GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,371
Posts1,059,524
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FFC - Commentry #25206
04/19/02 09:52 AM
04/19/02 09:52 AM
geelong, australia
injektilo* Offline OP
wizard of aus
injektilo*  Offline OP
wizard of aus
Underboss
geelong, australia
I just watched GF1 and listened to the commentry the whole way through. Must say, I was impressed, it gives a fantastic insight into how hard it was to film and how restricted they were.

But one thing sticks out. I don't think FFC has gotten over the fact that he almost was sacked. He seems to mention it every time he talks.

All respect to him, but he goes on a bit too much about this, i think.

Re: FFC - Commentry #25207
04/19/02 10:04 AM
04/19/02 10:04 AM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Did you find it distracting?

Re: FFC - Commentry #25208
04/19/02 10:13 AM
04/19/02 10:13 AM
geelong, australia
injektilo* Offline OP
wizard of aus
injektilo*  Offline OP
wizard of aus
Underboss
geelong, australia
No, not at all. Just strange. He kept bringing it up. Overall the commentry was excellent, however from reading this board, I knew a fair bit of what he said. So there were a few suprises, but not a lot! I will watch GF2 and GF3 with commentry next, and then probably leave it alone for a while, just watch them normally!

Re: FFC - Commentry #25209
04/19/02 10:36 AM
04/19/02 10:36 AM
sthlm, Sweden
Alberto_Neri Offline
Capo
Alberto_Neri  Offline
Capo
sthlm, Sweden
I agree with you about FFC mentioning that very often. I was kind of surprised that every single object had to do with him or his family, infact I almost got irritated by it. Its very clear from looking at that behind-the-scenes that he is the big man and bozzes over everyone. Like in that scene when Puzo says something and he almost ignores and goes on with his own stuff... In Carmellas wedding scene he says that no one would want to be in the coffin because it is not good because of religious reasons so they took FFC mother instead of Morgana king... I think its pure bullshit that she was the only one who voluntered, I bet there would have been a dousen of women out there who would have been glad to get that opportunity to be within one of the biggest movies in history. But it just feels as if FFC wanted the movie to represent him and his family. And when I started the third movie with his commentary I got tired of listening after 20 minutes because he only spoke about the songs that he got from his familys traditions etc...

"After all, we're not communists"
- Barzini
Re: FFC - Commentry #25210
04/19/02 01:57 PM
04/19/02 01:57 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by injektilo:
...I don't think FFC has gotten over the fact that he almost was sacked. He seems to mention it every time he talks...
He mentions it in every interview he does, everywhere he goes. I've gotten used to it. I like the story he told at Actor's Studio that he would fire his AD on Wednesday's to confuse the bosses, so that they didn't dare fire him on Friday's - pretty clever. And who knows, maybe they WERE planning to drop the ax, and due to financial necessity FFC found a way to keep a step ahead of them. Good for him, good for the films, and good for US!!

Considering the way things turned out, I think he's got bragging rights.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: FFC - Commentry #25211
04/19/02 09:52 PM
04/19/02 09:52 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Hmmm. Sounds like FFC had a dose of Andolini/Corleone running through his own veins! lol Personally, I haven't done the commentary thing yet. I'm too afraid it would be distracting. You know how we men are: we can only concentrate on one thing at a time (right-brained..or is it left-brained? Bird-brained?!?!)! wink

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: FFC - Commentry #25212
04/20/02 02:03 AM
04/20/02 02:03 AM
The Last Don Offline
Made Member
The Last Don  Offline
Made Member
i find it distracting..

TLD

"You go to law courts and wait for months. You spend money on lawyers who know full well you are to be made a fool of. You accept judgement from a judge who sells himself like the worst whore in the streets. Years gone by when you needed money, you went to banks and paid ruinous interest, waited hat in hand like a beggar while they sniffed around, poked their noses up your very asshole to make sure you could pay them back" Don Corleone to Bonasera from Godfather Novel
Re: FFC - Commentry #25213
04/20/02 10:47 AM
04/20/02 10:47 AM
Pompano Beach, FL
MobbingForMoney Offline
Underboss
MobbingForMoney  Offline
Underboss
Pompano Beach, FL
Dont try watching the movie then.

Put a sheet over your tv.

Re: FFC - Commentry #25214
04/20/02 11:50 AM
04/20/02 11:50 AM
Indiana
D
Don Munoz Offline
Button
Don Munoz  Offline
D
Button
Indiana
Of course its distracting, you're not supposed to be following the movie while listening to the commentry.

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
- Al Capone (1899-1947)
Re: FFC - Commentry #25215
04/21/02 12:53 PM
04/21/02 12:53 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Originally posted by Alberto_Neri:
I agree with you about FFC mentioning that very often. I was kind of surprised that every single object had to do with him or his family, infact I almost got irritated by it. Its very clear from looking at that behind-the-scenes that he is the big man and bozzes over everyone. Like in that scene when Puzo says something and he almost ignores and goes on with his own stuff... In Carmellas wedding scene he says that no one would want to be in the coffin because it is not good because of religious reasons so they took FFC mother instead of Morgana king... I think its pure bullshit that she was the only one who voluntered, I bet there would have been a dousen of women out there who would have been glad to get that opportunity to be within one of the biggest movies in history. But it just feels as if FFC wanted the movie to represent him and his family. And when I started the third movie with his commentary I got tired of listening after 20 minutes because he only spoke about the songs that he got from his familys traditions etc...
Zasa/Peppino/Senza Mama/Pennino/Coppola and others are all Puzo's Family.

Carmine Coppola was his father whop wrote the music with Nino Rota. There is GF2 flashback cut scene where Augustino Coppola i a gunsmith and his young son, Carmine, is playing the flute for Tessio and Hyman Rothstein.

A charcter from the book named ANthony Copola was changed to Francesco Nippi in the script, tehn cut from the movie.

GF Legacy hint that Francis got fired almost every week.

FFC: I want Brando
Ruddy: he's too expensive.
FFC: I hate pacino!
Puzo: Pacino HAS to be Michael Corleone.
FFC: We HAVE to shoot in NY!
Ruddy: Too expensive.
FFC: I hate this script!
Puzo: It's a BEST SELLING story!
FFC: It needs more killing, and LESS sex. Cuneo and Stracci HAVE to die too. Lucy, Juls,a nd Nino are GONE. Johnny isn't the star he's a BIT character, etc.

But we got to thank Francis for the wonderful Trilogy!

Re: FFC - Commentry #25216
04/22/02 03:15 AM
04/22/02 03:15 AM
Alexander Supalov Offline
Underboss
Alexander Supalov  Offline
Underboss
Hi!

Originally posted by injektilo:
All respect to him, but he goes on a bit too much about this, i think.
Perhaps, that constant fear of being sacked and the success of the cute counter-move still remain his most strong impressions from this movie. But I think it just shows how little time he had to prepare for the recording of this commentary, and how little care he paid to it.

Most of the stuff is somewhere in the books, so it's rather for initiating those who haven't been bitten yet. But it was amazing to learn how many scenes were shot by the second unit without Willis hanging around, the best examples being Mike's famous reappearance after the Sicilian sequence and most of the scene on the hospital stairs.

Best regards.

Alexander

You may wish to browse this GF FAQ of mine before putting forward another frequently asked question.
Re: FFC - Commentry #25217
04/23/02 01:33 PM
04/23/02 01:33 PM
Chicago
Daniel Corleone Offline
Underboss
Daniel Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Originally posted by Snake:
Hmmm. Sounds like FFC had a dose of Andolini/Corleone running through his own veins! lol Personally, I haven't done the commentary thing yet. I'm too afraid it would be distracting. You know how we men are: we can only concentrate on one thing at a time (right-brained..or is it left-brained? Bird-brained?!?!)! wink
HAHAHA good one. Just try watching but don't listen to what the characters are saying (put the subtitles). The Commentaries are interesting and really insightful. Gotta get your money's worth [Linked Image]

"Life is so beatiful" - Don Vito in The Godfather novel
"My name is Michael Corleone...There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information" - The Godfather
Re: FFC - Commentry #25218
04/24/02 05:38 PM
04/24/02 05:38 PM
Miami
D
DonAlx Offline
Capo
DonAlx  Offline
D
Capo
Miami
I dont think i could ever watch the godfather with the commentary, just listening to ffc talk for so long isnt much entertainment, id rather watch the movie without the distractions

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it......It was you, Charley." - Terry (Marlon Brando), On the Waterfront (1954). One of my favorites
Re: FFC - Commentry #25219
04/30/02 07:23 PM
04/30/02 07:23 PM
VA, USA
C
Clemenza's Evil Twin Offline
Associate
Clemenza's Evil Twin  Offline
C
Associate
VA, USA
The commentary gets old after a while, but that may be because I anticipated it as much as I did. From coming to this site in the old days, I already knew alot about making the movie, etc.

But it does seem to contain a lot of FFC family-centric references. Good for him, I say.

Re: FFC - Commentry #25220
05/10/02 12:48 AM
05/10/02 12:48 AM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
I didn't really like FFC after hearing his commentary for GF3...it seemed to me that he was making the movie more about him than Michael.

Like how Michael was seeking redemption in a sorta midlife crisis way, that was Francis.....cuz he was going through that in his life at that time.

I think it's cool that he used stuff about his family in the first GF, it gave it a sense of realism with all those tiny real life details, but, FFC got carried away with it by GF3.

Not to mention he got his daughter in the movie...his father in the movie is a great move, but not Sophia as Mary.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: FFC - Commentry #25221
05/10/02 03:05 PM
05/10/02 03:05 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
I think you will find that he relates to Michaels background and the family life and times.

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: FFC - Commentry #25222
05/10/02 09:15 PM
05/10/02 09:15 PM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by CamillusDon:
I think you will find that he relates to Michaels background and the family life and times.
Yes, I do not doubt that FFC can relate to Michael's background and family themes. In fact, FFC is the perfect fit to direct any GF related movie.

I am just saying that it just seemed like GF3 was more about FFC than the Corleones from what he was saying throughout the commentary.

I think that is part of the reason why many do not like GF3 because of its theme of redemption, which even Pacino didn't think was the right direction to go in GF3.

There was less of Puzo in GF3.

In the "A Look Inside" on the bonus materials disc, FFC was running the show at the script meetings...he didn't really listen to Puzo's suggestion. I know it's only snippets; therefore, I do not know the whole story behind GF3...but still.

FFC was so in love with the script because it was basically about him. Especially when he was reading Michael's lines when talking to Don Tommasino. FFC was all wrapped up in that. I didn't find it heart wrenching like how FFC was into it.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: FFC - Commentry #25223
05/15/02 07:43 PM
05/15/02 07:43 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Originally posted by puppeteer:
Originally posted by CamillusDon:
[b]I think you will find that he relates to Michaels background and the family life and times.
I think that is part of the reason why many do not like GF3 because of its theme of redemption, which even Pacino didn't think was the right direction to go in GF3.

There was less of Puzo in GF3.

In the "A Look Inside" on the bonus materials disc, FFC was running the show at the script meetings...he didn't really listen to Puzo's suggestion. I know it's only snippets; therefore, I do not know the whole story behind GF3...but still.

FFC was so in love with the script because it was basically about him. Especially when he was reading Michael's lines when talking to Don Tommasino. FFC was all wrapped up in that. I didn't find it heart wrenching like how FFC was into it.[/b]
BINGO! More Puzo, Less In-Movie Coppola, More listening to Pacino, a time machine, and we'd have another 5 star Godfather movie! Oh yeah, make sure Winona Ryder doesn't catch a cold this time!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull