GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 57 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,152
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,804
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269158
11/05/05 02:26 PM
11/05/05 02:26 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline OP
Just Lou  Offline OP

The Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday suspended Terrell Owens for an indefinite period for conduct detrimental to the team, a catch-all sanction that club officials decided to impose after deliberating much of Friday over how to address the latest flap with the loquacious wide receiver.

Owens will miss the Eagles' key Sunday night game against the Washington Redskins and it is uncertain when, or if, he will return to the team. Under terms of the league's collective bargaining agreement, a player can be suspended for a maximum of four contests for conduct detrimental to the team.

The suspension will cost Owens $205,882 for every game he misses, based on his salary of $3.5 million for this season.

It is not certain if Owens, who was suspended for a week in training camp, will appeal the latest sanction by Eagles officials. Agent Drew Rosenhaus did not immediately return messages on Saturday afternoon.

Rookie Reggie Brown, a second-round draft choice, is expected to replace Owens in the starting lineup.

Critical of quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' organization during a Thursday appearance on ESPN, Owens issued a private apology to teammates on Friday, followed by a public apology in which he read a terse statement. One team source said Saturday, though, that Owens' apologies failed to fully comply with all of the conditions that club officials, including coach Andy Reid, had stipulated.

Even after the apology, team officials told ESPN.com on Friday afternoon and reiterated later in the evening that the situation with Owens was still under review, and hinted that a suspension remained a possibility. Said one team official at the time: "All options remain on the table."

The suspension culminated another week of unrest with Owens. Early in the week, he apprised Philadelphia officials that he had sprained his ankle in last Sunday's loss to the Denver Broncos, and might require some time off. One day later, he was back at practice and seemingly prepared to play against the Redskins on Sunday night, at least before the latest incendiary incident.

In seven games this season, Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six touchdowns.

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269159
11/05/05 02:41 PM
11/05/05 02:41 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Too bad I'm not playing Zo this week in fantasy football. :p

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269160
11/05/05 03:21 PM
11/05/05 03:21 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

It's about time somebody did something about him. You can only allow his kind of behavior to go so far. I think he was just asking for this though. I doubt that he'll be let go from the team because he's got too much time left on his contract. As long as it deflates his ego a little it's good.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269161
11/06/05 11:18 AM
11/06/05 11:18 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
I'm surprised because once I saw the apology it sounded as if TO understood the reason why his 100th career TD wasn't celebrated by the Eagles. That's a team culture difference that I think he wasn't genuinly aware of. Other organisations would celebrate that but this organisation, Philly, don't.

But he's got to stop criticising McNabb. His words were taken out of context but as a team player you've got to say the right things. You don't talk about other team mates publicly and certainly don't choose another QB in the league over the one you've got. They're just simple tacit rules that all players should recognise and live by.

Update: I've just heard rumours that it sounds a lot worse than first reported. KFFL claim fights were started with players and then TO challenged others as well. If this is true it has to be final straw - surely!

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269162
11/06/05 11:46 AM
11/06/05 11:46 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I think one thing that was states was T.O. was told to apologize to the team. He made the brief statement on tv, but that he never actually apologized to his teammates as requested. I think there was flack over someone else being named team captain or something, and that blew him off too. I think what's reported on tv is just the tip of the iceberg. But then again, Philly knew what kind of hot head they were getting when they signed him. Beware what you wish for!!!

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269163
11/07/05 05:13 PM
11/07/05 05:13 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

T.O. is out for the rest of the season. WOW! They're not feeling the love in the city of Brotherly Love.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Terrell Owens won't return to the Philadelphia Eagles this season, coach Andy Reid said Monday.

The outspoken star receiver was suspended for Sunday night's 17-10 loss at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games. After that, the Eagles plan to deactivate Owens for the rest of the season.

``The league has been notified by the players' union that they will be grieving our right to take that action,'' Reid said, ``therefore there is nothing more that I can say at this point.''

Owens was suspended over the weekend following a tumultuous week in which he criticized the club, fought with a former teammate and took another verbal shot at quarterback Donovan McNabb.

``I do want it to be clear that this decision is a result of a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time,'' Reid said.

Owens ``had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions,'' Reid said. ``We gave Terrell every opportunity to avoid this outcome.''

Owens was suspended Saturday, two days after he said the Eagles showed ``a lack of class'' for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game on Oct. 23. In the same interview with ESPN.com on Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback.

Owens was involved in a fight last week with former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas, who remains with the team as its ``ambassador.''

McNabb, who feuded with Owens throughout the summer and has been a constant target of his criticism, finally took a stand in the matter, saying the Eagles might be ``better off'' without Owens.

``Obviously it is tough losing a guy of his caliber, his ability, but I think we might be better off,'' McNabb said after throwing an interception that sealed the loss to Washington.

``I think what we did tonight, we showed that we played well together. I think we also showed that when given the opportunity, guys can make plays for us. We're 4-4. We're not 1-7. I think that's the way to look at it. For the guys in the locker room, we win together and we lose together,'' he said.

Asked to elaborate on how the team could be better off without its top receiver, McNabb emphasized the remaining players are united with the same goal of winning.

``Nothing against him and his attitude. It's just that when you get out there on the field, it's about playing together,'' McNabb said. ``I think we all played with a lot of attitude and a lot of adrenaline. Guys played well together. It was unfortunate that we didn't win this game, but I think it may be a steppingstone for us to move forward.''

Rookie Reggie Brown filled in for Owens against Washington and caught five passes for 94 yards, including a 56-yard TD reception. But the Eagles' offense continued to struggle and couldn't score the tying touchdown with three shots from the Redskins 7 in the final minutes.

The Eagles are 17-5 with Owens, including a 24-21 loss to New England in the Super Bowl. In that game, Owens had nine catches for 122 yards after defying his doctor's advice and playing 6 1/2 weeks after ankle surgery.

They're 2-1 without him in games that matter, winning twice in the NFC playoffs.

Owens has been angry with the Eagles since management refused to redo his contract just one season into the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004.

This was the second time Owens has been suspended during his controversial 10-year career. In 2000, he was suspended one game by San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci following his infamous touchdown celebrations on the Dallas Cowboys' famed star logo at the center of Texas Stadium.

Owens clashed with management this summer and earned a one-week exile from training camp after a heated dispute with Reid that followed a shouting match with offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

Owens forced a trade to the Eagles last year after eight seasons with the 49ers and invigorated the offense with his superior skills. He had 77 catches for 1,200 yards and 14 TDs in 14 games, helping the Eagles to a 13-1 start and nine victories by double-digit margins.

The bad blood between Owens and McNabb began after Owens went down with a severely sprained ankle and broken leg in Week 15 against Dallas. Owens was upset that McNabb and other players said the Eagles could reach the Super Bowl without him, which they did.

Soon after Philadelphia lost to the Patriots, Owens took his first shot at McNabb, suggesting the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback was tired in the fourth quarter of the loss.

McNabb responded harshly and the two didn't speak for a prolonged period in training camp. They eventually reconciled their relationship and performed well together on the field -- Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six TDs this season.

However, Owens continued to throw verbal jabs at McNabb during his weekly radio show or whenever he granted interviews.

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269164
11/07/05 05:25 PM
11/07/05 05:25 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I wouldn't let him sit on the bench and collect his checks. I'd work his ass in practice and in the game, involve him on every play, and never spell him for another wideout. Seriously. Send him off to do windsprints the entire practice or something just to kick his ass.

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269165
11/07/05 05:36 PM
11/07/05 05:36 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Some thoughts and questions...

Does he still get paid for the rest of the year?

If the Eagles were smart, they would have had some sort of behavior clause in his contract.

What a pain this guy is...

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269166
11/07/05 05:42 PM
11/07/05 05:42 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sicilia:
Some thoughts and questions...

Does he still get paid for the rest of the year?

If the Eagles were smart, they would have had some sort of behavior clause in his contract.

What a pain this guy is...
He doesn't get paid for the 4 games he is suspended but he would have to get paid for the rest of the games. The players association agreement is 4 games for behavior without pay, anything after that the team can only do a Keshawn Johnson type deal.

205,000 a week to sit on your ass, not bad

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269167
11/07/05 05:45 PM
11/07/05 05:45 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I wonder if his contract specifies that he has to play football only for the Eagles.

I mean, I think they could instill some humility by turning him into a beer vendor or a mascot, or better yet, with those dance moves, T.O. the male cheerleader!

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269168
11/07/05 05:58 PM
11/07/05 05:58 PM
New Jersey
donpaulpino Offline
Capo
donpaulpino  Offline
Capo
New Jersey
Update: I've just heard rumours that it sounds a lot worse than first reported. KFFL claim fights were started with players and then TO challenged others as well. If this is true it has to be final straw - surely! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, they were saying on ESPN today that Terrel Owens walked into the training room and said some people here are faking injuries. That lead to a fight between himself, and Hugh Douglas (supposedly no punches were thrown). Owens then supposedly challenged anyone else who wanted to fight in the Eagles lockerroom.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid"

- John Wayne
Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269169
11/07/05 06:01 PM
11/07/05 06:01 PM
New Jersey
donpaulpino Offline
Capo
donpaulpino  Offline
Capo
New Jersey
As an Eagles fan I tried to give TO a chance. I gave him far too many chances. I thought as the season progressed this problem would maybe blow over. It did for sometime but obviously broke out again. I think they should just release him, and on that note I think any team who would pick them up would be foolish. Despite the loss I think there is potential in the Eagles young receivers Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown. I feel that they show potential. However, If the Eagles can't win their next game at Dallas it looks like they won't make the playoffs for the first year in some time.

- John Wayne
Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269170
11/07/05 06:12 PM
11/07/05 06:12 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Man, the way the media is hyping this you would think that Philadelphia suspended Jesus Christ indefinitely! My take on the situation, Owens is a phenomenal athlete but as everyone already knows he is not and likely never will be a team player. His athletic ability does not trump the fact that on almost any team he is inevitably a liability. Owens is an amazing Wide Receiver but Jerry Rice or Cris Carter he is not.

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269171
11/08/05 04:08 PM
11/08/05 04:08 PM
New Jersey
donpaulpino Offline
Capo
donpaulpino  Offline
Capo
New Jersey
TO just gave an apology in a press conference outside of his home on NBC10 (the local Philly station) trying to cover his ass, however it's probably a little too late for apologies.

- John Wayne
Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269172
11/08/05 05:23 PM
11/08/05 05:23 PM
Just Lou Offline OP
Just Lou  Offline OP

Quote:
Originally posted by donpaulpino:
TO just gave an apology in a press conference outside of his home on NBC10 (the local Philly station) trying to cover his ass, however it's probably a little too late for apologies.
Eagles just released a statement they still have no interest in him. Good for them. I think any chance of the Eagles taking him back was killed when his agent held a press conference about 30 mins ago blaming everyone except T.O. for his problems, and stating numerous times what a great guy T.O. is. :rolleyes:

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269173
11/09/05 01:47 PM
11/09/05 01:47 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
This guy is such a dumb f--k who will never "get it." He had the ideal situation coming into Philly - a chance to play on a perennial contender and with one of the Top 10 QBs in the league. All he had to do was play and keep his big mouth shut. Instead, his mouth just costed him the huge payday he was seeking. He'll never see it as a signing bonus, but some team will surely give him an incentive-based contract with a chance to earn the big dough.

I'd love to see this talented, but out-of-touch player get hit while going over the middle and get hit so hard that he'd never be able to play again. The NFL will be better off if this guy just goes away.

Re: Eagles suspend T.O. indefinitely #269174
11/10/05 10:30 PM
11/10/05 10:30 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

NEXT QUESTION.

:p