shipping, one bus day handling time, and guest checkout available- membership not required to make a purchase. 52 SALES to date. verified seller. BATMAN52 IS THE CODE THAT MUST BE ENTERED AT CHECKOUT TO GET THE DISCOUNT.

Re: VINCENT #25500
09/16/02 09:19 PM
09/16/02 09:19 PM
TX
Undule8 Offline
Button
Undule8  Offline
Button
TX
Actually, I was pretty unimpressed w/ all the children in GF3. That love story was SICK. And what happened w/ Michael's children? For being the Don's kids they didn't have very strong personalities, and I didn't get the feeling they were very smart either.

Did anyone else think Andy has a strong resemblence to Pacino?

Re: VINCENT #25501
09/17/02 10:08 AM
09/17/02 10:08 AM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
Originally posted by Undule8:
Actually, I was pretty unimpressed w/ all the children in GF3. That love story was SICK. And what happened w/ Michael's children? For being the Don's kids they didn't have very strong personalities, and I didn't get the feeling they were very smart either.

Did anyone else think Andy has a strong resemblence to Pacino?
Hi,
I think Andy had a stronger resemblence to Robert DeNiro in GF2.

Paul

blu-ray/dvd/vhs/more. 1449 + titles. PRICE DROP ON ALL TITLES + 30 percent off all titles, free shipping, one bus day handling time, and guest checkout available- membership not required to make a purchase. 52 SALES to date. verified seller. BATMAN52 IS THE CODE THAT MUST BE ENTERED AT CHECKOUT TO GET THE DISCOUNT.

Re: VINCENT #25502
09/17/02 12:24 PM
09/17/02 12:24 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Originally posted by Undule8:
Interesting. I thought Mary and Anthony were smart, strong, and independent. The only problem Mary had was she was naive.

Re: VINCENT #25503
09/17/02 01:01 PM
09/17/02 01:01 PM
South Florida
Goodfella 69 Offline
Underboss
Goodfella 69  Offline
Underboss
South Florida
I think Vincent wasnt too bad, But I would have much liked more to see one of Sonny's real sons take over the family buisness like Frank or Santino Jr. This would have gave the story a little more eliment and would have been less confusing. I also didnt like the fact that Coppola let his daughter play such an important role, It kind of makes me a little sore at Coppola for doing so because I beleive part 3 as a whole could have been so much better without the bad acting of Mary. The plot itself for the movie wasnt too great, I wasnt feeling the whole big buisnesse's and chruch ordeal, all very confusing. Part 3 either should have never been made or should have been something else completely, like part 1 stay the same, part 2 be all about Vitos rise to power and the Corleone children growing up, and part 3 be like Michaels scenes in part 2, all about him in Vegas and being a ruthless Don and the very end of the Trilogy would just be him sitting lonely with all the memories of his past. Would have been CLASSIC!

"Murders came with smiles, shooting people was no big deal for us Goodfellas..."
Re: VINCENT #25504
09/17/02 02:50 PM
09/17/02 02:50 PM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
Hi,
Coppola was forced to use his daughter after Winona Ryder walked out on him and the production due to illness.

Paul

Re: VINCENT #25505
09/18/02 09:26 PM
09/18/02 09:26 PM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:
This whole thread is beginning to suggest to me something I hadn't thought about before: what was Michael thinking when he decided to let Vincent get close to him and to succeed him? I'm thinking it had something to do with Anthony telling him just moments before Vincent made his appearance at the party: "I will always be your son. But I will never work for you." It may also have something to do with Michael losing it in his dotage. To repeat something Solozzo said in GF: "The Don...was slippin'."
i thought the same thing before. it seemed real odd. at first, it seemed that michael didn't really know vincent as connie said, "sonny's boy" to mike. but then, it's apparent that vincent and michael had contact because mike said he offered a job to vincent, but vinnie took a job w/ zaza.

then, after biting zaza's ear. mike takes in vincent very quickly and vincent is there by mike's side all the time.

the whole relationship felt phony and awkward. then, the incredibly awkward scene IMO when michael annoints vincent as don.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: VINCENT #25506
09/25/02 01:03 AM
09/25/02 01:03 AM
Maryland
LucyMancini1 Offline
Associate
LucyMancini1  Offline
Associate
Maryland
frown I liked Vincent mainly because I like Andy Garcia, but I admit he did seem miscast. confused I found a lot of GF3 boring. The relationship between Vincent and Mary was unnecessary and frankly disgusting. I did like the parts where Mike & Kay interacted.

Whatya gonna do? Nice college boy huh? Don't wanna get mixed up in the family business? Now you wanna gun down a police officer because he slapped you in the face a little bit, huh? Whatya think this is the army, where you shoot 'em a mile away? You gotta get up close like this.. badaBING! you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit.
Re: VINCENT #25507
09/26/02 09:55 AM
09/26/02 09:55 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by puppeteer:
[QUOTE]then, after biting zaza's ear. mike takes in vincent very quickly and vincent is there by mike's side all the time. the whole relationship felt phony and awkward. then, the incredibly awkward scene IMO when michael annoints vincent as don.
It is an awkward scene, Puppeteer. But it occurs to me that it might be understood in the context of a major subtheme of GFIII: how Vincent and Michael used each other.
Vincent, egged on by Connie, forced himself on Michael so that he could move up in the world. He crashed the party, probably because he (or more likely, Connie) knew Zasa would be there bad-mouthing him. Instead of accepting reconciliation with Zasa, he bit his ear. This forced Michael to choose between protecting Vincent or leaving him to Zasa--Michael probably would have preferred to have nothing to do with either Vincent or Zasa. Michael seemed amused to have Vincent around as a general gofer and protege. But after the Atlantic City shootup and Michael's seizure, Vincent saw another opportunity to ratchet up his career--by enlisting Neri's and Connie's support to kill Zasa while Michael was unable to stop him. That act forced another inimical choice on Michael: dump Vincent or promote him. Meanwhile, by romancing Mary, Vincent was trying to force Michael to accept him as a real family member instead of an illegimate hanger-on. But by that time, Michael realized that his "true enemy" wasn't a common pazzo like Zasa, but a dangerous combination of Altobello, Lucchesi and various nefarious figures associated with Immobiliari and the Vatican Bank. He also realized that his own failing health was a big handicap. His life was in danger. He also was terribly frustrated: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." Michael really wanted out. How to stay out? He anointed Vincent as his successor. That way, Vincent would take the responsibility of protecting Michael, take the risks and be the target. Oh, and there was a quid pro quo: Vincent had to dump Mary. If things had worked out the way Michael wanted, the Vatican would have approved the Immobiliari deal, Michael would have been completely legit (and filthy rich), and Vincent, after killing Michael's enemies, would have become the heir to the semi-legit and non-legit remnants of the Corleone empire, the lightning rod for Michael's criminal former associates and potential enemies--and history as far as Mary was concerned.

Re: VINCENT #25508
09/26/02 10:20 AM
09/26/02 10:20 AM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
Hi,
Seeing Vincent bite Zasa's ear always make me laugh. It also is part of the act in the opera. Life imitates art. Also the puppet scene in which the girl dies is the same as Mary's death at the end of the film. Zasa called Vincent a Bastardo and Vincent reacted like his father would. This is in the movie so the audience can see the parallels between both men, Sonny and Vincent.

Re: VINCENT #25509
09/26/02 05:51 PM
09/26/02 05:51 PM
New Orleans
Guinea Guarino Offline
Wiseguy
Guinea Guarino  Offline
Wiseguy
New Orleans
I think Andy Garcia is so hot. Sorry, but I just had to say that. wink

The Mafia is like fire: It can keep you warm or it can burn you alive.
Re: VINCENT #25510
09/26/02 06:50 PM
09/26/02 06:50 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
How'd I miss this? Moving to Godfather Trilogy forum since this has nothing to do w/ the DVD in particular...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull